• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
The mod originally released at the end of last year and was pretty janky. Now, with the latest update, it runs incredibly smooth and is much, much less finicky.

I just played it until my controllers died. Really awesome way to experience the game for the first time, highly recommended.

Hot tip if you play: Controllers all come by default unmapped. Use SteamVR's built in controller binding to load up one of the existing ones others have made.

Link to website to download.
Reddit post for new release.
GitHub link to source.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Alyx comes out Monday!

Don't have time for this but I'd like to try it down the road.

Edit: is it original graphics/engine?
I still can't believe it!
New Half Life game is coming in less than 48 hours!

happy-jello.gif

OP
OP

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Alyx comes out Monday!

Don't have time for this but I'd like to try it down the road.

Edit: is it original graphics/engine?
Its Original HL1 yep. The mod comes pre-enabled with HD models, and AI upscaled HD textures though. I tried the "classic mode" toggle that turns all the extra stuff off and the "HD" assets really god a very long way towards making it still look and feel great in VR

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I played a bunch till Surface Tension, and its something I'd like to do more, revisit my childhood games in VR. I'd kill for a Thief 1/2 VR mod.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What's this Tuesday nonsense in the title? Alyx comes out Monday!

I actually just finished a playthrough of everything. I'd never played HL1 or the HL2 episodes. If I'd known about this prior, I probably would have played HL1 in VR. Ah well.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
tried it at the begining of the year, and yeah, it was super janky for me. Might give it a new try now. Any impressions on the updated mod?

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Which Index binding is recommended?
I tried two - one had jump assigned to pushing forward on the analog stick (I prefer pressing a button), and the other one did not have smooth locomotion, only teleport.

OP
OP

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Which Index binding is recommended?
I tried two - one had jump assigned to pushing forward on the analog stick (I prefer pressing a button), and the other one did not have smooth locomotion, only teleport.
I was initially confused by that as well, but if we have the same config I believe analog up is long jump, as opposed to regular jump. I've got regular jump mapped to right A but don't remember if I mapped it myself or it came that way