• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect this game will be much, much jankier in actuality.

Likely, since they're making it nice looking to showcase it's features and it's probably played by someone that has a lot of experience with the game and VR in general.

It's kinda like if you watch the Boneworks videos from Node and see how smooth they are compared to someone just getting started in the game.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to wait for this. Don't know how long I'll make it.

What's with people watching the teleport demo and turning off the video though?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Watch those videos and then let me remind you of a recent quote:

"We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody's asking for VR." - Phil Spencer

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly. I just imagine doing some of the things in the video would feel awkward in VR.
The good thing about animation on VR is that in the end becomes a muscle habit, so as long as the motion is easy and doesn't force strange positions, you will end up doing them instinctively. For instance while playing H3 there are many type of guns each with different reload mechanisms but once I got used (after 2/3 reloads) , it felt natural.
Other things such as peaking through corners/doors are just so natural that you dont really notice. In the end it is all based on natural interfaces, aka things you have done in your real life such as pulling levers, opening doors, etc.

My Vive won't do this game justice.. Wish I could get the Index for the finger tracking and 120Hz screen.
Finger tracking is not Index but Knuckles (so can be used with the Vive (as they do require the lighthouses).

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still unbelievably hype for this game. It looks so damn good. Will be playing it in continuous mode. Hopefully the SteamVR environments releasing tomorrow will be cool and give a good glimpse into what the game will look like. I'm also hoping for some SteamVR Alyx hand skins.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What is with intense need from some to downplay shit out of this?

I don't own VR set, I have no interest in getting VR set, but this is by far most impressive looking VR game I have seen this far. From graphics to gameplay.

Watch those videos and then let me remind you of a recent quote:

"We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody's asking for VR." - Phil Spencer

How those videos change that? VR gamers is very niche segment of gamers. Someone like Spencer most likely has data to back up decision not to do VR set for next-gen.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
You don't need to drop 2 grand unless you want to have the absolute high end components for this.
Yeah, I know. My point is that Im considering spending 2k to get just that. I have a vive 1 and a 1080 but it's bad enough that I dont want to ruin my initial experience with the game.
Might sound elitist but vive 1 is pretty bad, man. Screendoor, clunky, low res.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Yeah, I know. My point is that Im considering spending 2k to get just that. I have a vive 1 and a 1080 but it's bad enough that I dont want to ruin my initial experience with the game.
Might sound elitist but vive 1 is pretty bad, man. Screendoor, clunky, low res.
I would imagine it will look quite nice in the Vive due to the OLED screen but I have not mines hooked up since I got the Index, but I don't like the black levels on the Index and the glare. It's still a great headset though.

Also I think this game will be well optimized and should run decent on a 1080.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed that games like ALYX usher in a revolution in PC controllers for normal gameplay as well.
Mouse and Keyboard seem so oldschool and more made for ultra fast movement twitch shooters, not so much for these types of small room puzzle/interaction experiences.
Couple VR style hand controllers with a normal ultrawide curved display and some IR head tracking and you might have a new recipe going that is like VR-Lite, but less nauseous and less shut off from the world.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I would imagine it will look quite nice in the Vive due to the OLED screen but I have not mines hooked up since I got the Index, but I don't like the black levels on the Index and the glare. It's still a great headset though.

Also I think this game will be well optimized and should run decent on a 1080.
I've tried the index. The resolution is the biggest step up. Second is the hand controls. Vive is just a bit too dark and blurry for me.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Oh man I hope they put a baseball bat in the game. Just imagine you seeing a headcrab in the distance so you automatically go into baseball stance waiting for that fucker to leap at you. HOMERUN!
I guess the crowbar would do just as well

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Probably because it would be very uncomfortable. Like smooth locomotion by itself is a hurdle for some people to already try to get over but adding teleportation simultaneous on it? That could very disorienting and valve seems to be going for comfort option with this game.
Seems bizarre to omit the option for those who would enjoy it, though. It's all there already, why not allow people to choose? Options are never a bad thing.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Not particularly. I just imagine doing some of the things in the video would feel awkward in VR.

I have played plenty of VR games, nothing in the Valve videos looks like it would be awkward or hard to pull off. They are just playing a level they know very well and doing some playful acting. Which is something a lot of VR users do as being able to express yourself through your head and hand movements allows you to be a little creative. I mean, outside of just throwing enemies the bird.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Chairmanchuck PLEASE add before the videos in the OP, that each one shows off one of three different methods of movement. It's beyond dumb now.

Maybe add this image as well:

d0R4Tdm.png

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just watched the videos and I thought they were super impressive. I have a quest and hope to get a gaming PC that could run this nicely via the link cable

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Shifting might be the option I go with. That's like how The Lab works now right? It used to do fade teleporting but now, seems to shift you from one point to your targeted location. Probably came from the update that added physics?

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
Impressive videos, I too would be put off with the teleport movement so I would definitely use the continuous method. I still worry about getting dizzy using a head set as I have never used one before.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wheres the arms at tho

Point of contention in VR.

Arms looks all well and good on a flat screen, but can ruin the experience in VR. Keep in mind you have only 3 tracked areas - Head from the HMD, both hands from the controllers. Inverse kinematics can be used to guess arm / body position based on those 3 tracked points and additional info like your height - but it is wrong most of the time, especially if your body shape doesn't conform to how they programmed it. When it works, its awesome, then it doesn't and you are taken out of the experience by knocking things over you don;t expect to / moving incorrectly etc. Breaking immersion and the sensation of being present in VR is practically game breaking imo

I definitely massively prefer hands and head representation only in VR first person games, since those are the only things properly tracked anyway, and you don't get immersion breaking jank

Last edited: