• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Just had a run with the Fists that wasnt OP, in fact it was actually not super great at all, but the power combination amused me. I got the Poseidon boon on my Special, which already had Magnetic Cutter on it, so I ended up playing stunlock Yo-Yo with every enemy by drawing them in then knocking them away ad nauseam. It was really dumb but kinda hilarious.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main quest, I'm wondering something..

Wow, the whole thing feels very underwhelming. It's great Persphone is back, but all the epic stuff hinted at like a war with Olympus and Demeter pretty much seems thrown out for now. No new enemies, Olympus god bosses, or anything interesting. Same old zones, same enemies, bosses and you even fight Hades again. Very disappointing. Been a long time since I got my 4th weapon aspect too (Guan Yu), no new one since. Game is getting very repetitive now

I hope I'm wrong.

Aeglos

Oct 26, 2017
Had a perfect run with Chaos Shield and got an 11m15s time. Two weapons left in my goal of getting everything sub 15min: Bow and Rail. Not looking forward to either.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
At a certain point, nectar is no longer a problem because you can trade 5 keys for a nectar. (And trade 10 gems for a key.)

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Had a perfect run with Chaos Shield and got an 11m15s time. Two weapons left in my goal of getting everything sub 15min: Bow and Rail. Not looking forward to either.

Adamant Rail is busted with the right upgrades. Bow has a few solid boon lines too. I wouldn't worry too much.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Had an absolutely fantastic Crystal Beam build with Glacial Glare for chill, Crystal Clarity duo that improves tracking and Fully Loaded for extra casts. No hiding from my lasers!

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I had an amazing crystal beam setup going all through my run and then I fucked it by taking the perk that directs them all back at yourself. I didn't understand from the description what it did so I thought what the hades I'll give it a go. Completely ballsed up the final fight, didn't know where to put myself!

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Had an absolutely fantastic Crystal Beam build with Glacial Glare for chill, Crystal Clarity duo that improves tracking and Fully Loaded for extra casts. No hiding from my lasers!

That's satisfying! That duo boon makes all the difference. Since Hades is so mobile most of the time I find it tough to keep the default crystals on him. I had the Dem+Aph duo boon instead once but that's way more awkward to use.

I had an amazing crystal beam setup going all through my run and then I fucked it by taking the perk that directs them all back at yourself. I didn't understand from the description what it did so I thought what the hades I'll give it a go. Completely ballsed up the final fight, didn't know where to put myself!

Yeah I don't like it much either. I think in theory it could be great to drop in front of him then use as you back-attack but I found he was just too mobile and my positioning wasn't good enough.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the main quest, I'm wondering something..

Wow, the whole thing feels very underwhelming. It's great Persphone is back, but all the epic stuff hinted at like a war with Olympus and Demeter pretty much seems thrown out for now. No new enemies, Olympus god bosses, or anything interesting. Same old zones, same enemies, bosses and you even fight Hades again. Very disappointing. Been a long time since I got my 4th weapon aspect too (Guan Yu), no new one since. Game is getting very repetitive now

I hope I'm wrong.
...How many hours did you put in before hitting credits? You say "main quest" like you expected way more content, but it's not a 100+ hour long RPG. You cleared it a bunch of times and hit credits, and while there's definitely some surprises post-game (much more than I expected), you finished it and experienced most of what's on offer. You beat it.

I can understand expecting some more variety or a more epic conclusion or whatever, but it sounds like you wanted two games in one. Or something that's drastically beyond the scope of what is already a pretty ambitious rougelite with a lot of replayability, one that you already spent so much time in.

Aeglos

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of build did you rock with the shield for that?
l9fy3wtupcq51.png
I modeled my run after this video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWHNkkR0sHY.

Essential for this run was the Dashing Flight hammer upgrade, Zeus on Special, Poseidon on Dash, then exploit Zeus+Poseidon duos. Then you just spam Dash+Special over and over again and watch everything get nuked.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
...How many hours did you put in before hitting credits? You say "main quest" like you expected way more content, but it's not a 100+ hour long RPG. You cleared it a bunch of times and hit credits, and while there's definitely some surprises post-game (much more than I expected), you finished it and experienced most of what's on offer. You beat it.

I can understand expecting some more variety or a more epic conclusion or whatever, but it sounds like you wanted two games in one. Or something that's drastically beyond the scope of what is already a pretty ambitious rougelite with a lot of replayability, one that you already spent so much time in.

I have no problem being left wanting more, but when you tease this much and set the stakes that high, you have to deliver. Just a really weak way to end a fantastic experience, and throw that great foreshadowing out the window. The game deserved far better, a proper final arc.

Took me around 38 hours btw!

Last edited:

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop my run because I was over-extending my lunch, but this is the one where I beat Hades, I can feel. Using the Poseidon aspected sword, with a chaos and poseidon boon strengthening the special that pops back out my Zeus cast. I also have the triple dodge strengthened by Poseidon with rupture damage and big blasts when enemies hit walls. I'm just entering Erebus and haven't been hit since I upgraded my dash, feels like a solid build and can't wait to see it work out tonight!

It did not work out.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten to the point where I consistently get to hades every run and have died to him like four times in a row now. Suuuuucks.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
On paper I thought the following should've been a blast

The gun with...
- Deflect and by the end plus 100% damage (this number sounded way better in my head, I am very easily tricked by percentage)
- each shot pings a rebound to other enemies nearby
- Weak inflicting grenade
- Charm call
- Artemis support fire for every shot
- Laser beam cast
- Crit boost

And a few other tidibits like frost dash and other weak based boons

You like hearing about dope builds? well friends let me tell you about TRASH builds

Instead I actually got my least favourite run of the entire game, when I hit Elysium it became abundantly clear that my DPS was absolute piss, I was kinda shocked, in my desperation I was pushing every bit of boost to that base attack despite the diminishing returns.
You'd think that the sheer amount of ranged devastation and support fire from technically three other sources would be like a roaming fortress of giddy projectile vomit.
I even got an upgrade that was supposed to increase armour damage and pierce on the standard attack and boy you could've fooled me.

By the time I was in the styx, every encounter (that wasn't just mini rats) was SO TEDIOUS and long, on top of everything else my entire gambit with the deflect shot fails because aside from the narrow range of each individual shot making it very specific and capable of even missing things flying right in front of you, there's the auto aim snap that means you don't even get the aim of your own decision to say sweep your shot or even target the right direction.

the damage was so sad, that I was glad papa Hades dunked me back to the bottom, it's what I deserve, I can't imagine experiencing a worse build.
My only hope was that the triple spread shot would turn up in a hammer, it did not.

...oh and I briefly got the Aphrodite and Demeter duo boon that makes the laser crystal cast track you, I figured there might be some cool application to this but hahaha, nope, easiest 400 coins back at the blood fountain I've ever made and if there's a worse duo ability I'll be impressed because that's only gonna be good on stationary foes and stationary you

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem being left wanting more, but when you tease this much and set the stakes that high, you have to deliver. Just a really weak way to end a fantastic experience, and throw that great foreshadowing out the window. The game deserved far better, a proper final arc.

Took me around 38 hours btw!
They didn't tease anything that you were suggesting, having a backdrop and stakes to a story doesn't mean the thing people are worrying about will actually happen in the game. Its unrealistic to expect anything hugely different given the genre, in fact this game already mixes it up a lot more than most with the narrative and dialogue.

Just had a run with the Fists that wasnt OP, in fact it was actually not super great at all, but the power combination amused me. I got the Poseidon boon on my Special, which already had Magnetic Cutter on it, so I ended up playing stunlock Yo-Yo with every enemy by drawing them in then knocking them away ad nauseam. It was really dumb but kinda hilarious.
Lol I had the same thing before, it was very odd and yeah not particularly powerful. It was the closest I've come to a loss in a while but I still just scraped by Hades.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
The shield is probably the strongest weapon in the game, until you reach the last boss and it suddenly becomes trash.

There's just no way to keep an attack up with that thing without getting your face beat in.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
God I'm so bad at this game. I somehow beat it twice in a row and haven't gotten close in the last 18 runs :(. I just want some titan's blood. pls game

Oct 25, 2017
God I'm so bad at this game. I somehow beat it twice in a row and haven't gotten close in the last 18 runs :(. I just want some titan's blood. pls game
If you have beaten it already you can just swap weapons and bet Meg for some easy blood?

I can't beat Meg the second time and I feel like I'm doin something wrong.

Is there a good starter build?
There's so little to work with both when you are starting + how much you'll probably have in the first area, you should work on your understanding of her pattern, to hit her more while getting hit less.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't beat Meg the second time and I feel like I'm doin something wrong.

Is there a good starter build?
Anything with deflect is generally quite good against her, so go for Athena boons. Or just equip the Athena keepsake to guarantee yourself an Athena boon.

Then just try and deflect as many of Meg's shots as you can for huge chunk damage.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
On paper I thought the following should've been a blast

The gun with...
- Deflect and by the end plus 100% damage (this number sounded way better in my head, I am very easily tricked by percentage)
- each shot pings a rebound to other enemies nearby
- Weak inflicting grenade
- Charm call
- Artemis support fire for every shot
- Laser beam cast
- Crit boost

And a few other tidibits like frost dash and other weak based boons

You like hearing about dope builds? well friends let me tell you about TRASH builds

Instead I actually got my least favourite run of the entire game, when I hit Elysium it became abundantly clear that my DPS was absolute piss, I was kinda shocked, in my desperation I was pushing every bit of boost to that base attack despite the diminishing returns.
You'd think that the sheer amount of ranged devastation and support fire from technically three other sources would be like a roaming fortress of giddy projectile vomit.
I even got an upgrade that was supposed to increase armour damage and pierce on the standard attack and boy you could've fooled me.

By the time I was in the styx, every encounter (that wasn't just mini rats) was SO TEDIOUS and long, on top of everything else my entire gambit with the deflect shot fails because aside from the narrow range of each individual shot making it very specific and capable of even missing things flying right in front of you, there's the auto aim snap that means you don't even get the aim of your own decision to say sweep your shot or even target the right direction.

the damage was so sad, that I was glad papa Hades dunked me back to the bottom, it's what I deserve, I can't imagine experiencing a worse build.
My only hope was that the triple spread shot would turn up in a hammer, it did not.

...oh and I briefly got the Aphrodite and Demeter duo boon that makes the laser crystal cast track you, I figured there might be some cool application to this but hahaha, nope, easiest 400 coins back at the blood fountain I've ever made and if there's a worse duo ability I'll be impressed because that's only gonna be good on stationary foes and stationary you
Yeah, here's the thing with Rail - it really doesn't do well with percentages. You want flat damage, which means Zeus, usually. Honestly, just having Zeus instead of Athena on attack would have probably changed this build from awful to great. My last run was my best yet, using Eris rail, Zeus on attack and special (with the Jolted curse), support fire, and 3% crit chance on everything. I don't think the best DPS I've gotten (what made it my best run yet had more to do with mobility upgrades), but it was pretty solid.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, here's the thing with Rail - it really doesn't do well with percentages. You want flat damage, which means Zeus, usually. Honestly, just having Zeus instead of Athena on attack would have probably changed this build from awful to great. My last run was my best yet, using Eris rail, Zeus on attack and special (with the Jolted curse), support fire, and 3% crit chance on everything. I don't think the best DPS I've gotten (what made it my best run yet had more to do with mobility upgrades), but it was pretty solid.
Indeed for the rail, even lucifer Zeus is best for attack.

That said, in EA artemis was busted for a long time. Was just the clear best God regardless of weapon. It was pretty cray.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Base gun attack does like 5 damage per shot. You don't really go for %s on it, as you've learned :)
Well, I guess I did say I am too easily swayed by the shiny percentage number.

So that's more of a thing for weapons that have a good base hit then? not that I'm actually all that sure on the numbers or anything, i've yet to look to deeply into it.
Anyway that's very useful to know

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my first clear on run...32, I think? I was beginning to think I'd have to resort to God Mode.

The shield with Zeus' aspect was broken AF when adding in lightning on special. You can throw it just so that it stays on top of an enemy, continuously draining their life. I managed to park the shield on Theseus and take off half his life that way. Adding in knockback dash, lightning on knockback and jolted made everything pretty absurd.

Jumping right back into it, I've got a build I'm pretty excited about. Sword with a Daedalus upgrade that makes the special have a wider shockwave, and a super powered doom on special (level 4, plus the boon that increases doom damage after a delay). I pop special once, hit every enemy around with a fairly powerful shockwave, then a couple ticks later every enemy takes 300 (!) damage.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
If you have beaten it already you can just swap weapons and bet Meg for some easy blood?

There's so little to work with both when you are starting + how much you'll probably have in the first area, you should work on your understanding of her pattern, to hit her more while getting hit less.
I beat it twice with 2 different weapons then did heat 0 and 1 on all the weapons so the only titan's blood bounties I have left are beating Hades but I can't do it. Feels bad

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't tease anything that you were suggesting, having a backdrop and stakes to a story doesn't mean the thing people are worrying about will actually happen in the game. Its unrealistic to expect anything hugely different given the genre, in fact this game already mixes it up a lot more than most with the narrative and dialogue.

Lol I had the same thing before, it was very odd and yeah not particularly powerful. It was the closest I've come to a loss in a while but I still just scraped by Hades.

I don't know what game you were playing lol... A very sastifiyng end game is really important for a game like this, it is sad when a game of this quality can't finish strong. Consistency throughout the entire experience is important to me with video games.

Oct 25, 2017

So that's more of a thing for weapons that have a good base hit then? not that I'm actually all that sure on the numbers or anything, i've yet to look to deeply into it.
Beat Skelly (from his front) with each of the attacks of your weapon to know its base damage. When you find a boon, multiply that damage by the %.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

I can relate lol. The run before the Zeus build I went in with the same idea, and had about the same results as you did. Comes down to numbers, really.

Zeus on attack does around 15 base I think? Obviously upgradeable based on rarity and poms. The Rail's base damage meanwhile is 10, so Zeus is effectively a +150% buff to attack at minimum. But for something like the Sword, it's a +75%, and that's only considering the first hit of the sword combo, which does 20 base damage. For the dash and stab (third hit of combo), which do 30 damage base, it's only a 50% increase. I'm sure there are other calculations at play here (stuff like backstab and Privleged Status likely matter, but that's too much math for me at the moment) but that's kinda the gist of it. Percentages also probably scale better with other buffs, since Zeus' attack is more of an add-on that isn't really affected by anything other than itself and some aspects (another thing that makes it good for Rail is that Aspect of Eris buffs all your damage).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Chiron bow is so fun and so overpowered. Especially if you get the hammer upgrade that gives you more arrows.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
FINALLY... my first clear, only took 26 damn attempts. Man that felt great, used the shield despite my previous best runs using the spear.

Also the first rogue-lite game I've ever stuck with or completed as well. Absolutely fantastic game.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I typically don't go for rogue-like or rogue-lite games, but this game is absolutely fantastic. The story is amazing and falls decently in line with some of the Greek Mythologies. I think the one thing that makes this game fantastic, is that death is expected and you aren't penalized for dying. The variation of weapons plus the abilities from the different gods really deters any feelings of monotony you would get from running the same floors over and over.

At first, I thought I was doing something wrong because it took a while to get over the final boss hump, but you just keep going and unlocking cool stuff. Bravo to the devs, this game is great and we need some DLC or a Hades 2 that goes in some interesting directions.

Some of the best combos for me personally are crazy Zeus builds, and knockback Poseidon builds. However, I've found that while you may think some of the other god's abilities aren't that great, they are all viable and crazy enough to kill every floor if you build them out correctly. Dionysus in particular is really strong if you get enough of his boons.

I love games like this for my Switch, and I have to say the performance is really good. There have been exactly 3 times where I had some frame drops and it was because the number of enemies and projectiles (mine and the enemies) were covering the screen entirely.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of the rail with Zeus boons. My 4th clear overall, and the fastest one to date. Zeus's AOE cast effect made some fights incredibly easy. Add in the Artemis call and a 2% chance of inflicting critical hits plus marked status (and some ares buffs on the side as well). Hades, once again, melted like butter. I didn't even used a death defiance during the fight at all (the missing one is because an unfortunate run in with Tistiphone while I was underpowered.
yVSOt8x.png

Very fun run overall. Especially since I basically trolled Theseus during his fight, evading all his attacks while letting the lighting do all the work.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ok what is going on with this game where my weapons just dissapears halfway through a encounter and they don't come back unless I run around for a few seconds. Only for them to vanish again.

Is this a bug? Playing on switch

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Once I managed to get my first final boss kill, the rest seemed to follow pretty quickly afterward. Beaten it 9 times now and at least once with each weapon. Upgraded mirror and keepsakes help a bunch.

To anyone struggling, the key is to just keep attempting escapes as you're always making meaningful overall progress and gaining familiarity with all the different boons, interactions, upgrades, etc.

I haven't been this invested in a roguelike since Binding of Isaac and I'm loving every second of it. Sure this doesn't have as many possible item combinations as BoI but it feels so good to control and the story and gameplay loop are next level for this type of game - endlessly replayable! I picked this up a few days after v1.0 launch on a whim, and now this might be my GOTY.. funny how that works.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok what is going on with this game where my weapons just dissapears halfway through a encounter and they don't come back unless I run around for a few seconds. Only for them to vanish again.

Is this a bug? Playing on switch

This.

I have a feeling it's a debuff, but I have no idea what causes it. I've had it in the 4th boss fight too.