• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I also found it really poor in terms of damage output if you get suboptimal boon RNG. Encounters took forever to beat. Of course, with the right boon combination, it was devastating. But being stuck in place (especially if you get the infinite ammo upgrade) coupled with the piddly dash attack range made for a not fun time.

Main advise for the fight is to position yourself behind him when he goes for the two swings. It may look like they hit 180 degrees, but from my experience it also hits a bit behind so keep your distance.

When he does the jump attack, just dash in his direction and avoid the purple sparks. When he does the charging rush, dash through the pillars or go to the wall and dash to the side.

Make sure he always has a cast attached to him so you deal extra damage.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I got offed by a greatshield in Elysium... That hasn't happened for like twenty runs. Feelsbad

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Just had my first successful run after roughly 24h of game time. Loving it so far.

If I've unlocked all the aspects in the mirror are Cthonic Keys now only valuable as a trading item with the Cursed Broker? Or are there more things I could be doing with them?

Jornax

Nov 17, 2017
Does ignoring a spawned fishing opportunity reset the "X amount of chambers until a chance for a new fishing spot" in the same way as actually starting the minigame does?
For some reason I get a fishing opportunity almost every time I go through Tartarus, for which I've completed the fish compendium ages ago, whereas I still need some entries for the other zones. But if ignoring the fishing opportunity doesn't actually help increase the odds, might as well fish, right?

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Throwing lightning is so fun.

85trCLL.jpg

Also ran Static Discharge (Lightning makes foes Jolted), Chain Skewer (Special hits up to 7 foes), and Swift Flourish (Special is +20% faster) on top. Felt like I was Zeus, chucking lightning at everything. Really good at blowing up groups of enemies.
I had a similar build with the shield and it was so fun! Didn't have room on the screenshot for all the boons that helped but apart from what you have here my 2 daedalus hammers were faster attack and double attack and a bolt on attack boon. I was basically stunlocking every enemy in an area whenever I attacked.

I typically avoid zeus boons because some aren't so great by themselves but I just kept running into him. Now I know better lol.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
How bad are the dips? This game feels like it would be unplayable without a consistent frame rate. One wrong move, and you're missing 80% HP.
Negligible, imo. If you're sensitive to frame rate issues you might have some occasional trouble but I've barely noticed the drops myself

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
How complex are the game mechanics of Hades compared to Dead cells?
I want to say there's some fundamental combat similarities, default striking weapon, cooldown focused support/cast, dodge for days and so on.
But where Dead Cells seems to earn its keep in combat through all sorts of more random modifiers on top of a weapon, as well as tons of them that you'll be burning through during a run as you mix and match as you go, Hades presents a small handful of much more diverse weapons where you commit to one for each run and build up during your run with various modifiers dependant on the Gods you run into and such.
The repeat run upgrades in Hades seem to offer more advantages to the player than Dead Cells going off my memory (outside the potions you can stock, Dead Cells was more about adding tons more potential weapons to the mix)

Also Hades is a linear path to the finish by comparison to Dead Cells which has branching points.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I haven't finished a run in a while because I can't beat Hades with Stubborn Defiance, it's getting frustrating

ara

Oct 26, 2017
After about 40-50 runs, and... 25-30? clears, I think I'm starting to feel done. I've been working towards unlocking hidden aspects and summons, but they've all been a bit lacking and not quite as transformative as I had hoped, so I can't really be arsed to continue grinding those since the game's gotten super samey at this point. Not particularly interested in the side quests/narrative content either. I might try an EM4 run at some point, but other than that, no real desire to start a new run.

All that said, the first 25-30 runs were the most pure fun I've had with a video game in quite a while, and to call this game addictive is almost an understatement. It's not my straight up GOTY (that goes to Wasteland 3 currently) but it's definitely in the top 3. Just a bummer I couldn't turn it into one of those Endlessly Replayable Games like Binding of Isaac is for many, since this has by far the most fun gameplay I've ever seen in roguelikes.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
How does Parting Shot work? Does it mean that you gain the ability to backstab with it, or that an attack using your cast (from any side) applies the same effect a backstab would?

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How does Parting Shot work? Does it mean that you gain the ability to backstab with it, or that an attack using your cast (from any side) applies the same effect a backstab would?
I'm pretty sure it's the first one, you still have to hit them from behind with the cast but it now benefits from any backstab boons that you have (along with the general backstab damage bonus).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've pretty much done everything but the legendary boons and some random boons from the gods. Really just waiting on a certain someone to give me the epilogue quest. Is it completely random or do you need to be at a certain affinity with this person?

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed this has an upcoming cross save update. I bought the Switch version but also want to pick up the Steam version. If I have two different save files, would they merge or something? I'm assuming I should hold off on getting the Steam version until the crossplay update comes out so I can port my Switch save over before there's conflicting save files.

And yeah, this game is REALLY fucking good.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Feels like either my luck is changing, or I'm actually getting better.

I'm currently on a 4-escape streak with Spear/Bow/Spear/Sword. The last run I ended up beating both the
Tiny Vermin
and the end boss before escaping.

On one of those wins I was trying for the Thorn of Thanatos achievement. I got into Styx with a 26% damage bonus from the Pierced Butterfly and I was very disappointed to find out that the small rooms don't count towards the bonus. I guess you have to do the entire path without taking a hit?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I beginning feel like equipping the God-specific keepsakes does nothing except stopping boons from showing up for like a whole zone lol

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Does Big daddy always have multiple health bars?
that sucked, I haven't escaped yet and I felt I was brick walling and then I just had this amazing run, I didn't die once all the way up to him and then I knock him down, boom. And then he jumps back up full health and wallops me.

ugghhhh

im not cut out for repetition games like this, I'm demoralized to run again for the 25th or so time

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm coming back from pre-twin fist times, should I start a new save file? I think I have like 60 runs under my belt.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Does Big daddy always have multiple health bars?
that sucked, I haven't escaped yet and I felt I was brick walling and then I just had this amazing run, I didn't die once all the way up to him and then I knock him down, boom. And then he jumps back up full health and wallops me.

ugghhhh

im not cut out for repetition games like this, I'm demoralized to run again for the 25th or so time
Don't worry, it's just a matter of getting his patterns down. It took me maybe 2-3 more runs to beat him the first time. After that, maybe another 2-3 to comfortably get through at least the first phase without having to use a defiance. Later on, the bigger threat to that fight actually becomes his adds.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
coming up on 40 runs, and I need one more run to get the ending. What a genuinely lovely game, although I think I now have carpal tunnel.

Did anybody else greatly underestimate Extreme Measures? I expected a few more tricks & moves to be given to bosses, not to head into the boss chamber and immediately go

Screen_Shot_2018-03-30_at_11.34.27_AM.png

(ofc it was my first heat run too lmao)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After completing all the pacts I gotta say Forced Overtime is by far the hardest one to manage.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
So I tried last night, first new try and Hades was beaten (I ended up with 30HP only thought). That block is almost cheating :)
But what a slow run it was.

It's time for the sword now :)
Yeah, that's the shield. It's nerfed compared to the first months of early access by the way. Wait until you get the second aspect for it...

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Aphrodite's Life Affirmation, especially at Rare or Epic+, is one of my favorite boons in the game. Get it early on, get tanked out for Hades, and then sell it right before Styx for an infusion of cash.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Ares Doom on Shield attack is so broken it can pretty much win you a run on its own if you level it high enough.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I just love Artemis' Support Fire boon even just for aesthetic reasons. I don't care how effective/efficient it is compared to other boons, just having a constant barrage of micro missiles (esp when using the bow) is cool af.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Got a duo boon, combining Zeus and Artemis on my cast. It periodically does damage to all enemies while you've got unclaimed casts out in the field.

Got it just before the final boss, then just threw them all into a corner and tried to avoid them as much possible. It meant I got damage continuously for free...

... probably not as good as using the casts, but it made the fight very safe.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The armoured up warriors in Elysium are just a pain in the arse. If you get a bit of bad RNG, you can find yourself in a tiny room and swamped by them!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My thing with the shield guys is that if you have the wrong build they're about 10k times harder than anybody else in thr game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Got fed up that the epilogue quest wouldn't unlock, just looked it up on youtube lol. I guess it's no big deal.

Funny how Spear was my favorite weapon at first now I don't like it. What's the point of the special move? It does nothing special.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, just finished my second run. both of my runs have been with ranged weapons played at close range.

the first was with the bow and arrow. got the upgrade which adds extra arrows to the special, and i think i have also got another that reduces the spread, so i just ran up on bosses and unloaded all of them in their face. then my last run was with the gun -- got an upgrade that turns the special into a rocket, and then another upgrade on top of that that turns the rockets into a spread, then had a high powered Demeter boon sitting on the special -- so same strategy, run up and unload everything into the bosses at once.

super cheesy, but hey, i'll take it.

fuzzylogic

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been participating in this thread, but I'm dropping a commemorative post to mark my finishing the game (on my terms). The game is great, one of my favorites I've played and my favorite Supergiant game. The most I've enjoyed a rogue-lite.

98 hours, 100 runs, 60 clears, 26 streak, 18 minute fastest run, most of the relationships maxed, all 49 achievements, cleared with every weapon and aspect, every prophecy fulfilled, decorated the fuck out of The House, beat the final boss without taking damage and beat EM4.

I had been burning out, but finished off the last few achievements before I uninstalled. I decided not to finish up every goal I set: 32 heat is torture, I am not going to endlessly try for the last fish I need (sorry, uncle Poseidon) and I'm not quite finishing the last relationship I hadn't maxed because I don't care anymore. I reached Elysium on my first try at 32 heat, but it made me want to die the entire way, so I'm not grinding that out.

A random observation I never posted about: I played the game a little bit before 1.0 came out. I noticed they repurposed the post-game screens they used before they finished the game and put in the real ending. I was annoyed to see those return, because I was hoping for a very very lite Harvest Moon mini-game :D instead of seeing the pre-1.0 screens again. I wonder if they did that because they didn't want to toss out that work or if they planned it that way from the beginning.

Last edited:

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Only probably 20 runs in or so on Switch and I'm loving it. (My runs don't last very long.) Heart-Seeker Bow + Doom is definitely my favourite combo right now. I've gotten to Elysium and beaten the minotaur, but no farther. Just reached Elysium for the second time.