• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest surprise is nothing for Kaitlin Olson. She more than holds her own against the rest of the crew and manages to effortlessly swing wildly between bliss and rage. Olson plays the character so well that you're always rooting for her even though you know she's probably going to fall on her face and take an endless amount of shit from the others. It's hilarious and depressing at the same time.

the introduction, mid series, of a huge Hollywood a-lister looks like Poochie 101 on paper but Frank ended up being the most amazingly counterintuitively brilliant decision in the history of TV.

obviously DeVito is a genius anyway but he went to the show from pure passion and love and rather than distort or outshine their talent he became this incredible pressure valve to let them ratchet up the show to heights it may never otherwise have reached and it was already one of the best shows on TV.

the fact that these profoundly evil agents of chaos and selfishness could be humanized or amplified by this newcomer was eye opening.

And if there's any justice the Emmies will fix it for the final season. It won't be a consolation prize it'll be an admission of prior failure and a deserved apology.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
No, no, not danger. It's not danger. They knew what they were getting into when they tuned in. It's not danger, Mac.

(Twisting it a bit to fit the thread) Because if the Emmies said 'no', then the answer is obviously 'no'. But the thing is the Emmies is not gonna say no. Emmies would never say 'no', because of the implication.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frank showed up at the beginning of Season 2.

That's not midshow. The show barely had an identity.

I considered saying that but my point was really the opposite of yours- the show didn't have a following or momentum but it absolutely established an identity in season one. The post Frank Always Sunny is absolutely the same show- just better in a really unexpected way.

not disputing your point at all - just better expressing my intent and the feeling I had about season one and beyond. Obviously you're correct.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
The Good Place is not an awful show what the fuck

Anyway I think a big reason Sunny gets snubbed is that it's pretty damn explicit and that makes people uncomfortable or grossed out while they completely overlook the genius of it

I think this is part of it. I tried to get my siblings and friends into the show but they just couldn't take the humor and how the show functions. Anecdotes, yes, but it shows that Always Sunny does make people uncomfortable. My siblings and friends like gross humor but I can definitely see it in them when Always Sunny comes up and how they deconstruct the show.

It's a bit too much for them is what I'm saying. They understand it to a degree but just can't get into it because it really makes them uncomfortable with themselves, and I guess the show shows and tells it more bluntly than they're used to. It's like looking into a mirror and them realizing how horrible of a person they really are. They don't want to watch that.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The biggest surprise is nothing for Kaitlin Olson. She more than holds her own against the rest of the crew and manages to effortlessly swing wildly between bliss and rage. Olson plays the character so well that you're always rooting for her even though you know she's probably going to fall on her face and take an endless amount of shit from the others. It's hilarious and depressing at the same time.

The Mick was really good. Sad to see that get cancelled.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck awards, it's just a bullshit game.

Always Sunny is fantastic, least it's popular with fans, even if it hasn't won awards.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't worry too much about it. it's a brilliant show but they made an entire episode about how they feel about awards lol

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I was just watching this episode.

"Do you have some sort of dunkey brain database?"

"I'm looking for a kid, uh, the frog kid. Just search for any half man half amphibian creature."

Not to mention Dee and Dennis.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered, how could they even afford Danny DeVito? He can't have been cheap.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This just isn't true. The season where Glenn is filming AP Bio is probably one of the weaker ones but even that had Time's Up and Mac Finds His Pride. The most recent series was top tier. Always Sunny is probably the best show on t.v. and it's a shame no one but fans recognize that.

It absolutely is true. Those first 4 seasons are near perfection. 5-7 are really good. 8 is where the steady decline started. Mac used to be a lot less brain dead and ditzy. Even early on when he loved Dennis it wasn't so desperate and on the nose. Dennis used to be crazy, but not nearly the straight up murderous psychopath he is now. Every character has gotten ridiculously flanderized. It's still a very good show, but it no doubt has dropped off a bit

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is true. Those first 4 seasons are near perfection. 5-7 are really good. 8 is where the steady decline started. Mac used to be a lot less brain dead and ditzy. Even early on when he loved Dennis it wasn't so desperate and on the nose. Dennis used to be crazy, but not nearly the straight up murderous psychopath he is now. Every character has gotten ridiculously flanderized. It's still a very good show, but it no doubt has dropped off a bit
Eh that's the thing though. I feel that, in Sunny case, as the characters get more and more flanderized they get better. I like to watch Sunny to see the absurd insanity this group of completely terrible people is making. As they keep getting more and more "distilled" versions of themselves, the show kinda feels stronger for it.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the Emmys have been regularly out of touch with their comedy award choices from the point at which "I Love Lucy" went off the air.

If you look at the winners in the 1990s, for example, "Seinfeld" and "The Larry Sanders Show" have one - ONE! - Best Comedy Emmy between them. No offense to "Frasier" or its fans, but come the FUCK on.

I give them credit for giving the first season of AD that award, but they whiff when it comes to comedy much more often than not.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO, the Emmys have been regularly out of touch with their comedy award choices from the point at which "I Love Lucy" went off the air.

If you look at the winners in the 1990s, for example, "Seinfeld" and "The Larry Sanders Show" have one - ONE! - Best Comedy Emmy between them. No offense to "Frasier" or its fans, but come the FUCK on.

I give them credit for giving the first season of AD that award, but they whiff when it comes to comedy much more often than not.
...I think Frasier is better

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
This just isn't true. The season where Glenn is filming AP Bio is probably one of the weaker ones but even that had Time's Up and Mac Finds His Pride. The most recent series was top tier. Always Sunny is probably the best show on t.v. and it's a shame no one but fans recognize that.

"You May ask, 'would a woman really text that dennis?' Their phone did."
For me, the first 6 or 7 seasons are pure gold. I can watch those beginning to end. The rest I find myself skipping around because I don't enjoy them as much either.
Oh man, I disagree with this pretty hard. I would say 12-14 have more misses than usual, but 8-11 have plenty of all timers. 13 is clearly the weakest of the show aside from a few classics.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get it, you mean they veer from raunchy comedy? I guess that makes sense, I am biased and think frasier is best comedy show OF ALL TIME

"Raunchy" is a bit narrow for what I'm talking about, but maybe they go for the stuff that's more accessible and crowd-pleasing.

Note: Being accessible doesn't make a show bad, which I think some people might argue. However, I think the Emmy awards ignore a lot of really great stuff that is maybe subverting common TV comedy tropes a lot of the time.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Is the show at least nominated every year? I guess I haven't laid that much attention

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It does seem overlooked. It's up there in quality with all of the greats from the last decade. I love all of these shows which are basically about psychos that are just out doing normal stuff. This, Veep, Vice Principals, and more.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Only up to the 2nd episode of Season 14 but that Thundergun 4 Maximum Cool episode was one of my favourite of the entire run.

Actually some of the best ones are where the gang try to interact with functioning members of society.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Because the target audience is like late teen and young 20yr olds.

It's not exactly high end comedy.

Doesn't mean it's bad. Adam Sandler doesn't win many awards either anymore, but his shit still makes money.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
It and Bojack Horseman both have been snubbed so bad when it comes to awards. Both are masterpieces and yet pretty much no recognition.

I don't take the Emmys seriously at all

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Do you really have to ask? just see what comedies were the ones winning the awards, Modern Family and Big Bang Theory, like do we really need to guess?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Completely disagree. In some ways it's better.

"You May ask, 'would a woman really text that dennis?' Their phone did."

Oh man, I disagree with this pretty hard. I would say 12-14 have more misses than usual, but 8-11 have plenty of all timers. 13 is clearly the weakest of the show aside from a few classics.

One of my all time favorite Dennis scenes.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Have you seen a episode of Always Sunny?

Comparing Sandler with Always Sunny. What?

The writing and humor level are infinitely closer to Sandler than say.. Frasier ( a show I do not enjoy, but is just better written/wittier)

Remember when Mac got fat? And 90% of the jokes were about him being a fat person?
Remember when Charlie tricked Mac into looking into his asshole for a map and then farted in his face?

It's very low end humor. It doesn't mean it can't be funny, but it doesn't win awards. My argument is not that Always Sunny isn't funny. It is that Always Sunny doesn't deserve the recognition OP is calling for in regards to awards/nominations, despite the fact that it is indeed funny.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
The writing and humor level are infinitely closer to Sandler than say.. Frasier ( a show I do not enjoy, but is just better written/wittier)

Remember when Mac got fat? And 90% of the jokes were about him being a fat person?
Remember when Charlie tricked Mac into looking into his asshole for a map and then farted in his face?

It's very low end humor. It doesn't mean it can't be funny, but it doesn't win awards. My argument is not that Always Sunny isn't funny. It is that Always Sunny doesn't deserve the recognition OP is calling for in regards to awards/nominations, despite the fact that it is indeed funny.

I feel like this is so reductionist about why Always Sunny is funny. It's about the way it's acted, the group dynamic, the context of the episode, all coming together to make for something ludicrous yet relatable and just so funny. To call it low end humor is really unfairly dismissive.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I feel like this is so reductionist about why Always Sunny is funny. It's about the way it's acted, the group dynamic, the context of the episode, all coming together to make for something ludicrous yet relatable and just so funny. To call it low end humor is really unfairly dismissive.

Can agree to disagree then? The cast is fantastic, and helps lift the show up (Like seriously great cast). I would again dispute any claim that it's award winning level of comedy, particularly from a writing standpoint.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant acting and writing.

I got an idea for a stimulus plan for the bar that's gonna blow your freakin' mind. Stimulus plan? A stimulus plan. You want to hear it? Lay it on me, bro. Take a look around you right now. Now, at a time where businesses are simply failing left and right, who's thriving? Dave & Buster's. Dave & Buster's is thriving. Why do you think that is? I don't know. Video games? Video games are definitely a big part of it. I want you to do me a favor. Break down for me what I'm holding in my hand right now. Ah, that is a Dave & Buster's Power Card. Yes. Now, does your Dave & Buster's card work at any other similar establishments? Like, say, a T.G.I. Fridays? Mine does not, and believe me, I've tried at several locations. No, it doesn't. Yeah, 'cause I've actually been with you on many of those occasions where you've tried. Right. I don't think I've tried it enough. I think you have. Because clearly, at this point, you should've realized that it doesn't work anywhere else. There's one in Franklin Mills I haven't tried. I feel like that could maybe work. It's not gonna work there either. Let's move past that. I'm trying to make a point here. When you come to Dave & Buster's you spend your real money, but you leave with Dave & Buster's money. That gives you incentive to come back to Dave & Buster's... 'cause it's the only place where your money works. I think that's brilliant. Maybe we should take a page out of D&B's book. And try the card at the Friday's out in the northeast... No, you son of a bitch. We're way past that at this point. I don't understand why you can't grasp that point. It doesn't work anywhere else. It's only gonna work here. All right. I'm- I'm getting all worked up. Okay? This is- Let's... I'm proposing that we print our own currency, okay? Make our own money? Yes! We call it Paddy's Dollars. Now we distribute that out to people for free initially. Then they become customers, and then they bring in new customers. And then once they're in, they have to use real dollars to buy Paddy's Dollars. That's exactly right, and that stimulates our own internal economy. Yeah, yeah, dude! That's a great plan! Then afterwards, we'll go out to Fox Chase... and use the Power Card at that Friday's out there. Yeah, yeah, yeah! No, we won't. You can though.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Can agree to disagree then? The cast is fantastic, and helps lift the show up (Like seriously great cast). I would again dispute any claim that it's award winning level of comedy, particularly from a writing standpoint.
I'm gonna jump in to disagree with you though. I think it's fine to say it's lowbrow, cause it certainly is at times. But saying it's not "award winning" from a writing standpoint is absurd. Especially considering the standards for awards (emmys) is hilariously low.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
I'm gonna jump in to disagree with you though. I think it's fine to say it's lowbrow, cause it certainly is at times. But saying it's not "award winning" from a writing standpoint is absurd. Especially considering the standards for awards (emmys) is hilariously low.

Well we can disagree.
Maybe my PoV can be used as a glimpse into the mindset of the people who actually vote/nominate etc? Because it isn't winning any awards for comedy/comedy writing.

I would also argue that if you switched the cast, the show would not have made it very far. The cast and their chemistry makes the show, imo. It's not the writing/comedy.