• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Wow. Dont know what to expect of this. I kind of feel that the ship has sailed already and I mean, the original writers abandoned long time ago.
Ofc this is a megaton still.
So many people in this thread need to do research it's not even funny. Maybe you just don't care enough or you'd know original writers returned to Valve.

Jul 26, 2019
Half Life is one of my most enjoyed video game series. Witnessing a announcement of a new Half Life game is a sight to behold. I don't have budget for a VR headset in a near future but even it still makes me happy. And focusing on Alyx is great too. One of the most well realised video game character of all time. I hope a budget and acceptable VR solution for PC hits the market.

If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

source.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh you poor soul. I appreciate the positivity, but they've proven time and time again that they couldn't care less about making new video games to their beloved franchises of the past.
Well, if they're choosing VR to launch flagship AAA games, maybe there's actually hope this time. Another HL game is about to be revealed.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I think this will be the largest technologically-ambitious push that we have seen in gaming for a while. Financially it would be way safer and make more short-term sense to release an iterative 2D-monitor Half-Life title. But I expect Half Life Alyx to be an ever-green VR title that will continue to sell and grow alongside the market itself over the next decade.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
ok good for you its still a gimmick and valve just tryna sale vr sets... with this game they my get the percentage of steam vr users to 2%
At what adoption level will you magically recognize that VR isn't a gimmick? I mean, clearly the merit of the games themselves isn't relevant to you, so let's just have an intelligent conversation about how sales equate to quality /s

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What is about Valve threads that generates such idiotic hot takes?

Is it because they don't care about consoles and that upsets the warriors?

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I'm extremely curious what they've made. The Lab was a really strong tech demo, so if they have been working on this in hiding since then, it could be pretty special given the length of time this has been incubating.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Having slept on this... I think I'm more excited for this because it's on VR than if it was just another new non-VR HL game. I've played a metric shit ton of VR in the last month or two and there's so much potential for a big budget FPS with weird sci-fi elements. People sceptical should go check out Stormland, Vader Immortal and all of Valves smaller VR offerings such as the Lab. These games are some of my favourites in VR and you should also look up Boneworks for how awesome an FPS could/can be in VR.

It sucks that so many people don't have VR so are understandly pissed off that a new Half-Life game is VR. I wonder if we'll get mods to make it playable with M&KB down the road?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll get mods to make it playable with M&KB down the road?

People keep asking for this, but proper VR controls don't scale back down to KB&M correctly. This is akin to wondering if there would be a mod for Mario 64 that would make it 2D and let it run on the SNES. At best, you'd arrive at a fundamentally completely different game.

You can outright do things in VR, that you can't do without VR. it's not just gaming with the mouse mapped to your headset.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What is about Valve threads that generates such idiotic hot takes?

Is it because they don't care about consoles and that upsets the warriors?

Y'know, the same people saying
"Steam needs competition" "Epic is right to buy exclusives" "Exclusives are normal thing in the industry".

Even though, I doubt HLVR will be exclusive to Valve VR headsets.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
If some PC gamer goes into a console gaming thread to complain that it's console exclusive, they get banned for port begging.
Or to complain that Naughty Dog is a bad company because their roots are in 3D platformers and they have long abandoned that audience. That's literally how insane some of these mental gymnastic warriors sound regarding Valve.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
the phrase "run into the ground" indicates exhaustive overuse
How do you run something into the ground without...doing anything with it?
Sir, I think you are confused.
??
Call of duty
Fifa
Madden
Tekken
Street Fighter
Mario
Sonic
Final Fantasy

Are these all run into the ground too, with no hope?
$$$ and player base beg to differ
Ok, maybe I should have phrased it differently. I guess neglected would have been better? Ignored?
At least I don't approve how they have handled the franchise and that's surely something we can all agree on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because usually, it's the other way around. People getting litterally pissed off that their exclusive game isn't exclusive anymore. Which is far more common.

Not from what I see in here there is way more port begging than angst over lost exclusives. Most games went multiplatform a long time ago. Anyway my only issue with this is tying it to VR seems manipulative. I guess that is the only way they would make another one though so take what you can get I guess.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Ok, maybe I should have phrased it differently. I guess neglected would have been better? Ignored?
At least I don't approve how they have handled the franchise and that's surely something we can all agree on.
Rather than neglect, I think that they had a vision on where they wanted the franchise to go (VR was the perfect fit) and for technology to catch up to make that vision become reality.
Now more and more people have good enough rigs to run VR (thanks to the Steam Hardware Survey) that this all become viable to do now.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Y'know, the same people saying
"Steam needs competition" "Epic is right to buy exclusives" "Exclusives are normal thing in the industry".

Even though, I doubt HLVR will be exclusive to Valve VR headsets.

It won't. I'm sure you're aware, but having a one-size-fits-all SDK for VR is quite literally the entire point of OpenVR:

steamvrplatform.png

It may be exclusive to non-touch VR platforms in a functional sense, but it most definitely won't be Vive/Index-exclusive.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Rather than neglect, I think that they had a vision on where they wanted the franchise to go (VR was the perfect fit) and for technology to catch up to make that vision become reality.
Now more and more people have good enough rigs to run VR (thanks to the Steam Hardware Survey) that this all become viable to do now.
I sure hope you are right. I'd welcome it if this turns out to be a AAA VR experience. My fear is that it is just some glorified nostalgia trip to test the VR waters.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I sure hope you are right. I'd welcome it if this turns out to be a AAA VR experience. My fear is that it is just some glorified nostalgia trip to test the VR waters.
It's been mentioned plenty of times, but according to a leaker it's a 16+ hour single player game. They wouldn't call it a flagship game if it was anything but that.

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
So many people in this thread need to do research it's not even funny. Maybe you just don't care enough or you'd know original writers returned to Valve.
Marc Laidlaw is not back is he? IIRC he wrote the main story solely for HL+HL2 and got backup writers for episode 2 parts. I did know other writers came back (Wolpaw?), and I dont say they are not capable of writing good, I just questioning it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
People keep asking for this, but proper VR controls don't scale back down to KB&M correctly. This is akin to wondering if there would be a mod for Mario 64 that would make it 2D and let it run on the SNES. At best, you'd arrive at a fundamentally completely different game.

You can outright do things in VR, that you can't do without VR. it's not just gaming with the mouse mapped to your headset.
You're not wrong. I remember trying VRChat before I got VR, years ago. And that game controls radically better in VR as it was intended.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Not from what I see in here there is way more port begging than angst over lost exclusives. Most games went multiplatform a long time ago. Anyway my only issue with this is tying it to VR seems manipulative. I guess that is the only way they would make another one though so take what you can get I guess.

The project started with the intent of making a VR game.
How is that manipulative.
It wasn't some executive decision made in the middle of developement.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe between work, social obligations, engaging in hobbies and sleep, not everyone has the capacity to be completely up to date with every facet of the gaming industry at all times. C'mon friend, be reasonable.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for this. Need to buy a Quest asap!
Same way PC gamers get upset about console exclusive games. Which is more common?
nice edit
Bummer it's not Half Life 3. They should have gone full in with this one.
You can already see how upset people are that this title is VR-only. Can you imagine the uproar when THE Half Life game everyone has wanted for over 10 years is vr-only?

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
What a thing to wake up to.

If Valve is making a flagship VR half life then I need to consider buying myself a headset.