• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many people have forgotten how thick and awesome and soupy the lore is in these games. It doesn't matter where in the universe or timeline this takes place, the Half Life/Portal universe is so infinitely interesting, dripping with lore and backstory. The jump from HL1 to HL2 in terms of story was so jarring and extreme, there's a ton of stuff they can tell between HL1 and HL2.

I'm most excited just to return to this spooky, awesome universe. The intricate world and mythos they've woven for this is endlessly fascinating. I really hope they tie in a lot more with what's been going on with Aperture Science.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice try at removing the context that this is a prequel rather than the concluding sequel they announced then went silent on years ago, and that it has the highest cost of entry by far of any title in the franchise due to be restricted to PCVR, which many of their fans do not have and can not afford on top of existing systems.

Both HL games launched on console 3 years after their PC version, a little patience might be in order.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
So this will likely be the Half Life title with the highest cost of entry for people with no PC or PCVR yeah? Nice

Are you some sort of troll? It's rumored to be a full fledged SP campaign around 12-16 hours. I don't know what's "lite" about that. You don't need to buy a Valve Index to play it either. Stop spreading misinformation.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I don't know who he is and I know a lot of people would react with "lol big nerd crying over videogames" but I find it AMAZING how videogames can mean so much to people. I love it. One of the most passionate industries I know.

Let's see what is coming up Thursday.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because Valve has been basically inventing VR for the last 6 years now. People keep asking "What does valve do?" THIS is the end result of basically the last decade of Valve's R&D.

I can't wait to see the insane Valve Knuckles integration this will have.

not only is this a new Valve game, this is likely going to set a new bar for VR. The epitome of what a VR game can currently be, with budget and weight put behind it. Basically the top of all the experimentation and refinement and research and development in VR all rolled into one huge game.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who he is and I know a lot of people would react with "lol big nerd crying over videogames" but I find it AMAZING how videogames can mean so much to people. I love it. One of the most passionate industries I know.

Let's see what is coming up Thursday.
His crying isn't just that a new HL was announced, it's that he broke the story of Valve making an Alyx-centric VR game months ago and a lot of people didn't believe him.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So many people have forgotten how thick and awesome and soupy the lore is in these games. It doesn't matter where in the universe or timeline this takes place, the Half Life/Portal universe is so infinitely interesting, dripping with lore and backstory. The jump from HL1 to HL2 in terms of story was so jarring and extreme, there's a ton of stuff they can tell between HL1 and HL2.

I'm most excited just to return to this spooky, awesome universe. The intricate world and mythos they've woven for this is endlessly fascinating. I really hope they tie in a lot more with what's been going on with Aperture Science.
I don't think people forgot the depth and greatness of the previous games... at all. I think they are turned off by the choice to do a prequel over the announced but unreleased resolution for their cliffhanger in this franchise and the higher barriers of entry due to its PCVR requirement.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
asgard's Wrath was released last month.

The fact I had to Google this game gives me the impression this hasn't changed for VR in the mainstream. It seems like a meaty game for VR, for sure, but not something that is wowing people by the droves to get into VR, if I'm making much sense here. Half-Life might have that power, especially considering if we even decide to include the Portal series under that umbrella, that overall brand has been missing a major release in almost a decade, and people are hungry for something.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I never played a Half Life game so I'm interested in seeing what makes them so well liked.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact I had to Google this game gives me the impression this hasn't changed for VR in the mainstream. It seems like a meaty game for VR, for sure, but not something that is wowing people by the droves to get into VR, if I'm making much sense here. Half-Life might have that power, especially considering if we even decide to include the Portal series under that umbrella, that overall brand has been missing a major release in almost a decade, and people are hungry for something.
One of the problems VR has faced is that the mainstream gaming press seems to totally ignore it, even the bigger titles. One interesting thing with a HL game is it's much harder to ignore.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really disappointed with people's reactions to this announcement, too many are writing it off sight unseen.

I'm an enormous Half-Life fan. I've replayed the original countless times, and I used to replay Half-Life 2 and its two Episodes annually. I never, not once, got bored in a single playthrough. They still, to this day, represent what I feel is amongst the most delicate and intelligent level design in first person shooters, with an absolutely absurd degree of encounter and location variety seamlessly integrated into one another. I've never correlated time relative to expectations with Half-Life 2: Episode 3, and have never expected it to be anything other than more-of-the-same quality of its predecessors. Half-Life is one of my favourite franchises ever.

It's exciting to see Valve go back to the series, but I'm oddly emotionless about the whole thing. Precisely because Valve has demonstrated apathy to the kind of experiences the Half-Life series provided, shelving single player experiences for the last eight years. It's hard for me to get overly excited that the next chapter in this iconic franchise is;
1) Likely helmed by people who've lesser experience with the franchise, due to numerous key staff leaving (see: Marc Laidlaw, who wrote the entire saga, left, and reverted to twitter to fanfic Episode 3).
2) Is a side story, not even a continuation of the arc that has been left unresolved for twelve years.
3) Requires an upfront investment of thousands of dollars (in Australia) to play.

Don't get me wrong; seeing Valve even acknowledge Half-Life, let alone make anything within the franchise, has me intrigued. I'm also still firmly in the camp that VR is the future; I love the emergent technology and if I had the money to blow I'd happily, readily jump on a premium kit of Vive. I've used VR, and I fucking love it.

But man, I just don't know. Valve is not the company today that was making the games I loved over a decade ago. I'm 32. I was 20 when Half-Life 2: Episode 2 dropped. 24 for Portal 2. I hope Valve has the chops to deliver a rich, authentic Half-Life experience irrespective of staff who've moved on. I hope it's a thunderous demonstration of VR. But I can also totally appreciate why some people are apathetic.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm just excited to see what exactly this game does with VR, and really interested to hear more about it and see it in action.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people are so excited. This game isn't Half-Life 3. If it were Half-Life 3, they would have called it Half-Life 3. They didn't. My expectations for this are low.