• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
Beat Hades with Extreme Measures at 4, it was a really fun fight. After 100 attempts I only have 3 prophecies left (getting the legendary boons from Demeter and Chaos and beat Charon twice) but they're more based in luck than anything else so I don't know if I'll get them.

Read about doing 16 and 32 heat runs, is there anything you get for doing that? Or is it only the most difficult pact you can do for a run? (Talking about the 32 heat).

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
How much ambrosia should I be saving up? I've spent several to get extra titan blood but still have 12 stocked up. So far I've only been able to give one, to Cereberus.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty early on. I have about 7 hours in and I just unlocked being able to use Titan's Blood to upgrade the weapons. Is there a way to reset Titan's Blood use and is there a way to get more? I cleared Tartarus with every weapon so not sure how else to get it at this point.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I'm still pretty early on. I have about 7 hours in and I just unlocked being able to use Titan's Blood to upgrade the weapons. Is there a way to reset Titan's Blood use and is there a way to get more? I cleared Tartarus with every weapon so not sure how else to get it at this point.
If you spend titan blood on a weapon but quit before starting a run or leaving the weapon selection room, you will get the blood back. As soon as the game triggers a save, you can't. So this way you can try things out before committing to the spend.

Every time you clear Tartarus or defeat Hades with a weapon on a new heat level, you get titan blood. So it sounds like you have six more to get from beating Hades at the base difficulty with each weapon, and then even more when you turn up the heat.

You can also trade ambrosia for titan blood with the trader in the lounge. But I'm trying to figure out if that's a good use or ambrosia still, because you get even less ambrosia than blood per clear.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
If you spend titan blood on a weapon but quit before starting a run or leaving the weapon selection room, you will get the blood back. As soon as the game triggers a save, you can't. So this way you can try things out before committing to the spend.

Every time you clear Tartarus or defeat Hades with a weapon on a new heat level, you get titan blood. So it sounds like you have six more to get from beating Hades at the base difficulty with each weapon, and then even more when you turn up the heat.

You can also trade ambrosia for titan blood with the trader in the lounge. But I'm trying to figure out if that's a good use or ambrosia still, because you get even less ambrosia than blood per clear.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I was trying to square what to do for splitting the Titan's Blood up to my upgrades. I might put all that I have into one weapon and try to complete a clear with that one. Thanks!

Furthest I've gotten was limping into the Elysium boss with low health and getting wrecked.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm curious what are you changing? I haven't changed any of my mirror perks since I got the prophecy done and that was like 40 escapes ago.

+1 dash vs 50% damage from perfect dash is a big one that varies based on which weapon I'm using (and even which aspect). This one is the one I have to change most often.

I use 100% damage on undamaged enemies with the Rail that fires a powerful single shot, and nothing else, but that's my favorite Rail.

Privileged status vs the one where you get 5% damage per god, I switch these a ton based on what weapon/aspect I'm using.

A few aspects I use the one that buffs 25% damage when your health is high.

If I'm working on a Heat level failed to beat previously, I switch to healing based on picking up dark.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I think my time has finally come to an end with this, I feel like I've done everything gameplay and story/character wise and then some. Yesterday I ended up doing Poseidon runs just to grind gems and try and get the last entry in my codex done (damn you Chaos realm fish).

120 hours well spent, really didn't expect to put in that much. Supergiant finally nailed it for me. Awesome game.

Last edited:

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
What's generally a good build for sword runs? Aspect of Nemesis and then Artemis on the attack for high crit and maybe Aphrodite on the special?

I really want to like Nemesis especially for the lore but I haven't had a good run with it yet.
Critical attack sounds like a good add-on but without another add-on like doom or chill it's just ok.
I think the critical chance should extent to other attacks as well, like the Eris Rail's ability.
Also, getting in enough swings to make a difference just makes me eat damage. I'm an impatient player though.

Instead I just end up using Arthur. +50 health is great and the ring of protection is great for Elysium and even Asphodel for the witches circle.
Plus it hits like a truck.

I haven't put the money into Poseidon yet but it looks promising especially with some of the Hermes upgrades.
I noticed that certain casts don't always get lodged in enemies (Aphrodite and Demeter) and quick cast makes them almost as good as attack/special.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I really want to like Nemesis especially for the lore but I haven't had a good run with it yet.
Critical attack sounds like a good add-on but without another add-on like doom or chill it's just ok.
I think the critical chance should extent to other attacks as well, like the Eris Rail's ability.
Also, getting in enough swings to make a difference just makes me eat damage. I'm an impatient player though.

Instead I just end up using Arthur. +50 health is great and the ring of protection is great for Elysium and even Asphodel for the witches circle.
Plus it hits like a truck.

I haven't put the money into Poseidon yet but it looks promising especially with some of the Hermes upgrades.
I noticed that certain casts don't always get lodged in enemies (Aphrodite and Demeter) and quick cast makes them almost as good as attack/special.
Thanks for the input. I might try Nemeis or Arthur. I rarely use casts (which is stupid, know). Sword is definitely the weapon I am the worst at

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the input. I might try Nemeis or Arthur. I rarely use casts (which is stupid, know). Sword is definitely the weapon I am the worst at
I don't even have Poseidon aspect upgraded and I can usually get a pretty good cast-focused build together. Go after Artemis upgrades and try to get the one that does X damage when bloodstones dislodge. Stack that with some extra casts from Artemis or Chaos and you can pretty easily do 1000+ damage with your special once all the stones are in someone. And that's ignoring the damage from getting the stones in there.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Last 3 runs ended with dad killing me when I was oh-so close. But the nice thing is just before those runs, i realized I could buy one more level of death defiance for 1000 darkness (I had thought I had maxed it), and those let me get it. I can't imagine that I won't win on my next good run with one more of those...

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Played a ton and still don't know: sometimes a door will have a skull underneath the boon thats upcoming. What's that about? Also, is Thanatos your brother? I thought he was but not sure now.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Played a ton and still don't know: sometimes a door will have a skull underneath the boon thats upcoming. What's that about? Also, is Thanatos your brother? I thought he was but not sure now.
Skull = miniboss or armored enemy room, gives double rewards for material rewards (e.g. 10 gems instead of 5, 20 darkness instead of 10, etc.) or a higher rarity for boons.

Thanatos is the son of Nyx, who was kind of a mother figure for Zag, but not his biological mother.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm about to 30 runs in and I can't make it past the 4th area (Styx?? ).

FUCK.

This shit's hard man..... I feel like I get really good stacking boons and I actually do pretty well in the first two areas. I know I get better every time but if I had TBH it's the Theseus + Minotaur fight that completely fucks me up. I lose like 2 or all 3 of my death defiances against him. God damn. I've been using Thanatos' keepsake and the Shield and that has helped a lot.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I'm about to 30 runs in and I can't make it past the 4th area (Styx?? ).

FUCK.

This shit's hard man..... I feel like I get really good stacking boons and I actually do pretty well in the first two areas. I know I get better every time but if I had TBH it's the Theseus + Minotaur fight that completely fucks me up. I lose like 2 or all 3 of my death defiances against him. God damn. I've been using Thanatos' keepsake and the Shield and that has helped a lot.

You can't mash your way through a boss fight (I try and it messes me up every time). It's ok to back off and regroup.

1. Don't engage Theseus before you take down Asterius. Asterius' normal swings don't hit behind him so try to stay there. When he tries to ram you I have more luck leading him into the outer walls than the columns. He'll flash before he does his two swings -> jump combo. Also, he recovers for a long time after the jump. Dash behind him and wait it out or try to get some hits in. Watch the timing and you'll be able to take him down.
2. For Theseus, hit and run. If he's lining up a shot there's no shame in dashing off and coming back. Once he goes super Saiyan then kite him but keep safe. The worst boon for him to use is Demeter, it has a huge area and he often stands right in the middle of it.

Specifically for Theseus keep the columns between you and him and you'll be fine.
You can do it!

Timemaster89

Jun 8, 2020
Finally, after 34 escape attempts, 35th was my lucky one. I was losing before because I had great builds and was full of confidence and was not thinking carefully, I rushed. And now, with shitty bow build, I was careful with final boss, damaged little by little, and success :D

Ending was so good and satisfying, but does not feel like this is merely the end. I need to know more, to see Persephone more, damn you Supergiant Games :D
Perfect in-game explanation for roguelike genre. This is going to be a looooong ass game

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've now escaped twice on 22 runs. With the rail gun and the claws. Pretty proud of myself.

I now can get to Hades pretty regularly each run even with 1 Heat on, but I don't beat him that often.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Had a really good Diosnysius/Aphrodite Fists run with the Aspect of Demeter fists going and then it just fizzled out partway through Elysium. Hangover damage just does not scale hard enough to be useful late game.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Had a really good Diosnysius/Aphrodite Fists run with the Aspect of Demeter fists going and then it just fizzled out partway through Elysium. Hangover damage just does not scale hard enough to be useful late game.

like a lot of things it needs layering with duo boons for the late game. Things like the Ares faster ticks boon or the more stacks one.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get the gloves to work at all. When I'm using them I always end up doing everything except the punching part, because of how wide open you have to be to deliver hits against bosses (or shielded enemies)

Other weapons are all so much safer to use, even the sword and shield.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
udO8x0N.jpg

Finally have a clear with all the weapons. And a pretty interesting build for the sword - Aspect of Nemesis, and then I happened to get a ton of Aphrodite and Hermes boons, so a ton of weak + speed + speed bonus damage + bonus damage to dash strikes etc. Not really what I was going for, but it worked out quite well

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Took 42 escapes and alot of ambrosia and nectar but I finally got the epilogue quest today on my best streak and counting of 10 escapes. Highest heat I've cleared is 8 on 2 or 3 weapons.

Jun 22, 2019
so, does this come naturally, or there has to be heavy google usage and calculation?

In my game, it came very naturally. You just keep playing and keep interacting with the NPCs.

This game is great in that I feel it needs very little googling in general (for the most part). My least favorite part of Gungeon was having to google all the obscure item effects that have vague and qualitative descriptions - never had to do that for this game.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Support Fire has to be among the best boons, right? I guess it depends on the weapon, but it absolutely turned the tide of my first Aspect of Zeus run. Died twice to Meg and ended up beating Hades (for the 5th time).

My primary strategy now is just to stack boons. I don't know why, but I rarely see Aphrodite or Athena boons now. Maybe because I never pick them.

Timemaster89

Jun 8, 2020
In my game, it came very naturally. You just keep playing and keep interacting with the NPCs.

This game is great in that I feel it needs very little googling in general (for the most part). My least favorite part of Gungeon was having to google all the obscure item effects that have vague and qualitative descriptions - never had to do that for this game.
Thank you. And for the game's clarity, I am sometimes surprised that I don't need to do web research in order to do something. I am so used to do these days, but here, nope.

My primary strategy now is just to stack boons. I don't know why, but I rarely see Aphrodite or Athena boons now. Maybe because I never pick them.
That's what I was thinking last night. Just to chase boons. In my previous runs, I loved pomegranate rooms, but, lately, I was not feeling like I was getting much power for pom upgrades.

Oct 30, 2017
When you do a heat run for a weapon above what you currently completed do you complete all the ones below it? with a multiplier on the rewards? or do you still have to do the one before it?

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
The Mrs. gifted this game for me, and so far I gotta say it's awesome. Wasn't a huge fan of Bastion or Transistor, so I'm pleasantly surprised here. I just had a run with the fists plus dash damage and while it wasn't super strategic, it was a whole lotta fun.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
When you do a heat run for a weapon above what you currently completed do you complete all the ones below it? with a multiplier on the rewards? or do you still have to do the one before it?
No, it only counts towards your current bounty. So if your current bounty for the bow is, say, 10 heat and you set the heat to 16 and win, your bounty will only go up to 11 like normal.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
did the switch version get cross-saves from PC yet? thinking about getting it on the switch, don't wanna start all the way over?

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You can't mash your way through a boss fight (I try and it messes me up every time). It's ok to back off and regroup.

1. Don't engage Theseus before you take down Asterius. Asterius' normal swings don't hit behind him so try to stay there. When he tries to ram you I have more luck leading him into the outer walls than the columns. He'll flash before he does his two swings -> jump combo. Also, he recovers for a long time after the jump. Dash behind him and wait it out or try to get some hits in. Watch the timing and you'll be able to take him down.
2. For Theseus, hit and run. If he's lining up a shot there's no shame in dashing off and coming back. Once he goes super Saiyan then kite him but keep safe. The worst boon for him to use is Demeter, it has a huge area and he often stands right in the middle of it.

Specifically for Theseus keep the columns between you and him and you'll be fine.
You can do it!

Yeah I generally try to get Asterius first. It's hard for me to juggle him and Theseus' arrows at the same time it just... happens so fast D : But I think it's gotten better. They're still knocking a lot outta me.

did the switch version get cross-saves from PC yet? thinking about getting it on the switch, don't wanna start all the way over?

In the switch main menu for the game one of the three options before you start includes cross saves so I assume so?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Beaten the game twice but still have no idea what to do with Ambrosia. Should I be able to spend it somewhere or will that come naturally?

It will come naturally. After a while you won't be able to give nectar to characters any more, and after then at some point you will unlock the ability to give them ambrosia.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Picked this up on a whim, as I've never really been into roguelikes...

And I'm properly obsessed. Combat feels great. Characters are likeable. Artstyle is lush. Sublime stuff.

Do I suck, though? I just now got to my first boss fight (a fury. Meg, I think) on my 7th escape attempt. I feel like I should've been getting much farther.

Also, as a gay guy... this game is dangerous. Every dude is relentlessly hot. Wtf.