• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
oh boy if people are salty now just wait until the game is revealed and it looks fucking great

resetera is going to be a fun, miserable nightmare

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
rih28uddbb821.gif

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People on this board don't play PC games so they evidently don't know

but holy shit the Half Life/Portal universe and lore is so amazing. i can't believe we're going back to it. The lore dumps in these games are the best part. Holy shit.

I hope we see some part of the Seven Hour war.

it really is, just reading the wiki is a good time

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To give historical context to those on this board who are a bit younger, this seems to me to be a VERY major announcement. Let's just say that many of us are happy to still be alive to even see this announcement, given the ridiculous past that the Half Life franchise has. I know it goes without saying for a lot of gamers, but I feel like a lot of gamers also don't respect this moment because they have no idea how many of our lifetimes have passed with Valve Software and Half Life as a backdrop. In some ways this is earth shatteringly interesting, because Valve is a bizarre company, with a bizarre record on Half Life, with equally bizarre timing.

Basically, Thursday's presentation couldn't possibly be more interesting to me. As much as I am not a fan of modern Valve, even.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it really is, just reading the wiki is a good time

I wonder if we'll see more info on the Borealis and Aperture Science's ultimate tech. The one the combine covet despite their world-leaping abilities.

I wonder if the outline for Epistle 3 will still be considered going forward, if this will lay foundation down for it.

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
This is a historical moment. A new Half Life game being announced. The words "Valve", "Half Life" and "Unveil" being in the same sentence.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool to hear. Happy for those who've been waiting for anything HL related for all these years.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
VR is the only platform that could do a new Half Life game justice.

My only concern is that it's going to be a hand-holding 3 hour shooting gallery.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's hoping this IS Half-Life 3 in everything in name, mostly so we can have closure.

And it makes sense Alyx would be the main protagonist, as Gordon "My voiceless insert" Freeman is a relic of an older age. There's no point in bringing him back.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As if it's actually happening, after all this time.

Guess it's finally time to play Half Life 1 and 2 over Christmas for the first time to see what the fuss is all about.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This one also comes courtesy of Mr. Laidlaw, who shares what is apparently a twisted-up synopsis of Half-Life 3 on his blog. Eli Vance is confirmed dead, Dr. Mossman tracks down the Borealis, Gordon and Alyx travel to Antarctica to handle the situation, and of course the plan falls completely apart before it even begins. What's especially interesting about the story is that it's basically "gender-swapped fan fiction," as we called it: Male characters are female and vice-versa, names are changed up slightly, but remain close enough to the originals to be recognizable by fans.

Wow. This could be it.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see more info on the Borealis and Aperture Science's ultimate tech. The one the combine covet despite their world-leaping abilities.

I wonder if the outline for Epistle 3 will still be considered going forward, if this will lay foundation down for it.

Unless they plan on having more entries to Gordon's story outside of Episode 3/Half Life 3, I imagine it'd be all wrapped up.

Epistle 3 as an outline would make sense, just with all the story beats changed as I'm sure everyone would be majorly disappointed to have it spoiled years in advance :P

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing the first game in years from one of your strongest IP's on a Twitter post is.... Yeah, something that suits Valve as a glove.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely hope not.
It was really not that inspired and the MUH DESPAIR ending was pretty cliche.

That said you're 100% right, a long time ago I read like all the lore on the wiki and it was fascinating and really in depth.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they plan on having more entries to Gordon's story outside of Episode 3/Half Life 3, I imagine it'd be all wrapped up.

Epistle 3 as an outline would make sense, just with all the story beats changed as I'm sure everyone would be majorly disappointed to have it spoiled years in advance :P

This is supposed to be a prequel set before HL2.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be to VR, what Mario 64 was to 3D, what Doom was to FPS.
That's been my theory for years but as the years have passed, I've lost my hair, become older...people have died...like I must admit I have lost faith in the company, and the franchise. But I am very interested that you are this passionate.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is supposed to be a prequel set before HL2.

Right, but now I am seeing above that someone heard it's a sequel so I'm not sure what to believe lol

If it's indeed still a prequel, they can do literally anything with the story and I'll be super down. The amount of worldbuilding they created with 2 leaves sooooooooooooooo many entry points with a prequel. Maybe they'll revisit some of the cut story from HL2's dev, some of that stuff seemed really really neat albeit super dark.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Hopefully they are planning a rollout that would include a non VR release later on, for right now they clearly wanted to push VR though.

I hope so, I really do. I am a huge HL fan and have been playing since the release of the first game, would be sad to miss out on playing a new game just because I can't use VR.

I can understand why they have chosen VR for it, they have hardware developed that they want to sell and they also want to try and give more people a reason to use VR but personally hope they do a non VR version as well.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I believe it will be the case. It just makes too much sense. They are supposedly pouring AAA bucks into this project AND it being a full length game? No way this doesn't lead to Half-Life 3. I think they were waiting for VR tech to be a mature enough place. Half-Life: Alyx is the perfect kind of project for them to hone their development skills for that kind of project. Going into HL3, they will have everything they need to give us what we've waiting so many years for.

edit: I mean laying the foundation for HL3, not necessarily using that outline

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
So, like... hypothetically, if I wanted to play this... without having to build a PC.

What's my entry level cost?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely hope not.
It was really not that inspired and the MUH DESPAIR ending was pretty cliche.

That said you're 100% right, a long time ago I read like all the lore on the wiki and it was fascinating and really in depth.

I thought the twist involving Alyx in Epistle 3 was amazing, personally. And the hopelessness at the end when

The G-man discards Gordon like trash, leaving him to die, after they realize how hopeless the situation is

That said, the ending to Epistle 3 gave some glimmer of hope, especially that Gordon might move beyond being "special" just because the G-Man deems him so.

Oct 24, 2019
Here's hoping this IS Half-Life 3 in everything in name, mostly so we can have closure.

And it makes sense Alyx would be the main protagonist, as Gordon "My voiceless insert" Freeman is a relic of an older age. There's no point in bringing him back.

They should make him a supporting character and give him an actual voice/dialogue

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
NEW HALF-LIFE TITLE ANNOUNCED AHEAD OF SHENMUE 3 RELEASE

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Please have amazing music. Bring back Kelly Bailey for the love of God. It's not Half-Life without him. If not him I'd accept the Opposing Force composer, I forgot his name.

Tease the return of Gordon HARD.

Get this fucking series back on track PLEASE.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Honestly, I can't even get excited for this. It'll be interesting to see, but I have zero interest in a VR Half-Life title.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, I totally forgot about that. If it is a prequel that would make an incredible backdrop.

Seeing Dr. Breen do a heel turn and deliver humanity to the invasion

there is so much story available to explore in a HL2 prequel. Becoming closer to Alyx, seeing the world she knew end, would make the ending to Episode 2 way, way stronger.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017