• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'm 23 and I've always good healthy looking hair.
But I always knew, deep down, that it was only a matter of time.
My father was already almost bald when he was my age. And that thought always terrified me, so I've always been very vigilant about the state of my hair. When I noticed a little widows peak was forming last year, I started taking medecine to try and slow it down, maybe even stop it.

For months, it seemed I was in the clear, but a couple of days ago, I've noticed that the hair left side of my widows peak got significantly thinner.
I don't know if it's because I haven't cut them in a while but it doesn't really matter, my scalp is starting to show.

I'm doomed.
Goodbye hair and goodbye love life, I'm an old man now.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Eh you get used to it. I just get a hair cut that makes it look better. Aka you don't have to shave your head now.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the sooner you become ok with it the better. many people don't even care if you're bald, they'll date you anyway.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talk to your doctor, get on finasteride/minoxidil/whatever they recommend, profit with your new hair that'll stay for quite some time.

Bonus points: If your hair just recently fell out, it may come back with finasteride alone as it's not truly gone yet.

EDIT: I do see you're taking something - however do try combination treatments too. Lots of people have success on finasteride/minoxidil together.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Its fine. Just do what I did and get married young before all the hair is gone.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Get a haircut that'll "hide" it best as possible, embrace it, or see someone and find something that'll work to reverse it.

I'm 32 and have the George Costanza thing going on unless I shave. It's depressing. Been years and I'm never going to be okay with it, I used to have amazing hair women in my life used to be jealous over.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My father was already almost bald when he was my age. And that thought always terrified me, so I've always been very vigilant about the state of my hair. When I noticed a little widows peak was forming last year, I started taking medecine to try and slow it down, maybe even stop it.

For months, it seemed I was in the clear, but a couple of days ago, I've noticed that the hair left side of my widows peak got significantly thinner.
I don't know if it's because I haven't cut them in a while but it doesn't really matter, my scalp is starting to show.

I'm doomed.
edit: I'm dumb, you say you take something in the OP. What do you take?

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I've been searching for a good finasteride solutions for a while now, but I don't know where to look. Anybody has a good link ? I can't go to Keeps since I'm not in the US

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And here I am wishing my hair would stop growing so I can finally go full bald. Want to trade?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Embrace it and shave it all off. I've been rocking bald for close to 10 years. You get used to it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Just make peace with it. Minoxidil and Finasteride can slow it down a little bit but doesn't seem to work on most. There was supposed to be some very promising research towards a potential "cure" that a researcher told my med school class but I haven't heard anything since then (this was 6 years ago).

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm losing all my top hair and only my side hair is remaining strong.
Not too many years until I look like this...

king_of_the_hill.bill_dauterive.jpg

Can't they splice side hair DNA and put that shit on top...

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm honestly not sure which I would have preferred: premature balding or premature greying. I guess with greying I still have my hair and it's actually rather thick (my dad's is still thick and he's about to turn 75). I just hate that since very early college I was already getting the salt. It's not as grey as it probably could be at 41, but it's still danged grey.

Beard though? I've had one twice: once while my wife was pregnant and then again when the pandemic started. Both started around the same time of each year and lasted about as long, but I'll be damned if that crap isn't wiry and white as snow.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
if you have money you can have all the hair you want

pretty sure you need a prescription for fin at least in canada

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Finasteride works. I started taking .25mg/day and will slowly ramp up to 1mg if I continue to not experience side effects. Will add in minoxidil as well to promote growth.

I agree it's an issue not many people will listen to you about. It seriously fucks up your self image especially at a younger age.

"Just shave bro" is not a one size fits all.

Last edited:

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
just go to a teledoc (online doctor) and get a finasteride script real quick.

takes 30 mins.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm doomed.
I was balding at 23 and it's long gone now at 46 but I still have a full head of hair in my dreams for some reason. Prepare for your brain to be in permanent denial.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I'm growing my hair and am enjoying the length, the thought of going bald is terrible, I would absolutely not be someone that suits it in any way. At times now that my hair is longer I notice the daily shedding more and I worry at times.

I think if I go bald I'll just buy a wig.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you don't rock a skullett or combover you won't look ridiculous. Hiding it makes it worse imo.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What I've heard is that hair loss is linked to more levels of testosterone in the body. I also saw an interview with Larry David where they said that women find bald men more assertive and attractive. Larry David said it was bullshit though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
When my hair began to go, it encouraged me to make up for it with a decent excise routine and eating more healthily, dress better, and I feel good about it now and look better than I used to.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As I do approximately once every four months or so, I should mention that hair transplant therapy is basically fucking magic and I went from balding as fuck at 25 to a straight up full head of hair.

Obviously only for those in a place of relative financial privilege (~$10k-12k), but I thought I'd mention it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Finasteride has been good at slowing it for me.

I feel for all the women having to deal with the issue out there, the wig life is not something I could do.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This makes me sad for you, as a man with long hair… I'd be my lost.

my condolences brother, some of the coolest dudes I know are bald tho !

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hop on Finasteride, Minoxidil, and shampoo with Nizoral. The sooner, the better. Enjoy keeping your hair (and hope you aren't in the small percentage that experiences bad sexual side effects).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
As I do approximately once every four months or so, I should mention that hair transplant therapy is basically fucking magic and I went from balding as fuck at 25 to a straight up full head of hair.

Obviously only for those in a place of relative financial privilege (~$10k-12k), but I thought I'd mention it.
Yeah very expensive magic. Might be several procedures, as you get older. I'm glad it worked for you though.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think if it affects your morale and self confidence significantly, it might be worth it to take a loan out for a transplant. Although, are they 100% effective? Bezos is bald as fuck and hes not hurting for money....

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think if it affects your morale and self confidence significantly, it might be worth it to take a loan out for a transplant. Although, are they 100% effective? Bezos is bald as fuck and hes not hurting for money....
They're effective if the doctor says they'll be effective, which is to say, you have a certain type of balding pattern and your donor area has a sufficient number of follicles. A (usually free) consultation should tell you.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
They're effective if the doctor says they'll be effective, which is to say, you have a certain type of balding pattern and your donor area has a sufficient number of follicles. A (usually free) consultation should tell you.

Then I guess its a very specific demographic that can reap the benefits from a trasplant since so many men are still bald.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, hair transplants remove hair roots from different parts of your body and put it on top. They work with what you have, and you might have to have several proceeders if your hair keeps going. If Bezoz tried that, his new hair probably wouldn't even look that good.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I'm 21, and my hair is thinning on top. I gave myself a pretty short buzz cut during the march 2020 lockdown and really liked the results, and I've been cutting it that way since. IMO you should just embrace it, both men and women I've met like it and I feel more confident in how I look

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
I've been using finasteride + minoxidil for two years now and I'm having some success with it (sure my hair is not what it used to be, but I'm far from being bald)

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
What I've heard is that hair loss is linked to more levels of testosterone in the body. I also saw an interview with Larry David where they said that women find bald men more assertive and attractive. Larry David said it was bullshit though.

Not necessarily true. It can also simply be that your hair follicles are more susceptible to DHT, the hormone that causes the loss.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then I guess its a very specific demographic that can reap the benefits from a trasplant since so many men are still bald.
Not really, it's just pretty expensive and most people don't consider it an option. The most common type of balding, male pattern baldness, will generally be compatible with HTT.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
happiness is a choice 😂 /s

I been a badly for a long time OP. You get used to it. Learn how to style around it.

I'm sure these days there are alternatives for you. Had a buddy that did the hair estimation thing and it worked for him.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It could be worse. I've got the George Costanza look, except for a triangular patch just above my forehead that continues to grow. So even before I started shaving my head, I had to shave that patch to keep from looking completely bizarre.

I shaved my head last year and was just done with it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been searching for a good finasteride solutions for a while now, but I don't know where to look. Anybody has a good link ? I can't go to Keeps since I'm not in the US

I don't know if they operate in your region but there's a few different ones. Roman, Keeps, etc. They do an online doctor consultation (just a questionnnaire unless you have health hazards I think) and then you're golden. The price they charge is basically like $0.50 USD per daily pill or something.

The thing is it mostly just prevents further balding. To build back what was lost, a hair transplant is needed where they take hair that still exists from the back of your head and redistribute it in the balding region. That'll require an in-person consultation with a hair transplant doctor and I think is usually around $10,000.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hairline started to recede in my early twenties. I started taking fin at around 23 and my hairline hasn't budged in 7-ish years. It actually works incredibly well as long as you are ok with the small risk of admittedly severe side effects (haven't experienced any myself).

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Might need to peg this for later research. I've noticed since lockdown my hair is thinning and also appears to be receding. I talked to my mom about this since I'm not in contact with my dad side of the family, and apparently her dad was bald when she was born so it seems like I'm fucked.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah aside from a week where I felt very emo, I haven't had any sides with Fin. Been on it for a 7-8 months

I'm just now adding Min, so hopefully I should see some progress in a few months

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really sorry, OP. Hopefully Finasteride & the like can help you out on a long enough timeline.

I turn 30 this year and haven't noticed any movement yet. My pop's hairline was fucked by the time he was my age, but the men on my mom's side generally make it well into old age with theirs intact. I'm hoping the latter rubs off on me more. I like the idea of having grey dreads someday.