• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

One of the leads on the game touched upon the topic of Voodoo Boys and the somewhat stereotypical gang name in this interview:
" "So the Voodoo Boys for example, the name comes not from the people themselves. That's not how they would call themselves. But that's how people from the city treat those people," explains Tomaszkiewicz. "They are extremely prejudiced towards them and because they are from Haiti where Voodoo is like an actual religion, this is what the label that they gave them. So through that we want to kind of show that the city oppresses them and the city doesn't accept them.

However as you progress through the story, as you saw in this quest, you see that actually they are not at all like stereotypical, like I don't know witch doctors or anything like that. They are actually very highly skilled Netrunners. They are some of the best in the city and they have nothing really in common with the prejudice that is built around them. [...] So in general, yes, I would argue is that we would like to portray the oppressiveness of the system and like how these people think in Night City about different people and how they treat each other.
" "

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
But do the Haitian Cyberpunk 2077 characters really gotta do Voodoo though? :/

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this popped up on my Twitter couple of days ago. I love his excitement :)

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
But do the Haitian Cyberpunk 2077 characters really gotta do Voodoo though? :/

Going by Cyberpunk lore, most members of the Voodoo Boys are actually white, maybe they are mixed? I don't know.

Polygon impression

When they were first introduced in 1988, the Voodoo Boys were a violent fringe group, described as "a terrorist gang with ritual magic overtones" mostly comprised of white people with a Caribbean-inspired affect. Years later, CD Projekt has recast the Voodoo Boys as Haitian spiritualists whose unique form of worship involves hacking and trips through cyberspace. They have a passion for black leather and powerful computers, and are well respected all throughout the Pacifica neighborhood.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been following the game as much but is that a thing in it?

yep. It's seriously cool that this guy is excited about it, sadly if you look at the comments (and will probably happen here soon) the tweet is used as an ammunition against people that have any problem about how they are represented.

Oct 27, 2017

ket

Jul 27, 2018
For some people, a stereotypical representation is sometimes better than no representation at all. I hope the end result has more depth and nuance than just 'Haitian gang doing voodoo.'

Not for me. I'm pretty tired of Haitians in games almost always being associated with Voodoo. Shit is an annoying, eye-rolling stereotype.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad this one guy is excited but I'm there seems to be valid criticism for linking Haitians to voodoo. Its the easiest cultural stereotype.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For some people, a stereotypical representation is sometimes better than no representation at all. I hope the end result has more depth and nuance than just 'Haitian gang doing voodoo.'
Mike Pondsmith addressed that the Voodoo Boys were a predominantly white gang in the p&p in the interview with yongyea, I think. He said that they decided that it would be the perfect situation to insert some black (and more specifically Hatian) representation into the game. Anyway, he said that he was very happy with how they are were represented (like, he's obviously talking about the Creole thing, but he also talked about a church being in the game, and him feeling like "yeah, this is what this would look like in real life"). Remains to be seen how true that is, but I feel comfortable giving the benefit of the doubt when the creator of the p&p explicitly calls this out as a good thing.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It is part of Haiti's culture but it is not widely practiced in our community and is generally considered to be taboo.

It also doesn't help that it is a stereotype that is often applied to Haitians in media.
I mean, the stereotypical portrayal of Voodoo is (I assume) hardly representative of the actual Haitian cultural heritage. The stipulation I'm implicitly setting here is that they're going for the latter, and not for the completely offensive stereotypes. They're not going to get it a hundred percent right, I'm sure, but maybe they'll get closer to a point where it's actual an interesting portrayal of a part of Haitian culture. And the fact that they seem to have gotten the Creole part right can't be a bad thing.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I mean, the stereotypical portrayal of Voodoo is (I assume) hardly representative of the actual Haitian cultural heritage. The stipulation I'm implicitly setting here is that they're going for the latter, and not for the completely offensive stereotypes. They're not going to get it a hundred percent right, I'm sure, but maybe they'll get closer to a point where it's actual an interesting portrayal of a part of Haitian culture. And the fact that they seem to have gotten the Creole part right can't be a bad thing.

It is not the stereotypical portrayal of Voodoo that I'm talking about. The problem I have is with the stereotypical depiction of Haitians only being associated with Voodoo (despite the fact that Haiti is a very conservative Christian country).

There is more to Haitian culture than Voodoo and I'm pretty sick of that being the common depiction of Haitians in media. It's lazy.

May 26, 2018
It's great to hear the gang itself has been changed to be more positive. Instead of being one step away from cannibals or something.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It is not the stereotypical portrayal of Voodoo that I'm talking about. The problem I have is with the stereotypical depiction of Haitians only being associated with Voodoo (despite the fact that Haiti is a very conservative Christian country).

There is more to Haitian culture than Voodoo and I'm pretty sick of that being the common depiction of Haitians in media. It's lazy.
Maybe they also incorporate other Haitian characteristics into the Voodoo Boys. Like I get that it's stereotypical to associate Voodoo with Haitians, but for example, this dude doesn't look like he even practices Voodoo to me.

5CmCsgA.jpg

I get that they're called Voodoo Boys, and I'm sure Voodoo will be an important part of their portrayal, but at first glance, it really doesn't look like a super overt case of "Hi, we're Haitian and we practice Voodoo, and that's all we are!" at least.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Mike Pondsmith addressed that the Voodoo Boys were a predominantly white gang in the p&p in the interview with yongyea, I think. He said that they decided that it would be the perfect situation to insert some black (and more specifically Hatian) representation into the game. Anyway, he said that he was very happy with how they are were represented (like, he's obviously talking about the Creole thing, but he also talked about a church being in the game, and him feeling like "yeah, this is what this would look like in real life"). Remains to be seen how true that is, but I feel comfortable giving the benefit of the doubt when the creator of the p&p explicitly calls this out as a good thing.

Gives more representation and gets around not having a bunch of white guys with bones through their nose and other things about the gang that would not be received well today.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yep. It's seriously cool that this guy is excited about it, sadly if you look at the comments (and will probably happen here soon) the tweet is used as an ammunition against people that have any problem about how they are represented.
Isn't that what all people do? If it was a Haitian complaining about cyberpunk it would also be used ammunition for arguments

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe they also incorporate other Haitian characteristics into the Voodoo Boys. Like I get that it's stereotypical to associate Voodoo with Haitians, but for example, this dude doesn't look like he even practices Voodoo to me.

5CmCsgA.jpg

I get that they're called Voodoo Boys, and I'm sure Voodoo will be an important part of their portrayal, but at first glance, it really doesn't look like a super overt case of "Hi, we're Haitian and we practice Voodoo, and that's all we are!" at least.

So far what we know is that they are juiced (on performance enhancing drugs) and they use a lot of melee and come rushing at you. And Mike explained how they came up for the design in an E3 interview they did. Don't remember with who it was i think it was with YongYhea.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So far what we know is that they are juiced (on performance enhancing drugs) and they use a lot of melee and come rushing at you. And Mike explained how they came up for the design in an E3 interview they did. Don't remember with who it was i think it was with YongYhea.
That's actually The Animals, I believe. In the demo, the Voodoo Boys send you to wipe out The Animals.

Alameda

Banned
May 19, 2019
User banned (permanent): troll account
I wonder why all the white people on this forum (most of you are white) were so outraged?

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
So who where those people getting pissed on behalf of Haitian people? Where they pissed Haitians were getting representation or being outraged that some people do actually speak and act like that.

Glad this guy is getting proper representation in media now, I bet its few and far between.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Being a Haitian, I would rather there was no representation if the only way they could do it was to stick the stupid voodoo stereotype on us, considering VooDoo actually originated from African countries.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also worth noting that this gang is much less overtly hostile than the others we've seen thus far. You still don't want to mess with them, but they're pretty diplomatic with outsiders.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Is it bad to show that Vodou is a part of Haitian culture? It's all about context. It'd be obviously racist to have only Voodoo stereotypes in this game but the cast seems very diverse with much more depth than expected.

Heartwarming video btw.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Is it bad to show that Vodou is a part of Haitian culture? It's all about context. It'd be obviously racist to have only Voodoo stereotypes in this game but the cast seems very diverse with much more depth than expected.

Heartwarming video btw.

Once again, the problem is that Voodoo is often the only part of Haitian culture that is depicted in media. There is more to Haitian culture than Voodoo yet that is what a lot of people associate with it because of lazy depictions/stereotypes.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why all the white people on this forum (most of you are white) were so outraged?

I'm white so i'm mostly keeping out of it, as it's not really my place. But there is literally one poster in this thread identifying as Haitian and being racesplained to how things are just fine.