• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I was a VR sceptical, until I played Astro Bot.

That game completely turned sold on me on VR. And it was a game that could only ever have been a VR game, that alone justified the PS VR helmet.

If Valve makes a flagship VR game, that gives me an even better impression of VR then that game, then it will be a game changer.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, VR only prequel is "neat" and all, but I cant muster any excitement for it. But hey good to see Valve making actual games again.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR is hardly new and its more gimmicky than anything.

Tell me all about the Amiga 3000 powered $50,000 Virtuality machine that weighed 350 lbs that couldn't run Doom was totally the same thing like you know what you're talking about. Maybe mention the kits from 1987 that were only ever in NASA laboratories too.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
can't believe we are getting a new half life, man i can't remember when was the last time i've been so excited for a game to be revealed

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
New Half-Life game announced!

Oh wait, it's VR

giphy.gif

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I honestly don't know why people give the anti VR posts any time. When you have 100k + likes on r/gaming they are vastly in the minority. If this game wasn't on VR it wouldn't be half as interesting.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I honestly don't know why people give the anti VR posts any time. When you have 100k + likes on r/gaming they are vastly in the minority. If this game wasn't on VR it wouldn't be half as interesting.
Definitely strange seeing these reactions in a forum supposedly full of gaming enthusiasts.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
... What.

Are you implying people wouldn't care about a new Half-Life game coming to PC/regular consoles? Because... They would.

Like, a LOT.

VR is fundamentally what makes this interesting, and why you should care. I don't trust Valve to innovate as far as "normal" FPS games go, everything has been done before. VR is a whole new ballpark, and Valve seems to be going all in on it recently.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It had to be vr to be worth the wait. A flat fps would have no chance of making a half-life-grade impact.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of VR but if there is one thing that gets me interested is a little thing like the new fucking Half Life game coming out. Damn can't wait to see more.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Lol Pretty surprised at the negative comments on it being in vr, sounds like literally a perfect step for a series that was so innovative. It's the same kind of reaction I guess whenever a new medium comes out and people get mad their favorite things will be somehow less pure or true,. It's like people being mad upset favorite books turned to a motion picture in the Olden times

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So there's no reason for Barney, Kleiner, and Eli (though RIP Robert Guillame) to not make appearances if this is a prequel to HL2, right?

Same with headcrabs and other classic creatures?

Combine too.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
There is no way to release a new standard FPS Half-Life after all this time and have it meet anyones expectations. Being an entirely new medium is basically the only way to reset those expectations and actually get something exciting and new.

Oct 27, 2017
Tell me all about the Amiga 3000 powered $50,000 Virtuality machine that weighed 350 lbs that couldn't run Doom was totally the same thing like you know what you're talking about. Maybe mention the kits from 1987 that were only ever in NASA laboratories too.
nice sarcasm totally what I meant
So is your hot take. Wipeout VR is anything but a gimmick. Blood & Truth sure as hell isn't one either, same for Asgard's Wrath, Hellblade VR (arguably better than the base version), Lone Echo, Astrobot and the list is too long anyway
ok good for you its still a gimmick and valve just tryna sale vr sets... with this game they my get the percentage of steam vr users to 2%

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok good for you its still a gimmick and valve just tryna sale vr sets... with this game they my get the percentage of steam vr users to 2%
So tell us, why is VR a gimmick?, you were told there are quality games on the medium, Valve is bringing over it's main line series to the medium because of the innovation potential, do you have any way to argue your statement or are you just shit posting?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know what would be the point of releasing a new Half-Life game at this point that doesn't push new tech. Major Half-Life releases have always been about that.
If Valve only cared about selling VR sets they would make the game exclusive to their VR sets, but that's not what Valve is doing.
But I don't even know why I bother answering you since it seems you just want to bring negativity into the thread. 🤷‍♀️

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
I just realised there's gonna be some humongous modding effort to create a "port" (of sorts) to play this without a VR setup, butchering the game in a process.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Very excited to see it running!

Hopefully the quest goes on sale at some point now, seems like a good entry point!
If this really is a AAA VR title, it will be nuts!
It will also be nice to see updated Half Life artwork for the first time in 15 years running on a new engine.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm interested in what gets shown but nowhere near excited. Valve has run the franchise into the ground and I don't believe that this will help restore it to former glory