• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Its been a rough 12 years...all the uneventful/disappointing anniversaries, "ARGs", rumors, stupid memes, etc... But FINALLY.....its gonna actually happen. Posting in a legendary thread right now.... can't believe this is real!!!!!

Tyler McVicker...our hero we dont deserve. Subscribe to ValveNewsNetwork now!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Jesus fucking Christ in heaven above, the madmen actually did it.

A new Half-Life game. VR. 2020. I need to...sit down for a minute...
giphy.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'd be excited for this if I could both afford and have the room for a proper SteamVR setup. The VR aspect isn't a downside for me, it's just the prohibitively expensive and awkward barriers to entry.

Feb 10, 2018
Valve have pulled off this incredible marketing strategy of not marketing future half life projects at all, letting a fan base generate an enormous amount of communication about the franchise itself to a degree that there are thousands of comments online that exist that say "I hope i live to see the day HL3 is announced."

Like, we are at a point where I don't think many people who are obsessed with playing the next installment will even think about giving a fuck about reviews. They want to play the latest game and god dammit they will spend the money to do so.

Hype is good, but if the game is lacklustre it's not going set the world on fire.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OMG.

I'm really curious to see what modern tech Valve is like if they make it really immersive.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of HL in general so it's not like this will make me run out and grab a VR headset, but I don't know what all the non-VR peeps are worried about. If this is worth playing, a non-VR mod will happen sooner than later or Valve will release an official version after the initial sales dry up.
To me, that's akin to ensuring skeptics of 3D videogames that a 2D version will surely come along eventually.
VR and VR controls can facilitate stuff that isn't easily replicable on traditional platforms. If this game pushes VR game design in any meaningful way, then it may not be possible to translate the experience wholesale over to a keyboard and mouse, computer monitor setup.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I know it's probably (almost certainly) first-person, but hopefully Merle Dandridge voices the character again.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D-does asking for Oculus compatibility counts as port begging?

Both are PC periferals D:
It's coming to Steam VR. Oculus Rift and Rift S both support Steam VR. Rift owners should relax - they'll be playing this game with all the Vive and Index owners.

In fact, since Oculus have the best price:performance with the Rift S, I bet they're licking their lips over all the headsets they're gonna sell from people who want this game.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely not hyped for a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's VR technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.

It's not Half Life 3, Valve still isn't going to admit that that is never happening. This feels more like using the Half Life brand to sell copies of their VR tech more than a game developer coming out of a decade long hiatus to reveal the next masterpiece entry of a legendary game series.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Responding to DarthBuzzard here as the rumors thread has been closed in favor of this one.

You do realize that there are many disabled people using VR right now, even at a pro E-Sports competitor level I've seen a few disabled users. VR is actually a boon for the disabled in many cases, because it lets them do things that real life can't allow them to.

Most likely, this game will be built to allow for seated play with as much attention put into such comfort options as possible.

Seriously it's amazing how toxic people can get when it comes to accessibility in gaming. I literally saw someone today say "Fuck VR" because they had only had one eye which means nothing as they can still use VR, and if it's not entirely gone they might even regain vision due to VR. But never-mind that. "I'm disabled so I get to bash anything I want at face value and no one else should be allowed to have fun." is what some of these people genuinely think.

How shameless that someone feels they can lecture me on what disabled people should and should feel aggrieved by. And to dismiss concerns expressed in a clear, precise manner by calling them "toxic" is shameful beyond belief. I was not criticizing or attacking all VR. And then to lump me in with someone saying "fuck VR" as all disabled people have the same views is beyond shameful. I'll keep campaigning and agitating for games to be accessible to as many people as possible, no matter how much people try to shut me up and attack me for doing it.

Heid
VR being a fuck you to disabled gamers is a new take, I'll give you that.

In the Netherlands they gave kids in hospital beds HMDs so they don't feel like stuck inside all day. Heres two vids of it being used to let people confined to wheelchairs or housebound to experience the feeling of the outside world again.

Again, more ridiculous ablesplaining of a point I already clearly acknowledged if you had just read my posts. I never said all VR experiences are a fuck you to disabled people. I'm disabled. I don't need lecturing on the benefits of VR for some disabled people. I know them perfectly well. I was expressing my concerns about room scale VR experiences without the proper work being taken to make them accessible. all I said in my post, if you read it, was that if this is both room scale and PCVR only, it is a step towards making games more for able-bodied people and that's a shame. I will be the first to applaud Valve if they have the proper accessibility options a game like this should have and obviously then my concern will then be unfounded. Stop the dogpiling crap and actually read what I said.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still surprised this is actually happening despite knowing it for months, maybe even years at this point

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you had told me back then that my reaction to the next half life project would be a "meh" i would have laughed at you. i feel zero excitement for this. here is hoping i get blown away when it is shown

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Half Life is one of those rare franchises you build an entire brand new rig to experience it at its best. As long as it the reveal shows they still have the goods in making Half Life games, I'll be ordering a Valve Index and a new GPU to go along with it. The king has truly returned.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely not hyped for a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's VR technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.
I am absolutely not hyped for Half-Life 2, a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's proprietary engine technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.

Like, hold the phone. The context surrounding the releases of Half-Life 1 and 2 aren't much different than what you're describing. Half-Life always leveraged groundbreaking technology to enable new designs, that's how the series made its mark to begin with.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hope its VR only and actually Half Life 3. I love the venom and bitterness its already bringing out. The only thing worse would have been mobile only.

Oct 27, 2017

It's not Half Life 3, Valve still isn't going to admit that that is never happening. This feels more like using the Half Life brand to sell copies of their VR tech more than a game developer coming out of a decade long hiatus to reveal the next masterpiece entry of a legendary game series.
How do you know this.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what this actually ends up being.

Not a VR fan at all, so depending on how limited the access is could be a 'meh' from me.

(also the fact that most everyone who made HL2 and the episodes are long-gone at this point, but.....we'll see, I guess)