• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
7CdjeGg.jpg

Finally managed to beat Hades with this build. Loved that Draining Cutter, really helped in the last stage with all those rats.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adamant Rail is busted with the right upgrades. Bow has a few solid boon lines too. I wouldn't worry too much.

Yeah, it is. But it's also fucking AWFUL if you don't get the right hammers. I hate playing with it. If you get the wrong hammer might as well kill the run because it's going to be slooow.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i keep being surprised at how many fucked up builds you can bring all the way to Hades. I just had a rather shitty punch build with mag-upper + poseidan dash get all the way to second form hades. Mag is interesting but I kind of gimped it by taking the hammer upgrade to make the atk special a 3-hit combo with 35 base damage which... kinda sucked for DPS. Still, didn't do too badly considering it was kind of a slow build.

I wouldn't even attack with that aspect. Just buff special and spam it. If you get behind an enemy you just keep pulling them into backstabs and they can't get out. You can pull enemies from behind obstacles and get wall damage. Get Demeter on special and like Aphrodite dash. On lower-ish heat you'll demolish everything no problem.

If you want to attack, unlock the final aspect for Sword and Fist (though it's really more dash-strike lol)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even attack with that aspect. Just buff special and spam it. If you get behind an enemy you just keep pulling them into backstabs and they can't get out. You can pull enemies from behind obstacles and get wall damage. Get Demeter on special and like Aphrodite dash. On lower-ish heat you'll demolish everything no problem.

If you want to attack, unlock the final aspect for Sword and Fist (though it's really more dash-strike lol)

i tend to get whatever fated option is there since i'm still filling out the list, so i end up with suboptimal upgrades a lot haha

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
I'm not entirely sure how relationships work but I've gotten Than and Meg to the locked heart with one conversation left for each of them to progress, Zag's just out here leading the whole house on.

I just wanna get tree gal and sad poet back together but it's slow going. Patro can rot, rude ass.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Finally beat the last boss on my 31st run after about 10 tries at them. I used the spear with a build based around dash attacks with the triple-strike deadalus effect. Didn't touch the special at all throughout the run. The crystal laser cast was helpful but really it was all about the triple-hit dash-attack. That thing is crazy. I was one run or so away from turning on god mode. I still might to finish out the game.

Last edited:

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
I've beaten the game with all weapons but the bow. Unfortunately, trying to fill this gap puts a dent in my enjoyment of the game, as that lame excuse for a weapon is just pure garbage.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it can be made powerful, but no boon managed to make it enjoyable to use for me. All the runs I had with it were downright boring, and I'd like to think I failed them because I lost interest halfway through.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it can be made powerful, but no boon managed to make it enjoyable to use for me. All the runs I had with it were downright boring, and I'd like to think I failed them because I lost interest halfway through.
My successes with it have pretty much always come from making a build around the special, even if you're not using the Chrion aspect you can still dash in and unload an entire special flurry into a single enemy for a lot of damage. Use the regular attack for debuff/ knockback and stack as much damage on the special as you can. Demeter boon for the special is my favourite, its a huge damage buff and chills enemies super quick.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's amusing how poison is the worst thing in the game. Because the damage stacks and the rooms you fight in suck hard.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I found that the key to the bow is to get accustomed to the timings of the dodge attack. It charges quicker than the regular attacks. Until I got the hang of that I was having a miserable time with it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just wanna get tree gal and sad poet back together but it's slow going. Patro can rot, rude ass.

I hear you, hahah. I already got Orphy and Euri together, so satisfying. :)

Patroclus can go screw himself, but I like Achilles so I'll do it for him.

I'm not a huge fan of the bow in general, but Chiron's aspect is pretty awesome. I guess it's probably an indictment on the bow that it's most fun when you pretty much don't use its attack except to mark enemies...

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The rail is such a bad weapon out the gate. Low damage, low clip size, animation locks you when your clip runs out until you stop firing, the grenade floats like a deflated balloon when you fire. It's the only weapon in the game where I actually wasn't able to complete a timed chest. Meet Thanatos? Forget about it, might as well sit back and let him take care of the room.

Only weapon where I dedicate a fated authority just for when I get a hammer.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
At the moment, the bow and lance are my favorite weapons, also , I always talk to and pet Cerberus everytime I respawn after dying.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Im gabrage at the game but I still love it. Only got to Hades once, and didnt beat him. Otherwise I usually get stomped by the duo, I still don't have them down at all. Ive done about 15 or 16 runs so yeah I'm trash. Oh well, its fun to slowly get all the narrative anyway.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
out of all the roguelikes I've played , I would place this at number 3 with Isaac at 1 and Gungeon at 2 (though Gungeon sometimes beats out Isaac), and no I don't like Spelunky :P

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing how poison is the worst thing in the game. Because the damage stacks and the rooms you fight in suck hard.

YES! I've failed many times to those damn chambers. I'd get to that area somewhat easily then lose because of poison, so frustrating. Those areas make me nervous every time.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The adrenaline was unreal, but I was able to beat the powered up last boss on my first try, hell yeah!
My kit:

And when I came back, I finally was able to unlock the hidden aspect of the spear, so that was pretty lucky as well.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I think my one major complaint with this excellent, addictive game is that Styx is significantly weaker than the first three levels.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten the game with all weapons but the bow. Unfortunately, trying to fill this gap puts a dent in my enjoyment of the game, as that lame excuse for a weapon is just pure garbage.

dash + special. DPS through the roof.

YES! I've failed many times to those damn chambers. I'd get to that area somewhat easily then lose because of poison, so frustrating. Those areas make me nervous every time.

the rats scare the shit out of me lol. shaky bastards. the satyrs aren't much better

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I have always neglected Calls in general and didn't ever really invest much in them, but I've had to 2 runs that were basically won using them.

Artemis call upgraded to Lv. 6 and although my actual build sucked and probably didn't have enough damage to win, when I did a full call, it took 1/2 of Hades health. Managed to build another full call in the second form which also took the last 1/2 of his health.

Another run I had Athena's call upgraded to lv 6, which gave 3.7 seconds of invulnerability. It was actually quite useful in standard encounters anytime where it felt like I might take damage. I also had it paired with boons that increased God gauge gain and gauge starting amount. It was kind of ridiculous how often I could use it and how long it would last.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow just got the most insane combo of abilities yet.

Bow+Relentless volley (special fires 4 extra shots)
Frost Flourish (special inflicts chill)
Arctic blast (applying 10 chill causes a blast)

Absolutely melted the hydra, his buddy hydras basically got 2-shotted.
I love that Relentless Volley thing. I had it combined with the bow aspect that makes all arrows from the special home in on one enemy. The DPS is ridiculous.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not excusing my lack of skill as Ive already said im pretty shit, but playing this portable does seem to make the game harder tbh, a lot of the time Im not even sure what hits me. Like I just died to Hades (yay got to him again at least) and I honestly couldnt even tell the radius of his giant spin attack with everything else going on.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Question about an optional boss fight
I accidentally triggered a fight with Charon 4 rooms into a run today that I didn't know could happen and obviously got destroyed, breaking my clear streak. Does this fight scale as the game goes on, or is it the same fight no matter how far into the run you trigger it? And is there a way to get the "borrow money" option to appear more often, to trigger the fight?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I accidentally triggered a fight with Charon 4 rooms into a run today that I didn't know could happen and obviously got destroyed, breaking my clear streak. Does this fight scale as the game goes on, or is it the same fight no matter how far into the run you trigger it? And is there a way to get the "borrow money" option to appear more often, to trigger the fight?
I thing the trigger is completely random, but the fight doesn't scale. I just destroyed him super quickly in the second area, because I had a good kit. The reward itself isn't >that< amazing too, so I probably won't be doing it any more.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

Death comes for us all.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I thing the trigger is completely random, but the fight doesn't scale. I just destroyed him super quickly in the second area, because I had a good kit. The reward itself isn't >that< amazing too, so I probably won't be doing it any more.

Thanks! I probably missed it a few times prior not even noticing it was there- i'll keep an eye out for it more

Death comes for us all.

I think the best part was getting back home and Hypnos going "wow, really, that happened? what on earth could you have done to cause that?!?" and Hades going "You stupid motherfucker, you absolute dumbass"

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I have always neglected Calls in general and didn't ever really invest much in them, but I've had to 2 runs that were basically won using them.

Artemis call upgraded to Lv. 6 and although my actual build sucked and probably didn't have enough damage to win, when I did a full call, it took 1/2 of Hades health. Managed to build another full call in the second form which also took the last 1/2 of his health.

Another run I had Athena's call upgraded to lv 6, which gave 3.7 seconds of invulnerability. It was actually quite useful in standard encounters anytime where it felt like I might take damage. I also had it paired with boons that increased God gauge gain and gauge starting amount. It was kind of ridiculous how often I could use it and how long it would last.

gotta get used to using all the tools in your toolbox. I'm actually glad there's a big popup when my guage is full because it's the only reason I use it sometimes. Also glad it meter drains every encounter so I don't feel bad popping it whenever I get it

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
does anyone else play with mouse + keyboard
Can't imagine anyone doing that, gonna have a carpal tunnel after a single run.
The key to clearing those rooms fast and easier is choosing your Casts properly. If you use Dionysius blob, you better have another good aoe on your weapon. If you use Aphrodite's cast... well good luck.
Using Ares, Zeus, and sometimes even Demeter will make easy work on it.
Enter room, immediately unload all your Casts and run away or do your aoe special. Then you should be able to clear them relatively fast.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
aphrodite shotgun isn't that bad for that place. Worst is like, artemis seeker or something without some other AOE backup (demeter AOE around you, aphrodite enemies pop on death etc). fuckin rat swarms.

that said, worst time post First Complete Run I had there was with the Railgun on shotgun mode and aphrodite shotgun for cast. That was a bad time, lost two death defies in there.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Am I doing something wrong here? Or not getting an aspect of the game right? I think I'm up to 7-8 runs and could only get up to the minotaur boss fight. It's super tough. Granted I'm fairly new to rogue likes (only ever played Into The Breach), but reading how people have gotten clears at lesser runs than that makes me feel like quite an anomaly lol. And also, the game is getting actually harder now as I do more runs? Even though I didn't even reach farther than my previous runs. Feeling a bit annoyed to be honest.
I'm 30 runs in and have only beaten Elysium once. My partner is 12 runs in and has only beaten Meg once.

Everyone goes at their own pace. This game is more about the journey than the destination.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Got the fourth aspect available for the spear(my first one actually), just need another Titan blood for it, then I'll give it a go. Not sure what keepsake I'll use for that one, any suggestions? Also how do I get the 6 key things in keepsakes? Just keep talking and giving nectar to certain characters?

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
It's blowing my mind that I'm now at 80% godhood (max), a shitload of upgrades, and still cannot beat the game after my accidental win on my 3rd run or so when I had no clue what I was doing, zero resistance, and zero permanent upgrades. I just don't get it.

Also, Charon completely annihilates me every time, even with all my death defiances, 80% godhood, and what I think is a solid build I barely do damage to him.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
It's blowing my mind that I'm now at 80% godhood (max), a shitload of upgrades, and still cannot beat the game after my accidental win on my 3rd run or so when I had no clue what I was doing, zero resistance, and zero permanent upgrades. I just don't get it.

I was up to 54% when I finally decided to turn it off, and then beat Hades on the second or third run without it. I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, but I started playing way more careful and strategic once I lost the damage reduction

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Killed myself in tartarus 8 times in a row this morning just to get Achilles to give me that fucking aspect. Like jeez dude, I met the condition like 20 hours ago.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried it but it seems like it has its benefits over gamepad - I imagine you have way more control when dash striking and can target foes much easier with bow and rail while turning off aim assist to avoid hitting unintentional targets.

It just feels too damn good on controller though that I haven't even considered it, even if I occasionally shoot something I didn't want to.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've done 50-something runs, taken just about every opportunity to enter Chaos gates but haven't encountered a fishing spot in Chaos's realm a single time. In fact, in 100-something hours, I've seen it exactly once.

I just want to fill out the codex, but at this rate that's never gonna happen D:

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried it but it seems like it has its benefits over gamepad - I imagine you have way more control when dash striking and can target foes much easier with bow and rail while turning off aim assist to avoid hitting unintentional targets.

It just feels too damn good on controller though that I haven't even considered it, even if I occasionally shoot something I didn't want to.

I've tried to switch to controller but at this point I think it's too late. It feels OK, although sometimes Special on Q is pretty hard to hit while constantly moving.

The target thing is actually somewhat of an issue because while it'll lock onto a target, a slight adjustment or an enemy moving will quickly 'unlock' it and cause it to miss.