• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Modder 'Rob' has released a brand new version of his Mobility Mod for Half-Life 2. This mod basically enhances overall mobility in Half-Life 2 by adding – among other things – the wall running mechanics players experienced in the Titanfall games.

Mobility Mod Version 2 is based on the Episode 2 Engine and combines Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2 into one mod (just keep scrolling on the chapter menu to get to the episodes). Moreover, this new version comes with new melee controls, a very basic tutorial for the new melee, new HUD features and some movement enhancements.

In short, and while the control mechanics are different from the vanilla ones, this mod will allow you to re-experience Valve's classic shooter in a completely different way.

More in the article here.
The mod can be found here.

This mod adds among other things:
  • Wall-running
  • Double-jumping
  • Power-sliding
  • Ledge-climbing
  • Grenade button, ability to cook grenades
  • Unlocked Field-of-View (In HL2 the max was 90)
  • Tutorial and mini-campaign
  • Reduced bullet spread of automatic weapons while crouching and not sliding
  • Louder, bass-heavy bullet impacts on hits (possibly too much so)
  • Cheat modes - exploding bullets, extra enemies, floor lava (just damage over time when you're on the ground), Mario mode, tough citizens
  • A whole lot of console variables to customise just about every aspect of the mod. Want to slide longer? Wallrun faster (or slower)? Jump higher? It's all configurable. Look in ep2_mobility/cfg/mobility.cfg.

You need to own Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2 and you need to have all of them installed as well as the beta branch of the Source SDK Base 2013. (You can grab this easily under the tools tab on Steam like so)

I've been playing around with it for about an hour now and it's feels really close to the movement mechanics found in Titanfall 2 (which i guess makes sense seeing as Titanfall 2 runs on a modified source engine).

There's a tutorial where you get to try out all the added mechanics in a couple of courses (including a TiFa 2 inspired timed speed test) and you can still play through the entire game with the added mechanics.

I3FXzqD.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tart Toter 9K

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Shame he put that can in the trash though....
You don't know how many takes that took 😅

The game obviously wasan't made with this type of movement in mind so a lot of the platforming and puzzle sections are easily skippable.
I don't know how to feel about the changes to combat yet. Having a dedicated grenade and melee button is great but it also feels unbalanced.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This actually looks like it could be a lot of fun. Thanks for posting it :D

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This looks great. I wonder how a CS match would play with mechanics like these, that would be a great private server.