• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Finally strung together a good run with the gun and was hyping myself up for the boss but then ...
the credits
. So I guess I got a clear with the gun but that was pretty unsatisfying lol

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Had an amazing run with the fists.

The had the following boons:
  • Emit chain-lightning on attack
  • Special causes lighting to strike foes
  • Lightning causes jolted
  • Lightning bounces 4 times
  • Lightning causes enemies to be jolted
  • Increased special speed

EKoCjGc.jpeg

So I could pull enemies in with the magnet gloves and just melt them to death with combos and lightning and arrows shooting out everywhere. It was amazing.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Are Chaos powerups always worth it?
Depends how many chambers deep into a floor you are and what the rewards/cost are. Sometimes they're worth it sometimes not. Not being able to attack/special going into a boss fight is rough if that's what your build relies on or walking 53% slower could make for a tough fight etc.

For the damage% ones they're worth it if your base damage is high because it could give you a ton of DPS

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I have weapons with heated runs cleared but not default (like 3/4 runs back when I couldnt kill hades), thats just a waste of titans blood right there >_>

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Spent my first 8 blood in the shield. No respec option at all? Guess I'm stuck with this. I thought Chaos would be good, but the damage is pitiful. Seems like it needs doom to shine.

Kind of wish I just went with the face melting bow instead.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so how do you get the last trinket or whatever those things are called? the gifts you get. I'm only missing 1.

It's either
Hades or whoever the last character is I havent met
I guess.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Spent my first 8 blood in the shield. No respec option at all? Guess I'm stuck with this. I thought Chaos would be good, but the damage is pitiful. Seems like it needs doom to shine.

Kind of wish I just went with the face melting bow instead.
Chaos is considered really good, but I'd argue it's one of those builds that only becomes really good once you have it maxed out. You definitely don't need doom, since you want to hit with all the thrown shields at once for maximum damage (shotgunning them, essentially) and Doom doesn't stack unless you get an extra boon for that.

I'd say Zeus is the better shield aspect for lower blood investments, honestly. It does wonders with Zeus boons on the special.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Chaos is considered really good, but I'd argue it's one of those builds that only becomes really good once you have it maxed out. You definitely don't need doom, since you want to hit with all the thrown shields at once for maximum damage (shotgunning them, essentially) and Doom doesn't stack unless you get an extra boon for that.

I'd say Zeus is the better shield aspect for lower blood investments, honestly. It does wonders with Zeus boons on the special.
Should I just keep dumping blood into it or should I switch to something else?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Should I just keep dumping blood into it or should I switch to something else?

dumping blood into characterists of the weapon you are not going to use is kinda pointless btw, the blood buffs/changes specific aspects of it (the attack, the special, etc), it doesnt buff the weapon overall.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
so how do you get the last trinket or whatever those things are called? the gifts you get. I'm only missing 1.

It's either
Hades or whoever the last character is I havent met
I guess.

yeah you'll get it post-credits, so just keep going

speaking of which, i just hit credits. still gonna keep at it, i haven't got a shield run yet (dark thingy hasn't jumped to the shield yet in like 10 lives...)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
yeah you'll get it post-credits, so just keep going

speaking of which, i just hit credits. still gonna keep at it, i haven't got a shield run yet (dark thingy hasn't jumped to the shield yet in like 10 lives...)

fair enough. Im about to hit the credits myself without really trying (or wanting to?), I've just been clearing up no heat runs with the weapons I didnt do it with so not to waste the titant's blood you get from Hades /shrug

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Finally beat hades. Fuck that was so clutch. Love this game so much. So I'm assuming there is an actual real "ending"?

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think I'd ever get a more OP run than the bow with 10 seeking arrows inflicting chill but along came the gun with five rockets with knockback, rupture and bonus wall-hit damage every time I press the special button. Hades just melted under the firepower.

Jan 10, 2018
I've done like 50 runs now and I still can't get the hang of the Elysium fight. It just has so many elements that are hard to get the hang of. You're always on the edge of avoiding attacks but they hit you so consistently that the only think that's gonna save you is a lot of health. I just can't seem to understand the distance I have to put between myself and the boss in order to avoid attacks. It looks like I'm out of range but it still connects. I also have no idea where I should focus my eyes. There's barely any indiciation for when he pulls the bow and If I'm looking at the Minotaur at that moment that's enough to throw me off and get hit by the arrow.

I really, really dislike this fight. It brings into place everything that I have an issue with regarding the combat. Off-screen projectiles, long launches, immediate attacks with no charge-up, two enemies that are constantly doing two different things etc. It's all just feels so awful to go up against.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I've done like 50 runs now and I still can't get the hang of the Elysium fight. It just has so many elements that are hard to get the hang of. You're always on the edge of avoiding attacks but they hit you so consistently that the only think that's gonna save you is a lot of health. I just can't seem to understand the distance I have to put between myself and the boss in order to avoid attacks. It looks like I'm out of range but it still connects. I also have no idea where I should focus my eyes. There's barely any indiciation for when he pulls the bow and If I'm looking at the Minotaur at that moment that's enough to throw me off and get hit by the arrow.

I really, really dislike this fight. It brings into place everything that I have an issue with regarding the combat. Off-screen projectiles, long launches, immediate attacks with no charge-up, two enemies that are constantly doing two different things etc. It's all just feels so awful to go up against.

I thought that it always gives you a pink reticle when he's about to range attack you. The Minotaur also has a rhythm to his attack. I always just dodge until his last one and go ham. Lately I've been using the shield and it's sooo clutch with those guys. I abuse the block on that because like you said they're pretty relentless. And I always kill the Minotaur first

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that it always gives you a pink reticle when he's about to range attack you. The Minotaur also has a rhythm to his attack. I always just dodge until his last one and go ham. Lately I've been using the shield and it's sooo clutch with those guys. I abuse the block on that because like you said they're pretty relentless. And I always kill the Minotaur first

i always listen for the audio cue. I don't know why theseus is making lock-on noises (my head-canon is he's making them himself because he's a huge dork) but it's incredibly easy to avoid him most of the time.

Like the actual issue for the elysium fight for me right now is that it's boring because no matter what weapon I go in it's always 'kite the bull and ignore theseus, then beat the shit out of theseus'. Hoping the Heat modifier changes it up in an interesting way.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
i always listen for the audio cue. I don't know why theseus is making lock-on noises (my head-canon is he's making them himself because he's a huge dork) but it's incredibly easy to avoid him most of the time.

Like the actual issue for the elysium fight for me right now is that it's boring because no matter what weapon I go in it's always 'kite the bull and ignore theseus, then beat the shit out of theseus'. Hoping the Heat modifier changes it up in an interesting way.

oh it most certainly will

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
haha my strategy for the Elysium fight is basically go after Asterius while half-assedly trying to dodge but eating a lot of damage anyway and just scraping by.

it's worked...okay, but thank goodness for death defiance.

also - does anyone know what those "lock" symbols are on certain people's hearts (like Hades)? what do I gotta do?

Jan 10, 2018
Just unlocked a duo boon with Aphrodite and Zeus where my Call can be used like every 5 seconds at the penalty of only filling up 1/4. Sweet jesus this is powerful. My Call is epic rarity and I've upgrades it twice with pom. I barely have to use my regular attacks, this just melts everything.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
After 9 escapes (and finally one with the bow. Thanks, I'll never use you again) I wish there were a few more areas and less optional story stuff.
It's an awesome game, one of the best I played this year, but it started to feel like mindless grinding a few runs ago, even with the heat modifiers.
If supergiant decides to add some new levels as dlc, I would gladly pay for it.

Jethro

Oct 30, 2017
In the list of boons (by pressing the minus button on the switch) you can mark 5 of them by pressing the A-button. Does this have any other meaning except that these 5 are then displayed in detail on the right?

Loving the Game played over 70 hours already on Switch.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After 9 escapes (and finally one with the bow. Thanks, I'll never use you again) I wish there were a few more areas and less optional story stuff.
It's an awesome game, one of the best I played this year, but it started to feel like mindless grinding a few runs ago, even with the heat modifiers.
If supergiant decides to add some new levels as dlc, I would gladly pay for it.

I wasn't a fan of the bow either, but the Aspect of Chiron is pretty great. I used it to complete a 6 Heat run and it's now my most used weapon.

Hades-Chiron-2.jpg

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

Use summons immediately if you have them. Theseus arrow is easily dodged, you can either listen to the cue, or look at the reticle changing color, and if you are behind pillars, you're 100% safe.
If you have Ares/Athena's greater call ready when Theseus start using god's powers, use them. You are most certainly killing him at that point.
For bull, just wait for him to jump attack on you, then attack
Just unlocked a duo boon with Aphrodite and Zeus where my Call can be used like every 5 seconds at the penalty of only filling up 1/4. Sweet jesus this is powerful. My Call is epic rarity and I've upgrades it twice with pom. I barely have to use my regular attacks, this just melts everything.
I think depending on the Call you take? Which did you take, Zeus' or Artemis etc?
I tend to favor Athena and Ares, sometimes if I'm not so lucky I go for Aphrodite. Those calls work way better when you can greater call.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I lost the motivation after three escapes in 18 runs to going on with more... I think it is because I do not like at all the heat system: the incremental difficulty margings are pretty low (40 levels, seriously?!) and the challenge feels almost the same going from level 2 to 3 and so on. Yes, I could go directly to level 10 but the game doesn't incentivate that in any way... Since the rewards arrh the same.

in my opinion Dead Cells did this much better. Just five difficult levels but with a clear difficulty curve between them in top of new enemies introduced per level. I can target beating the game five times in five difficulties but I can't do the same with 40 difficulties in top of six weapons each. I know I am not expected to but not having a clear and manageable incentivation to progress is what doesnt motivate me in Hades.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I lost the motivation after three escapes in 18 runs to going on with more... I think it is because I do not like at all the heat system: the incremental difficulty margings are pretty low (40 levels, seriously?!) and the challenge feels almost the same going from level 2 to 3 and so on. Yes, I could go directly to level 10 but the game doesn't incentivate that in any way... Since the rewards arrh the same.

in my opinion Dead Cells did this much better. Just five difficult levels but with a clear difficulty curve between them in top of new enemies introduced per level. I can target beating the game five times in five difficulties but I can't do the same with 40 difficulties in top of six weapons each. I know I am not expected to but not having a clear and manageable incentivation to progress is what doesnt motivate me in Hades.

Because there are so many different (contextual) character (and god/boon) interactions, I think the idea was that you keep returning to the house to see progressively more of them. If there were just a few difficulty levels, and you could conceivably beat it in a handful of runs, that part of the game wouldn't need to be as complex as it is. I presume the average run in Dead Cells is also longer than Hades' 15-30 minutes.

I've got about 40 runs after the credits and I'm still seeing new stuff. Even boss battles have these micro-stories attached to them and sometimes even add new mechanics after many repeat runs, like the Theseus/Asterius battle.

But if it's the challenge you're after, you can still do it anyway. Conversely, you can also see just about everything at (repeat) low heat runs, which is nice for people who don't seek that challenge. I do agree it would've been nice if darkness/gem/titan blood room rewards were greater at higher heat. Even one extra titan blood would've been very welcome.

Maybe give extreme measures a try at least. Those are all very fun imo.

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two minor tips for people having trouble with the Elysium bosses: #1 priority is using the columns to block Theseus throws, and 75% of the time you want to dodge TOWARDS/through/under Asterius when he does a leaping attack.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people's infatuation with Athena's dash, it's fine but it's not like there's any extra i-frames in there, it's just you get to hit stuff back at things. I rarely take it, I prefer something that is more suited to easily proc-ing privileged status. Stuff like Demeter's is underrated in that respect.

The final sword aspects is so much more enjoyable to use than the other sword aspects. Aside from the joy of the final combo hit dealing 1500 damage with a crit on a build from Artemis, it has the same weaknesses that make the regular sword aspects bad in terms of having lots of non cancelable animations (and more of them), but also a ton of upsides that make it matter far less and you play into the risk reward of it more.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people's infatuation with Athena's dash, it's fine but it's not like there's any extra i-frames in there, it's just you get to hit stuff back at things. I rarely take it, I prefer something that is more suited to easily proc-ing privileged status. Stuff like Demeter's is underrated in that respect.

The final sword aspects is so much more enjoyable to use than the other sword aspects. Aside from the joy of the final combo hit dealing 1500 damage with a crit on a build from Artemis, it has the same weaknesses that make the regular sword aspects bad in terms of having lots of non cancelable animations (and more of them), but also a ton of upsides that make it matter far less and you play into the risk reward of it more.

Athena's dash makes evasion slightly more forgiving from my experience. While it doesn't directly add extra invincibility frames, you have this safe zone around you temporarily that reflects attacks that may have hit you once you get out of the dash animation and the attack travels a little further. The reflect doesn't kick in when a projectile or attack hits Zagreus but rather that little shield zone around him -- it seems. So in that way, it does appear to make dashing safer than before. I do agree that it's not necessarily the best dash boon, but it's very good for what it does, and it doesn't require a high rarity tier or further leveling for it to be super useful.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

it turns I-frames into deflect frames. So if you end up dashing in the same direction as an attack swing or projectile, you'd normally come out of your dash and eat the damage At the end. Instead the attack swing or projectile is deflected and no longer counts as incoming damage to hit you after the I-frames. It does tend to let you eat less damage after the dash because of it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

The long range attack has a really obvious pink reticule on you for at least a few seconds before it fires (on top of an audio cue). Its infinite distance but you should always have time to get behind a pillar so it doesn't hit you. The reticule position moves in a way that shows you exactly which direction he's in so you can position yourself right even if he's off screen.

The strategy is to just keep well away from him and dodge when you need to but mainly focus on Asterius. All of their attacks have charge up times and cues, Asterius always does a wind up before his wide swings and his leap, you should dodge to try and get behind him. Once Asterius is down you can focus on Thesius, wait for him to attack and then hit him in his back as he walks away after.

Oct 27, 2017
This game has really got me back into rogue likes, it's absolutely fantastic. Perfect for Switch as well. I think the connection of genuinely great unlocks and story entwines to great effect. Bought this on a whim and love it.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
it turns I-frames into deflect frames. So if you end up dashing in the same direction as an attack swing or projectile, you'd normally come out of your dash and eat the damage At the end. Instead the attack swing or projectile is deflected and no longer counts as incoming damage to hit you after the I-frames. It does tend to let you eat less damage after the dash because of it.
Yeah. It makes projectile heavy rooms a lot easier because you're not just dodging projectiles but removing them from the screen entirely. No chance of walking back into them. And deflection is just fantastic to have in general. It can destroy certain enemies.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone completed this minor prophecy?

The one where you have to beat Charon twice in a row. I thought I had, but it didn't register, so I'm guessing I must have missed an opportunity to fight in between the two fights I completed.

I wish there was a way to trigger the fight faster, because I've had many runs with no opportunity to do so.

After that, I'd say I've more or less done everything in the game outside of unlocking every last cosmetic for the House of Hades.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
im about to finish it / get the credits (I lost count of the runs last night, I must be at 8 or 9 clears or something), I actually haven't been playing it TO finish, just naturally happens as I'm trying to get the various clears with the different weapons, and two things:

1 - This is easily my GOTY, in fact, its one of those cases where as soon as I was playing it I knew nothing would top it. Last time this happened to me was... I guess MHW 2 years ago? That was an even more extreme case of it since it came out on February lol.

2 - I have very little of negative to say about the game, perhaps the biggest "issue" if one can call it that is there's only the 4 zones. A good example of comparison would be Dead Cells (another fantastic roguelike as we ll know), where you can choose to do multiple paths during a run with the different biomes (and you can even mix and match some of them), and the devs are STILL adding new biomes.

If Supergiant keeps adding to the game like some other roguelike devs do, this will certainly not be uninstalled anytime soon. A new zone, or especially a new weapon would open up a world of possibilities. We'll see what happens but for now, one of my favorite games in many years, so let me get back to it :)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone completed this minor prophecy?

The one where you have to beat Charon twice in a row. I thought I had, but it didn't register, so I'm guessing I must have missed an opportunity to fight in between the two fights I completed.

I wish there was a way to trigger the fight faster, because I've had many runs with no opportunity to do so.

After that, I'd say I've more or less done everything in the game outside of unlocking every last cosmetic for the House of Hades.

I'm trying my damndest to, but I just can't seem to get the event to pop up for me in Asphodel or Elysium for like like five runs now (probably even more times). Really bizarre.

Oct 25, 2017
haha my strategy for the Elysium fight is basically go after Asterius while half-assedly trying to dodge but eating a lot of damage anyway and just scraping by.

it's worked...okay, but thank goodness for death defiance.

also - does anyone know what those "lock" symbols are on certain people's hearts (like Hades)? what do I gotta do?
Depends on the character. For some you gotta finish their sidequest (which may require interacting with someone else), for some just keep interacting with them until a certain event. For Hades is post credits stuff.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
that's what I said - my understanding was that the six characters you can get gifts from require 15 ambrosia in total to max out. Not all characters that would be insane !

(Although I haven't been able to give a single character ambrosia so far. Every character is stuck with maxed nectar gifts and a locked heart...)
You said it takes 15 ambrosia per character - it doesn't, whether you're referring to just those 6 or any of them. I'm not even sure where you're getting that number from.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
LOL almost botched a heat 2 Rail run cause of cockyness, lost all my "lives" in the 4th zone >_<

still beat Hades tho but damn. Rocket rune is pretty much mandatory if you even want to use the special with the rail, its awesome (it was the first time I used it, the Rail was pretty much just a "attack" weapon until now for me).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You said it takes 15 ambrosia per character - it doesn't, whether you're referring to just those 6 or any of them. I'm not even sure where you're getting that number from.

It's 10 to level up those companions and then 3 to get to max affinity with those characters, if I recall right. So it'd be 13 then for those six, I guess? In any case, the last point into companions that gives you just one extra summon isn't really worth the cost of 5 ambrosia, considering you can pick up extra summons throughout your run for only 45 gold. Plus, that 10 ambrosia is a completely optional spend. You don't really get any extra dialog from maxing it, I believe.

Side note: no idea anymore what to tag as a spoiler or not. I feel like this is a pretty minor thing as it's (eventually) a core mechanic of the game, but just in case, I guess.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
It's 10 to level up those companions and then 3 to get to max affinity with those characters, if I recall right. So it'd be 13 then for those six, I guess? In any case, the last point into companions that gives you just one extra summon isn't really worth the cost of 5 ambrosia, considering you can pick up extra summons throughout your run for only 45 gold. Plus, that 10 ambrosia is a completely optional spend. You don't really get any extra dialog from maxing it, I believe.
Ohhh ok I get the misunderstanding, I thought that Maledict was referring to the amount of Ambrosia solely to level up the character's relationships, not the items they give you. "The six characters you can get gifts from require 15 ambrosia in total to max out" grammatically is referring to the characters themselves, and their initial post with the "15 per character" is replying to someone wanting to give away the Ambrosia to characters as well, hence my confusion.

So I think they're getting the 15 from thinking it's
1+2+3+4+5 for upgrading the item, but it's actually 1+2+3+4 (10) to upgrade because it starts at level 1 (maybe?).
I haven't paid much attention to that because like you said I don't think upgrading those past a point or two are worth it until you've used Ambrosia on all the character bonds/relationships.

Last edited: