• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the episode yet, but I've been wondering if they'd get through the whole match this episode, and it seems like they did. That's a lot of chapters to adapt in a single episode and I imagine they've cut a lot of the little Tsubakihara moments, but looking at the season as a whole there's really no other way to do it. If that's what it takes to get the best second cour possible I'll happily take that sacrifice.
They still did a little Tsubakihara flashback, and focus/jabs on their teammate that botched the pass.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
What am I missing if you can explain vaguely?

I haven't watched the episode yet so don't take what I'm saying too strongly, but if the match did indeed end this episode that means they adapted around 7 chapters in this one episode. There's bound to be some stuff cut, and I imagine some of that might be little character building moments for the opponents. As to if anything (important) was actually cut, I'll defer to Dedication Through Light for that until I get the chance to watch the episode myself.

They still did a little Tsubakihara flashback, and focus/jabs on their teammate that botched the pass.

That's good to know then.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed that episode, focusing on how much stronger Karasuno is as a team now was just satisfying to watch. Loved seeing Hinata put what he learned into action in an actual match, it was great that he couldn't get the execution down but the players who are the best at receiving picked up that he's not just moving on instinct anymore.

The previous Karasuno Seniors being at the match was a pleasant surprise, that in combination with some of the focus Asahi, Daichi, Suga & Kiyoko got these last few episodes is trying to prepare me to say goodbye to the third years and I'm not ready for that.

Appreciated that Tsubakihara got a few little moments, the entire buildup and payoff for the serve was great. Haikyuu is always good about getting you to root a little for the teams Karasuno play against and I'm glad that stayed true, even with a team that was clearly there as a stop gap before the bigger teams.

Also shoutout to the animation work done on the fake-out from Hinata at the end. I legitimately thought he was going to spike the ball and it's been a while since the show has managed to catch me off guard with Hinata working as a decoy.

Is the next episode the final episode until July or have we still got a couple left?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the next episode the final episode until July or have we still got a couple left?
comicbook.com

Haikyuu Season 4 Reveals Episode Order

Haikyuu's fourth season, officially titled Haikyuu!! To The Top, has now officially made its debut [...]

Says 25 so I imagine 12 and 13

edit: whoops
The first cour includes the first three releases will include the first 13 episodes and will all finish shipping by July in Japan, and the final 12 episodes will start shipping in September to coincide with the second cour's return in the Summer.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
That break is going to be rough but at least there's one more episode than I was expecting before the break.

I'm real curious to see how many episodes we get per match from this point on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That break is going to be rough but at least there's one more episode than I was expecting before the break.

I'm real curious to see how many episodes we get per match from this point on.
haven't noticed any anime delays since I only watch this one, but are the animation houses slowing down like how hollywood and US tv is shutting down

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
haven't noticed any anime delays since I only watch this one, but are the animation houses slowing down like how hollywood and US tv is shutting down
I was wondering that myself but I also only keep up with this so I'm not too sure.

My guess is that it's largely business as usual, just based on how Japan seems to be handling the situation at the moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bokuto is so dumb. Needs Akashi to hype him everytime up to get it going.
I like this little dude. He's like "better Hinata" in every way.
Hinata adding +1 rofl

kamome = seagull
👩‍🏫

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Some really nice cuts this week, not to mention last week too. I loooove the Hoshiumi sequence, it does such a good job of showing us just how good he is. The "little giant" cut was especially inspired, starting off with a low perspective making him look like a real giant before zooming out further. They should just give Mukouda a solo episode for the second cour, it'd be the best thing ever. A man can dream.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Think I mentioned before that I hoped we'd check in with Nekoma and Fukurodani as the Nationals progressed so this episode was a nice surprise. With Hinata meeting Hoshiumi and that sequence with him being referred to as a little giant I'm now entirely unsure of who exactly Karasuno will end up playing throughout the Nationals and that's exciting, the only one that feels like a lock is Nekoma.

Also seemed to be a lot of great animation sprinkled throughout this episode which almost feels like a tease, given that there's going to be a break before we get to the next actual match.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imwHgc7.jpg

The bracket shows a 52 team field. The top 12 seeds get a Day 1 bye and need five wins to win it all and the other 40 team needs six wins to win 1st.

My guess is Itachiyama was one of the top 12 seeds and got a Day 1 bye for coming first in the Tokyo prefecture. Fukurodani is playing Day 1 so I guess they were number 2 in Tokyo and Nekoma was 3rd needing to beat Nohebi in OVA 4.

lHZVurO.jpg

Karasuno has to win six times to win the championship and their next match seems to be a top 12 seed Inarizaki.
Then hypothetically four more if they are to get to the finals.

Episode 13 stinger/preview
Looks like this is the Tanaka & osananajimi episode

Last edited:

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I love the Atsumu-Osamu twin reveal soooo much. Really well-directed episode too. Can't wait for the second cour.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Atsumu-Osamu twin reveal soooo much. Really well-directed episode too. Can't wait for the second cour.
Yes! I didn't see that coming, I dig it. Made me realize I'm surprised we hadn't gotten hit with twins yet in this show lol.

Hinata's already looking to breakout something new again and I'm pumped for it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, that was a really good buildup for the match. On the one hand I'm glad that we actually got into the match a little, on the other the wait is going to be even more painful now.

The twin reveal was a surprise, as was highlighting that the team is made up of a bunch of really good players. I figured we were heading towards Inarizaki being built around Atsumu so it's interesting that it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very relieved the anime didn't whitewash Aran, by the way. I wasn't necessarily expecting it, but you know how anime can be. Haikyuu stays winning.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leon and early Shiratorizawa alpha models doe
I think there's another version too before they finalized the S3 looks
😭

znsiQTj.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found the time to binge this. Good season as always, though it's a shame that the lower episode made it so that it was primarily focused on practice. Now the wait for Nationals is so painful!

And they made it worse by making the opposing team's setter so damn smug. Though I'll admit, the twin reveal was pretty hype lol

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty surprised they ended the cour where they did, honestly. I was expecting it to end right before the start of the match. Then again, with the way they truncated the Tsubakihara match there really wasn't another option unless they stretched the hell out of the material.

I guess they're not necessarily treating it as split-cour composition-wise, just in terms of production, which I'm a-ok with.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably tell everyone to go read the manga if the second cour wasn't just a season away. With how good the big moments this season have been, not to mention what we've gotten of Nationals so far, I think it'd be worth it to wait for summer.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know of any delays regarding 2ndcour? I love this show but i don't really feel like enjoying it manga form.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only 4 pages? Isn't the series super popular, disappointed era isn't paying attention. Caught up to season 4. Training arc was done super well, loved that the main little man is beginning to improve other aspects of his game, and the Prince.. well I'm not sure where they're going with his story other than him getting his teammates to improve rather than accepting their deficiencies.

One thing I really didn't like which is common in sports anime.. is them beating an absolute power house whose been in the finals two years in a row (?) as the 2nd best of Japan, and yet they fucking struggle against a good team.. but cmon. That was just so ridiculous, even with the team trying to learn new things. It really annoyed me how power scales were despite everything else this season being super good. Can't wait until the second part. I usually always skip intros so I don't get spoiled.. but I saw the first few seconds of Hinata getting up to play.. that kind of iconography is giving me some ideas on what to expect, but rather vs who? Super excited to see him possibly stop some balls. Can't wait until he learns how to serve as well >:)

Season 4: 9/10

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Only 4 pages? Isn't the series super popular, disappointed era isn't paying attention. Caught up to season 4. Training arc was done super well, loved that the main little man is beginning to improve other aspects of his game, and the Prince.. well I'm not sure where they're going with his story other than him getting his teammates to improve rather than accepting their deficiencies.

One thing I really didn't like which is common in sports anime.. is them beating an absolute power house whose been in the finals two years in a row (?) as the 2nd best of Japan, and yet they fucking struggle against a good team.. but cmon. That was just so ridiculous, even with the team trying to learn new things. It really annoyed me how power scales were despite everything else this season being super good. Can't wait until the second part. I usually always skip intros so I don't get spoiled.. but I saw the first few seconds of Hinata getting up to play.. that kind of iconography is giving me some ideas on what to expect, but rather vs who? Super excited to see him possibly stop some balls. Can't wait until he learns how to serve as well >:)

"Power"? This isn't Dragon Ball. Of course they're gonna struggle a bit in their first big game.

Oct 25, 2017

One thing I really didn't like which is common in sports anime.. is them beating an absolute power house whose been in the finals two years in a row (?) as the 2nd best of Japan, and yet they fucking struggle against a good team.. but cmon. That was just so ridiculous, even with the team trying to learn new things. It really annoyed me how power scales were despite everything else this season being super good. Can't wait until the second part. I usually always skip intros so I don't get spoiled.. but I saalw the first few seconds of Hinata getting up to play.. that kind of iconography is giving me some ideas on what to expect, but rather vs who? Super excited to see him possibly stop some balls. Can't wait until he learns how to serve as well >:)

i wish it was that popular but sports and volleyball and lack of superpowers probably holds it back.

Feel the struggle against teams with good teamwork is sensible same for defeating avteam where everyone does their own thing

I hope you watch the ova.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just binged all 4 seasons of MHA, it's S4 OT got 3000+ posts and 3 OT's worth for the manga.
🙄
Maybe Hinata should yell the names of American cities when he spikes.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I agree that this series should be way more popular than it is, but what you gonna do I guess. I think the long gap between seasons 3 and 4 also contributes to this somewhat.

Good to hear you enjoyed the Ballboy Arc, it's one of my favorite parts of the story. Generally, the point of Kageyama's development is that he has to accept himself for who he is. He's a kinda bossy, demanding person, and that's okay. He just has to communicate properly. Acknowledging this means that he can hopefully be more confident and comfortable in pushing the others to be better.

About your second point, assuming you're talking about Shiratorizawa, they're not the 2nd best of Japan. It's something I've at times felt like the series (or maybe the subs) could've done a better job explaining. When they're called the Champions and having been to the finals two years in a row, that's specifically talking about their prefecture and its qualifiers. They have gone to Nationals pretty much every year at least since Ushiwaka has been there, but they're not necessarily top of the whole nation. At the last Inter High they were eliminated in the quarter finals, so they're top 8 IIRC.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i wish it was that popular but sports and volleyball and lack of superpowers probably holds it back.

Feel the struggle against teams with good teamwork is sensible same for defeating avteam where everyone does their own thing

I hope you watch the ova.
Well it is in Japan, doesn't it sell in the top 6 the last couple of years in regards to the manga? What's the OVA about and when is it? Would be something to catch up on before the next season comes up.. if I don't just jump on the manga. My sister bought me I think all Berserk volumes so I need to clean up my backlog first.

I just binged all 4 seasons of MHA, it's S4 OT got 3000+ posts and 3 OT's worth for the manga.
🙄
Maybe Hinata should yell the names of American cities when he spikes.
MHA was always going to be a much more popular in the west than a sports manga that isn't footy, baseball or bball. It's basically like the MCU or DC movies, in all the good and bad ways.

About your second point, assuming you're talking about Shiratorizawa, they're not the 2nd best of Japan. It's something I've at times felt like the series (or maybe the subs) could've done a better job explaining. When they're called the Champions and having been to the finals two years in a row, that's specifically talking about their prefecture and its qualifiers. They have gone to Nationals pretty much every year at least since Ushiwaka has been there, but they're not necessarily top of the whole nation. At the last Inter High they were eliminated in the quarter finals, so they're top 8 IIRC.
Ballboy arc was fantastic, it was also about time Hinata wasn't a one-note type of player, because his style despite being dynamic/effective only did one thing.

I'm a bit confused from your other point, since it's been a while since I watched season 3. They're called champions because they win their division two years in a row, and they lost to said finals to Karasuno. Why say they made the finals when they win 2x in a row, unless they meant something else? Also, didn't they lose both times to the winner of the best team in Japan? And also, wasn't that the other little guy that has white hair, aka the better Hinata?

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit confused from your other point, since it's been a while since I watched season 3. They're called champions because they win their division two years in a row, and they lost to said finals to Karasuno. Why say they made the finals when they win 2x in a row, unless they meant something else? Also, didn't they lose both times to the winner of the best team in Japan? And also, wasn't that the other little guy that has white hair, aka the better Hinata?

Sorry, I made it needlessly complicated. Shiratorizawa are considered the top team in Miyagi, the prefecture Karasuno and Seijo are also in, because they seem to always make it pretty far in the qualifiers. We know for sure they made it to the qualifier finals the previous two years with Ushiwaka, but we don't know if they won and actually made it to Nationals those times. I assume they did, but we don't really know IIRC.

The things we know for sure is that they went to the Inter-High Nationals after beating Seijo at the end of Season 1, and went on to lose in the quarter finals at Nationals (off-screen). We don't know who they lost to. After that is the Spring High qualifiers, where they lost to Karasuno in the finals, aka Season 3.

I think you're confusing a couple of characters at the end there. All we know about the white-haired kid, Hoshiumi, is that he was at the Training Camp with Kageyama and he's really good. We don't know anything about his team beyond their name, Kamomedai.
You might be confusing him with Sakusa, the black haired guy with the face mask who was also at the Training Camp with Kageyama. He plays for a team called Itachiyama, who are the current best team in Japan. He's also one of the top 3 aces in all of Japan alongside Ushiwaka.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for this too hehe. I don't think i'll enjoy the manga as much as this adaptation.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Understandable, but man.

Still gonna wait. I tried reading the manga before, just enjoy the anime a lot more.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting on that news ever since the first cour ended. I'm curious how long the delay ends up being.

Either way I'll be holding out for the anime to return rather than reading the manga.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
The official Haikyuu anime Twitter just posted a new key visual for Inarizaki, so hopefully that means the promotion for the second cour is starting back up, and with it a new release date. For what it's worth, YonkouProd on Twitter is saying the second cour will air in the Fall season, which is really the obvious (and best case) scenario.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I have been binging this on Netflix for the last week and anime just makes everything awesome, including volleyball. I have been playing Volleyball for 5 years too.