• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
The story progresses whether you succeed or fail.

but its still random whether you get the dialogue or not. Doing 20-30 runs and only getting one piece of dialogue from a NPC who has is the bottleneck for like 3 stories is super frustrating.

If you were only interested in the story of a particular NPC and not just invested in the general world I can definitely see how you'd get annoyed really quick.

Oct 25, 2017
The story progresses whether you succeed or fail.
...I know? Yet you cannot guarantee, for instance, you are going to advance Thanatos story because his apparition is complete RNG. Or Sisyphus. And even if you already have started their events, the progress of it is RNG. It doesn't matter if you won in 10 minutes or failed in the last room of Styx.
Plus it leads to circumstances where you literally have to grind for progress, since it doesn't matter if you succeed or not, just that you do a run, thus leading to 1 room kills so you don't have to spend several days doing "normal" runs just to see the next "chapter" of story.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Sometimes when stars allign you get the right combination of boons that makes the Dash even better than you weapon, I had this Run where one lightning (two 54% of the time) would hit an area half as big as the screen whenever I'd dash dealing massive damage.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
It took 60-something runs, but I've discovered that I'm a certified Punch Boy.

The gloves are so good, especially Aspects of Talos. You get a solid combination of Special and Attack boons and things just evaporate in front of you.

Just unlocked the 4th though, so I'll see if I like that better.
I put some blood into the twin fists after reading this. Talos is pretty fun; managed to clear for the 2nd time with fists on that run. At the end I ended up with a decent dps build but i mainly used my fists to charge up my artemis call really fast

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
some of the boon combos are so strange lol. The crystal-loading bow + laser crystals = a bow that shoots crystals that spawn where-ever the impact zone is, i.e. nearly completely useless. Until I got the Dio/Demeter boon that made all the crystals shoot me which made it so the second they spawned as long as the enemy was between me and the crystals everything was extremely hunky-doory.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have given everyone 1 nectar each and received their keepsake, who should I concentrate on giving more to?

Oct 28, 2017
some of the boon combos are so strange lol. The crystal-loading bow + laser crystals = a bow that shoots crystals that spawn where-ever the impact zone is, i.e. nearly completely useless. Until I got the Dio/Demeter boon that made all the crystals shoot me which made it so the second they spawned as long as the enemy was between me and the crystals everything was extremely hunky-doory.

I recently got an interesting one (just unlocked the Cast loading bow), where the the bow is loaded with Blade Rifts and I had few boons which increased the Blade Rift size while pulling in enemies a bit.
Stacking 3 Blade Rifts in a bow arrow and shooting it was insane.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Started Hades tonight and got to what I have to assume is the final boss for the standard run after 7-ish runs. Dunno if you can look up those stats somewhere. Beat the 3rd boss first try and had to scrounge on the fourth floor so was in bad shape for that last boss. Enjoying it so far but since I'm so early in the runs, I have so little unlocked. Just working with what I've got so far.

Obviously I've seen it mentioned how story progresses and it's kinda detrimental to actually "finish" fast but I know there's a thing about finishing it multiple times so I'll be expanding things regardless of that. Haven't messed with the bow yet but I get the impression it's the most reliant on a specific build whereas the other weapons kinda work out of the box a bit better (of the ones I've unlocked).

It's still strong Supergiant storytelling and gameplay but so far it's not suuuuper blowing me away? I think maybe cause character interaction is so sparse and broken up. Also the combat legibility can get a bit haywire when there's a ton of enemies or a ton going on. Only two real nitpicks so far from playing for like 3 hours or however long I did.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I have given everyone 1 nectar each and received their keepsake, who should I concentrate on giving more to?
Whoever you want to get to know better. A few people will give you additional rewards after a certain amount of gifts, but I've never felt inclined to use those rewards.
Off the top of my head: Skelly, Dusa, Thanatos, Achilles. Maybe others? I forget.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I recently got an interesting one (just unlocked the Cast loading bow), where the the bow is loaded with Blade Rifts and I had few boons which increased the Blade Rift size while pulling in enemies a bit.

Those blade rifts are cool as fuck. Ares really up there in terms of gods. Pity about the personality, but really, who can't we say that about.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
22 atempts, only got Hades to phase 2 once.

Any fellow wannabe gods out there as bad as me? >_<

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Triple spear with that "hold button to attack repeatedly"-skill is like a machine gun, crazy. Made it to the third boss for the firts time with this combo.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
22 atempts, only got Hades to phase 2 once.

Any fellow wannabe gods out there as bad as me? >_<
yep, got my first clear after something like 35 runs.

But I did play mostly choosing the bonus-infused weapon and choosing boons that helped me fill out the prophecy lists. Recently paying more attention to crafting good builds I'm beating Hades pretty consistently.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
yep, got my first clear after something like 35 runs.

But I did play mostly choosing the bonus-infused weapon and choosing boons that helped me fill out the prophecy lists. Recently paying more attention to crafting good builds I'm beating Hades pretty consistently.

im doing the exact same thing lol. I bet if Is tuck with 1 weapon, like my favorite, I would have cleared 1 run by now. Oh well I dont mind anyway, was just curious :D

edit: oh finished my first bond, with Charon heh. No idea what that means lol.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I really can not get past Theseus and Minotaur. Any tips? I'm currently using fists. No particular build, still not 100% on which rooms to go into. I usually do the health one and the power one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really can not get past Theseus and Minotaur. Any tips? I'm currently using fists. No particular build, still not 100% on which rooms to go into. I usually do the health one and the power one.

Focus on Asterius first and keep an eye on the reticle above Zag when Theseus targets you. When it becomes a darker hue of pink is when you need to get behind something or evade. Don't forget to keep a cast planted in Asterius. Presuming you have the relevant mirror upgrade, it will give you a significant damage boost while it's on him. When it's just you and Theseus, I prefer staying in his melee range and bait out his spin attack, which can be evaded by dodging 'into' him once or twice as the circle appears that signals the attack. He will then stand there for a second with his back to you. Repeat until he dies. Alternatively, after he throws his spear, he will always walk away in the opposite direction he was facing, so you can get into position for a few backstabs then.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes when stars allign you get the right combination of boons that makes the Dash even better than you weapon, I had this Run where one lightning (two 54% of the time) would hit an area half as big as the screen whenever I'd dash dealing massive damage.
Blade Rift dash is basically this. It feels to me like they've reduced the frequency of Ares in general and his blade rift dash/buffs specifically. My first clear of Elysium (before Styx/Hades was in the game) came on a blade rift dash build where I had increased diameter on a purple blade rift dash that I'd gotten to level 5 or so, including a vortex modifier that pulled enemies in. Attacking was an option and everything just melted.

The cast loading bow works really well with AoE casts. Dionysus' festive fog is not generally one of my favorite casts but having the load on it works really well.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I am surprised everyone dislikes the gun so much. For me, it's by far the most OP weapon.

Maybe not that much fun, but it shreds.

Rail is like autopilot for me thus far, I haven't lost with it yet. Even with some bad choices I'm confident I can squeak through. I just find the way it plays to be very accessible, bouncing chill is also fun.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Oh MY GOD! You're telling me there's an Ice boon that makes enemies die when they are at 10% health left and it APPLIES TO BOSSES?

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I "finished" it! Meaning I got the credits and
Persephone is back home
. But I get the feeling that the story isnt finished since Zagreus' codex entry isnt done? also I know theres all the character bonding and side quests to do.

Also, is there
romance or just friendships? I keep hearing theres romance but I dont see that yet?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
what happens if you
"borrow" Charon's gold?

edit: oh shit I did it lol >_<

edit2: oh shit son, is this
membership card
permanent or just for the run? :o

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I really hope someone eventually makes a compilation of all the duo boon interactions on YouTube. I just saw my first Poseidon/Zeus one and it was hilarious. (Their duo boon is also ridiculously cool if you're rocking a knockback build.)

Oct 27, 2017
what happens if you
"borrow" Charon's gold?

He fucks you up.

I really hope someone eventually makes a compilation of all the duo boon interactions on YouTube. I just saw my first Poseidon/Zeus one and it was hilarious. (Their duo boon is also ridiculously cool if you're rocking a knockback build.)

That on auto attack spear is the most broken thing I've built yet. Was actually dumb.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Exactly what .exe said, but also if you have a decent call like Aphro or Artemis, save it up until Theseus on his own is down to 50% and starts spamming the god's attacks, greater Aphro call can almost one shot that last section.

Mur dur Zurr?

what happens if you
"borrow" Charon's gold?

edit2: oh shit son, is this
membership card
permanent or just for the run? :o
I stumbled upon this in Tartarus and every wave attack took a DD. F

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
took me 23 runs to finally beat a run... and then imediatly beat a second run with
Heat 1
after.

e3544b8117d3ecbb0cb8751f1ce0ff71.gif

so question.
The 10 runs you need to the ending / credits, can they be done on Heat 0? Not that I want to play like that, seems pointless tbh, especially when some of the heat modifiers are easy to deal with and you get the bounties, but I'm just curious.

Just for the run, unfortunately.

boooo not worth it then, I almost died to get it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I finally ran across Eurydice in my runs last night and she is my favorite character design thus far.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
What was that blood thing to buy right before the final boss (I assume)? It was way too expensive and I didn't have enough for it.

Also, at that final part should I do all the rooms? I only did the rooms until I found the bag for the dog. I'm wondering if I need to do them all for the true ending or something

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
What was that blood thing to buy right before the final boss (I assume)? It was way too expensive and I didn't have enough for it.

Also, at that final part should I do all the rooms? I only did the rooms until I found the bag for the dog. I'm wondering if I need to do them all for the true ending or something
That's Titan Blood, used to upgrade your weapons (and aspects).

No you only need to do them until you get the bag, they're there if you want the reward before you go against the final boss.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

its the same blood you get from killing the first boss with each weapon, used to upgrade said weapons

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

How many rooms you do just depends on your appetite for risk versus reward. It has no effect on any dialogue or ending.

When I first stared getting there I would only do the minimum number of rooms, but now I clear them all for the added power.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Rhaknar Its not dependent upon heat level.

thats good for people that want the full story but don't want the extra challenge, another good decision by SG.

speaking of heat (no seriously, can we just speak freely about it at this point? its pretty much a standard RL mechanic), it seems pointless to even do more than +1 unless you already have the +1 rewards with that weapon correct?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it seems like everything apart from knock back works on bosses. Including Apphrodites charm, which gets very weird when you have her super boon and a 15% chance to charm on your auto attack.

Final boss spent half the fight running round in circles.

Jan 10, 2018
I find it really fun to just fool around with lots of different boons. All the guides you look up are encouraging you to "avoid this" and "go with this" but if you're having fun experimenting then almost anything feels viable.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
even knockback can damage bosses with that additional Poseidon boon tho right? Worth it just to take out my frustration in Styx every once in awhile on a surf n' slam run.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Hades coming to Xbox or Playstation? looks great, but not the sort of game I want to play on my PC and I dont want to play this on the switch with the terrible joycon or procontroller.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Credits rolled earlier. I then completed one more run to check some extra dialogue.

Great game, though I'm done with it now. Very little interest in returning to it unless they add significant content/DLC. All up I had about 25 runs in total. Once I got my first couple of wins, it became much easier. Though, I only got heat to 3 and never used the one that gave bosses new abilities.

I was impressed by the bread crumb nature of the story. The way it gave you a little more each time made it feel less repetitive. However, I thought the story and ending were disappointing. I was really expecting alot more given the context, characters and dialogue that seemed to indicate something big was coming. It wasn't awful, but I thought
it really fizzled out after showing alot of potential.

Enjoyed most of the weapons. They can all feel broken with the right combination of aspects and boons. However, my easiest wins were with the spear. A good knockback + range/spread buff made 99% of fights trivial. Everything else was just icing on the cake. In contrast, I found the Fists to be the worst weapon. Fun to use, but the damage output was pretty bad against the bosses. My last run was much better though, thanks to some good Doom boons and a big focus on powering the dash attack.

That said, I became less and less impressed with the combat as I played. It really felt like 95% of the time, I was using basic attack and dodge. There was limited use cases for specials and cast abilities. Which is not say that I didn't use or enjoy them - but realistically, I felt that specials/casts were a 'nice to have' , and generally didn't feel that useful.

Overall though, it was great. I'd definitely be interested in solid DLC or a sequel. Loved the art style, music, enemies, level design and character dialogue. The game also gave you a decent amount of stuff to do between runs. Just really solid and consistent across the board.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Beat the game for the first time yesterday, took me like 20 tries, did it with the bow.
Got the boon that turns my cast into a ice turret, thought it was shit, but didn't get a chance to purge it. In the end, it dealt a ton of damage on the last boss lmao. Ended up with 10 hp on the last health bar too.

Great game, Supergiant keeping the streak going. Will probably take some time off before going back to it.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I love how with the right combination of boons, you can make any weapon feel broken.

Just had a super fun run with Aspect of Zeus shield with Zeus on special, and then randomly ended up getting the Artemis/Zeus and Dionysus/Zeus duo boons (took me until late Elysium to get Jolted though, which was a bit annoying), I was just melting things. Hades didn't stand a chance. Similarly, the run before I had a fun Aspect of Achilles spear build, focusing on Hunting Blades. Obviously it was broken because Hunting Blades + Achilles bonus, but with Artemis on attack I really didn't even need Hunting Blades, I was doing so much damage with just my attack. I honestly kinda felt bad for dear old dad that time.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
tried a bow run and got a hammer. all 3 of the upgrades were for the main attack so i grabbed the one that does explosives... what a brutal and not fun run :(
Is that the one that makes the attack super slow? Worst bow upgrade.
I ruined a bow run myself grabbing this in Elysium.
From the very start I got the hammer upgrade that speeds up and makes the charge shot window even easier
So I saw this and thought, "sweet, my previous upgrade should offset the apparent slowness of the charge...."

Yeah, that didn't happen, tanked my fun completely.