• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a26121436/haley-joel-osment-kingdom-hearts-sora-forever/

Returning for the latest game in the franchise, Kingdom Hearts III, the actor admitted that he would be happy to play his character Sora "forever". "It's by far the longest relationship I've had with any character," Osment told Heat Vision, adding that the "vastness of the story" keeps him coming back to the role.

Musing on the lasting popularity of the franchise, Osment added: "You have some of the best creative minds in gameplay and storytelling." However, he added of his commitment: "I'd be happy playing this character forever."

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So I have been playing Japanese version and I don't know how he really sounds like in the English version (other than few clips I saw).
How do people feel about his performance in KH3? I have heard many people saying he was pretty bad in DDD.

Oct 27, 2017
For being a grown ass man, he did a good job pulling off the teenage voice. Hopefully if he continues the character, Sora being older will let him settle back into his natural voice.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
So I have been playing Japanese version and I don't know how he really sounds like in the English version (other than few clips I saw).
How do people feel about his performance in KH3? I have heard many people saying he was pretty bad in DDD.

He's a decent VA! His scripts can be bad sometimes though. His script for Sora in KH1 and KH3 have been his best so far outside of Vanitas.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I can only speak for KH1 and 2 so far but he isn't that noteworthy, also has to do with what he's given and the direction.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barely 5 hours into the game. I think he's good enough. Nothing mind blowing but he's just fine. Fits the character and he sells it well. I'm okay with Osment, he's cool in my book.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it, but Square would need to age the character at least a little. His performace felt off in Dream Drop Distance where Sora was de-aged to KH1 looks. In KH3 it felt better, but still not the best.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Let's hope the passage of time can agree as well. It really showed in DDD when trying to play a 14 year old Sora, though he was good in KH3.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I like him in the role a lot. He's not the greatest voice actor, but I can't imagine him not doing the voice.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The older sora gets the better. Paired with the truly fucking awful dialogue, his sora voice is okay, his vanitas voice is much better. The less he has to fake the super young voice the better the va.

obviously a better script/dialogue would help, but lol cmon

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
The older sora gets the better. Paired with the truly fucking awful dialogue, his sora voice is okay, his vanitas voice is much better. The less he has to fake the super young voice the better the va.

obviously a better script/dialogue would help, but lol cmon
Nomura said he writes the full script and story himself and Nomura will always be the story writer because he's the creator of KH, it's his baby.

Maybe the dialogue could be better with better English translations but the script writing certainly won't improve.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's continued to do a fantastic job. I can't imagine anybody else as Sora.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nomura said he writes the full script and story himself and Nomura will always be the story writer because he's the creator of KH, it's his baby.

Maybe the dialogue could be better with better English translations but the script writing certainly won't improve.

Not even sure it's about a better English translation as the dialogue itself just isn't that great originally. It'd probably be better if they could take more liberties with it.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
He did a hell of a lot better job this time around compared to DDD. I want to see more Drake Bell though, he did a really good job in the opening.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC, the only script Nomura handled himself was 358/2 Days. But that's a bit of a technicality as I'm sure he's still in charge of the overall plot beats and lore of the series, and you're right that it's probably not gonna change.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm cool with that. What needs to change is the script, give him some actual quality writing to work with.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will be sad if Sora is ever voiced by someone else. I grew up with this man voicing Sora.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
IIRC, the only script Nomura handled himself was 358/2 Days. But that's a bit of a technicality as I'm sure he's still in charge of the overall plot beats and lore of the series, and you're right that it's probably not gonna change.
In the most recent Famitsu interview, Nomura said he writes the script himself for all Kingdom Hearts games since 358/2 Days.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Please please please do.

Also pretty amazing hearing him grow up since he's sounds different in all 3 "mainline" games. For obvious reasons of course.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
yeah he is alot better in 3 that some of the other games, helps that he doesn't have to do the KH1 Sora voice

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
He has voiced Sora for so long, no matter how much better a new voice actor might be it just wouldn't be the same. Hope he voices Sora forever too.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised with his performance 20 hours in.
Given he has nothing good to work with.

I think the trailers didn't have the best lines so it sounded worse than it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Great! Haley joel is a pretty great actor both on screen and in the booth. And I'm super happy that He's cool with Sora :)

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

He is great actually, the script is a bit stiff but he worked well. I've played the series in Japanese as well and recently replaying some in English. Voices are pretty great, except for Aqua's in BBS. She sounded sleepy =/. the Japanese VA was so much better it isn't even funny.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
He definitely sounds old in some cases. A couple times in Frozen, one where his voice sounded very much like an adult groan rather than a teen. His old voice creeps in a few times earlier in the game too. So I don't mind at all if future KH (I haven't finished III) had an older Sora with his normal voice.

I'm glad he owns the role though. I wish more actors would, and be less money hungry. Want money, but also want the role, you know?

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
He is fine tbh. The script if anything is what can take me out of it tbh

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I played only KH1, 358/2 days and KH2 (I am on a quest to play all of them in preparation for KH3) and I think he is really good. Considering the lines he is sometimes asked to utter, he is really making the character alive.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

No! Nomura only wrote full script for 358/2

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Awesome news. HJO is Sora, can't imagine anyone else playing that character.

Dude sounded like he was having the time of his life playing Vanitas, it was so great.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
He sounds great in KH3.
The problem with the role is that Sora has been de-aged for the last three games he appeared in, and while he wasn't as bad in DDD, he was awful in Re:Coded, especially when he dodge rolls and honks like a goose.