• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
Finally beat EM4 with the gun, with Aspect of Eris and a shitton of poms on Zeus-powered attack. Now my only goals left is heat 16 and maybe max levelling all the keepsakes, in order to earn all the achievements.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Did my first escape on my 23rd run!
QX7RCsG.jpg

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Admittedly, I was playing it in God mode, but I finally beat a 32 heat run. Took me three tries. First time I bit it at Elisyum fighting Theseus and Asterius. Second time RNGesus screwed me over and I ran out of time during the Hades fight because I literally had to go through all 5 styx chambers.

Finally beat Hades on the third go around using a Crit Aspect of Chiron build. I was original going to do a Chiron-Sea Storm build but then I happened to run into both Artemis and Aphrodite in the first chamber and went fuck it. lol

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Congrats both. Getting that first clear and then 32 heat way way later is an amazing feeling.

I still do at least a run a day, why can't I stop? Please let me stop? Today I did a merciful end run with the fists and some nice support boons and dear lord Hades just MELTS.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
I think I've confirmed that Stygius with special attack forcing crystal drop plus Artemis epic level damage on drop is the most OP in the game. Add in special damage upgrades and additional crystals from chaos boosts...holy crap.

I think I have done a few runs on 10+ heat where Hades goes down in about a minute. Maybe even less if you subtract his stalled animations. I find the bow overall the most broken with boosts but this build crushes.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The fastest I took down Hades was with a Eris rail that had Rocket Bomb and Cluster Bomb and a pumped special attack. I just stood in his face and shot over and over and he transitioned though the phases one after the other, seemed like he never even moved.

Never got that combo again.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
lool yeah Pat the run saver.

I was playing unba bunga style with the sword a few days ago without divine dash and had 0 DD's. Got em back from Pat and managed to finish the run anyway

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I haven't played this in quite a while and decided to pick it back up again, finally made it to Hades! Didn't beat him but I know I can.

God mode is so nice for folks like me who just aren't used to these types of games.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Feel the game starts to drag at 10-15 heat give or take. Less of a challenge and a more truer grind starts. I wish there was further end game content at high heat but I'm just wishing for more at this point.

Might hang it up even if I'm still getting through runs fine. More fun gaming out there. But up to 10-15 is still very solid. Good job overall still having goals and gains that far past simple completion.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm still doing a run or two a day and my best heat is 16 so far.
I wondered what the highest damage I could do I with one hit was and so did a bow run with crit boons, my best was hitting 14XX damage with one arrow on Hades (couldn't see exactly what in the panic of dodging ha)
I was regularly hitting 1312 with a combination of crit boons that increased crit damage, hammer boon to increase damage when close range, marked crit, poms on attack, chaos on attack.
Anyone hit higher and how?

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Patroclus (sp?) has saved a run or two, but I find that my runs usually go to shit starting at the Elysium boss so it hasn't felt super helpful to me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yo what the fuck

Lies, must be cheating or something

but also yes, Zeus shield with zeus special is nasty and really good

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to wait for the physical version to buy this game and holy fuck.

This is like, the first roguelite i'm actually into.

The subtle progression systems, the balance between randomization and choice within each run, the style, the tight gameplay.
Stayed up until 1:30 am yesterday #oneMoreRun.

Right now, i still feel most confident about the bow - had a pretty fun combo of upgrades, like my strafe shot (the "SPECIAL") piercing enemies and applying a pretty nasty DOOM effect on them. Basically, the most cowardly playstyle, but quite effective. Made it to the Hydra for the first time, killed it, and actually encountered Theseus and the Minotaur in that very same run.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been glued to this since it came out physically. It's as fantastic as everyone said.

I cleared the game for the third time today with the rail.

EyEEEgIVcAME4Ea

I always seem to falter at the final boss with the close quarter weapons, but I can stroll through it using the ranged ones. Guess I just need to get better at anticipating the attacks.

I'm hoping to roll credits and 'end' the main narrative but I read it takes ten clears which seems quite a few.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been glued to this since it came out physically. It's as fantastic as everyone said.

I cleared the game for the third time today with the rail.

EyEEEgIVcAME4Ea

I always seem to falter at the final boss with the close quarter weapons, but I can stroll through it using the ranged ones. Guess I just need to get better at anticipating the attacks.

I'm hoping to roll credits and 'end' the main narrative but I read it takes ten clears which seems quite a few.
Yeah the fists and sword make you much more vulnerable. Top tip with that is aim for hermes extra dash (and use the mirror to get 2) you can potentially have 5 dashes then to get away from him

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah the fists and sword make you much more vulnerable. Top tip with that is aim for hermes extra dash (and use the mirror to get 2) you can potentially have 5 dashes then to get away from him
Thanks for the tip. I got annoyingly close with the fists yesterday, but died when he had a small chunk of health left. I found the ranged special pretty effective as I could stay further away.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I literally just started playing this today for the very first time.
Historically me and rogues anything have not jived very well, but I picked it up on sale a week or two ago on the Switch, and finally got around to checking it out (aka work was a little slow waiting for some feedback).

I actually find myself already really digging it. Have played about 90 minutes and died 3 times and the one time I was dumb and too aggressive. I have a ton of questions, especially since I do not play rogues at all, but I will limit it to the single question below for now as I am really trying to figure it out on my own and when I say I have somehow managed to go in pretty much blind despite it being GOTY on numerous lists last years, I am not kidding. I really know next to nothing about it other than it is very highly regarded.

Finally my question...
I have gotten the "book," not sure what the technical term for it is right now, that comes up when you press L. Am I missing something obvious, but is there somewhere within it that tells you what the icons mean on the doors you need to choose? Or is it up to me to eventually figure out what each one means?

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. I literally just started playing this today for the very first time.
Historically me and rogues anything have not jived very well, but I picked it up on sale a week or two ago on the Switch, and finally got around to checking it out (aka work was a little slow waiting for some feedback).

I actually find myself already really digging it. Have played about 90 minutes and died 3 times and the one time I was dumb and too aggressive. I have a ton of questions, especially since I do not play rogues at all, but I will limit it to the single question below for now as I am really trying to figure it out on my own and when I say I have somehow managed to go in pretty much blind despite it being GOTY on numerous lists last years, I am not kidding. I really know next to nothing about it other than it is very highly regarded.

Finally my question...
I have gotten the "book," not sure what the technical term for it is right now, that comes up when you press L. Am I missing something obvious, but is there somewhere within it that tells you what the icons mean on the doors you need to choose? Or is it up to me to eventually figure out what each one means?

Are you asking how to learn which the different door icons mean? (like during a run, heart vs. money vs. whatever else)

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Are you asking how to learn which the different door icons mean? (like during a run, heart vs. money vs. whatever else)
Yep. Exactly. Like is it listed somewhere in the book you can access pressing L??
Or is it just a matter of either figuring it out or referring to a guide? Would like to avoid the latter as trying to play it as blind as possible, but I do feel like knowing what each different door icon means is pretty damn important to having good runs.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yep. Exactly. Like is it listed somewhere in the book you can access pressing L??
Or is it just a matter of either figuring it out or referring to a guide? Would like to avoid the latter as trying to play it as blind as possible, but I do feel like knowing what each different door icon means is pretty damn important to having good runs.
You just figure it out eventually, it's pretty self explanatory.

Gems = gems
Coin = money
Heart = increase life
black drop = darkness
pomegranate = upgrade a boon
hammer = upgrade weapon
God symbol = specific to a god
etc

The book is helpful for checking out what boons each god provides (and combos)

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You just figure it out eventually, it's pretty self explanatory.

Gems = gems
Coin = money
Heart = increase life
black drop = darkness
pomegranate = upgrade a boon
hammer = upgrade weapon
God symbol = specific to a god
etc

The book is helpful for checking out what boons each god provides (and combos)
Okay cool. Thank you. I did get the first 3 as they are obvious, but I currently have zero idea what darkness would even do. Do think I know what a boon is. I hope to found out all of it soon though. I also think maybe I should be wearing my reading glasses as even though I have yet to wear them playing any game on the switch, it may help as everything is pretty small on this game. At least to my aging eyes.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Okay cool. Thank you. I did get the first 3 as they are obvious, but I currently have zero idea what darkness would even do. Do think I know what a boon is. I hope to found out all of it soon though. I also think maybe I should be wearing my reading glasses as even though I have yet to wear them playing any game on the switch, it may help as everything is pretty small on this game. At least to my aging eyes.
You use darkness for upgrading stuff at the mirror and boons are the abilities you choose from each god

It'll all come together boyo, just keep at it

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Darkness is currency you keep after you die, to unlock permanent upgrades. It's different to gold, which you have to spend on your current run because it resets to zero when you die.

Try to get keys during these early attempts. Keys are (almost) completely useless during an attempt, but they unlock cool stuff back home.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
You use darkness for upgrading stuff at the mirror and boons are the abilities you choose from each god

It'll all come together boyo, just keep at it
Darkness is currency you keep after you die, to unlock permanent upgrades. It's different to gold, which you have to spend on your current run because it resets to zero when you die.
Awesome. Thank you both.
I have to say I am really digging it so far, and it is not that I have not tried other rogues before, I have. None just ever clicked. This already has.
And I am imagining without checking darkness is the purple coins, but will figure it out.

Thanks again. Definitely going to sneak a run or two in before going to bed.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, just scooped this off the Switch store a few days ago. Really enjoying the combat, world and dialogue quite a bit.

At this point I've put <10 hours in and think I just came close to completing a run (
fight with hades just past Cerberus
). Apologies for the potentially basic or overasked question, but what should I keep playing this for? I know that if I get my affinity up with all the gods I can get an epilogue, and I don't even have all the weapons yet so that's an obvious next step; anything else?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hey guys, just scooped this off the Switch store a few days ago. Really enjoying the combat, world and dialogue quite a bit.

At this point I've put <10 hours in and think I just came close to completing a run (
fight with hades just past Cerberus
). Apologies for the potentially basic or overasked question, but what should I keep playing this for? I know that if I get my affinity up with all the gods I can get an epilogue, and I don't even have all the weapons yet so that's an obvious next step; anything else?
The story. As you've seen, failed runs advance the story with all the characters you meet. Successful runs also do that.

You've pretty much seen all there is to see in the world, but there are lots of ways to fight through it. So if you're into the story, and you enjoy the fighting, you're a long, long way from finished.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
The story. As you've seen, failed runs advance the story with all the characters you meet. Successful runs also do that.

You've pretty much seen all there is to see in the world, but there are lots of ways to fight through it. So if you're into the story, and you enjoy the fighting, you're a long, long way from finished.

got it. Is there a definable point at which the story is "done"? Will that be obvious?

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
I think most of the fun comes from exploring the different weapons and the synergies that can happen with boons.
The story was pretty disappointing for me.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
how diff is the gameplay I mean, I know the genre is different
Well, very different. Transistor was turn based, this is real time hack and slash with 6 different weapons (that each have 4 different forms) and lots of skills and abilities to play around with. It may take some time to figure out which God's abilities fit each weapon or build but that's part of the fun in this game.

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't know where else to put this.

This is Zagreus, Zag for short.
7f1f8269-0003-4a68-bzzkdh.jpeg

We were trying to come up with a name and reading up about the breed - apparently their ancestors originated in Ancient Greece and the breed's notorious for escaping, so we had to go with Zag.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got into this, and while its addicting, I'm pretty bad at it haha. I've beaten the first "boss" twice, but otherwise I'm getting rekt.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Didn't know where else to put this.

This is Zagreus, Zag for short.
7f1f8269-0003-4a68-bzzkdh.jpeg

We were trying to come up with a name and reading up about the breed - apparently their ancestors originated in Ancient Greece and the breed's notorious for escaping, so we had to go with Zag.
Too cute! You should wrap him in that blanket for the full Zag look.

Just got into this, and while its addicting, I'm pretty bad at it haha. I've beaten the first "boss" twice, but otherwise I'm getting rekt.
That's how it should be. Smashing your face into a horde of enemies and getting a little further each time. But if you feel like you've hit a brick wall, don't be afraid to activate god mode. It doesn't ruin the game.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too cute! You should wrap him in that blanket for the full Zag look.

That's how it should be. Smashing your face into a horde of enemies and getting a little further each time. But if you feel like you've hit a brick wall, don't be afraid to activate god mode. It doesn't ruin the game.

What weapon would you say is most beginner friendly? I've found success with the trident or the shield.