• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Originally, this excerpt from Vulture's release of a few songs from the Hadestown Broadway Cast Recording sort of implied a delay that was later confirmed by Anaïs Mitchell herself (see above).
Hadestown will release a collection of songs from its Broadway cast recording to the public on June 7, and then continue to release music in batches afterward.
No word on when the full album will be released now, but we'll at least get the songs in batches on Vulture until the full album is out on iTunes/Amazon/etc. in the near future. Here's a link to the song previews in case you're curious (they're the full songs, just not the full album right now).
  • Available for Listening Now
    • Way Down Hadestown
    • Wait for Me (Intro)
    • Wait for Me
    • Our Lady Of the Underground
  • Will Be Available for Listening on June 7th
    • Livin' It Up
    • All I've Ever Known
    • When The Chips Are Down ("Songbird vs. rattlesnake…") [Intro]
    • Hey Little Songbird
    • When the Chips are Down
    • Gone, I'm Gone
    • Why We Build the Wall
    • Why We Build the Wall ("Behind closed doors…") [Outro]
    • Road to Hell (Reprise)
  • Will Be Available for Listening on June 28th
    • Papers (Intro)
    • Papers (Instrumental)
    • How Long?
    • Chant (Reprise)
    • His Kiss, the Riot
    • We Raise our Cups
  • Will Be Available for Listening on July 12nd
    • Road to Hell
    • A Gathering Storm
    • Chant
    • Way Down Hadestown (Reprise)
    • Nothing Changes
    • Word to the Wise
    • Wait for Me ("If you wanna walk out of hell...") [Intro] [Reprise]
    • Wait for Me (Reprise)
  • Will Be Available for Listening on July 26th (The full album will be available for purchase/streaming by this point)
    • Any Way the Wind Blows
    • Come Home with Me
    • Wedding Song
    • Epic I
    • All I've Ever Known ("In spite of herself...") [Intro]
    • All I've Ever Known
    • Epic II
    • Come Home with Me (Reprise)
    • If it's True
    • Epic III
    • Epic III (Intro) [Instrumental]
    • Promises
    • Doubt Comes In
If you want to pre-order the album on iTunes now, you can. Though keep in mind, it's gonna set you back $20 (the final album is gonna be pretty lengthy, with 40 songs that span over 2 hours).

Sources: Vulture, Anaïs Mitchell (Twitter), Hadestown (Twitter) [See Threadmark]

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard the first track (Way Down, Hadestown) on SiriusXM's On Broadway and the male singer had a tremendous, bellowing voice. Then this morning they played a new version of that same track with a completely different singer and it lost all power.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, but the Off-Broadway recording is still fantastic (as is Anaïs Mitchell's original concept album).

The entire album will be out by July 26th, pre-orders now available
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
iTunes now lists Hadestown as an expected July 26th release. The last known batch of songs will be released around the 28th, so I'd imagine that it'll be that week.

With that said, pre-orders are now up on iTunes. The released songs are also available for purchase.

UPDATE: The official Twitter account for Hadestown officially confirmed the last batch of songs being released on July 26th.

Last edited:

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the big showstopper number in this one? Those tend to be my favorite songs in musicals.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just listened through this for the first time with the original cast, and this musical is really excellent. Some excellent folk and the characters are great. Excited to hear the broadway cast!

So what's the big showstopper number in this one? Those tend to be my favorite songs in musicals.

I would say the showstopper song is 100% Epic III. The whole context here is that Orpheus and Euridice are in love, she goes to Hadestown to seek a better life but gets trapped, and Orpheus goes to find her. Hades rules Hadestown and plans to kill Orpheus for intruding but lets him play a song because he's known as a great musician. This is the song Orpheus plays. It's a big deal given the original Greek myth because this is supposed to be a song so beautiful it convinces the god of the dead to let someone go, which he never does. They do a really great job of nailing it here, as Orpheus appeals to Hades' own humanity reflecting on his own marriage and how happy he himself was at one point.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Just found this musical and listened to most of the soundtrack; best thing that's reached Broadway in years. Hope it makes it overseas at some point so I can see it onstage, or lasts on Broadway until early next year when I can go back to visit NYC.

I would say the showstopper song is 100% Epic III.

That is definitely one of them but I think they really pull out all the stops with Wait for Me II.

(spoilers for those who haven't seen the show/know the myth)

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The following songs are now available for listening/purchase.
  • Papers (Intro)
  • Papers (Instrumental)
  • How Long?
  • Chant (Reprise)
  • His Kiss, the Riot
  • We Raise our Cups

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The following songs are now available for listening/purchase.
  • Road to Hell
  • A Gathering Storm
  • Chant
  • Way Down Hadestown (Reprise)
  • Nothing Changes
  • Word to the Wise
  • Wait for Me ("If you wanna walk out of hell...") [Intro] [Reprise]
  • Wait for Me (Reprise)

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The following songs are now available for listening/purchase, thus completing the Hadestown Broadway Cast Recording album.
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • Come Home with Me
  • Wedding Song
  • Epic I
  • All I've Ever Known ("In spite of herself...") [Intro]
  • All I've Ever Known
  • Epic II
  • Come Home with Me (Reprise)
  • If it's True
  • Epic III
  • Epic III (Intro) [Instrumental]
  • Promises
  • Doubt Comes In

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So what's the deal with this? I just heard the album a little based on this thread and it sounds great.

Do I need to take my wife up to midtown and watch? Is it gonna be Hamilton hard to cop?

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ain't too bad for a bump, right?

Finally listened to this last week and it's been constantly in the rotation since. Really like the changes they did on this story.

Hades having the same issue in the beginning of the story that is the ultimate downfall of the hero, and having the villain learn from the hero's mistakes is a nice change of pace. I assume he learned, as he's willing to and the seasons are correct now.

Having 2 songs to explain to the audience what a tragedy is is bothering hilarious and sad to me though

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a double post if its been a month?

This now rivals Dear Evan Hansen for me, which got me into stage musicals as a medium. I've been basically listening to it on the regular.

Edit: There's a joke about necro bumping a musical about hell somewhere here.