• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, once you have beaten it a few times, it gets easier and easier.

Thank goodness for heats keeping the post game interesting.
I tried two more times with the shield, but then died on Elysium and then to Hades. Put it away for the bow, second clear. Did it ten minutes faster compared to my first run. I had an awesome build where my special just creamed everyone. Got a little cocky at the end though and Hades almost got me. Never count him out.

Im convinced the collar is the best keepsake, though picking the coin purse for Tartarus to get an extra boon or heart can really help out.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I tried two more times with the shield, but then died on Elysium and then to Hades. Put it away for the bow, second clear. Did it ten minutes faster compared to my first run. I had an awesome build where my special just creamed everyone. Got a little cocky at the end though and Hades almost got me. Never count him out.

Im convinced the collar is the best keepsake, though picking the coin purse for Tartarus to get an extra boon or heart can really help out.
All of the god keep sakes to help start your run are the best. The more you can do to corral the game into the build you want and are good at playing the more likely you will win. Finding a build you like for each weapon is the hard part.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
one thing i like about the game is that when you first beat it or are trying to, you want a perfect build because it feels like that is your only chance. they as you get better and more confident you can experiment with different builds, weapons, etc. so it feels like it continues to open up as you gain mastery. then later you just try to fill out the minor prophecies, which forces you to experiment even more.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I beat Hades twice in a row and then did absolutely dreadful, dying to the solo minotaur fight.

The highs and lows of roguelikes

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
one thing i like about the game is that when you first beat it or are trying to, you want a perfect build because it feels like that is your only chance. they as you get better and more confident you can experiment with different builds, weapons, etc. so it feels like it continues to open up as you gain mastery. then later you just try to fill out the minor prophecies, which forces you to experiment even more.
I've been doing the opposite. Instead of aiming to beat the game, from the start I've always picked boons I haven't used yet, in order to complete the prophecies. Always picked the glowing weapon to maximise Darkness gains. Every game has been wildly different and my first clear felt almost accidental. I'm nowhere near figuring out what a perfect build might be, but I know which boons I like and how they might fit together.

I just completed the final set of "basic" boon prophecies, now I'm gonna focus on the duos and legendaries.

I haven't found a use for Ambrosia yet. Is it a gift like Nectar?

I love that they recorded dialogue for every eventuality. I tried the pact that adds extra attacks to the bosses, then turned it off for the next run and Meg thanked me for getting rid of her annoying sisters. And I had the keepsake that gives urns a chance to drop food, and when I grabbed one Zag was like "five-second rule? I think I was fast enough."

I beat Hades twice in a row and then did absolutely dreadful, dying to the solo minotaur fight.

The highs and lows of roguelikes
I always underestimate that dude. He's faster than he looks.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something I'm missing with the gun? My runs fall flat every time I use it because I'm always hurting for damage. It also always seems to run out of ammo at the least opportune moment.

I think my best runs so far have been with weapons that have good range. Usually spear or bow with the fast attack modifier. My first clear was when I struck gold and got both amazing range and damage with the spear.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Is there something I'm missing with the gun? My runs fall flat every time I use it because I'm always hurting for damage. It also always seems to run out of ammo at the least opportune moment.

I think my best runs so far have been with weapons that have good range. Usually spear or bow with the fast attack modifier. My first clear was when I struck gold and got both amazing range and damage with the spear.
I hated it and thought I'd never get anywhere with it, but my first clear was with the gun, after getting the Daedalus upgrade that turns the special into 5x cluster bombs. The triple bomb and rocket are also worthwhile upgrades. Use the special often, upgrade it, and remember you can fire it during reloads.

My other tip for the gun: put reload on the left stick instead of the right.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I hated it and thought I'd never get anywhere with it, but my first clear was with the gun, after getting the Daedalus upgrade that turns the special into 5x cluster bombs. The triple bomb and rocket are also worthwhile upgrades. Use the special often, upgrade it, and remember you can fire it during reloads.

I liked the rockets, but haven't tried the cluster bombs.

I keep hitting R1 to reload because that's where I map it in Enter the Gungeon lol.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I liked the rockets, but haven't tried the cluster bombs.

I keep hitting R1 to reload because that's where I map it in Enter the Gungeon lol.
I find the 5x cluster hard to aim, because you get 5 targeting circles and they spread out the further away you aim. You only control the middle one, and it breaks my brain. So I just spam it without aiming, and often all 5 overlap and do ridiculous damage. I also had Targeting System which buffs the special further and slows down enemies hit by it.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere

The reason why I say this game gets easier and easier is mostly because you start to understand how to manage your build, and which boons to take with subsequent runs. Maxing out your Mirror of Night upgrades will help a lot as well. Especially the number of Death Defiance you have.

Here's my general strategy for a successful run:

I always try to think about how to craft a build that will maximize my DPS (which is good for bosses), plus have a trick up my sleeve to handle crowds, like a good cast. So I'll start by picking a keepsake for whichever boons I'm seeking. If I'm using the bow, I'll typically pick Artemis, for example. Deadly Flourish and Hunter's Mark pair beautifully with Chiron because your special will inflict multiple hits (i.e. chances for critical) on a single target, and then your critical will mark your next target. This is even better if you can pick up Concentrated Volley from the hammer because you're then pretty much guaranteed several criticals per target.

In Asphodel, I'll choose another god, or stick with the one I've got. If I've got any Zeus boons, I might choose his Signet and try to pick up Static Discharge for the Jolted curse. Also, if you've got any status curses on your dash (like Passion Dash, or Drunken Dash), or on your attacks, you can easily mark opponents with the double cursed status (signified by a little X icon next to their health) which will increase your damage output if you've upgraded the Privileged Status attribute in your mirror.

In Elysium, I usually equip the Evergreen Acorn, because out of all the bosses, Theseus and the Bull tend to hit me the most, especially in the beginning when they're still together. Resisting a few of those hits can keep your lives intact for Styx when you'll need them the most.

In Styx, I'll equip the Pom keepsake (you may not have this yet, as it's one of the last you get). The Pom Blossom will level up your boons every few encounters. Each corridor in Styx counts as an encounter, and if you clear every corridor it's like getting 6 or 7 pomegranates for free. But if you don't have this, or if Hades is still a problem, the Evergreen Acorn is a good option because Hades can do a lot of damage with his spin attack, so being able to resist it a few times will save you more life than something like a Lucky Tooth can give you.

Also, I try not to spend any money in Tartarus or Asphodel. If you're playing well you shouldn't need anything from Charon early on. If you've upgraded Golden Touch (green mirror trait), you'll get a bonus percentage of coin for every level you clear based on how much coin is in your pocket. You can easily save enough coin to buy all of Charon's loot in Styx this way. Also, be sure to break any golden pots you see along the way. These can add up, but they're easy to miss, so I always check rooms before I leave. I'll also take Side Hustle if Hermes offers it early on. Stuff like that makes it easier to choose between coin and heart rooms.

Lastly, it's almost always advantageous to drop down into any Chaos portals if you get them early in a level. The negative aspect usually wears off after a few rooms, but you don't want to be gimped for a boss battle, so be cautious taking one towards the end of the level.

The game honestly isn't hard if you make the right choices, but half of the fun is experimenting and discovering what works for yourself. I'm still picking up Duo boons and stuff I haven't seen before, so sometimes I'll just let the build happen naturally and pick up whatever sounds good. Playing that way can be a lot of fun as well.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this game last Wednesday and I've put in 19 hours, 18 runs and 3 clears.
One of the best games this year period. The quality and variety of the writing and voice acting has stunned me the most. Game makes dying the most painless experience for rogue-lites.

O and fuck Theseus, ho ass trick.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Tried playing for the first time, 2 months ago, and for some reason the game didn't stick. I keep hearing all this praise, and I really want to give it another go--any recommendations/advice I should know?

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Theseus is real easy. Every time he retrieves his spear he turns around and shows you his ass. That's when you hit him. It's the Bull that makes things hard. Dashing through him when he attacks (instead of away) works well most of the time and it gets you behind him for backstab bonus. Just gotta keep behind one of those pillars so Theseus' spear doesn't get you.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Theseus himself isn't that dangerous but between the bull and the god boons he's still a PITA.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yeah the more you do the elysium bosses, the easier they are. I find them much much harder with extreme measures because there is just so much shit happening on screen all the time. Without extreme measures, I usually focus on Asterius first, and really just have to pay attention when I see Theseus's reticle on me. But with extreme measures he's just all over the place like a mad man while I'm trying to whittle down Asterius. I usually end up using a death defiance in that situation. So I avoid extreme measures if possible.

acmshar

Nov 26, 2017
The reason why I say this game gets easier and easier is mostly because you start to understand how to manage your build, and which boons to take with subsequent runs. Maxing out your Mirror of Night upgrades will help a lot as well. Especially the number of Death Defiance you have.

Here's my general strategy for a successful run:

I always try to think about how to craft a build that will maximize my DPS (which is good for bosses), plus have a trick up my sleeve to handle crowds, like a good cast. So I'll start by picking a keepsake for whichever boons I'm seeking. If I'm using the bow, I'll typically pick Artemis, for example. Deadly Flourish and Hunter's Mark pair beautifully with Chiron because your special will inflict multiple hits (i.e. chances for critical) on a single target, and then your critical will mark your next target. This is even better if you can pick up Concentrated Volley from the hammer because you're then pretty much guaranteed several criticals per target.

In Asphodel, I'll choose another god, or stick with the one I've got. If I've got any Zeus boons, I might choose his Signet and try to pick up Static Discharge for the Jolted curse. Also, if you've got any status curses on your dash (like Passion Dash, or Drunken Dash), or on your attacks, you can easily mark opponents with the double cursed status (signified by a little X icon next to their health) which will increase your damage output if you've upgraded the Privileged Status attribute in your mirror.

In Elysium, I usually equip the Evergreen Acorn, because out of all the bosses, Theseus and the Bull tend to hit me the most, especially in the beginning when they're still together. Resisting a few of those hits can keep your lives intact for Styx when you'll need them the most.

In Styx, I'll equip the Pom keepsake (you may not have this yet, as it's one of the last you get). The Pom Blossom will level up your boons every few encounters. Each corridor in Styx counts as an encounter, and if you clear every corridor it's like getting 6 or 7 pomegranates for free. But if you don't have this, or if Hades is still a problem, the Evergreen Acorn is a good option because Hades can do a lot of damage with his spin attack, so being able to resist it a few times will save you more life than something like a Lucky Tooth can give you.

Also, I try not to spend any money in Tartarus or Asphodel. If you're playing well you shouldn't need anything from Charon early on. If you've upgraded Golden Touch (green mirror trait), you'll get a bonus percentage of coin for every level you clear based on how much coin is in your pocket. You can easily save enough coin to buy all of Charon's loot in Styx this way. Also, be sure to break any golden pots you see along the way. These can add up, but they're easy to miss, so I always check rooms before I leave. I'll also take Side Hustle if Hermes offers it early on. Stuff like that makes it easier to choose between coin and heart rooms.

Lastly, it's almost always advantageous to drop down into any Chaos portals if you get them early in a level. The negative aspect usually wears off after a few rooms, but you don't want to be gimped for a boss battle, so be cautious taking one towards the end of the level.

The game honestly isn't hard if you make the right choices, but half of the fun is experimenting and discovering what works for yourself. I'm still picking up Duo boons and stuff I haven't seen before, so sometimes I'll just let the build happen naturally and pick up whatever sounds good. Playing that way can be a lot of fun as well.

I agree with all of this except the coin part. I always take the free gold from the mirror and spend it on boons in charon's shop (if they are good, otherwise pom or health to take something later). Not to say my way is correct, just my preference.

I also really like dark foresight once you are done getting darkness and gems. It just gives so many more rooms that help your run (at the cost of the meta currency rooms).

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damn good. Have a good bow and arrow run going. I do hate the damn poison enemies in the end though. They deplete my HP like crazy.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm obsessed with this game now. Got my first clear and then bam bam bam cleared it with every weapon. Had some absolutely broken builds, stole some coin and got punished for it, stole some more and punished the punisher, made Dusa feel appreciated and unlocked companions, unlocked the door to Hades' room (I knew it. It's all capes!), and bought some nice towels.

I wasted 5 diamonds on some gates I can't enter until I have 5+ heat Don't make the same mistake. Don't buy "Gateways, Erebus" until you're ready for heat level 5.

Tried playing for the first time, 2 months ago, and for some reason the game didn't stick. I keep hearing all this praise, and I really want to give it another go--any recommendations/advice I should know?
How long did you play for? I found the game a bit confusing at first, as you have to pick an exit after each room and I didn't know what the icons meant. Looking those up and learning them helps you to feel more in control, even though you won't be able to make truly informed choices until many hours later. Then just experiment like crazy, and when you get killed, that's good, because you get to advance the plot and experiment even more.

I also thought the Cast was weak and pointless. It really, really isn't. Try out all the Cast boons the gods offer. They're wildly different and very strong.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I am now up to 3 clears in a row, 4 total clears out of 19 runs. I can consistently clear with any weapon and any boon combination. I just follow this mental flowchart:

1) Have 3 death defiance
2) Have Privelaged Status
3) First 2 areas, have a God Boon % increase keepsake. Last two areas, use the acorn keepsake
4) Choose hammer rooms first followed by God boons that cause curse
5) Play the game like Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer and profit

Works with all 6 weapons.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, I've only cleared the game 3 times and I'm having some trouble. Are there any tips you can give?

So far I can only clear the game with the Chaos shield, 3 death defiance and skelly's tooth, and insane luck lol. And yes, I am also playing on Godmode (I have 30% reduction so far).

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I've only cleared the game 3 times and I'm having some trouble. Are there any tips you can give?

So far I can only clear the game with the Chaos shield, 3 death defiance and skelly's tooth, and insane luck lol. And yes, I am also playing on Godmode (I have 30% reduction so far).
youll get there.

Start planning your builds better with the other weapons. Sometimes less boons are better if you really want to drive up poms and dmg to the ones you are using.
Sometimes dashing once is better than twice.
The boon reroll can save your ass, farm a bit for it.

Get the first titan blood on all your weapons on 1 heat.
beat the game with every weapon to get 10 blood and then max out your fave weapon and climb the heat chart collecting blood.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Prioritise getting a good dash. Athena's is best for avoiding damage, and the deflect will do a bit of bonus damage to the enemies. Poseidon's is really powerful if you get a few other boons that affect knockback. You can fling yourself around those cramped Styx rooms like a bowling ball, bouncing rats and satyrs off the walls. Get a good dash and never stay in one place for long, and you'll avoid a ton of damage.

I had one extremely broken run where the best tactic was just to spam all four buttons as fast as possible. Might have been a shield run now I think about it. The weapon hardly seemed to matter at that point.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Just got my first clear today, with the gun. Had a heroic doom boon on it's special and the artemis cast which got me through it. This game rocks! I don't know if it's my number 1 game of the year (Doom Eternal is still high in my heart) but this game does every little thing so masterfully. I hope to see credits pretty soon! Absolute blast.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Got a second clear, this time with the shield. I took some people's advice on that run and rushed for doom on the shield's special, and went for poseidon's dash. I was pretty much unstoppable after that point, and I got some sick combos with aphrodite and dionysius.
I tried another run with the spear. I really don't like the spear's moveset all that much, and the boons i got over the run did not help. I'm pretty underwhelmed with zeus's boons. I find the chain lightning effects to be really underpowered, unless you maybe get lucky enough to get jolted with them. I tried selling my dash and my cast after the second floor because i hated them (demeter dash, zeus cast) but ended up taking both a zeus cast and dash. It was not that fun of a run lol. I also realized that artemis does not play that well with the spear, as having her attack boon on it plus the hammer that makes my spin attack do extra damage doesn't proc the boon enough to really be worth it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Or the left shoulder button!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
youll get there.

Start planning your builds better with the other weapons. Sometimes less boons are better if you really want to drive up poms and dmg to the ones you are using.

beat the game with every weapon to get 10 blood and then max out your fave weapon and climb the heat chart collecting blood.
I will say that I often lost sight of the dmg-boosting effects of some boons, like Aphrodite. Don't overlook pure DPS output, even if you think a secondary effect might not be worthwhile (i.e., I'm not gonna get hit, why do I want them weak?).

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I will say that I often lost sight of the dmg-boosting effects of some boons, like Aphrodite. Don't overlook pure DPS output, even if you think a secondary effect might not be worthwhile (i.e., I'm not gonna get hit, why do I want them weak?).
But then some of the secondary effects can ultimately get you even MORE dps in the long run (ie. get Aphrodites weak, and then Aphrodite/Artemis duo boon which is +150% crit damage to weak-infected foes). Chrion Seeking Bow + Aphrodite weak on attack + Artemis crit on special, and that duo boon = <3

That's when you get into the real fun.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But then some of the secondary effects can ultimately get you even MORE dps in the long run (ie. get Aphrodites weak, and then Aphrodite/Artemis duo boon which is +150% crit damage to weak-infected foes). Chrion Seeking Bow + Aphrodite weak on attack + Artemis crit on special, and that duo boon = <3

That's when you get into the real fun.
Oh yeah, they often work real nice together! But that's all part of the learning process.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
so i got past the third boss once and i absolutely am not having a good time.

how do i speed up the process in this game? i've been leveling up the mirror with keys and purple drink. i've been fishing. i've even beaten the furies with some weapons, although i can only beat hydra with two of the weapons.

also fuck the lava area that's one of the worst fucking things i've played all year, and i beat paper mario: the origami king.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

how do i speed up the process in this game? i've been leveling up the mirror with keys and purple drink. i've been fishing. i've even beaten the furies with some weapons, although i can only beat hydra with two of the weapons.

also fuck the lava area that's one of the worst fucking things i've played all year, and i beat paper mario: the origami king.
Have you leveled up the weapon aspects / bought new weapon aspects? There are some cool variations on the original weapons in there. And some of them just give you straight bonuses to the weapon's damage output. Others play with how the weapon works and might make the weapon more comfortable for your play style.

Another thing is just getting familiar with the weapons and how you want to use them, then taking the charms into each biome that best set you up for that build.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the game though. Have you watched any videos by Halien? He does a great job explaining his rational for which boons he's taking and how they make his builds stronger. He also does a decent job showcasing good game strategy, though he often is rolling around so fast it can be a little hard to tell exactly what he's doing, at first. If you're a bit tired of experimenting watching a few of his videos might be helpful.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super happy to see player feedback has continued to be overwhelmingly positive and that the game maintained its 98% positive reviews on Steam, even after tens of thousands more reviews. It's rare that a game comes together as elegantly as Hades does.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
youll get there.

Prioritise getting a good dash. Athena's is best for avoiding damage, and the deflect will do a bit of bonus damage to the enemies. Poseidon's is really powerful if you get a few other boons that affect knockback. You can fling yourself around those cramped Styx rooms like a bowling ball, bouncing rats and satyrs off the walls. Get a good dash and never stay in one place for long, and you'll avoid a ton of damage.

I had one extremely broken run where the best tactic was just to spam all four buttons as fast as possible. Might have been a shield run now I think about it. The weapon hardly seemed to matter at that point.

Thanks for all the advice! I had a run with the Hades spear that I nearly beat Hades with, I was just 1-2 hits away before I died lol. I'm practicing with the other shield aspects for now (I'm trying to focus on completing the story) but I'm taking what you said into consideration for my other runs. The shield is super easy for me though, especially since it lets me cancel-out attacks.

As for the story...

Does it have a like, definite end? Or do you just keep seeing Persephone and then getting brought back to the Underworld forever? And if it does have an ending, how many runs do you have to complete to see it? I'm on my 5th or 6th clear right now. Please DON'T tell me what happens, just let me know if there is an end.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
As for the story...

Does it have a like, definite end? Or do you just keep seeing Persephone and then getting brought back to the Underworld forever? And if it does have an ending, how many runs do you have to complete to see it? I'm on my 5th or 6th clear right now. Please DON'T tell me what happens, just let me know if there is an end.
After 10 (I think) clears, there is a significant change and you get the end credits. However I am well past that, and there's still a lot to do and I think some big plot moments still to come.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Have you leveled up the weapon aspects / bought new weapon aspects? There are some cool variations on the original weapons in there. And some of them just give you straight bonuses to the weapon's damage output. Others play with how the weapon works and might make the weapon more comfortable for your play style.

Another thing is just getting familiar with the weapons and how you want to use them, then taking the charms into each biome that best set you up for that build.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the game though. Have you watched any videos by Halien? He does a great job explaining his rational for which boons he's taking and how they make his builds stronger. He also does a decent job showcasing good game strategy, though he often is rolling around so fast it can be a little hard to tell exactly what he's doing, at first. If you're a bit tired of experimenting watching a few of his videos might be helpful.

i generally know what boons have worked for me. the problem is the randomness. it's a problem i have, in general, with something that's randomly generated or procedurally generated. except for phasmophobia, it feels like the developers gave up on a core aspect of actually designing a game, which leaves me feeling like the difficulty oscillates back and forth for no discernable reason.

i've been leveling up weapon aspects i think. is it just titan's blood? i can't seem to access the fourth aspects for anything yet. there's also locked doors down in castletown, so maybe more of the game opens up there.

ultimately, i feel like i took a gamble on something i had a pretty good feeling i wouldn't like, and i didn't like it. the same happened with me and the slow-paced action rpg genre like souls and monster hunter. and in the end, that's fine. i would like to just get to the end of the game just so i could say i 'beat hades' since this is a digital game and i can't get my money back for it.

it just seems like i'm missing something crucial since there are so many renovations and i barely ever get enough to do anything there. it leaves me thinking surely the game can't be that mindlessly grindy and that my approach is flawed in key aspects.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Does anyone ever bother selling boons? Generally I try to work with whatever I get, and I'm not sure the gold is worth it.

I'm glad that
Zag and Dusa decided to be just friends in the end. The power dynamic of the flirting was a bit creepy, since Dusa is an employee, and seemed a bit starstruck by Zag.

i generally know what boons have worked for me. the problem is the randomness. it's a problem i have, in general, with something that's randomly generated or procedurally generated. except for phasmophobia, it feels like the developers gave up on a core aspect of actually designing a game, which leaves me feeling like the difficulty oscillates back and forth for no discernable reason.

i've been leveling up weapon aspects i think. is it just titan's blood? i can't seem to access the fourth aspects for anything yet. there's also locked doors down in castletown, so maybe more of the game opens up there.

ultimately, i feel like i took a gamble on something i had a pretty good feeling i wouldn't like, and i didn't like it. the same happened with me and the slow-paced action rpg genre like souls and monster hunter. and in the end, that's fine. i would like to just get to the end of the game just so i could say i 'beat hades' since this is a digital game and i can't get my money back for it.

it just seems like i'm missing something crucial since there are so many renovations and i barely ever get enough to do anything there. it leaves me thinking surely the game can't be that mindlessly grindy and that my approach is flawed in key aspects.
While the boons you receive each run are random, I think it's as far from a procedurally generated game as you can get. Everything seems carefully crafted and the sheer number of viable permutations boggles my mind. Once you master the core of the game (hit them, don't get hit) you start to worry less about getting the best boons, because you can make anything work.

It's those first few runs, where you haven't learned the enemy attack patterns and an unfamiliar boon throws off your rhythm, where the game seems really hard.

Don't worry about all the renovations. The stuff in the first tab expands the game and makes you more powerful, but pretty much everything else is cosmetic. The best way to speed up progress is to complete a run, and once you do it, you'll be able to do it consistently.

This is all moot if you're not having fun though

Studge

Oct 25, 2017

Are you playing on PC? If so I would highly recommend backing up your save file before hard rooms or boss fights so you can retry if you lose. I would not have put anywhere near the 245 hours into this game that I did if I had to lose a whole run because I didn't play perfectly or made a simple mistake.

For the lava specifically, it's a bit counter intuitive but it counts as a trap so Athena's "less trap damage" boon is great for this area if you encounter it. It's a %90 reduction in damage with the epic rarity and that manifests in gameplay by increasing the time you can stand on it before taking damage, which is multiple seconds.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought this game and it is really fun. So far I have gotten to Theseus and the Minotaur like 3 times and it has so far been a bit much in that fight (the boons theseus gets are nasty) but I'm getting better. The sword has been my best so far though I had a good run last time with the spear where I got an epic doom on special right away and basically just focused on boosting it so it would pop enemies for ~200 damage every time it hits and cheese people.
I just got the twin gauntlets so I'll be trying those out next run, idk if I like their lack of aoe and a seemingly lackluster special but maybe going artemis crits would be nasty, we shall see.

The Dionysus grenade cast is disgusting. Big aoe with big damage and a stun? Delicious.

I've been giving the nectar to Charon(mostly), Chaos, Cerberus, and Skelly, I'm curious what's gonna happen lol.

Seeing dialogue directly address specific items or events has been pretty neat. I am greatly enjoying it and everything about the mythology works so well for this type of game. 10/10

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing on PC? If so I would highly recommend backing up your save file before hard rooms or boss fights so you can retry if you lose. I would not have put anywhere near the 245 hours into this game that I did if I had to lose a whole run because I didn't play perfectly or made a simple mistake.

For the lava specifically, it's a bit counter intuitive but it counts as a trap so Athena's "less trap damage" boon is great for this area if you encounter it. It's a %90 reduction in damage with the epic rarity and that manifests in gameplay by increasing the time you can stand on it before taking damage, which is multiple seconds.

yeah that would have been a good idea. i got it for switch so i can play it while exercising.

finally got to the hades fight. because of pure luck, i got the boon that halves your health but you get back +2 on every attack. and that was paired really well with other stuff i had going on. but something like that could have certainly been an equip somehow. got close to killing hades too, which would have been just peachy, but he got me with maybe like 5% of his health left.

the whole thing of the enemies adapting to your playstyle seems to defeat the purpose of getting stronger. why funnel points into anything if it just means the game's going to get harder? i guess it's just there to change the core experience of those encounters?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
the whole thing of the enemies adapting to your playstyle seems to defeat the purpose of getting stronger. why funnel points into anything if it just means the game's going to get harder?
I haven't noticed enemies adapting to my playstyle. The first two bosses have some random variations but they aren't any harder, just different.

There is a way to intentionally make the game harder to get more rewards, and it's definitely a good idea if you want to unlock everything and see how all the characters' plotlines resolve. But it's not required to see the main ending.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't noticed enemies adapting to my playstyle. The first two bosses have some random variations but they aren't any harder, just different.

There is a way to intentionally make the game harder to get more rewards, and it's definitely a good idea if you want to unlock everything and see how all the characters' plotlines resolve. But it's not required to see the main ending.

i might just have reacted to different enemies showing up randomly or maybe dependent on the weapon choice then.

anyway, i beat hades on the second encounter with him. got really lucky with the build: had three casts that were crystals that shot lasers and also chill. had damage protection against bosses on top of when health dipped too low. also had a boon where i was recovering 1 health every second when there was no death defiance left. so the hades fight was just me setting up lasers and running around the map to avoid any actual fighting, which allowed me to cheese it pretty easily. the run was about 47 minutes.

now i can uninstall this thing and get back to my normal dreams: me and krusty winning the superbowl.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
27 runs in... 4th time fighting Hades

Finally beat Hades! Yes! I only had a quarter life bar left!

*Hades regenerates and gets stronger*

FFFFUUUUCCKKK!!!!

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
34 attempts and 36 hours clocked in (Steam time mind you), finally hit clear #10 and credits!!!
Gonna shelf it for a bit while I deal with my ever frightening backlog.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
73 runs, 23 clears, and still lots to do. Feels like I'm approaching the ends of Achilles' and Sisyphus' questlines.

I love this game so much.

Maybe Tisiphone is gonna say something else!?
zVHYhcf.jpg

Alecto acknowledges the random world we live in.
hQvE3za.jpg

Dusa is too polite to ask Zag why his British accent sucks.
JgTkART.jpg

Making friends with Hypnos.
xF1VsTI.jpg

Even when you succeed, death is inescapable.
A37c62a.jpg

I get a different end screen every time I beat Hades and they're always funny. I wonder how many there are.

I think the final part of the main story will be Persephone and Demeter reconciling, but we'll see. I didn't know enough about Greek mythology to know that Demeter is Persephone's mother, until the game made it explicit. Seems like Demeter is taking her loss very badly, and the world is suffering as a result. And the biggest mystery remaining is, who is Skelly, and he sent him?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Last boss is a real doozy. Shit gets wild in the 2nd half and it doesn't help that styx can be a real terrible place beforehand giving you nice rooms like armour lasers and satyrs and boom urns at once.

On the bright side I have been having a way easier time defeating Theseus. I've gotten to Hades like 4 times and getting used to his timing.

Sword and Gauntlets are both amazing weapons. Gauntlets are a DPS machine when you can just hold attack and dash, attack and dash, side to side. Super fun.

It's weird when you feel you're like 20 hours in and then oh what's that, Demeter? A new god shows up! Also when Theseus gets Demeter boon it is disgusting.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok 20 runs and 2 clears, Theseus is still the major run ender. If I beat the fight clean the run is at least making it to the final boss. Can someone point me to how I can unlock the fourth aspect of the weapons? I've been holding on to Titan Blood until I can unlock those since I don't know how much it'll cost me.
20 runs and 2 clears is incredible imo. It took me 45 to get one. What weapon are you using?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
20 runs and 2 clears is incredible imo. It took me 45 to get one. What weapon are you using?
Shield is my favorite because I can block damn near everything. Makes Theseus and the final boss MUCH more manageable. I can reliably get to the boss with any weapon now but I've only got clears with fists and shield. I ALMOST had a win with the rail but choked on the last hit.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Shield is my favorite because I can block damn near everything. Makes Theseus and the final boss MUCH more manageable. I can reliably get to the boss with any weapon now but I've only got clears with fists and shield. I ALMOST had a win with the rail but choked on the last hit.
Shield is only way I've cleared so far. I can get to Hades most times with all weapons but he absolutely blitzes me