• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
that's what you call an artistic revolution- small crappy indie titles and demos??
Yes, have you played VR? Right now all sorts of new stuff is being tried out. It somewhat sucks because many games are based around 1 new gameplay mechanic, but it is a lot of time something new and something you can't do in regular games. Like Fisherman's tale for example

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't have a crazy upgradable pistol that has laser sights and can shoot grenades and whatever. And the gloves seem way better than the gravity gun.
There is a lot that can happen with her gun in the time between HLA and HL2. Also her pistol doesnt shoot grenades in HLA, that is done with her shotgun.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Looks real good, not a fan of her voice acting yet though. She seems way too casual... I hope there is a good reason why they didnt use the previous Alyx.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Looks real good, not a fan of her voice acting yet though. She seems way too casual... I hope there is a good reason why they didnt use the previous Alyx.

I like it. Valve's public reasoning is that they wanted a younger voice for the younger character. To me it works and her performance is great. But I have no context for what the original actress would have attempted for this character in this game, so I can't criticise

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I checked out the VR environments, and damn even know that it's a slightly different render I was still blown away, especially since I did a playthrough of the series last week....shit it can only be a showcase of environments in the HL universe and I would be satisfied, having a story and game behind is just the cherry on the top :D

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I checked out the VR environments, and damn even know that it's a slightly different render I was still blown away, especially since I did a playthrough of the series last week....shit it can only be a showcase of environments in the HL universe and I would be satisfied, having a story and game behind is just the cherry on the top :D

Sounds like it's worth getting my VR setup, uh, setup a bit early to check this out. Packed it all up last month with the intent to bring it out before 3/23, but maybe this weekend is a good time to do so.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Sounds like it's worth getting my VR setup, uh, setup a bit early to check this out. Packed it all up last month with the intent to bring it out before 3/23, but maybe this weekend is a good time to do so.
Any specific reason for waiting, there's lots of great stuff to try out before committing to HL:A, a lot of free vr experiences :D

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Any specific reason for waiting, there's lots of great stuff to try out before committing to HL:A, a lot of free vr experiences :D

Nothing specific- my basement looks crazy when I've got the Lighthouses hooked up (they're on tripods) so I figured pack it all up until it's go time for Alyx. We're close enough now, so might as well!

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Nothing specific- my basement looks crazy when I've got the Lighthouses hooked up (they're on tripods) so I figured pack it all up until it's go time for Alyx. We're close enough now, so might as well!
I bought these for my lighthouses and let me tell you, you're gonna save a lot of space:

Basically wherever I move, I just set these up in a corner and forget about my lighthouses lol
But either way, you should set up early so that everything can be updated and ready, also enough time to check if everything is working correctly :D Welcome to the new world.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Can't believe it, but I just picked up an oculus rift S for this game.

Anybody have any good VR suggestions to hold me over till launch?

Dec 23, 2017

Welcome to the world of VR, I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

As for recommendations, there is Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, Stormlands, The Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, Blade & Sorcery, Hellsplit Arena, VR Dungeon Knight, Until You Fall, Pavlov, Sairento VR, VRChat.

Those are just a few recommendations off the top of my head.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

I'll add Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (H3VR) to the list of recommendations, almost for its Take & Hold mode alone. Best gun sim and gun handling out there, and soooo many of them to toy around with. Been my nightly ritual for a minute now.

Time needs to hurry up and get movin on the 23rd already, this final stretch is gonna be brutal.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Standard must-have trifecta is Beat Saber, Superhot VR and Space Pirate Trainer. Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath are the most stand out big budget VR games and they are both very excellent.

Another notable one is the recent Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, there is a bit of jank to it but for a survival-ish zombie game it's pretty great. Melee combat is extremely satisfying, probably the most so in any VR game.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the recommendations! Ya'll are dope.

Just to set expectations - a lot of folks recommended Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, but I found it a bit overwhelming as one of my early games to play, purely because it is such an open sandbox with minimal guidance. Just go into it with the right expectations of needing to dig into it a little.

The other recommendations have all been great. Boneworks is one to potentially do a bit later, as the mechanics are bit advanced. Gorn is good fun too. Also, as much as it isn't rated highly, Doom VFR is still fun to mess with. It also has one early moment that feels fun in VR

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
Does fps work and particularly this game with one base station?
I'm kinda fed up waiting for stock and was thinking of getting one more expensive from vive website first.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Just to set expectations - a lot of folks recommended Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, but I found it a bit overwhelming as one of my early games to play, purely because it is such an open sandbox with minimal guidance. Just go into it with the right expectations of needing to dig into it a little.

The other recommendations have all been great. Boneworks is one to potentially do a bit later, as the mechanics are bit advanced. Gorn is good fun too. Also, as much as it isn't rated highly, Doom VFR is still fun to mess with. It also has one early moment that feels fun in VR
I will second this on H3VR, BUT once it does click, its amaze balls haha. It was one of the first games I bought and it wasn't until months later that I got into it.

As for stuff to recommend, I would get a couple stand still games with no locomotion (BeatSaber, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate, etc) to play at first as a warmup getting used to VR and also pick up some locomotion games (Walking Dead S&S, No mans sky, H3VR,Skyrim VR(you will need to mod it), etc) to jump in and out of. Of the highly recommended stuff I would not jump into Boneworks until you are reallllly comfortable.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017

I agree on H3, it's just too much simulation for me and overwhelming with it's options. I much prefer something like Pavlov if you want to play around with guns in VR.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I agree on H3, it's just too much simulation for me and overwhelming with it's options. I much prefer something like Pavlov if you want to play around with guns in VR.
Yeah I refunded that one. It was cool but I'm not about to spend hours diving deep learning the inner workings of a sandbox like that just to fool around with weapons, I'd rather spend my time in other proper VR games that are fun to me right off the bat. I'm cool with the simpler weapon simulation/physics from Pavlov or Boneworks.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I just got a chance to walk through the Steam City 17 VR Room, and wow.

God damn Half-Life: Alyx is going to be a glorious game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a spot to do room scale but I'm not worried about that detracting from anything. I have a psvr in a room where the lights can be dimmed and 2 key spots for the camera. One for sitting one for standing.

The standing position is a bit far and high. It really stretches the bounding box of what it can capture and keep steady tracking. With that position, I can reach (even down pretty far. About to the knee), duck, lean, and take a step in every direction. I move the coffee table out of the way (put sliders on it) and throw a couple of pillows down to make a little pen. It's about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I can use my whole body and reach in every direction a decent amount with that little space on a psvr.

Something with better/360 tracking would work miles better. You could reach as far as you can in every direction, turn around, or even touch the ground. All inside the standing room right in front of the couch. Nothing I've seen in alyx strikes me as anything you would need room scale for.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I've been thinking this whole time, me joking about "now I only have to stay alive until the game releases and I play through it" when this first got announced, really, REALLY didn't age well, lol.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I don't have a spot to do room scale but I'm not worried about that detracting from anything. I have a psvr in a room where the lights can be dimmed and 2 key spots for the camera. One for sitting one for standing.

The standing position is a bit far and high. It really stretches the bounding box of what it can capture and keep steady tracking. With that position, I can reach (even down pretty far. About to the knee), duck, lean, and take a step in every direction. I move the coffee table out of the way (put sliders on it) and throw a couple of pillows down to make a little pen. It's about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I can use my whole body and reach in every direction a decent amount with that little space on a psvr.

Something with better/360 tracking would work miles better. You could reach as far as you can in every direction, turn around, or even touch the ground. All inside the standing room right in front of the couch. Nothing I've seen in alyx strikes me as anything you would need room scale for.

That's about the space I have with oculus front sensors only, as long as the games have ways to keep everything in front of you it works fine. You do always have to recenter forward though. I'm sure it will be fine in this game.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Until You Fall and Pistol Whip are both excellent. Until You Fall will give you a workout and a half though lol.
Damn man, I'm so glad I pulled the trigger on VR -- this shit is incredible!

Everybody basically said Pistol Whip and Beat Saber, which are both awesome so far. Pistol Whip is really really really fun.

Downloading Until You Fall right now, it looks rad.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Only a week before this releases and the only two headsets I want to play this on are inaccessible Index(Not selling in Australia) and HP Reverb 6 weeks til stock.

I just have to wait and avoid spoilers which given this is a new half life game will be near impossible.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
On HL:A Linux:

"The game will be playable on Proton with DX11 at launch. Post-launch, we'll be aiming to provide Vulkan and Linux support through subsequent updates."

I'd be surprised if the Windows version is not Vulkan off the bat