• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The latest in IGN's "Devs React to Speedrun" series. This time Adrian Finol, Robin Walker, and David Speyrer from Valve react to speedrunner waezone's run through Half-Life 2.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah this video is great, any HL2 fan should watch it!

The ratio of time to create the level to the time waezone took to complete it. šŸ¤£

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i love that at one point in development Gordon had physics and could kill himself by walking into a wall. they really need to bring that back

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love when they're joking about patching the physics bugs the day before a major speedrun kicks off.

Oct 27, 2017
Why's he running backwards, is that quicker? Pretty impressive, no idea how he gets so much speed! I'm playing through half life 2 again on geforce now and after a few minutes he's already further than I am after a couple of hours.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The part where he's backing the airboat into the wall and just launches through the level is hilarious.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I love this exchange

'Wow the airboat sections alot longer then I remember'

'Yeah because nobody thought that section was long at all'

lool

Oct 25, 2017
Why's he running backwards, is that quicker? Pretty impressive, no idea how he gets so much speed! I'm playing through half life 2 again on geforce now and after a few minutes he's already further than I am after a couple of hours.
Yes bunnyhopping backwards is faster. Valve tried to stop people going fast by bunnyhopping forward in the 2007 engine update by applying negative acceleration when you tried it so speedrunners do a quick 180 and use the negative acceleration to go super fast backwards.
There is an outdated Summoning Salt speedrun history video that explains some of these tricks.

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I wish they'd do one for Half-Life as well. It's the most spectacular speed run I've ever watched

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Now I really wanna see that E3 demo with the citizien tripping over a boot and dying.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic series. I love hearing all the behind the scenes stories the developers end up sharing.

Nov 2, 2017
Man, I wish they'd do one for Half-Life as well. It's the most spectacular speed run I've ever watched

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
There's a speed limit on some of the fast movement tech while the player is moving forwards. Devs never considered that players would simply turn around.
Yes bunnyhopping backwards is faster. Valve tried to stop people going fast by bunnyhopping forward in the 2007 engine update by applying negative acceleration when you tried it so speedrunners do a quick 180 and use the negative acceleration to go super fast backwards.
There is an outdated Summoning Salt speedrun history video that explains some of these tricks.

Awesome thanks!

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I re-play HL2 recently and I still remember how I disliked the airboat section very much; stretched way too long. Wish I could learn that speedrunning technique to skip the section entirely.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
This was super cool to see! Love hearing developers talk about their game in a relaxed manner.

Does not make me want to replay the game though, remembering all the talks you have to 'stand' through haha. Maybe I'll just grab some boxes and teleport myself away.. šŸ˜Ž

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How is this even remotely humanly possible? These people are literally wizards

Not only are the movements and timing on a whole different dimension than what I could ever imagine doing, but that they remember every tiny detail of the entire game down to the exact square inch of game space to be able to pull of these maneuvers. Absolute madmen.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

Not only are the movements and timing on a whole different dimension than what I could ever imagine doing, but that they remember every tiny detail of the entire game down to the exact square inch of game space to be able to pull of these maneuvers. Absolute madmen.

This is segmented, means that after each small segment they save and if they fail any trick, they just load back a few seconds. They may do hundreds of attempts for each trick until they get it perfect, so this is not realtime, but it's still shows that it's technically humanly possible. Still, mighty impressive.

There are realtime runs on YT that do it in 27 minutes:

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Here's a commentary video from the two main runners, where they break down pretty much the entire run. It's really long but a fascinating watch if you care about knowing the details. There's an insane amount of planning that went into it.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they keep attempting to talk about how they developed the area the runner is in only to abruptly stop and be like "well nevermind he's past it now" LMAO