• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*Headcrabs jumping on you in VR*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies!
I'm not denying it's playable, I know it is, but it's also far from being the best experience.
The guy in the video literally says he'd think about buying a set of knuckles. (And I don't even have the audio strap.)

Yeah, this is what I might do at some point.
FWIW, I don't think the Index controllers are anything special. Having to use the straps really makes them cumbersome for me and I don't find the finger tracking to be all that great either. I would actually like the Rift S controllers better if it weren't but the lack of built in battery and the bad menu button placement.

Game play looks next level for sure, but those combine soldiers are looking a little chunky.

Also, I hope we get more than just the Alyx gun+ mods. That would be very lame.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can punch Headcrabs in midair when they jump at you.

Those poison fucks better not be in the game.

*rattling noise*

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the stuff with monsters and aliens looks pretty drab and dull.

Fighting the Combine dudes was cool though. Did she inject herself with a syringe she found in a public toilet?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Going to enjoy playing this until I see a fast headcrab zombie bolting towards me. That's not something I think I can handle in VR.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible. Feels like it's gonna be one of those seminal games just off the tech.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
how does this work? you need a big room?
Player is pressing up on the Left Thumbstick to move. Newer games have been including that locomotion solution with varying success. The Walking Dead, Boneworks, and Pavlov have this kind of movement, and they work fairly well. It tends to work better for people who are experienced in VR, though.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm happy that they have a weapon upgrade system in this one. Times have changed and the game would feel a bit shallower if it was missing. And the upgrades seem really fun from the pistol crosshair HUD to the shotgun auto loader.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
how does this work? you need a big room?

Teleport / Shift / Continuous Movement (stick) + physical movement to suit how much room you have

7DSWDu7.jpg

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Chances this comes to Oculus Quest one day even if heavily downgraded?

In addition to the technical considerations already mentioned, I'd say the biggest roadblock is that native Quest programs can be installed only via the Oculus Store or a rather convoluted sideloading process that would be impossible to automate via Steam (or indeed at all).

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the guy on the radio the actor that played the band's manager in Flight of the Conchords? It sounds almost exactly like him.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of voice actors, have they cast someone to play Eli? Or is he not in this game at all?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Is the guy on the radio the actor that played the band's manager in Flight of the Conchords? It sounds almost exactly like him.

Yep:

Also the original Gman voice actor is in. (Perhaps Barney also since he voiced him as well), Ellen McLain with her Overwatch announcements, and Vorts voice actor legend Tony Todd also confirmed

I suspect there are others, but would guess its all spoiler territory, so not gonna look into it till I'm done with the game

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Only nitpicky thing that's bothering me is the in game chatter. Alyx speaking just seems and being complimented on kills just seems...so strange for a half life title, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
In that IGN video you get to hear a lot more banter, I love how Firewatch the dialogue between Alyx and Russel feels. He appears to see what you're seeing and isn't just on a radio either.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I really getting a VR headset for one game? Am I doing this to myself again? The PS4 wasn't enough?

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Between these gameplay videos and videos of Boneworks, I'm convinced now.

Don't ever fuggin show me arms in VR.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't think it would have that teleport walking thing. Seems like a shooting gallery game with the stationary gameplay.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, the barnacles grab the helmet on your head! I kept wondering why you would do that.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between these gameplay videos and videos of Boneworks, I'm convinced now.

Don't ever fuggin show me arms in VR.
As someone who has Boneworks, keep that janky ass shit far away as possible from my Half-Life games.

The IGN video looks incredible, my god the environments look so great. I can't wait to immersive my self into City 17 all over again.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is portal 3 going to be a pack in game? man i really don't know if i can invest 1k in to index.... if this is all i can play.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I didn't think it would have that teleport walking thing. Seems like a shooting gallery game with the stationary gameplay.

Same. Inverse kinematics as guess work for arms legs from just 3 tracked points of reference, is only good if it somehow magically works all the time for you.

Boneworks is this awesome thing when you're into it without issues - then eg your real arms are not matching your virtual arms, and you've knocked something over or done something you didn't intend etc... it's such a huge drop taking you right out of the experience. Though this is only one aspect of jank in that game.

Still a great game, but absolutely by far I prefer just hands / head represented in VR games.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Teleport looks strange to people who have never used VR, but it's just as freeform as regular thumbstick movement. In VR the minor interactions make up a chunk of the gameplay, i.e reloading guns, looking through boxes, grabbing enemies. It's not like regular games where those interactions are literally a button press. Player movement is a much different experiencein VR