• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
These trailers have convinced me investing in VR mainly for this was still a good idea.

Music in that 3rd video was so remiscent of the old days, the combat scenario looked incredible too. It's almost weird to see what basically looks like modern HL2 but with all these new features like gun upgrades and new enemy types.

Think I'll start with locomotion but it has made me feel a bit ill in other games so I can imagine I might move to the shift style.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Why do you say that unless you just mean the controllers? I owned both and prefer the Vive by a wide margin (Index LCD display just... honestly, sucks). Ended up just keeping Vive + Knuckles.
Why? Cause of the Wands? I do agree the Index controllers are miles ahead, I bought a pair last year and they were night and day compared to the wands.
Precisely. If I'm gonna play a new Half-Life game I'd rather play it with a controller that doesn't get in the way. Especially when there's this much interactivity.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is walking rather than teleporting that jarring?

Cause teleporting looks annoying. But I never really dived deep into VR, so I dont know.

I know you can walk, just wondering if teleporting is the ideal way to play?

The ideal way would be playing in an empty warehouse and physically running around the environments.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Half-Life-Alyx-Locomotion.jpg

Love this. Continuous for me.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Looks amazing. I want it!

What's the cheapest way to get the best quality VR for someone without a PC?

Well, it won't be cheap. If you look at the minimum requirements on the Steam page that should get you started. You could probably build a PC for maybe ~$600 (guesstimate), then get a Rift S or Oculus Quest for $400 (if you can find one in stock). You can go cheaper on the VR headset, but you'll start sacrificing pretty important things like quality hand tracking. So you're pretty much looking at a grand for a solid total experience...even then, it will probably take a pretty big hit graphically. If someone was truly interested in buying in for this game from scratch with max cost effectiveness (most bang for your buck), I'd personally recommend building a ~$1000 rig and getting a Rift S. Just know that your PC probably wont be next gen ready.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
If those videos aren't bullshit, then this is some of the most revolutionary gameplay I've seen in my life. Goodness gracious, it looks A.MA.ZING!

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
If the Rift S could come back in stock before launch that'd be greattttt :)

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it won't be cheap. If you look at the minimum requirements on the Steam page that should get you started. You could probably build a PC for maybe ~$600 bucks (guesstimate), then get a Rift S or Oculus Quest for $400 (if you can find one in stock). You can go cheaper on the VR headset, but you'll start sacrificing pretty important things like quality hand tracking. So you're pretty much looking at a grand for a solid total experience...even then, it will probably take a pretty big hit graphically. If someone was truly interested in buying in for this game from scratch with max cost effectiveness, I'd personally recommend building a ~$1000 rig and getting a Rift S. Just know that your PC probably wont be next gen ready.

Oof. Yeah, about what I expected. Thanks for the thoughts!

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Why does she move like in a graphical adventure of the 90s? As someone without knowledge of VR, that loohs like a total immersion killer.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This looks fantastic. After my initial excitement, I've been playing less VR games lately but HL Alyx looks like the next step in immersion and VR game design and I'll be there day one.

edit: lol, good title change. Would have been a real missed opportunity otherwise.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Everything looked pretty cool but the overzealous bobbing and weaving of the player was annoying to watch. lol

That's how VR footage when someone is playing looks when rendered on a flat screen, if anything they probably had to smooth the footage here to make it look more palatable. It looks perfectly fine when you're playing of course

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Watch all the videos. They each show a different movement option.

As has been pointed out 37 times already lol

Yep. I'm thinking the first video should have started with smooth locomotion...or maybe Valve had the extremely unrealistic expectation that people would get through all ~10 minutes of gameplay before complaining about it on forums lol!

The reason for teleportation is that a good portion of people get motion sickness from smooth locomotion in VR. It seems pretty slow paced though so I think smooth will be the way to go for the vast majority.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I'm thinking the first video should have started with smooth locomotion...or maybe Valve had the extremely unrealistic expectation that people would get through all ~10 minutes of gameplay before complaining about it on forums lol!
Teleportation is probably the default, and what I imagine most people (especially those new to VR will play, at least initially), so starting with it seems fair.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Looks phenomenal. Like actually the first revolutionary thing I've seen in a while. Too bad I'll probably never get to play it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Those are some really smooth videos. Probably edited to look good when viewed on a normal screen since I believe VR videos tend to be twitchy and have a lot of nuanced movement.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
So, decided to watch them. Wow!

The IGN video was probably the most impressive to me as it is just a chunk of real gameplay (the other videos looked a bit tweaked in comparison with some dialogue changes, careful head movement & steps cut out - for example there no light puzzle on the fabricator in the Valve gameplay clip.) .

The art style and gameplay in all the videos is just great, really can't wait for this. Currently still playing through Walking Dead Saints & Sinners which does a lot of stuff incredibly well but this admittedly does look like another step up with much higher production values.

Chances this comes to Oculus Quest one day even if heavily downgraded?

Anything is possible, but I think it would be really slim chance. I believe that Oculus link is going to be the only way to play on Quest.

Teleportation is probably the default, and what I imagine most people (especially those new to VR will play, at least initially), so starting with it seems fair.

Agreed, I don't think people who haven't tried VR realise how disconcerting it is to be moving like a normal game / using a joystick. I have fully acclimatised to it now but it took a few weeks of playing games with such movement.

Default teleportation with options in the menu is 100% the way to go for a game like this that people new to VR could be playing.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I never get sick while walking in VR cause my god I hate the teleporting option.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why they use that dumb Myst-style movement in the trailers if it can be toggled to be smooth normal movement in the options. It makes the game look like a collection of chained stale scenes.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I legit have no idea how anyone can look at these videos and say the graphics look mediocre. Like holy shit. This thing inside the headset is going to look and feel insane.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Anyone able to speculate on the difference between "Continuous" and "Continuous Hand" locomotion? As seen in the movement settings in the IGN video.