• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters
Dec 1, 2017
I just saw this on sale. Somehow I had no idea this even existed until today...and I love all of Supergiant's previous games. Sort of in shock really.

Sounds like this one is pretty good? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Check it out on YouTube to see if the combat would be your style. It's definitely one of their best games, and it's so generous with stuff to do and see!
High Priority Tasks: These are the big-ticket items we have to take care of before we can exit Early Access for our v1.0 Launch:
  • Game Ending: Though we wish to keep the details a secret, we're continuing to work on content for the game's true ending.
  • Polishing & Content Completion: We have some other additional content pieces in the works, plus final fixes and improvements.
  • Multiplatform Development: Each platform we support requires special care and attention, both in features and optimizations.
  • Localization: We're working with professional and community translators to ensure the game is fully translated for our v1.0 Launch.
There is no ending cutscene yet, but there is a final boss.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
God damn I swear I am never going to get the events I need for the Sisyphus quest to actually finish and let me buy the thing from the contractor. I'm at like 35 wins now and spoke to Nyx about it ages ago but can't get the rest of the dialogues.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm still waiting for that to happen, too. I just got Orpheus to reunite with Euridice yesterday.

BTW, do you need to give Bouldy nectar or is that entirely a waste? :D

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. At this point I have more nectar than I need to max whoever is left (how do I unlock Cerberus?? D:) most of the time and the idea of giving a boulder food is just too amusing lol

Would probably be finished with most stuff if PSO2 wasn't eating my time orz

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat heat 17, and had the dumbest blessing synergy that I didn't know was possible
CoTefPO.png

First perk was normal festive fog, then second perk was the harvest perk from Demeter (Reset two of your blessings to normal rarity, then increase the rarity of those blessings every 3 encounters). Seemed like a waste, but the instant damage from Festive Fog one-shotting everything except the fat enemies in Asphodel, so it was alright. Then, got all the Duo perks listed above, meaning the cast was instant, dealt constant lightning and chill damage to everything inside, stunned every 0.5 seconds, applied Jolted (which never expires), and a burst of chill damage around me whenever I cast from another Demester perk. Hades never stood a chance!
Sometimes runs in this game feel kind of bad and demoralizing if a synergy never really comes together, but stuff like this is so fun when it comes together

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can some explain to me the point of upgrading the rarity of a boon as opposed to the level? The benefits seem the same or similar enough.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Can some explain to me the point of upgrading the rarity of a boon as opposed to the level? The benefits seem the same or similar enough.

In my experience rarity seems to be far more important than level. Specifically, level bonuses, themselves, scale with rarity, so +1 level on a common boon will be a lot less than +1 level on a heroic boon. To top it off, level increases suffer heavily from diminishing returns.

The choice between upgrading a common, zero level boon's rarity to rare, or its level to 1, may be similar; but the higher both rarity and level are, the more dramatic the difference between upgrading each becomes. Once you get the contractor's upgrade that gives a random boon +1 level each time you get a Nectar, boon rarity becomes much more important.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the scaling is different for each rarity, and the difference is big. The difference between levels actually varies quite a lot for boon, and a lot get diminishing returns pretty fast.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience rarity seems to be far more important than level. Specifically, level bonuses, themselves, scale with rarity, so +1 level on a common boon will be a lot less than +1 level on a heroic boon. To top it off, level increases suffer heavily from diminishing returns.

The choice between upgrading a common, zero level boon's rarity to rare, or its level to 1, may be similar; but the higher both rarity and level are, the more dramatic the difference between upgrading each becomes. Once you get the contractor's upgrade that gives a random boon +1 level each time you get a Nectar, boon rarity becomes much more important.
Hmm I figured it was something like that but it just doesn't feel worth it, additional I was mostly thinking about this in terms or eurydice's gift.

I had another thing to say but I just forgot

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I was gonna say, hell mode kinda sucks since the first 5 heats and all their rewards are skipped, so it just makes the grind longer

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hmm I figured it was something like that but it just doesn't feel worth it, additional I was mostly thinking about this in terms or eurydice's gift.

I always pick Refreshing Nectar from Euridice. Let alone three rarity upgrades are better than two, or that four levels, the other two aren't even guaranteed (they're "up to 2 boons / up to 4 boons"), while Refreshing Nectar guarantees it will upgrade the rarity of your next three boons.

What's this game like? Saw some footage on Steam, kinda reminded me of Diablo.

It's very, very different from Diablo. A closer simile would be something like Binding of Isaac or Enter the Gungeon, with a much bigger focus on melee. There's probably games that are better examples but I can't think of one right now.

Oct 25, 2017
+8% from Thirst to Kill + privileged status (weak+doom+freeze) + backstab
unknown.png

I was melting HP bars. Poor Lernie had no escape.
Chiron Bow <3
the crit chance barely made a difference since I got it very late (two rooms before the final boss), should've rerolled it to try and get Support Fire for maximum cheese
I also had +15% damage after using up a Defiance but didn't need it

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I always pick Refreshing Nectar from Euridice. Let alone three rarity upgrades are better than two, or that four levels, the other two aren't even guaranteed (they're "up to 2 boons / up to 4 boons"), while Refreshing Nectar guarantees it will upgrade the rarity of your next three boons.
I believe "up to" in that context refers to the possibility that the player has fewer than the amount of boons specified. I have never seen Ambrosia Delight upgrade fewer than 2 boons.

I usually go for Ambrosia Delight—the one that upgrades the rarity of two boons you already have. By the time I'm in Asphodel, I generally (A) have the most important boons for my build, and am trying to amp their damage, and (B) am gunning for Legendaries/Duos with future boons, which totally waste the next-3-are-upgraded-rarity option. I think the Pom upgrade for four is pretty good if you have a lot of unpommed boons that are relevant to your build (pretty rare in Asphodel, I think), and the next-3-are-upgraded one is good if you are still hunting for a core piece of your build.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe "up to" in that context refers to the possibility that the player has fewer than the amount of boons specified. I have never seen Ambrosia Delight upgrade fewer than 2 boons.

I usually go for Ambrosia Delight—the one that upgrades the rarity of two boons you already have. By the time I'm in Asphodel, I generally (A) have the most important boons for my build, and am trying to amp their damage, and (B) am gunning for Legendaries/Duos with future boons, which totally waste the next-3-are-upgraded-rarity option. I think the Pom upgrade for four is pretty good if you have a lot of unpommed boons that are relevant to your build (pretty rare in Asphodel, I think), and the next-3-are-upgraded one is good if you are still hunting for a core piece of your build.
Yea, I agree with this and I usually go for the 4 levels. The most immediate power boost

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Ah, that may be so. I remember picking the one that gives you four +1 levels and it upgrading less than 4 boons, but perhaps it was because I had less than 4 boons.

Has anyone tried a Sisyphus run, using the Shackle? 🤔

I actualy use the shackle as my Tartarus relic now, then switch to the coin purse in Asphodel.

I feel like I'm missing something, though. What exactly is a "Sisyphus run"? Forgoing all attack, special and cast boons and keeping the shackles all the way through?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been thinking about going no attack/special boons. Not sure if passives like that raise their damage without being a specific boon stacks with Shackle or not (Urge to Kill, Battle Frenzy, Blood Frenzy, Pressure Points, Support Fire, Billowing Strenght). Thought of trying to stack Ares and maybe Zeus stuff (Lightning Reflexes is always cool) like that with a CC Call (Demeter) or Cast (Dionysius) for funsies.

Between Call, Dash and Cast (if not Dionysius') I can get Privileged Status anyway.

What I am not sure about is which weapon to go with this. Excalibur might make sense, with the natural CC from the special aura and the big base damage of the swings 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if passives like that raise their damage without being a specific boon stacks with Shackle or not (Urge to Kill, Battle Frenzy, Blood Frenzy, Pressure Points, Support Fire, Billowing Strenght)
According to the Discord that totally works 👀
It only checks the attack/special/cast slots, not other slots that might affect those actions
hell yeah

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excalibur feels so good to swing around

Also Cold Fusion is a top tier duo

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Lucifer has like 5 unique modifiers. Do all the unique aspects have that much?

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
3 upgraded boons means its just the next 3 skills in the 1 god selection (not next 3 god selections). ariadne from chiron works the same way - just 1 random boon in 3-selection will be better rarity.
so if you RNG'ed into a boon of a god you dont really want, you just got a rare or an epic of something that is useless to you.
its not really a good deal compared to rarity improval of what you already have or indeed +1 level to 4 of them if you got lucky in tartarus to have that many

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
3 upgraded boons means its just the next 3 skills in the 1 god selection (not next 3 god selections). ariadne from chiron works the same way - just 1 random boon in 3-selection will be better rarity.

Um, are you 100% sure about that? That seems like a terrible deal. I want to think I would have noticed getting common boons less than three choices after picking that, but I'm far too forgetful to be sure. :D

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
it becomes obvious when you pick ariadne thingie, 1 random boon in the selection will have another rarity

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
it becomes obvious when you pick ariadne thingie, 1 random boon in the selection will have another rarity

But that's not how it works at all. Boons can always have different rarities because each boon's rarity is rolled separately. How I interpret Ariadne and Euridice working is that, after their individual rarities have been rolled, each boon has their rarity improved by one tier.

The easiest way to check this would be to start a game without any of the rarity-improving mirror upgrades (the ideal way would be to use the Heat modifier that disables mirror upgrades from the bottom), then getting Ariadne's and checking if any of the three boons in the next selection is Common. If they are, then you were right. If all of them are consistently rare, it's almost certain it was the other way around.

A particular argument for "Ariadne improves all three boons in a selection, and Eurydice improves three sets of boons" is that the rarity upgrade is used up after you get the boon; you simply see all three as upgraded because Hades already rolls up expected upgrades into the prizes it displays. For example, when getting Demeter's Nourished Soul, it says "All health effects are more potent. Restore X now": the X already has the percentage increase from the boon itself rolled into the number it displays, even though at that point you haven't selected the boon yet.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
i should clarify, when i tried ariadne i got 2 commons and a rare.
when i tried euridyce nectar i got 3 rares and then commons again.

that was long time ago, pre "night" update. but i dont think things have changed. if boons are upgraded on pickup i'd be glad to be wrong but i think i would've noticed that. not sure, never picked those things again ever since

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
i should clarify, when i tried ariadne i got 2 commons and a rare.
when i tried euridyce nectar i got 3 rares and then commons again.

that was long time ago, pre "night" update. but i dont think things have changed. if boons are upgraded on pickup i'd be glad to be wrong but i think i would've noticed that. not sure, never picked those things again ever since

It may have been a bug, hopefully fixed. I'll give it a try myself but it feels to me like both the Yarn and especially Euridice's boon would be ridiculously underpowered if they worked that way. Probably best to make sure to avoid them in the future!

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, the Charon RNG hates me. 2 chances out of ~20 runs. And of course it's right in the middle of Tartarus when I have no HP and no damage yet.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to do heat 32 with Excalibur, not doing well... kinda. I like Aphrodite will be key, I think she has the most beneficial boons in general especially her legendary.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to trying out the fists. Felt very strong with the Zeus attack upgrade, but then I started running into stuff I couldn't just stunlock to death and that was that. Didn't help that I got 2 Daedalus hammers and neither really did much for basic attacks, which definitely feel like the strongest part of the weapon.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to trying out the fists. Felt very strong with the Zeus attack upgrade, but then I started running into stuff I couldn't just stunlock to death and that was that. Didn't help that I got 2 Daedalus hammers and neither really did much for basic attacks, which definitely feel like the strongest part of the weapon.
If that's how you want to roll, besides something to break armor (and the aspects + boon help a lot with that), you are going to need Rolling Knuckle from the hammers.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
YEAHHHH I BEAT 32 HEAT! I'm finally free! There is no escape

As always, I tried to clear it with the Chaos Shield and a Zeus or Poseidon focused loadout. For my winning run, I didn't even get a Call, but lucked out by getting Cold Fusion in Styx.

It took a lot of experimenting with the pacts until I found one combination that was manageable. Lower heats are laughably easy in comparison now.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEAHHHH I BEAT 32 HEAT! I'm finally free! There is no escape

As always, I tried to clear it with the Chaos Shield and a Zeus or Poseidon focused loadout. For my winning run, I didn't even get a Call, but lucked out by getting Cold Fusion in Styx.

It took a lot of experimenting with the pacts until I found one combination that was manageable. Lower heats are laughably easy in comparison now.
Damn, jelly. Was trying to do it last weekend with Excalibur but it was rough. Does Skelly give an additional reward aside from the statue?

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, jelly. Was trying to do it last weekend with Excalibur but it was rough. Does Skelly give an additional reward aside from the statue?
No, just the statue.

Somehow I stopped getting bounties from my shield too, so the entire run was really just for bragging rights. At least Zagreus gets to admire the trio of statues afterwards.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, just the statue.

Somehow I stopped getting bounties from my shield too, so the entire run was really just for bragging rights. At least Zagreus gets to admire the trio of statues afterwards.
weird. On my previous save I got up to level 20 heat with the shield but stopped receiving bounties after that heat but with Excalibur this time around the bounties came up.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hades is a spectacular game. This might be the best action game I've played since Bloodborne. The combat is just tremendous and the way you can feel it start to slow down, especially in boss battles as you start to learn. It just so good. Going from never thinking I could beat the Elysium boss fight to having beaten the game 12 times now, its just. God damn this is some incredible combat. I had to remap dash and attack to the triggers cause it was messing up my thumb to play, but after that its been smooth sailing. Coming back after like a year and half from when I first bought it in early access its amazing how much the game has progressed and changed. And the characters are so weirdly compelling. I love Dusa and Skelly so much. Pristine voice acting and amazing music. This is gonna be 2020s game of the year. The Charon fight finally clicked too and I understood how to dodge his swipe and that fight just got a lot easier with out needing the triple shot gun special to blast through it in two seconds.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hades is a spectacular game. This might be the best action game I've played since Bloodborne. The combat is just tremendous and the way you can feel it start to slow down, especially in boss battles as you start to learn. It just so good. Going from never thinking I could beat the Elysium boss fight to having beaten the game 12 times now, its just. God damn this is some incredible combat. I had to remap dash and attack to the triggers cause it was messing up my thumb to play, but after that its been smooth sailing. Coming back after like a year and half from when I first bought it in early access its amazing how much the game has progressed and changed. And the characters are so weirdly compelling. I love Dusa and Skelly so much. Pristine voice acting and amazing music. This is gonna be 2020s game of the year. The Charon fight finally clicked too and I understood how to dodge his swipe and that fight just got a lot easier with out needing the triple shot gun special to blast through it in two seconds.

Preach.

I still can't beat Extreme Measures Elysium but also didn't really try since like 5 months ago or something

I actually didn't find it significantly harder than the regular version, and still quite easier than ol' Hades. As always, I focus on Asterius first; in this case dodging Theseus around the arena in a wide circle, so that he's never too close. Asterius' main change is that his jump pound creates three shockwaves, but if you're used to dodging this by being close and dashing towards him (which is safer even with the regular version, and as a bonus lets you backstab him), they're pretty much irrelevant. Once Asterius is done, I'd say than Theseus is actually easier on his chariot, and his second phase is pretty much identical to normal (or at least I don't remember any changes).

Edit: I forgot about Asterious' spin attack, yeah that can be nasty if you're forced to dodge it into the path of Theseus. Also, I've only been playing the game for a few months, so it's possible they toned down the Extreme Measures version of the fight since you played.

Last edited:

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
While I don't have a PC to play this game yet I've had Good Riddance (with vocals) on my latest playlist and ughhhhh its so good. One day I'll finally play this.