• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No longer a rumor, finally.

Looking forward to a good videogame. Those getting excited about "Mario 64 in VR!!!" stuff should to be a little more reserved.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is much more exciting to me than a flat Half-Life 3 would have been. Definitely will want to upgrade at least my GPU before this comes out though. With Boneworks coming out soon, and a VR Half-Life game coming out, it's a great time for VR.

Yeah this will be what pushes me to finally retire my 970 (well this and Cyberpunk :P). Though who knows maybe this will scale well, Valve is typically pretty good about optimizing but I have no clue what to expect here as far as the complexity of potential systems goes what with the physics and what have you. My processor might need the upgrade more anyhow lol.

Oct 26, 2017
So in the span of a few months we had/will have

A new Kojima game
A new Shenmue
Link's Awakening remaster
FF7 Remake
A new Half Life

What is this timeline I don't understand anymore

Also a new big screen Luigi's Mansion and a Tales of Mana remake, a new Age of Empires announced, a new MS Flight Simulator shown, a new single player Jedi game, a new Doom, ... can anyone add even more to the list?

This is the timeline where the real world goes to hell so video games can live on in glory.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Missed opportunity for thread title "Valve announces renewed development of Half Life 3 years after launch of HTC Vive"

Pazee

Banned
Nov 5, 2019
Kept the faith and held on selling my VIVE for the past few years.

Can't believe the techs been released for so long and only now we are getting something truly worth while out of the Valve VR team.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
People saying "this isn't Half-Life 3!" is giving me deja vu to all the people who, similarly, were complaining that Travis Strikes Again wasn't No More Heroes 3...

Real curious to see what will be shown on Thursday!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

vr that much of a turnoff for people?

VR experiences seem to be currently normalized as tech demos and "mini games." Resident Evil 7 was, and probably still is, the only major game to try and break that mold, and seems to have not done that. Perhaps its own limitations with VR didn't sell it as a game that must be played that way. Maybe the VR only being PlayStation VR damned it too.

Valve usually has the Secret Sauce with their Half-Life brand though. If anyone can change that, it's them. But it being VR probably has people thinking it's the tech demo/mini game side of a game, not, as the video I linked in my previous post argues, a 15 hour FPS campaign.

I would not be surprised, if it is well, the community does exactly what they did with the Source engine and start porting/remaking Valve's previous work. The level of change and improved fidelity made that rather commonplace.

Can't wait till 2047 for Black Mesa VR Edition now :p

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I don't wanna buy a new piece of hardware. Why can't you fuckers just be normal?

(It's gonna be cool. And I'm gonna be sad. Argh.)

Oct 27, 2017
Please have amazing music. Bring back Kelly Bailey for the love of God. It's not Half-Life without him. If not him I'd accept the Opposing Force composer, I forgot his name.

Tease the return of Gordon HARD.

Get this fucking series back on track PLEASE.
LETS GET THIS SHIT ROLLING

Based on his comments, Mike Morasky is doing the music, and I think he can do a good job.

with that said, there's always been this mystery with Kelly Bailey where he returned to work at Valve for a couple months and the only thing that came out of it was 8 minutes of CSGO music. I've always assumed he composed some HL stuff while there, and the CSGO music was basically the b-sides (go listen to it if you haven't - that shit is HL music).

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
VR is the biggest entry for most folks right now. That's asking a lot of money for one game. This reveal better be the best thing ever to get folks to jump aboard.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I guess I'll have to jury rig my PSVR headset to my PC to try and play this. It'll be suboptimal if it even works, but then again I played HL2 on a way underpowered PC at about 15 fps in 2004 and it was still special.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
EVERYONE PREPARE FOR UNFORSEEN CONSEQUENCES.
giphy.gif

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Would it be realistic to think that an Oculus Quest could be used to run this? Aren't they building in PC support or something?
Oculus Quest + link may be viable. Oculus Link doesn't seem like the end-all replacement for corded headsets though, impressions were mixed on it. Some reports of drops in quality and responsiveness.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to retrofit a psvr to work with Oculus/Steam VR?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People on this board don't play PC games so they evidently don't know

but holy shit the Half Life/Portal universe and lore is so amazing. i can't believe we're going back to it. The lore dumps in these games are the best part. Holy shit.

I hope we see some part of the Seven Hour war.
Every Half life and portal game are on console and have been for over a decade and a half.

Wtf lol

Nov 8, 2017
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

vr that much of a turnoff for people?

• VR game
  • Prequel starring Alyx, not a new mainline game
  • People who were born when Half Life 2: Episode 2 came out now developmentally advanced enough to be screaming at you over xbox live for killing them in cod

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking ready for this, they've been teasing it for MONTHS with their SteamDB updates. I need to upgrade from a Vive to an Index before this goes live. I am unbelievably hyped to see how they'll push VR, I'm so glad this isn't just a Half Life 3 that would never live up to the hype.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Well shit, just bought a new laptop and it's barely VR Ready. I wish I had waited.

Also I'm too broke to get a headset. Oh well.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I've tried Superhot, Gorn, and Obduction on the Rift (not for any super extensive amount of time though), all 3 of them gave me a headache and made me feel nauseous.
How much time have you put into those games? Because you can apparently "train" yourself to get used to VR over time.

Manhunter

Mar 20, 2019
User banned (1 day): Trolling. Account in junior phase.
Just VR game don't get hype. It will be trash.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking ready for this, they've been teasing it for MONTHS with their SteamDB updates. I need to upgrade from a Vive to an Index before this goes live. I am unbelievably hyped to see how they'll push VR, I'm so glad this isn't just a Half Life 3 that would never live up to the hype.
This game is for sure going to be using the index controllers!, I'm gonna play it with my quest, but if you can get an index it would be the ultimate way to play for sure

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Are the Xen chapters of Black Mesa gonna be done before this releases? I think a series replay is in order before this drops.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
So what's the latest or the best VR hardware to get at the moment? Really interested in this.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
we need an E3 2003 kind of demonstration for this, Valve

i wanna see it all