• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Woo, second escape right after the first. Getting that first win really loosens you up in that final fight. Spear this time, pretty much just pumped attack speed, damage and range.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I completed most of the Prophecies, most of the mirror, collected all companions, I saw the credit roll, I completed the "invitation" prophecy, and now I'm struggling to find something to work towards. I don't think this game to end. I feel so empty.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm glad you mentioned this because I'm seeing the same thing. Almost the whole house is out of new dialog and Hypnos is still stuck at the lock.
If you're still having trouble with him, I died and that seemed to finally "activate" his side quest dialog (he should be talking with Thanatos). I was on a pretty lengthy winning streak so that might have been a factor (or just bad luck).

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I completed most of the Prophecies, most of the mirror, collected all companions, I saw the credit roll, I completed the "invitation" prophecy, and now I'm struggling to find something to work towards. I don't think this game to end. I feel so empty.
Start a new save maybe? See how few runs you take to beat Hades. Or just work on maxing all weapon aspects.

If you're still having trouble with him, I died and that seemed to finally "activate" his side quest dialog (he should be talking with Thanatos). I was on a pretty lengthy winning streak so that might have been a factor (or just bad luck).
Oh shit, that might be it. I'm on a 40-run win streak so I haven't normal-died in a long time.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So, I remapped the Cast to the R shoulder button and confirm/talk to the A button and it has been a game changer. I'm finding myself using the cast much more now and it making my runs that much better.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out if you get FOUR Chaos boons for Special Damage (including one epic one at 91%) and use Artemis Special (>100%) along with 45% Clean Kill, 20% Urge to Kill, and 20% Sweet Surrender you can phase Calisthenics Hades in one or two specials lmao. Also, had special speed so 4-5 in a single lock-on possibe.

Now to have 5 runs with zero Chaos I'm sure...

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, all.

Heard all the buzz about this game, read through the better part of this thread, ended up caving.

I am. . .COMPLETELY new to this genre. This is the first Rouge-what-have-you I've freaking TOUCHED.

I'm the type of person who buys a game for the aesthetic and then immediately sets it to Easy because I'm a wuss, LOL. Although if the damage resist mode the thread discusses isn't on by default, I haven't flipped it on as of yet.

What's a good clip to be hitting this game at, from that perspective? I've done 24 failed runs at this point, and I've finally hit the Area 3 tag-team boss.

I think I like the spear best, so far. Bow and gun are fine. Don't really know what to do with the sword. TERRIFIED of trying out the shield or the gauntlets, LOL

Character dynamics are definitely fun to watch unfold, which is good because that's why I'm here LOL. The dichotomy of deities in the lore tab could be roughly be divided into "emotionally supportive found family" and "bougie relatives who just realized they had a secret cousin/nephew who actually WANTED to attend holiday dinners, tries to smuggle him out under the nose of overly strict parent because why not."

There are, of course, outliers.

Somehow despite being a passive-aggressive mess, the parent-child relationship central to this whole mess is STILL less toxic than most examples in fiction, LOL.

Then there's Chaos. Popped in twice on her so far. Been scared to do more because of the initial health drain, but hey I went for her keepsake the second time and it apparently negates it so-

For an existence before existence manifested in form equal parts serene and terrifying, something about the way she handles the whole thing makes me vividly imagine her leaning back and watching the whole mess with a bowl of popcorn when no one's looking. Or several. The roiling faces probably get to share.

Out of all the characters in this game who are in it for kicks and giggles, and that's most of them, Chaos is the one who's the MOST in it for kicks and giggles.

Y'all can be as stoic and eldritch as you want, woman, you're just here to meme on this entire situation.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
EkrVV5hWAAE86KZ

Ya Extreme Measures 4 is now the only way to play and I don't think I'll ever turn it off while I go for the epilogue. Hades should really have had 3 death defies like Zag does .

Last edited:

bmecey

Oct 30, 2017
Anybody else having difficulty unlocking the codex on the Switch version? I have over 20 hours and two escapes, and have still never gotten the dialogue from Achilles that unlocks the codex.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hey, all.

Heard all the buzz about this game, read through the better part of this thread, ended up caving.

I am. . .COMPLETELY new to this genre. This is the first Rouge-what-have-you I've freaking TOUCHED.

I'm the type of person who buys a game for the aesthetic and then immediately sets it to Easy because I'm a wuss, LOL. Although if the damage resist mode the thread discusses isn't on by default, I haven't flipped it on as of yet.

What's a good clip to be hitting this game at, from that perspective? I've done 24 failed runs at this point, and I've finally hit the Area 3 tag-team boss.

I think I like the spear best, so far. Bow and gun are fine. Don't really know what to do with the sword. TERRIFIED of trying out the shield or the gauntlets, LOL

Character dynamics are definitely fun to watch unfold, which is good because that's why I'm here LOL. The dichotomy of deities in the lore tab could be roughly be divided into "emotionally supportive found family" and "bougie relatives who just realized they had a secret cousin/nephew who actually WANTED to attend holiday dinners, tries to smuggle him out under the nose of overly strict parent because why not."

There are, of course, outliers.

Somehow despite being a passive-aggressive mess, the parent-child relationship central to this whole mess is STILL less toxic than most examples in fiction, LOL.

Then there's Chaos. Popped in twice on her so far. Been scared to do more because of the initial health drain, but hey I went for her keepsake the second time and it apparently negates it so-

For an existence before existence manifested in form equal parts serene and terrifying, something about the way she handles the whole thing makes me vividly imagine her leaning back and watching the whole mess with a bowl of popcorn when no one's looking. Or several. The roiling faces probably get to share.

Out of all the characters in this game who are in it for kicks and giggles, and that's most of them, Chaos is the one who's the MOST in it for kicks and giggles.

Y'all can be as stoic and eldritch as you want, woman, you're just here to meme on this entire situation.
Hitting the third boss on your 24th try is perfectly fine! They're probably the biggest hurdle in the game (bigger than the final boss for a lot of folks). And yeah, the God Mode damage resist assist is off by default.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Finally saw the credits and managed to escape with all 6 weapons.
Phew... Game has been a ride and definitely is my game of the year.

Now I'm not sure I'll continue much, as I'm not a fan of extreme difficulty...

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Still havent beaten Hades. Last 3 runs or so I've had builds I'm convinced WOULD have beat him, but I died to the dumb poison guys in styx

xoxogossipgita

Staff Writer at Kotaku
Verified
Apr 10, 2019
I don't wanna be the "you're playing it wrong!!!" guy but I feel like that might be partly why it took her like 100 runs to beat it for the first time lol.

I can see Stubborn Defiance being useful if you want to see more of the game and get used to chambers/enemies you might not reach otherwise, but once you can comfortably reach Hades it's 100% the wrong decision.
i actually only beat it once i switched to stubborn defiance

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't wanna be the "you're playing it wrong!!!" guy but I feel like that might be partly why it took her like 100 runs to beat it for the first time lol.

I can see Stubborn Defiance being useful if you want to see more of the game and get used to chambers/enemies you might not reach otherwise, but once you can comfortably reach Hades it's 100% the wrong decision.
It's useful on super high heat because chambers can/will become harder than the bosses, and you can basically heal up with it even with 100% less healing from that one pact condition. Also you can still acquire death's defiances during the run and the stubborn defiance will trigger before it so you can bank the death's.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
OK I had forgotten about the epilogue, maybe I'm not done with the game yet...

Anyone knows how to reach it ? Can't find a reliable answer online

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

FINALLY got my third win. Legit could've won this without a weapon, lmao. Festive Fog, dash in, Call (CONSTANT Calls, holy shit), dash out, giggle while people melt. I lost that one Death Defiance in the very first region and basically stopped getting hit after I got Smoldering Air and Black Out. So damn strong.

I didn't even lose all my Acorn charges until hades phase 2 when I realized that I was winning no matter what and stopped working on self preservation.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Finally escaped with every weapon, the sword was giving me hard time. I escaped with spear and fists on my first proper tries, only did one run with both before my first escape. My clearly fastest run was with the shield, at 25 minutes.

Edit: I think playing Hades may have broken my joycons a bit, though I had Joycon drift earlier.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Aegis with the Aspect of Zeus is super fun to dash around and lead it into enemies. Especially when you have lightning strikes tied to your special.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
99 escape attemps, 44 successful ones and got the One for the Ages on this last one. I might finally move on to the next game

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Blitz shield is one of my favorites!

I tried out the other adamant rail aspects but I still only get anything done with fully upgraded Zagreus.
Maybe Aspect of Eris is good at higher levels? 15-30% increase wasn't great...

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Blitz shield is one of my favorites!

I tried out the other adamant rail aspects but I still only get anything done with fully upgraded Zagreus.
Maybe Aspect of Eris is good at higher levels? 15-30% increase wasn't great...
Eris gets insane if you level it up. It's +75% damage at level five, and keep in mind that applies to ALL damage, not just shots from the Rail.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Does having Tight Deadline on make it so you're more likely/always getting the Satyr sack on the second Styx door? Or do the elite/skull doors have an increased chance for the Satyr sack? Because I feel like the past dozen runs I've just been doing the two skull doors and it's always been on the second one.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do we have info about how cross-save between PC and Switch will work? Will it be back and forth or a "import your PC to Switch and that's it" situation? I'm sure this has already been discussed before, I apologize.

Since Hades has distinct save files, I'm hoping that there's an option to manually upload / download them. I've put in 100 hours (dang!) on the PC version but when I buy it on Switch I'm actually looking forward to starting from nothing.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Does having Tight Deadline on make it so you're more likely/always getting the Satyr sack on the second Styx door? Or do the elite/skull doors have an increased chance for the Satyr sack? Because I feel like the past dozen runs I've just been doing the two skull doors and it's always been on the second one.
I feel like I'm always running tight deadline because it's a freebie and I've gotten the sack past door 2 before. I know when you're running tight deadline you won't get those "survive for 45 second" rooms but I haven't heard anything about satyr sacks

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
For me at this point, if I get any of the following combos I'm probably looking at an easy clear:

Artemis cast + fast cast drop + dislodge damage
Dash strike damage + Poseidon Dash + rupture
Dionysus cast + Zeus Duo (lightning bolts in the fog) + Jolt
Dionysus cast + Demeter Duo (Ice Wine) + Artemis seeking arrows
Aprohodite weak + Ares Duo (constant doom on weak foes) + bonus weak damage (Sweet Surrender)

On acquiring these it's like you can pretty much focus on gold and poms and trying to stack bonus damage like crit chance, crit damage, zeus lightning, and such.

Also unlocked the hidden bow aspect (Rama) last night. Seems really good with Dionysus; the DOTs like Hangover damage apply to all foes you mark with the special, right? Seems great for DOT builds.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Had a particularly lucky run with a bow that got rapid-shot modded at the first room, made it all the way to the final boss.

Didn't win, of course, but all things considered I feel like I did pretty OK.

Made it to the second health bar and took a decent chunk out of him after, so it's the effort that counts, eh?

Of course, I still find doing spear runs more satisfying, but I still haven't made it past the Dynamic Duo with it, much less gotten to the end stretch.

Athena's reflector attack + Daedelus Hammer triple shot mod is REAL frickin' funny on everything before those two, though. Witch's circle boss rooms in lava land are like popping a freaking balloon. I took a screen recording of one of those rooms, I should post it to Twitter because it's such a hilarious exemplification of why it's such a fun kit against general enemies and the first two bosses.

Too bad everything prior to The Boys (TM) is just me repeatedly stumbling over the apparent noob gates.

Also listened in on the frickin' weirdest character interaction yet back at the House.

Hypnos just unironically suggested the genocide of the human race as a way for Thanatos to free up more of his time. Poor Thanatos just standing there in utter brotherly disappointment like you fool, you nimrod, you utter buffoon.

Imagine being Death incarnate and being the tsukkomi in your freaking sibling relationship.

Also Hypnos has always struck me as weirdly callous, but now I am officially Concerned (TM). I think it's more just a side effect of being an incarnation of something inherently detatched from reality than anything, but it ain't a good look I'll tell you that much.

Also as an aside, I'm just thoroughly entertained at how Thanatos here is a by-the-books, Only Sane Man tsundere pretty boy thus far when the previous incarnation of Thanatos I've interacted with in a video game was, like
as far the polar opposite of every descriptor above as possible.

Anyway, I'm happy with just having made a run all the way to the end stretch for now, I think I'm probably good getting into groove for a little while before getting too fussy about launching into successful runs and beyond. Also gotten most of my Keepsakes at this point, so I think I can start working on buffing character relationships a bit, too.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm with you but Supergiant's formula means their next game will have nothing to do with this one. I'd take DLC or a sequel or anything... but it isn't likely.

I know, but it would do so well. This has been more of a standout hit with them than ever before, so I won't rule a sequel out (gotta keep hope alive, lol). The end bits of dialogue do make it slightly less of a "perfect" sequel (now that I'm 99% done with the game), but it's still ripe for a "battle the gods" scenario.

Speaking of things I want from a sequel:
  1. VS mode. Zone of Enders 2 had one, this should as well, because it would be siiiiiick.
  2. Co-op mode, because that would also be sick. Downside is the amount of visual noise would literally be unbearable, so they would have to heavily limit the amount of Boons in 2P mode or something.
  3. A way more customizable hub. I was thinking of something like Dark Cloud more than Animal Crossing (because the latter would be so much work), but I would absolutely love to feel like I personally built up my own hub area.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just started this last night and played for 2.5 hours... this game is pretty fucking good isn't it?

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I just started this last night and played for 2.5 hours... this game is pretty fucking good isn't it?

Welcome to the next 100 hours of your gaming life :)

10 complete runs will get you the ending, but after 170+ runs I am still getting new dialogue and character story developments. There's a lot there if you want, or you can call it good with the ending and credits.

That's great to hear. I love the gameplay but also having something to come back to in the world after each run is what makes this game stand out.

I haven't hit the Epilogue yet, no rush really. I have most of the minor prophecies completed and I'm on the fourth rank. All that and I'm still only on about 8 heat required for rewards. There's more to go :)

finally

Jul 22, 2019
is him and his mother on the boat goingbto the underworld actually the final true ending? I expected a mindblowing twist

Can't belive after 32 escape attempts and beating the game 10 times I still didn't get a companion, I thought by gifting, progressing, everything will be unlocked eventually.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
is him and his mother on the boat goingbto the underworld actually the final true ending? I expected a mindblowing twist

Can't belive after 32 escape attempts and beating the game 10 times I still didn't get a companion, I thought by gifting, progressing, everything will be unlocked eventually.
I didn't get my first companion until about 45 runs. And that's because I spammed Meg with necter.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 36 runs in (38?) and came pretty close to getting my first win last night.

Like 25 of these runs were 2ish years ago though. I don't even think the game went past the Bone Hydra back when I played last? Or maybe I just didn't.