• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Personally I'm not gonna play a VR game as I don't like that form of gaming. Would love for it to be a traditional game.

Anyone notice how Valve announces a new Half-Life game the day Stadia is going live? Imo it's to take the spotlight from Google.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
There is no way to release a new standard FPS Half-Life after all this time and have it meet anyones expectations. Being an entirely new medium is basically the only way to reset those expectations and actually get something exciting and new.
I really really hate VR and don't wanna play Half Life in VR but i actually really agree with this statement. I trust Valve, and i hope this is the game that changes my opinion on VR. (Or be the first VR game that doesn't make me dizzy and nauseous after 10 minutes)

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's a spinoff game. If it was the real thing, it would be explicitly called Half-Life 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Will you need the knuckles controllers to play this? Nobody is using the knuckles' finger tracking because Rift and Vive don't have them and the Valve Index costs a thousand dollars. The only developer that would use them is Valve.

One thousand dollars to play the next Half-Life.

Oct 26, 2017
2019: "Why are they releasing Half-Life on VR? No one has that, they are limiting their audience."
2004: "Why are they releasing Half-Life on Steam? No one has that, they are limiting their audience."

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone notice how Valve announces a new Half-Life game the day Stadia is going live? Imo it's to take the spotlight from Google.
I doubt it. The announcement for this week was leaked, and PC Gamer ran the rumor. They probably felt it was worth getting ahead of the baseless speculation.

If you've tried good VR and don't enjoy it for whatever reason, that's unfortunate, but the revolutionary possibilities of the medium have clearly inspired Valve, and I'd expect a lot more VR titles from them.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'm interested in what gets shown but nowhere near excited. Valve has run the franchise into the ground and I don't believe that this will help restore it to former glory
??
Call of duty
Fifa
Madden
Tekken
Street Fighter
Mario
Sonic
Final Fantasy

Are these all run into the ground too, with no hope?
$$$ and player base beg to differ

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
2% of just steam's active users would be 1.8 million people

As if any game would scoff at selling that lol

Valve's last public estimate of VR headset users on Steam was 720K in December 2018. But that was a pretty big jump from earlier in 2018, and I imagine 1.8 million is a high-end estimate of the current PC-VR landscape (which just grew via today's Oculus Link update). With that number in mind: my guess is, HL:A will have no less than 55% attach rate (I mean, I'd love to guess 99% but I'll make room), so that's roughly 1 million copies, $30-60 a pop... then add in maybe 20K Valve Index kits sold because of this game, plus those people buying more SteamVR games (and giving Valve 30% of those software sales), and it's not a bad amount of money to recoup after however many years this game's been in development.

Additionally, it'll drive whatever Oculus Rift / Rift S users who *haven't* installed SteamVR to do just that, and who knows how many thousands of SteamVR software purchases that might additionally drive?

In other words, VR doesn't have to be the mega-hugest sector for Valve to make a dime off of HLA in isolation, let alone what the game may do to bolster SteamVR adoption. Even if HL:A's lifetime revenue doesn't surpass, like, a single day of Steam skimming 30% off of other games, it's still money.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will you need the knuckles controllers to play this? Nobody is using the knuckles' finger tracking because Rift and Vive don't have them and the Valve Index costs a thousand dollars. The only developer that would use them is Valve.

One thousand dollars to play the next Half-Life.

No. Knuckles will enhance the experience, but SteamVR changes inputs depending on the controllers used. Touch, Vive wands, any other motion controllers will be supported. Same with the headset, any headset that works with SteamVR (pretty much all of them) will be able to play HL:A.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Anyone remember this?:

jSJqrGD.png

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way to release a new standard FPS Half-Life after all this time and have it meet anyones expectations. Being an entirely new medium is basically the only way to reset those expectations and actually get something exciting and new.

I'm so sick of this pretentious nonsensical talking point that gets dredged up in every Half Life discussion. You know how you make a follow up to Half Life? By making an excellent game - that's it. There's no secret innovative paradigm shifting magical formula you have to discover to create a Half Life sequel that players will be thrilled with.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm so sick of this pretentious nonsensical talking point that gets dredged up in every Half Life discussion. You know how you make a follow up to Half Life? By making an excellent game - that's it. There's no secret innovative paradigm shifting magical formula you have to discover to create a Half Life sequel that players will be thrilled with.

Nah, he's right. Valve always want to push the envelope, even if they could still make an excellent HL3.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VR is fundamentally what makes this interesting, and why you should care. I don't trust Valve to innovate as far as "normal" FPS games go, everything has been done before. VR is a whole new ballpark, and Valve seems to be going all in on it recently.

This is as dumb as the anti VR posts. People are going wild for this because it's Half-Life, not because it's VR.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve's last public estimate of VR headset users on Steam was 720K in December 2018. But that was a pretty big jump from earlier in 2018, and I imagine 1.8 million is a high-end estimate of the current PC-VR landscape (which just grew via today's Oculus Link update). With that number in mind: my guess is, HL:A will have no less than 55% attach rate (I mean, I'd love to guess 99% but I'll make room), so that's roughly 1 million copies, $30-60 a pop... then add in maybe 20K Valve Index kits sold because of this game, plus those people buying more SteamVR games (and giving Valve 30% of those software sales), and it's not a bad amount of money to recoup after however many years this game's been in development.

Additionally, it'll drive whatever Oculus Rift / Rift S users who *haven't* installed SteamVR to do just that, and who knows how many thousands of SteamVR software purchases that might additionally drive?

In other words, VR doesn't have to be the mega-hugest sector for Valve to make a dime off of HLA in isolation, let alone what the game may do to bolster SteamVR adoption. Even if HL:A's lifetime revenue doesn't surpass, like, a single day of Steam skimming 30% off of other games, it's still money.

the user's post was that maybe the game will move SteamVR's adoption to 2%. 2% of the steam active monthly userbase of 90 million is 1.8 million.

There are already more than 1 million PCVR headsets sold, though. Oculus Quest alone has already sold over 400,000 units.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I was a VR sceptical, until I played Astro Bot.

That game completely turned sold on me on VR. And it was a game that could only ever have been a VR game, that alone justified the PS VR helmet.

If Valve makes a flagship VR game, that gives me an even better impression of VR then that game, then it will be a game changer.
Same. I was a VR sceptical until I played SUPERHOT and realized that this was something that couldn't exist outside of VR.

I'm really curious to see what a big Valve VR game could look like.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Nah, this needs to be VR.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems so unreal we're getting a new Half-Life. Hopefully it's not just a glorified tech demo to flex on how good they are with VR, but actually a full-blown game that would stand tall with or without virtual reality. Too many VR games only work because there's the immersion factor, taken out of context they're often very basic and unimpressive videogames. I have little faith in Valve as the last game I enjoyed from them came out almost a decade ago, but I'm ready to give this a fair shot if it's worth playing it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

There is also a think about them believing that creating a higher VR base on Steam would help kickstart a positive feedback loop (more devs making good/great VR games leading to more people buying VR kits which in turn increases the market for more devs) as well as long tail sales by the game (as most Valve games have seen huge tails).

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
More curious about what Source 2 will be and look like rather than whatever VR mechanics they came up with

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Wooh and my Oculus Quest just got PC link. Bring on the Half Life VR madness.

Go nice with my I9 2080Ti. It sure is great when you have what it takes to not be salty.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Honestly, I could give a shit about Half Life.
I'm more excited about someone other than Sony taking a huge hack at VR. I'm confident that one day in the future VR will have its Myst Moment, and while I'm not optimistic this is it I'm certainly hopeful!

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Dont know what to expect of this. I kind of feel that the ship has sailed already and I mean, the original writers abandoned long time ago.
Ofc this is a megaton still.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope this leads to HL3. It's hard to imagine Valve just doing a VR HL prequel after 10 years then just going "welp it was a good run"

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

it's not even HL3. It's a prequel. A well made, fun game would be received well regardless wether it's half life or not.
VR may have motivated valve more, but people acting like it's "needed" in any way to make a new HL (that, once again, isn't even HL3) is kinda eye rolling to be honest.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
kind of like how it's hard to imagine they would end an episodic game on a cliffhanger and go "welp it was a good run"
If they're resurfacing with HL after 10 years, that means they've actually had time to come up with a plan. Whereas after HL2, the episodic model seemed to have failed them.

Never ever saying "it's happening" again after EP2, but it's possible

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I really really hate VR and don't wanna play Half Life in VR but i actually really agree with this statement. I trust Valve, and i hope this is the game that changes my opinion on VR. (Or be the first VR game that doesn't make me dizzy and nauseous after 10 minutes)
If the game supports teleportation and you play it at 144Hz on an Index, sickness will be basically impossible. It may even just fine for you without teleportation.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this leads to HL3. It's hard to imagine Valve just doing a VR HL prequel after 10 years then just going "welp it was a good run"
Oh you poor soul. I appreciate the positivity, but they've proven time and time again that they couldn't care less about making new video games to their beloved franchises of the past.