• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
You just know one of the other games they're working on is Portal VR. It's bound to happen.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
A caveat to my previous post...

I feel for a new VR title to be truly revolutionary it has to solve the movement problem. Which I don't see how this could, short of shipping with a treadmill.

However, VR controllers were practically made for the gravity and portal guns, so I'm sure there will be some cool puzzle applications there.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm unreasonably excited considering i don't have a vr device, haven't enjoyed anything first person I've played in VR really, and never thought the story of hl was that great really

but man

half life

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Valve obviously know the VR audience is a niche audience. They are not making this game for the big bucks, they are making it because the truly want to push VR tech forward. They are one of the only videogame companies that are in the position where they can eat a loss on a project like this.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Valve obviously know the VR audience is a niche audience. They are not making this game for the big bucks, they are making it because the truly want to push VR tech forward. They are one of the only videogame companies that are in the position where they can eat a loss on a project like this.

I have a feeling that this game will sell a lot of Indexes.

You guys are breaking my heart.

PSVR's tracking/input is too limited. And most likely the PS4 is not powerful enough to drive this (assumption) heavily physics driven VR game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of HL in general so it's not like this will make me run out and grab a VR headset, but I don't know what all the non-VR peeps are worried about. If this is worth playing, a non-VR mod will happen sooner than later or Valve will release an official version after the initial sales dry up.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. Game design and world interaction is completely different in VR versus traditional modes of play, and if this 'flagship VR game' takes advantage of VR and VR controls to any real degree, that experience isn't likely to be replicated via traditional controls on a traditional screen.

Probably this, although I feel Resident Evil 7 handled this pretty well. There were definitely a few bits in RE7 that basically did the 3D movie thing where something gets thrown at the screen just to demonstrate the tech, like there's a few scenes where someone screams in your face or holds a knife to your face etc that were clearly more designed for VR.

And yeah, I expect the HL game to go pretty hard on VR specific stuff similar to how a bunch of stuff in HL2 felt like them experimenting /showcasing the tech.

To be fair there's 100% going to be a non-VR version, even if only through mods.