• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked but this thread is long

Oculus Quest through the Link works with SteamVR, right?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Happy that Half-Life lives again, but fack if I'm not going to say I'm not disappointed at my probable steep cost of entry. It's not something I can swing.

Oct 25, 2017
This is so nuts.
Guys I actually feel emotional.
What is happening to me
cxjrItR.gif

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The toothless subtitle makes me think this won't be a big game at all. I suspect it'd be called HL3 if it were. Seems like it's going to be a smaller scale VR tech showcase. Would love to be wrong though VR exclusivity is a dealbreaker for me either way. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
It's confirmed to be a full AAA game. Reportedly 12-16 hours long. It's not HL3 probably because of disagreements with story or maybe they are saving it for when VR goes mainstream.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
something really weird about this

i'm playing wow classic literally right now, which is what i was also playing when i last expected some kind of half life announcement

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Same rumors said it'll be playable on anything that's SteamVR compatible

Not rumors. Valve said their "flagship 2019 VR game" would work on anything SteamVR compatible, which continues to be the case based on my Half-Life: Alyx sources. From my April report:

Also, the Index was not introduced alongside a new Valve video game. We learned in February 2017 that three Valve VR games are on their way, but this week's Index event wasn't used to premiere any of them. In fact, that bad news was met with more bad news: only one Valve VR game is slated to launch by the end of 2019, and we didn't get to see or test it. (For better or worse, this game will not be an Index exclusive.) Valve's Doug Lombardi says there's "no announcement" on the two other games "at this time."

But seriously, y'all should check out my Ars story today on this. It answers more questions than any other story currently out there.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So this will likely be the Half Life title with the highest cost of entry for people with no PC or PCVR yeah? Nice

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
i find valve to be a hard company to root for. The best way I can describe it is that they seem to have a general disdain for their fans/customers. It always seems like their attitude as a company is that they know best, and while you might complain now, eventually you will thank them for whatever bullshit they're on now.

That said, the experience of playing Half-Life 2 for the first time is one of my most memorable and favorite gaming memories. If valve can capture any of that old magic I'll be there day 1 - and I don't currently own a VR headset, though I do have the PC.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, all of a sudden I regret selling my launch Rift.
TBH I have always had tinges of regrets as I did really enjoy VR overall, but being an early adopter I felt that I had seen most of what it had to offer (at the time, that is very important, just at the time) and even more important I had a chance to sell my launch unit and actually only lose $30. It was at this weird point in time they were somewhat hard to get and if you found someone who was eager enough you could sell it for little to no loss. That is exactly what I did so I basically paid $30 to "rent it" for a few months.

Welp, I will need to get a new VR unit probably. And a new gaming PC. And a new... ahhh fuck that nonsense. I will just wait for reviews to see if it is actually worth doing all of that before i go nuts.

Kudos to those who will be ready though. Enjoy.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
is this actually a sequel or HL 1&2 in VR?

Sequel to HL1. Specific events are unknown but there's a lot that happens between the games. The 7 Hour War (initial Combine attack), brokering allegiances with vortigaunts, the collapse of Ravenholm, setting up the underground resistance... and that's just what I can think of that's already known from HL lore.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked but this thread is long

Oculus Quest through the Link works with SteamVR, right?

I don't think it is supported at this minute - but you can bet on Valve supporting it. Currently Valve do all the work to support Oculus hardware, and Link makes it that much easier to get Oculus Quest hooked up.

HAHA!
Fluff I love you.
I LOVE EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!!!!

I hear you. The difference between knowing it's happening, which has been for a long time, and then getting the official confirmation

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I don't care if it's a prequel, a sequel or a stand alone game that erases all before it, I'm just happy to go back to that world.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm really disappointed with people's reactions to this announcement, too many are writing it off sight unseen.
I mean what do you expect when kotaku and other places imply that VR games aren't real games. shits systemic.
Nice try at removing the context that this is a prequel rather than the concluding sequel they announced then went silent on years ago, and that it has the highest cost of entry by far of any title in the franchise due to be restricted to PCVR, which many of their fans do not have and can not afford on top of existing systems.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nice try at removing the context that this is a prequel rather than the concluding sequel they announced then went silent on years ago, and that it has the highest cost of entry by far of any title in the franchise due to be restricted to PCVR, which many of their fans do not have and can not afford on top of existing systems.

lol

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't know how to feel about this, if someone mentions the words "Half-LIfe" within hearing distance of myself I will go play Half Life 2 immediately...but I don't own a Vive or a Quest and my PC is definitely not up to VR standards...so to place this I'm looking at at least $2000 just for hardware assuming it doesn't also come to PSVR.

The entry point is far below $2k now for a moderate PC for VR + Oculus Rift S

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
half life alyx? lol .... no ep3, no hl 3, but alyx. vr only. excuse me if i'm not salivating over crumbs.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Prolly about time to get some threadmarks and first post updates to get people educated on what this *is* so we stop getting the "lol vr 2 hour walking experience" stuff