• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any leaks that indicate how long the game could be? Or the the setting/timeline? I hope it's closer in gameplay to the original Half LIfe, at least as far as it being indoor and crawling through vents, solving puzzles, etc. There's nothing quite like that game and I always do a full play through of all the Half Life games at least once per year. So excited to see the Half-Life universe in VR, going to be nuts. I really really really hope this leads them into making Half-Life 3, L4D3, and Portal 3. I always felt they were holding of because they wanted VR tech to mature before going in. I hope that's the case and we start getting more news on these games.

With Nintendo on the rebound with Switch and its amazing games, Game Pass, AoEIV, Shenmue III, and now a new Half-Life game?? I feel like gaming is as its best point for me since the early 2000s. So excited for this!!!

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Not bought any VR shit yet, and I don't plan to for a while, but I can't wait to see what Valve has come up with.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
wow

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that Half Life is re-surfacing as a VR title, but Half Life is Half Life is Half Life

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, as you will no doubt be unsurprised to hear, a Certain Sinister Figure appeared, in the form of that sneering trickster, G-Man. For once he appeared not to me, but to Alyx Vance. Alyx had not seen the cryptical schoolmaster since childhood, but she recognized him, instantly. "Come along with me now, we've places to be and things to do," said G-Man, and Alyx acquiesced.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the leaker on reddit

I've been told that they indeed worked on both VR and NONVR (flat) versions of the game, but they havent finished the flat version as the project was shut down. I interpreted it wrong, he said the flat version is not in the final product. I apologise for the confusion.

Responding to the question of whether this game would be available for players without VR headsets, "I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said, it began as an exploration of VR," an unnamed person replies.

There it is.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, I can't believe it happened. I don't do VR (yet) but the prospect of seeing a new Half Life game in Source 2 is reason enough to get me really excited. This is so surreal.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed this would be exclusive to Valve's platform, right?
Yes and no, it's coming to Steam VR, which works with a multitude of VR headsets including Oculus Rift. So you'll have to buy it on Steam, but that doesn't limit the hardware it'll run on.

Valve isn't interested in hardware-locking VR games.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no, it's coming to Steam VR, which works with a multitude of VR headsets including Oculus Rift. So you'll have to buy it on Steam, but that doesn't limit the hardware it'll run on.

Valve isn't interested in hardware-locking VR games.
Nope, SteamVR which works with most headsets.
Interesting.

So... For someone in Australia the Vive would be the best way to go?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I'll do anything to get closure for the end of EP2. VR or not I don't give a shit anymore. Strap that fucking headset to me and let me rest.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I have my doubts. VR title and not committing to the HL3 name.....call me sceptical.

Its gonna be a 2 hour walk through the HL universe at best.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

That'd go against much of what they've been trying to do with VR for the last several years, so - it'd be surprising if it was.

A reminder:

Grab SteamVR to access and play VR games using your HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headset, or any other supported VR headset and controllers.

It may be limited by functionality of the hardware (particularly controllers), but it's unlikely to be exclusive to Valve VR hardware.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If you mean Steam? Good bet it won't be showing up anywhere else.

But the actual VR hardware support will be everything. I'd personally recommend people just buy the Oculus Quest and play that way, but to each their own.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like. I have a feeling that they will pick the project back up after they've sold through a bunch of VR headsets.

As much as people are here hoping for mods to allow non-vr. I doubt it. This game has had two different versions in development apparently.

To be fair non-VR mods will happen whether they allow it or not.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
wow

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed that Half Life is re-surfacing as a VR title, but Half Life is Half Life is Half Life

There were rumblings a long time ago from Valve that Portal 2 was their last normal AAA game, and that if they did another, they'd want it to push new boundaries, and they kinda hinted at VR.

So I've been expecting this.....

But yeah I'm still disappointed.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe it. There was all the smoke in the world that this was really going to be a thing, but I still really didn't believe it.

I feel like that dude that the camera pans to from Sony's E3 2015 after Shenmue 3 got announced who stands up in the audience.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I need a $1000 Steam VR kit to play this? Hope I'm wrong about that.

you can buy any brand of VR headsets for PC, and some of them are in $200-$400 price range now. Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality. Hopefully Oculus Quest with the Oculus Link works too

Last edited: