• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

This is interesting. Only other rumor I've heard is Half-Life 3 VR, but that's not very popular. We'll know soon enough if they ditched whatever it is though.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Valve didn't have anything to say about the other two VR games in April. (Gaben mentioned "three games" years ago at a roundtable conversation with some journalists, so that's ancient news.) And my sources have given me downtrodden looks when I ask about what's going on with any other official Valve VR games but have nothing firmer to say.

Ah okay. Oh well.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve about to change the game, again.

I don't even have a vr headset but I'm hyped as fuck to see this

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
qox.gif

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
VR makes the most sense for a new Half-Life game. I hope it's a continuation and not a reboot/spin-off.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you have a gaming PC, right now the best option would be the Oculus Quest, it can be played standalone like a console or be tethered to the PC for this one (among other great games)
Last time I checked it starts at 400$, you can even get the PC only Rift S for 350$ on Black Friday.
These prices are literally inline with consoles.
i'm australian so an oculus quest starts at $650 for me. i'll try and look during black friday, but i'm not going to get my hopes up

Nov 8, 2017
Really excited to see the impact this has on VR! Hoping we look back on this one day reminiscing how it shaped games going forward.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I wondered the same thing, specifically because of Tresspasser. Thus, it was one of the first things I sought answers for in my reporting:
Tyler from ValveNewsNetwork reported on what seemed like full-body IK code a while back. Since Boneworks is a big influence on the game, I can't see how a full body won't be there, especially since the game would instantly fail in it's premise to put you in Alyx's shoes if there are no shoes.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Finally I can talk about this :)

First had the privilege of playing and working on it a bit over 2 years ago during my time at Valve. It was honestly already a crazy amazing experience back then, Valve has poured so much love, care, and though into the next story in the Half-Life universe. I can't even imagine how much they've polished it these last two years.

If the direction is still the same as it was some time ago, there's another huge announcement tied to this that'll likely happen simultaneously or soon after, which nobody has heard or mentioned anything of. That could mean it was scrapped or is under particularly tight wraps. I'm hoping for the latter :)

Knowing Valve they caught wind of the leaks and decided to drop it themselves so as to cut the press cycle short from all the absurd speculation.

Is the "huge" announcement hardware or software related?
Cheaper VR headsets?

Also VALVE are back....
The BEST are back.
Gaming industry to be reborn!

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
They better have different options for locomotion. I really, reaaallly don't want to teleport around.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Super advanced physics incoming? What else?

If it's really a prequel to 2 I wonder how they will surprise us with new enemies and stuff.

Please put an mp5 in for old time's sake.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It says something about the lasting power of Half-Life that after so, so, so many years of dormancy the responses in this thread are mostly filled with elation. Hopefully this is good stuff.

When it comes to the undying love for Half Life, It's because its place in history is pretty much mythical. Without Half Life there's no Counter Strike (and all the countless influences that game had on multiplayer shooters), without Half Life there's no Team Fortress and without Half Life there's no Portal. Soooo many beloved franchises that are all branches of this one tree, and what a tree it is.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Valve takes this opportunity to (attempt to) recreate the boon of mods and user-created content that followed the original Half-Life, but for VR. Powerful modding tools available at launch would go a long way.

apowhungo

Oct 30, 2017
oh my god i just bought an oculus quest last week, and they came out with link today, and now this.
i wont be surprised if i win the lottery tomorrow