• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the prophecy for hidden aspects is just to reach the final boss. I failed twice on heat 4 runs with spear hidden aspect. First try time ran out and next I just got wrecked near the end of the 2nd phase. It's the only hidden aspect I haven't escaped with and it is not fun to play.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Finally beat Hades for the first time today. Bow with double shot and flurry did the trick. What's up with marking five of your boons on the victory screen? Does that do anything, or is that just for bragging purposes?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
6 clears now. I have yet to reach Mother with spear and gun.
I'm almost there. I don't think i'll try to unveil skully's surprises. Heat 8 already frightens me...

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man i've bought it in early access on PC but waited for the final release to play it. Game is so good i want to double dip now and play it on the go but i see there is no cross save yet, hope it is coming soon.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The "gun special splits into 6 shots at -30% less damage each" hammer upgrade is bananas holy cow. No one stood a chance against it.

It's like every shot is calling in an airstrike.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Wrapped up all the Heat 3s, think I'm just gonna crank the heat up now, I don't really need the titan blood for much else since I don't care for most of the other aspects I haven't spent blood in (and I still am missing 3 hidden ones). I'll just go straight to EM4 and see how things go.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Beat Hades yesterday, for the first time, using a Blade Rift cheese strategy. I had the shield and the boon which makes your orbs emit lightning, plus the boon to re-trigger lightning effects. I also had pretty much all the Blade Rift buffs (including a legendary one). So I basically sat in a corner with my shield up, throwing out casts and watching his health bar tick down. Felt a little against the spirit of things, but I'm happy I finally beat him (after 34 runs). I'm still dying on Theseus and the Minotaur a lot though, and I've been trounced by Hades all the other times I've reached him.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh, finally beat Theseus and Minotaur for the first time and I haven't even used any death defiances in this run yet either. I got lucky by having pretty easy god's aid for Theseus' 2nd phase (green circles that occupied mostly center of the arena, so it was easy to bait the spear throw and attack. Feels good.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Finally beat Hades for the first time today. Bow with double shot and flurry did the trick. What's up with marking five of your boons on the victory screen? Does that do anything, or is that just for bragging purposes?

I think it's just so you can highlight which boons you liked if you want to share the run or remember a powerful combo.

Seen credits on my 29th run. Might grind Titan Blood at low heat for a bit to upgrade the aspects, then crank things up.

Seen some people mentioning a true ending. Any non-spoilery tips on what to focus on to get there?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There's a prophecy which appears to guide you to the true ending after you chat to a few people and keep giving nectars out.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Seen some people mentioning a true ending. Any non-spoilery tips on what to focus on to get there?

Spoiler tagging it just in case but it doesn't really spoil anything:

Max your relationship with the Olympic gods. Not all per se but most. I don't know the concrete number. For some, you will need to do a certain thing or fulfill a prophecy to unlock the last heart.

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
Probably my tenth attempt at the final boss and it was very easy. Would have done it without using any death defiance but I knew I had it done at one point and gave up on self-preservation.

Having these extra dashes with the gun makes it real easy, plus my special was crazy strong especially when the five bombs were all close together.

zO2KVp7.png

I think I had my fastest ever runs through the first three floors as well, the whole run was just good times. My previous was with the bow and I died halfway through the first stage of final boss which was pretty disheartening so I went back to my best weapon and was happy.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my tenth attempt at the final boss and it was very easy. Would have done it without using any death defiance but I knew I had it done at one point and gave up on self-preservation.

Having these extra dashes with the gun makes it real easy, plus my special was crazy strong especially when the five bombs were all close together.

zO2KVp7.png

I think I had my fastest ever runs through the first three floors as well, the whole run was just good times. My previous was with the bow and I died halfway through the first stage of final boss which was pretty disheartening so I went back to my best weapon and was happy.
I think extra dashes is by far the single most powerful thing in the game. And that includes the second dash you get from the mirror. Honestly, Hades might be a better game if it hard capped at 1 (with the whole game rebalanced around that obv). But maybe that's just me, I prefer my games a bit slower and more methodical.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with Hades, but I don't understand the default control scheme. I feel like I instantly got twice as good at the game when I swapped Dash and Call (to put Dash on ZR). Thank god the controls are remappable.

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
I think extra dashes is by far the single most powerful thing in the game. And that includes the second dash you get from the mirror. Honestly, Hades might be a better game if it hard capped at 1 (with the whole game rebalanced around that obv). But maybe that's just me, I prefer my games a bit slower and more methodical.
The big issue I had with the final boss was getting hit by the spin move constantly because the dash is shorter than the range. Multiple dashes stops that from being an issue and I'll switch to the mirror dash for every run now.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Still can't finish a 32 heat run. It's getting frustrating as hell now. Had to do a minimum heat run just to blow off some steam. Can't decide whether to bump up the time limit or not. Sometimes I feel like I've got it under control, only to run out of time before Hades second phase. Argh

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The big issue I had with the final boss was getting hit by the spin move constantly because the dash is shorter than the range. Multiple dashes stops that from being an issue and I'll switch to the mirror dash for every run now.
With 1 dash it has to be timed well. With 2 you have to be kind of careful and mindful of positioning (or time it well). 3+ and you can spam dash out of any danger, including anything Hades can throw at you.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It seems i always lose to Hades at the very end with the Sword. Dammit. I'll get it soon though.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I still have no idea what to use ambrosia on.
If you give someone enough nectar you'll reach a locked heart on their relationship meter, at which point you'll need to do something special to keep progressing that relationship (they'll tell you, though not necessarily right away). Once you do that, the heart will unlock and then you can start giving them ambrosia instead of nectar.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
VrT68fK.jpg

Cleared all Pact of Punishment bounties. Beat 32 Heat. Beat Extreme Measures 4. Maxed out all relationships. Completed all story content. Fully unlocked and upgraded the Mirror of Night. Unlocked and fully upgraded every Aspect and Companion. 126 escapes out of 214 total attempts. I have one last cosmetic item to unlock at the House Contractor (+3 Decorative Themes) and one piece of music left to unlock for the Music Stand (Good Riddance, which does not show up at my House Contractor due to a bug that has been patched on PC but not yet on Switch). I still have nine Keepsakes to fully level up and 14 Prophecies to complete, mostly related to finding specific Boons or Daedalus Hammer upgrades.

This game has been an absolute blast from start to ... well, I'm not actually finished with it just yet!

I have never been much a fan of the Roguelike genre, but Hades captured me right from the start with its wonderful art, story, and characters. Having your repeated failed attempts be accounted for in the narrative and actually moving that narrative forward in the process ensured that even failed attempts were never frustrating. Every attempt gets you something, be it permanent resources, knowledge, or new story moments with the game's many amazing characters. Zagreus is a great protagonist and I greatly enjoyed his many interactions with the rest of the cast. Each of them have such wonderful personalities and relationships, not to mention the beautiful portrait art and stunning voice work.

Each of the weapons are different and unique, and though I struggled with a few of them initially, each of them has at least one Aspect I enjoy wielding and building around. Arthur Blade, Demeter Fists, and Chiron Bow are my favorite weapons to use, with Zagreus Spear, Beowulf Shield, and Zagreus Rail following. The Rail gave me my first clear, and it was the weapon I was most comfortable with when starting out - but after 214 runs, I have found its damage output a bit lacking, and its Special is hard to use on a controller. I struggled greatly with the Blade at first; its damage output was fine, great even, but being in melee range all the time meant incurring a lot more damage too. Aspect of Arthur took away that struggle and is also just really, really, really fun to use. Demeter Fists and Chiron Bow each have really satisfying play patterns revolving around their Specials.

I have also found success with each of the gods and their Boons. I feel Poseidon and Ares offer the weakest Boons by quite a bit. Poseidon knocking back foes is fun, but kinda worthless vs. bosses, and Ares' Doom can be useful but is pretty low on my list generally. Each of the other gods just have so much more to offer - Critical damage from Artemis, high damage percentage increase and Weak from Aphrodite, Deflect from Athena, Hangover, Festive Fog, and Premium Vintage from Dionysus, tons of lightning everywhere all the time from Zeus, great utility from Hermes, and Chill from Demeter. One skill that I initially didn't care for at all but have since come to greatly appreciate is Athena's Aid. I was very much wrong in thinking that a Call that didn't deal any damage wasn't of much use, and now try to grab it every time I run the Blade or Fists. Getting to just stand there for some 16 seconds while you beat down a boss is so good, and you're probably doing more damage in that time than a damaging Call would have done anyway.

I should probably finish up this post before it turns into an essay, so I'll just say once more that I have greatly enjoyed my time with the game so far. Great work from the people at Supergiant.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Try the other mirror upgrade (50% damage / dodge chance after a near-miss) - I'm a convert to one dodge now (although more from Hermes is still useful).

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Done 15-ish runs so far, and gotten as far as the Bull of Minos mini boss.

This is easily Supergiant Games most mechanically sound game, which is good because the roguelike nature of the game really requires it. Having unlocked up to the twin fists, so far all of the weapons are an absolute joy to play with, also a good thing seeing how much the game incentivises switching up weapons every run.

The story and world both seem quite intriguing at the moment, unsurprising given the developers track record thus far. It's interesting having a fully voiced main character in contrast to Bastion and Transistor whose mc's were mute or Pyre where it was more or less a self insert. Zagreus seems likeable enough and is boosted by an incredible roster of other voiced characters, even if they are given out a few lines at a time.

I'm definitely interested to see where this goes.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
So how do I get the post credit ending (spoiler tag it for others obviously)?

I've had 12/13 successful runs and am wondering what I should be focusing on. Love the game, but if the requirements are huge, I might have to tackle it sporadically.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how do you get the true ending? respond in spoiler

i beat the game about 6-7 times

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
After 32 runs, I finally clear with all weapons (Not all aspect of course). Gonna start raising those heat level on my next run.

Guan Yu spear with the right hammer upgrade is so good With quick charge and increase spinning area I pretty much can spam charge attack and not worrying about my health.

I don't like Elysium boss the most since its way too chaotic when the summoning started

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Does that require frequent conversations or just giving them gifts? Or both?
They work similarly to other characters: give them nectar until you reach the locked heart, at which point you'll have to do something special to unlock it and then you can give them ambrosia. (I'd recommend using the wiki for the Olympians as, at least in my experience, they are not as direct about what they want as the other characters.)

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Got him! 22 runs and a few close misses for the first win.

Using the bow, had doom on attack and special, with increased damage/longer activation and increased damage on doom stacks. Zeus cast, with jolted and the Zeus and Artemis duo boon that spams lighting from uncollected casts. First time I've seen that and it was awesome.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
They work similarly to other characters: give them nectar until you reach the locked heart, at which point you'll have to do something special to unlock it and then you can give them ambrosia. (I'd recommend using the wiki for the Olympians as, at least in my experience, they are not as direct about what they want as the other characters.)

Thanks. May just jump in and out over the coming months and try to make some progress.

I've done 40+ hours, escaped several times and I've loved it. But I'm not sure I've got it in me to grind for various items at the moment.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Extreme measures Hades is no joke.

I took Hades down in his second form with no death defiance's left and was a little lazy because I thought that was his final form. Well that made for an interesting 3rd form because I had 3 health left for about half of that form. I don't know how I didn't die, but I managed to beat him. It was only the 2nd time I had encountered EM4 Hades since the first time I fell during his 2nd phase.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I tried out Trippy Shot Beowulf Duo Boons. It went better than expected... as I got FIVE Duo Boons (I was going for two... lol). Ice Wine, Scintillating Feast were the aims, then I also got Cold Fusion, Calculated Risk, and Stubborn Roots (lol... and with a shield too... that combo is a guaranteed Perfect Clear if you want to game it).

Topped out at 4456 damage for one Dragon Rush on Hades (+whatever the Lightning Strikes and Jolted did). I'm actually pretty certain just Vanilla Aphrodite cast is stronger DPS wise than this. Now, it was a awesome build, but I got that to 3400 damage per nuke, and you can nuke 2, more likely 3, times before you can regather your shards with Trippy Shot. And this trippy shot build was also pretty miraculous in terms of the stuff I got.

Anyway, Beowulf is so good. I also tried the dash strike Zeus/Poseidon Chaos shield build, and got it almost exactly like the posted video. Very fun and chaotic... but I'm not sure how consistently it would be that good. Beowulf literally just needs Aphrodite on cast and any curse on attack to destroy the game. No Hammers required, though a certain one makes it super extra. And even with everything going right I still don't think the Chaos build was /stronger/ than Beowulf, but it is definitely faster to clear regular levels if that's what you're going for (I'm still in the process of taking every weapon to 20 heat or whatever for the currencies). I'm not sure I even care about running 0-1 Heat as fast as possible, maybe if I ever feel like pushing the decorative frames for Zagreus (that reqire a toooon of Shadow). Even then I'd probably leave the EMs on just so I don't lose my touch hah. Fights are realllly pathetic without it.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how do I get the post credit ending (spoiler tag it for others obviously)?

I've had 12/13 successful runs and am wondering what I should be focusing on. Love the game, but if the requirements are huge, I might have to tackle it sporadically.

You have to keep giving all the Olympians nectar. Some of them you'll be able to max out with Ambrosia without much fuss. I think you just have to max out nectar on each one. You probably also need Persephone and Hades maxed, I dunno, but eventually Persephone will tell you her plan and then you have to encounter each god again and invite them to a party. Once you've done that and spoken to her after it will happen. After she talks to you the first time you'll get a Prophecy about it. It took me a looooong time after the regular ending, but I was stockpiling resources and didn't start handing out nectar until I had like 85... lol... so it can definitely be done sooner I'd imagine. It will still be a lot of nectar either way

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Just started playing this yesterday. Really fun. I'm not good at it but slowly improving. 17 runs and the furtherest I have gotten is the last boss of the 3rd area. I'll get there eventually.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Omg can't believe I just finished a heat 6 run with the adamant rail. Had the 300%+ Daedalus boon for the special that hurts you and explosive fire. One of my pacts was tight deadline and I was near suicidal trying to beat the Elysium boss since I got there with about 1 min on the clock. Managed to clear it with 6 mins to spare. Then I get the final boss with abo it 4:30 left and I clear it with 7 health on my last life with 30 seconds left lol.

Also that was my first run trying new controls. Saw someone mention mapping dash to a trigger so I mapped mine to ZR and then moved call to ZL. Mapped summon to R and made A interact and B cast.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
After 8 runs and 8 hours the game has finally got it's hook in me. Got all the way up to the Elysium boss with the Adamant Rail which I found really fun. Still can't figure out my favorite weapon but it might be between the Rail gun and the Spear.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Run 26, never thought a game could bamboozle me as much as this game did when

Hades got that second fucking life bar.

Sad thing is that I had the build needed to pull it off, just got caught off guard so bad I got sloppy and died.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
First escape came just before midnight last night. Already got my second. Patience really is the key to this game. Previously I've tried to just cheese my way through and rely on damage that might not have been there. I'm becoming much more constant as I take it slower.

EkpS5h5VcAEJLVI

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
After my first escape, got another 3 in a row, slowly amping up the heat. I think my favourite weapons are adamant rail (zagreu), demeter malfon and maybe stygian has something to show. Awesome, awesome game, and the cast is surprisingly humane, can't wait to see zag and dad hugging it up!