• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
The upgrades are substantial. Not all of them, all of the time. But you will get some combinations that are just nasty, and it will feel great just melting entire rooms in seconds.

The bosses change, but you will always face a version of each boss. So for the hydra, I believe there are 3 varieties? Those are random, and play out a little differently - but otherwise, you will always encounter the Hydra at that point.

I think the cast is probably the weakest part of the combat system personally. In its base form, it is not particularly powerful, it has an awkward/slow animation, and it's not very satisfying (e.g not much impact). However, you will get permanent upgrades that can make enemies take more damage when hit by the cast. This stacks, and you get 3 casts (sometimes more). At this point it becomes pretty handy in fighting bosses - for the added dps. On top of that, there are boons/upgrades that make your cast super powerful. One to lookout for is 'Trippy Shot'. You can also get upgrades that let you rapid fire your cast. With the right combination, your cast will become way more powerful than anything your weapon can do - and it's pretty fun to use.
Thanks for the detailed answer, it's good to know I have lots of stuff to look for. And hopefully mirror upgrades are cool as well, even tho it doesn't seem like the kind of game in which you may end up OP.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to unlock aspects, but even a be quick browse someone has to convince me most of the base aspects are not worth putting Titan blood into

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The upgrades are substantial. Not all of them, all of the time. But you will get some combinations that are just nasty, and it will feel great just melting entire rooms in seconds.

The bosses change, but you will always face a version of each boss. So for the hydra, I believe there are 3 varieties? Those are random, and play out a little differently - but otherwise, you will always encounter the Hydra at that point.

I think the cast is probably the weakest part of the combat system personally. In its base form, it is not particularly powerful, it has an awkward/slow animation, and it's not very satisfying (e.g not much impact). However, you will get permanent upgrades that can make enemies take more damage when hit by the cast. This stacks, and you get 3 casts (sometimes more). At this point it becomes pretty handy in fighting bosses - for the added dps. On top of that, there are boons/upgrades that make your cast super powerful. One to lookout for is 'Trippy Shot'. You can also get upgrades that let you rapid fire your cast. With the right combination, your cast will become way more powerful than anything your weapon can do - and it's pretty fun to use.
Cast is mostly how I get through the final rooms quickly in the last stage. They can be devastating on clustered enemies. The base cast is good for the damage buff, but that's mostly effective only on bosses and mini bosses.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, this one is no joke...the other Extreme Measures barely made the bosses feel harder at all, but the third health bar is rough.

Is there any reward to beating Hades like this, though? I think I'm just about tapped out for now.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
However, you will get permanent upgrades that can make enemies take more damage when hit by the cast. This stacks, and you get 3 casts (sometimes more).
It does not stack. Whether an enemy has one bloodstone or three, they'll only take 50% more damage (if you've maxed the upgrade). I literally just tested it with Skelly to make sure.

(or possibly I misunderstood what you meant by stacking)

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think you may have to do a run with each weapon first. Not complete, just do one.
Cheers, that did it. The Adamant Rail is pretty cool although a few of the fights were particularly frustrating with it due to the lack of bullets.

Got to the end of Elysium again. Had Theseus down and thought I was going to be fine but somehow died with the Minotaur at a sliver of health. So frustrating! 😩

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheers, that did it. The Adamant Rail is pretty cool although a few of the fights were particularly frustrating with it due to the lack of bullets.

Got to the end of Elysium again. Had Theseus down and thought I was going to be fine but somehow died with the Minotaur at a sliver of health. So frustrating! 😩

I'd suggest hugging the pillars and focusing on the Minotaur first. He is relatively easy to dodge (just dodge to the other side of him whenever he does his combo or slam). And his enrage phase is easier to deal with than Theseus.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I keep getting to the second phase of the last boss.... but man, I'm really struggling. I try to hide behind the pillars and cheese with my cast, but there's so much shit going on and those lasers are deadly af.
I went into a fight with three death defiance's and lose all of them :(

i suck.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How do I gain Dusa's favor? I did what's on the wiki but it's not working.

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019
I keep getting to the second phase of the past boss.... but man, I'm really struggling. I try to hide behind the pillars and cheese with my cast, but there's so much shit going on and those lasers are deadly af.
I went into a fight with three death defiance's and lose all of them :(

i suck.
I suspect you'll beat him soon. The fact you can get to Hades with all 3 death defiance intact is an achievement in itself. You'll get used to Hades' attack patterns and soon will be dancing around him like nothing. The pillars pretty much make his lasers redundant and everything else is easy to react to, key is to not get flustered and panic. Just get used to dodging his spear attacks and feed him when they miss, but don't get too greedy. Destroy those fireskulls when they are setup, but if you can't, prepare to dodge through the wave.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
40 attempts. Gotten to Hades 4 times. Am consistently getting past Elysium now. It's the Temple of Styx tunnels that Doom me.

Also it's so cute that you gain a fan in the Elysium Coliseum. I make sure to say hi at the beginning and end of the fight.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
So, finally beat the game 10x and got the real ending. Whats the primary motivator to keep playing now? Any big events still to occur? Not sure what I should be aiming for. Not into just doing runs for the hell of it.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Man, Athena's attack on the twin fists is brainless. I also had her dash, blinding flash, brilliant riposte and support fire, and was basically obliterating everything with my punches while being close to invincible.
Just have to hold the attack button and dash randomly.

Oct 25, 2017
So, finally beat the game 10x and got the real ending. Whats the primary motivator to keep playing now? Any big events still to occur? Not sure what I should be aiming for. Not into just doing runs for the hell of it.
There's the epilogue, prophecies you might have missed, finishing renovations, finishing characters side stories you haven't yet, getting the final keepsakes, seeing Hades small development towards being a not TOTAL failure of a father figure, etc
The fan's adorable. I love that there's a bunch of unique dialogue about it! The dialogue wasn't there until version 1.0.
It was added during early access, but not all at once.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
well the good news for you is that ive long passed that and now I basically always clear runs, I'm up to heat for on all my weapons so keep at it :p

Lol. I don't even know what heat is yet. I am keeping at it. I normally dislike Rouge-likes but damn if I haven't actually missed out on sleep for this game as I go "Just one more run" ten times in a row.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
woooooooow this hammer that makes the Rail special become a 5 bomb clusterfuck is amazing, I wish I had pumped all my dmg shit into the special and not my attack in this run RIP :(

man the hammer HAS to be the go to upgrade right? like the one you always go for if its there? its such a game changer most of the time.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I'm so dumb. I decided to go into the final battle work my shield and so I pumped all of my blood I had into various different shield enhancements not realizing that I could only take one of those enhancements into battle 🤦

Seven

Oct 25, 2017
Austin
I made it all the way to
Hades
but died--however, on my next run things seemed a lot more difficult, and Zag commented on the Bone Hydra being different. Is the difficulty just upped now because I made it that far once?

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
man the hammer HAS to be the go to upgrade right? like the one you always go for if its there? its such a game changer most of the time.
Not necessarily. Most of the time it's good to take them right away, but the game always tries to make sure you have two by the end of the run, usually one in Tartarus and one in Elysium but there will be one in a Styx tunnel if you're missing one by then. If another option is really good (like a Trial of the Gods), skipping a hammer means it probably won't be long before it offers you another one.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't get the Charged Volley hammer upgrade to show up. I know I've gotten it in the past when I didn't want it (and I actually remember choosing it at least once). I'm going to give up on the prophecy because I've probably done a dozen runs (w/ 2+ hammers) with no luck. I've tried different aspects of the bow to make sure. It sucks that you can't re-roll the options, either.

Also going to give up on the lyre. I'm at 120+ runs, and I still don't have no idea how close I am to achieving that prophecy despite it now actually playing something more melodic.

I guess I've seen as much as is worth it and I'm done with the game.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
woooooooow this hammer that makes the Rail special become a 5 bomb clusterfuck is amazing, I wish I had pumped all my dmg shit into the special and not my attack in this run RIP :(
Yeah it's amazing at cleaning out rooms and bosses alike. Just have to flick the stick backward on single targets.
I imagine it's ridiculous coupled with the rocket.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The gun with faster firing, bigger clip and Hangover is so good but boring lol. Beat Hades liking nothing. Just had to dodge and dash a lot

Oct 25, 2017
Also going to give up on the lyre. I'm at 120+ runs, and I still don't have no idea how close I am to achieving that prophecy despite it now actually playing something more melodic.
You just have to interact with it A BUNCH. Like, mash that button while watching something. Doesn't need to be between runs, though it might require one after doing the required number?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You just have to interact with it A BUNCH. Like, mash that button while watching something. Doesn't need to be between runs, though it might require one after doing the required number?
Darn, I thought it was only good for once every run. The reward is worthless now, but maybe I'll cross it off for good measure.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I had an absolutely incredible build that I was ready to beat down Hades with. So I was very sad to see that I just skipped the final fight.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect you'll beat him soon. The fact you can get to Hades with all 3 death defiance intact is an achievement in itself. You'll get used to Hades' attack patterns and soon will be dancing around him like nothing. The pillars pretty much make his lasers redundant and everything else is easy to react to, key is to not get flustered and panic. Just get used to dodging his spear attacks and feed him when they miss, but don't get too greedy. Destroy those fireskulls when they are setup, but if you can't, prepare to dodge through the wave.

Thank you so much for the motivational post!! ... I was gonna head to bed, but decided I'd give it just one.more.go.

43 minutes later, and I defeated the end boss!! YES! It didn't start as too great a run - I screwed up with a Chaos selection and didn't love my boons in all of the first area, but it quickly came together with the rail gun. I was sure my first escape would be with the shield, since there's a lot more room to chesee - but railgun has mad punishing power. Once again, went in with three death defiances and lost all of them to the final boss - but now the burden of just doing it once is off my shoulders, and I'm more apt to experiment.

It was attempt #30, though about five of those were purposefully cut short when I lost interest in my build and suicide'd early/mid game.

Folks - I don't hand out superlative language and super high praise for many games. I find myself to be supremely hard on most titles - AAA or indie. After 30+ years of life and most of those with a controller or keyboard & mouse in my hands, there's been so many exceptional games to compare to, and so many phenomenal releases that I had to backburner for other amazing releases. I can't believe I'm saying this - but Hades is an absolute work of art. A crowning achievement and surprisingly one of my Games of the Generation.

It's not quite on Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild levels - my two favorite games of this gen - but only because both those games have so much scope and had a more personal attachment. But it doesn't matter - to be spoken in the same breath as those games is as big a compliment as I can give Hades.

This game has it all.

Gorgeous, eye-catching art - that's consistent until the very, very end. Not a dull moment, visually. I love the environments, the items, the menus, the characters, the key art, the enemies.

The voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard. This is perfectly cast. One of maybe a half dozen games in my entire life I don't skip to the next text box once I've read it, because I want to hear the words spoken. This is MGS-levels of perfect casting.

The music - chef's kiss.

The main charcter is so great. I was sure this was gonna be some angst-filled emo or hard ass bullshit. It's none of that. The main hero is so likable. Filled with heart.

The gameplay - this is, leaps and bounds, SuperGiant's greatest playing game. It's a blast to control. It's razor precise. The momentum is just right. The combat loop is spectacular. The cycle of cast + attack + special + dash is so simple to understand but has layers and layers and layers to the execution. Add on Boons, and I'm sure we're gonna see some CRAZY builds and strategies uncovered over time.

Performance - I played 100% in handheld mode on Switch Lite - and while I do think I had quite a few difficult encounters more due to the lack of screen real estate and resolution, it ran great. 720p native res. 60fps or close to it the vast majority of the time. Some slowdown here and there in big battles - but as someone who normally rips games to shreds for wonky frame rates - this was very playable my entire 15-20 hours with it.

The story! It has a great story - that makes sense for this type of game. It's slowly peeled back - but its' really enjoyable - the cast of characters help.

And someone else posted it before - but this game, by allowing death to not be feared and instead progress the story - means that death = progress. And as someone with a full time job, a wife, kid, house, bills, etc. My game time is limited... and these games normally don't grab me, because after a 30 minute run and then dying, even if I may be improving a bit... I still feel I've wasted my finite gaming time. Not here, I always felt I was both improving, but also making progress. Story progress. Item and unlock progress. General progress in the zones.

... which takes me to the difficulty. What a fantastic difficulty ramp. Between general self-improvement, weapon unlocks, better boons over time, and mirror unlocks.... but with increasingly more difficult bosses.... this difficulty curve is just... sublime. I always struggled. I was always worried about dying. But I was making more and more progress. I persevered. I could get a bit better. I could do great but still fear death. This perfect balance.

I could keep going. I maybe will after I play some more. But for right now, I think I may pause for a bit, get back into Mario Galaxy (another amazing game) just for a break. But I'm there when cross save hits for PC with a double dip - can't wait to continue my story and experience it in 1440p/165hz.

I'm going to go 9/10. A few frustrations with the extra layer of randomness in the last dungeon, a bit too much reliance on "bullet hell" for difficulty, and the traps being slightly hard to read at times... and a desire for a couple more standard enemies. Some of the icons require memorization, and the menu system/descriptions were a bit confusing at times. But an amazing, must-play title nonetheless.

I'm really, really hopeful for further updates, though I've been told that's not the developer's style. But I'd kill for more, even if there is more story to uncover. A new zone. A new weapon here or there. And man what I'd do for co-op. But either way - no matter what - this is something special I'm going to remember for a very long time.

Love games like this.

For anyone who cares, my favorite games of this gen are Bloodborne, BoTW, God of War, Overwatch, Sonic Mania, and Persona 5. ... Hades joins that list, easily.

Last edited:

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
40 attempts. Gotten to Hades 4 times. Am consistently getting past Elysium now. It's the Temple of Styx tunnels that Doom me.

Also it's so cute that you gain a fan in the Elysium Coliseum. I make sure to say hi at the beginning and end of the fight.
The fan in the Coliseum is one of the funniest things in a game that is filled with gags and jokes for a mythology nerd.

I just keep wishing there would at some point emerge another one. Then another one. Just to piss off Theseus.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I know there is a God Mode for making escaping from Hades easier, but does this game have anything to speed up the story/character conversation progression and filling out the Codex?

I'm guessing not because that sort of defeats the design of the game. It's just that I'm really enjoying the story tidbits I'm getting but don't expect I'll end up sticking with the game long enough to see a lot of the content (despite liking the gameplay a lot).

If this doesn't exist, does anyone have an estimate for how many runs or how many hours it might take to see the biggest parts of the story and the characters' conversations? Or tips for how to see as much of the story as quickly as possible? I don't want to accidentally be very inefficient and working against myself without realizing it.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i have to go back and look at bastion again and see if there's any echoes of its combat in hades. i don't remember anything about the way that game played anymore

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I had an absolutely incredible build that I was ready to beat down Hades with. So I was very sad to see that I just skipped the final fight.

Haha, this happened to me yesterday when I was running around with an absolutely insane bow build (the lock-on/homing special aspect maxed, boon that gave special +6 arrows (for a total of 13, I think?) and a whole bunch of critical chance and damage boosting boons). I think I was dealing like 1000-1500 damage with each special. Was amped to absolutely destroy the final boss.

And then he just let me pass.

--

So yeah, finished the main story last night. Magnificent game.

But for what has to be the first time in my life, I have to say that I'm glad I wasn't into the story at all aside from the mysterious beginning (which was intriguing - why are we doing this, etc. - but I pretty much checked out after it became clear how the runs go as far as story goes). Cause now I haven't lost any motivation to keep playing, even though I've technically finished it. Usually I tend to lose interest in games after I finish the main story, which is frustrating when I want to do post-game content. I don't even know what it is, my subconscious just goes "well, that's that, time to move on to the next thing".

Looking forward to at least clearing the game once with each hidden aspect. I've only unlocked the spear one, not sure what to do now so I'll just keep raising the heat and playing the game and see if something happens.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in an early bit but lightning special boon on blitz shield seems fun

Got my first shield win today with this (and first back to back wins - up to 5 total now). Had lightning special on the blitz shield plus the lightning dodge and lighting rod. Just laughed the entire Hades fight because it was so broken.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My biggest issue right now is deflecting and dealing with projectiles in general. I suck at it. Any boons/builds you guys recommend looking for to learn with? I can get to Hades fairly reliably, but that second phase wrecks me. And I genuinely find the mini boss with 4 or 5 witches that all fire a ridiculous number of projectiles, in all directions at once, harder than some of the actual bosses.

Cast is mostly how I get through the final rooms quickly in the last stage. They can be devastating on clustered enemies. The base cast is good for the damage buff, but that's mostly effective only on bosses and mini bosses.
Yeah, took me a while to get into casts, but it all comes down to the boons you get, like whether you focus on attacks or specials too.

My fave cast setup so far was Zeus' chain lightning, paired with a legendary Hermes boon that let me hold cast to fire them all in quick succession and had cast tokens auto-return instantly on enemy death. That was insane for groups of enemies. I also quite like the Demeter cast too though, and would love to make a build around that.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Damn, just had to suspend a run where I was slowly becoming a god lol. I cheesed the minotaur like I never did. I'm using the spear and the various boons I got ended up giving an uber powerful special attack, with explosion, added quickness, aphro effect and crazy damage. Keeping enemies in check at a distance.
I hope it will go well when I'm able to resume the run later.
Just used one death defiance so far, maybe I'll be able to do something this time (37 attempts, still no clear, yeah I suck)

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

Real talk I felt cheated. It was going to be my first win with the shield. Had full health and had the Ares/Aphrodite duo boon that I was looking forward to abusing. If I had known ahead of time I would have sold everything before hand to buy the titan blood from Charon. :(

Anyway, if some of y'all want to see how crazy DPS stacks can get, here are some videos of particularly spicy builds I got with the gun and the lance. Both videos are of the final boss in Elysium, so be warned.

The gun build had the gas cloud from Dionysus which was merged with with Zeus to create lightning clouds. The clouds would stun and slow down enemies while also hitting them with lightning. This in turn left them completely open to the grenade launcher that was causing doom for even more extra damage. Also I had the hammer upgrade for the gun that caused an enemy in the crosshairs of the launcher to move 30% slower. They never had a chance.

The spear build was even more ridiculous. The thrown spear was upgraded with the hammer to explode upon impact and was combined with Zeus' boon to cause lightning to strike on impact. The cast was Ares' blade powered up by Artemis to have quick homing. As a bonus, another Zeus/Artemis combo boon made it so that the cast crystals on the floor would emit a lightning strike every second. And just for good measure, I also had the Zeus boon that caused a 40% chance for a second lightning bolt to hit after the first. Completely broken build. Also Artemis' Aid does an insane amount of damage.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I got to the credits after more than 25 hours.
What a lovely game, I had a ton of fun, the characters very compelling, and the story was great.

I'm kinda done right now, but I may feel the need for another run in a day or two.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
The fan's adorable. I love that there's a bunch of unique dialogue about it! The dialogue wasn't there until version 1.0.
It really is. The game is surprisingly funny and filled with details like it, which obviously is a lot of work so I'm not surprised to hear at least some of it wasn't added till 1.0.

Stuff like this makes me think about waiting for the full release of BG3 instead of playing early access.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I cant give ambrosia to any of my peeps that have a locked heart, the 4th aspect refuses to unlock even tho I've done what I'm supposed to do and this stupid lyre wont play, so I might be close to done for now. 40+ hours tho, hell of a game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
don't really understand this 4th spear aspect so well, particularly what the special does. the spinny death disks are cool though

Jan 10, 2018
I cant give ambrosia to any of my peeps that have a locked heart, the 4th aspect refuses to unlock even tho I've done what I'm supposed to do and this stupid lyre wont play, so I might be close to done for now. 40+ hours tho, hell of a game.

I'm in the same situation. Not sure why they thought that a quest system with rng was a good idea.

Oct 25, 2017
don't really understand this 4th spear aspect so well, particularly what the special does. the spinny death disks are cool though
The special is just a projectile (think of it like a small linear explosion). It's slower and stronger (similar but not on the same scale as the attack) and doesn't have the "call back" function. The hook is that each hit of the discs give you health to offset the HP penalty the spear carries.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that Minotaur.

The number one run killer.

40 runs and Elysium is still kicking my ass.

I feel like ass.