• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

vr that much of a turnoff for people?

I imagine the fact that it's a VR game, and not named "Half-Life 3", leads people to assume it'll be a more small-scale thing. If they demonstrate that's not the case at the full reveal, then I expect hype will increase significantly.

That they call it their "flagship" VR game in the tweet implies it might be a bigger deal than people expect at first. We'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
rip yeah you'd need to upgrade. How does that thin hold up for regular games out of curiosity? Is it able to hit 1080p60 with something like RE2 for example?
It plays everything I play fine. I haven't played RE2 yet though I want to. But it ran modern warfare (everything except ground war) beta at around 70-80fps. Apex legends similar fps.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
time to upgrade to a Valve Index

But then I'd not be able to play playstation exclusive VR games, and you know there will be.

I know there are ways of using a PSVR on PC, but it's too complicated.

For me the best scenario would be for the PSVR 2 to be much much higher res and cover more of my field of view and hopefully be a bit smaller.

Well and fit on my head better. Right now the way it stays on my head is horrible. I've done all the things I can to make it more comfortable and it just isn't. Just squeezes my head if I want it secure.

There are a number of better designs that wouldn't do that that I hope they pursue.

If Sony does that but also makes it easy to use on PC, that would be optimal.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized we are going to see G-man again for the first time in 12 years (maybe)

And it's going to be in VR

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a bit of googling and apparently the 1050 ti can do VR decently enough but I doubt it would be able to play this game at a decent frame rate.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I have so many god damn emotions running thru my body now that it is confirmed.

I feel great, relieved, thankful, happy, joyful, confused (HOLY SHIT HALF-LIFE IS NOT DEAD).

But at the same time, I feel sad, depressed, lonely, disappointed, baffled, despaired, defeated (I don't have money to invest in a VR set right now).

Oof.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But then I'd not be able to play playstation exclusive VR games, and you know there will be.

I know there are ways of using a PSVR on PC, but it's too complicated.

For me the best scenario would be for the PSVR 2 to be much much higher res and cover more of my field of view and hopefully be a bit smaller.

Well and fit on my head better. Right now the way it stays on my head is horrible. I've done all the things I can to make it more comfortable and it just isn't. Just squeezes my head if I want it secure.

There are a number of better designs that wouldn't do that that I hope they pursue.

If Sony does that but also makes it easy to use on PC, that would be optimal.
I have a friend who constantly complained about the PSVR squeezing his head too tightly. Would give him headaches after 30-60 mins. Eventually he ended up cutting the cutting the rubber bands which relieved the excess tension for him. Still fit nicely too and wasn't too loose I believe

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Hope that's a working title. Can't say I'm a fan.

Any confirmation on whether this game is VR only?
So is it a built-for-VR game? Or a game that you can play in VR if you want to or play as usual on a regular screen?
This is not confirmation, I have no insider knowledge here and there's nothing public yet. But Valve have said multiple times they want to design a big game for VR, and my bet is this game is them doing a big experiment for VR that will only work in VR. I will be very surprised if there's a way to play this without VR, as I'm under the impression this game has been built specifically for VR from their own comments over the years and some murmurings about this game over the last year.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

vr that much of a turnoff for people?
VR+Spin off sorta with no Gordon+just an announcement with no gameplay

Still it's already got a shit ton of medals and likes on reddit already, might just be that Era isn't as PC focused.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
This is in the catch-22 position of needing to be either a true VR showcase with a limited audience by definition, or being VR-optional and therefore being less defining for VR. I'm surprised it's actually a product that's making it to release for that reason. Since they're calling it their "flagship VR game" it seems like it must be the former. I suppose VR hardware penetration has gotten to the right point for a major release like this in their estimation, but it's still going to have that limited audience. I wonder if there's a traditional Half-Life game also in development that won't have to compromise in that way.

But most of all, just wow.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Every single file and in game stuff is going to be examined to no end for a clue of HL3.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend who constantly complained about the PSVR squeezing his head too tightly. Would give him headaches after 30-60 mins. Eventually he ended up cutting the cutting the rubber bands which relieved the excess tension for him. Still fit nicely too and wasn't too loose I believe

It's still just a bad design because there's this big weight at the front. I have neck problems so that makes it so much worse. This would be better if there was a top strap, and if the whole thing was adjustable.

I'm really wary of mutilating this thing though. Tough risk to make. I didn't even buy it myself, it was a gift from my brother who got it really cheap. So replacing it if that failed would be out of the question for me.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll do a 2003-style demo on Thursday or if it's just a trailer. 🤔
Why not both? Honestly that's what I think they'll do.

This is in the catch-22 position of needing to be either a true VR showcase with a limited audience by definition, or being VR-optional and therefore being less defining for VR. I'm surprised it's actually a product that's making it to release for that reason. Since they're calling it their "flagship VR game" it seems like it must be the former. I suppose VR hardware penetration has gotten to the right point for a major release like this in their estimation, but it's still going to have that limited audience. I wonder if there's a traditional Half-Life game also in development that won't have to compromise in that way.

But most of all, just wow.
I'm under the impression Valve isn't hurting for money right now and the future of their company is not at stake at all whether this game succeeds or not, and there's interest in their hardware business to make a killer app for VR, so I think they're comfortable with doing that and helping focus and move VR forward with another bigger game from them in the field.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif