• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow
got friendzoned by Dusa twice. I thought I already had this cutscene before 1.0!

I've given up on pursuing Dark Thirst and am just grinding a single weapon down now. The variance is too much and I really need to get to grips with some broken combos with specific aspects if I want to try 32 I think.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Escaped on my 17th attempt. Crystal beam with chill is ridiculously OP.
Haven't escaped with this one, but I have felt its power. It's such a good combo for battlefield control. I find something about placing it then playing around it pretty awesome in this kind of game. Makes me feel like even more of a god, esp with Hermes boons.

Edit: grats!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't escaped with this one, but I have felt its power. It's such a good combo for battlefield control. I find something about placing it then playing around it pretty awesome in this kind of game. Makes me feel like even more of a god, esp with Hermes boons.

Edit: grats!

Especially for boss fights it's just godly. You set them and then just chill behind a pillar until you need to move or collect your gems back. You get chill stacking to 10 immediately so the boss slows to a crawl right away.

And thanks!

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite boss killer so far has been the gauntlets with the hammer upgrade that makes each consecutive hit to an enemy do +5 extra damage. I paired that with Artemis's crit attack boon and several other crit bonuses. Hades went down so fast I couldn't believe it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Bone Hydra V2 is impossible on the Switch's small screen. Waaaaay too much going on with the extra goons and limited ground to traverse. I can get past it but I keep wasting a death defiance. pretty much the only part in the game making me upset.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Bone Hydra V2 is impossible on the Switch's small screen. Waaaaay too much going on with the extra goons and limited ground to traverse. I can get past it but I keep wasting a death defiance. pretty much the only part in the game making me upset.

At which point I'll face V2?

Watched a stream and I was liked, wait I never faced Hydra at that place.

Apr 24, 2018
Escaped on my 17th attempt. Crystal beam with chill is ridiculously OP.
Nice - almost identical for me earlier tonight - it was my eighteenth run for my first escape! Those crystal beams/chill did some serious work on the final boss. Still cut it pretty close, and only had 45 HP at the end (with no defiances left).

Evolution of my thoughts on casting:
Casting sucks -> Castings is okay with some good power ups -> No you fool, casting really stacks damage on bosses even in its base form -> CASTING IS AWESOME

I still rarely use casting outside of boss fights, but my first loss to the final boss taught me that I really had to start using it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
25 hours later, finally hit the credits...and yet still no NPC movement in their "quests". What the hell does it take to deepen the relationship?

Specific dialogues, amount of hearts, gift giving. Just keep talking to people after runs.

The Extreme Measures modifier in the pact of punishment changes the bosses up.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you've beaten the game, you unlock hard mode where you can apply debuffs on yourself. One of them is Extreme Measures which makes the bosses harder (e.g. more moves, more health, etc...)

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Just hit the credits. Love the way it justifies continued runs lol. This is such an incredible game and I'm definitely planning to keep going until every character is at 10 hearts (I've only got one so far) and I've seen the epilogue at least.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else 20 attempts in, maybe 15 hours, and never ever use cast?

I feel like maybe that's why I'm now at a wall in the fourth area. Someone give me tips on casting and why I should use it more, please. I like... never click A in this game.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
30th attempt. Got to Hades. I got him down to 1/3rd health but missed a dash and died.

Had a really sick Athena Dash, Hades Doom and Aphrodite Weak build going on with the Shield.

I honestly think my biggest mistake was buying the Forge of the Fates. After doing that I had no idea what my weapon did anymore.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
30th attempt. Got to Hades. I got him down to 1/3rd health but missed a dash and died.

Had a really sick Athena Dash, Hades Doom and Aphrodite Weak build going on with the Shield.

I honestly think my biggest mistake was buying the Forge of the Fates. After doing that I had no idea what my weapon did anymore.
The changes are detailed in the boon list as boons

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like maybe that's why I'm now at a wall in the fourth area. Someone give me tips on casting and why I should use it more, please. I like... never click A in this game.

Supplemental damage/utility that is ranged, quick, and an inexhaustible resource the majority of the time.

You are strongly limiting your damage potential by not using it, especially the +40% lodged gem damage enemies take when the mirror is upgraded.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

Just try to start every encounter with it at least. Even the basic cast with no boons at all is incredibly useful if you take the mirror talent that gives you 50% bonus damage against enemies with a bloodstone stuck in them. It's totally free damage. There are a lot of cast boons with excellent utility and damage potential themselves, but it's best to just play around with those yourself and see what you like. But always, always try to make sure the enemy you're targeting (unless it's something wimpy like the skulls or witches) has a bloodstone in them at all times, especially a boss.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i just don't like hydra cos he has an invincibility period. bosses with invincibility periods are lame af. i don't mind a 'get off me' invul or spot dodge sometimes but just being like 'hey you need to go kill these other 5 mobs first' stuff sucks

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, a few players in this thread ran into an unfortunate issue with their save data on the Nintendo Switch version of the game. A new patch is up that should resolve that issue, so thank you again for your patience. If you don't get an auto-update notification, you can force the update by doing the following:
- highlight the Hades game icon on the Switch's home screen
- press the + button
- select Software Update > Via the Internet

Hope this gets you back into it.

Yes I got my save back! Thanks for fixing this quickly.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

You beat the game yet?
Casts are powerful supplementary skills that can cover the skills that your weapon lacks. You are also missing a lot of dps potential.
Without casts, it will be very2 difficult to run a high heat runs.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017

Should try Poseidon's, Demeter's, Ares/Artemis hunting blades duo. Those are my fave casts.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm a fucking idiot, i replaced an athena deflect attack boon with a poseidan pushback atk boon... on my fucking fists. Now I can't hit anything without shoving it far away from me which is exactly what I don't want to do. this run is borked

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Just hit the credits. Love the way it justifies continued runs lol. This is such an incredible game and I'm definitely planning to keep going until every character is at 10 hearts (I've only got one so far) and I've seen the epilogue at least.
I was going to come in here and make an excited post about rolling the credits, and it would have looked... almost exactly like this, lol. How do you unlock the epilogue, though? Fulfill Persephone's plan to reconcile with the Olympians?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Hermes gave me two whole extra dashes. Between that and an athena deflector I was basically completely dancing around dad with my double volley rapid fire bow, occasionally shotgunning blasting him in the face with Aphrodite casts. Second run down, on to the next one...

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Got him just now, on my 20th run.

hades.png

It was actually kind of a breeze somehow, only died once during the entire run lol. I guess this game is all about having the right build, and I lucked into some good shit.
It felt like that for me too and I thought I might only click and be able to escape with specific weapons. But I think once you've got enough permanent upgrades and you're experienced with the game you can make pretty much every run work.

I won for the first time on my 19th run wondering how frequently I'd start marking it, well now I'm on 28 runs with a current 7 win streak and I'm rotating through all the weapons. There's been a moment pretty much every time where something clicks and I think "okay now this is an awesome build". Some builds are better than others but right now it feels like I always get powerful enough for a decent chance at winning, even if I couldn't make a perfect build that all works together super well.

I think they really perfected the balance here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
29 runs, made it into Hades twice, still haven't beat him.

But I guess it's mostly because I try to fill up the prophecy list instead of actually trying to having competitive builds :)

Having a blast with the game so far. Absolute gem balance and mechanics wise and the art and story are amazing.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I just read in the Polygon Guide about God Mode.
Man, I thought it's something like hard mode or iron man, or something ... :D

You can still get achievements when you activate god mode, right?

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Went into Hades with a pretty naff fists build and no DD after rat nonsense, but did get the Demeter health regen boon so decided to take it steady and try to kite and heal up. Hades first stage is actually pretty basic if you stay on top of the adds, until he gets to about 20% and starts spamming the bombs too quick to deal with them all, then you kinda need something to burst him down.

Unlocked the Guan Yu aspect last night but it looks kinda nuts, how much does the debuff reduce health ups?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Crossed the 100 hour mark (also played in EA). Still enjoying the game immensely. This and the various versions of BoI are the only rogue-likes that managed to hook me so.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to hold off and wait for a PlayStation version but I couldn't wait any longer to play this with the great word of mouth, so I picked it up on the Switch. So far the game is living up to the hype! It has really fun combat, extremely good voice acting, and the story is great so far. I'm really happy I decided to get it now, definitely worth it.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017

They are crazy strong, simple as that. Even more once you unlock their secondary effects (Jolt, Chill, Doom modifiers, Rapture, etc) .Demeter's crystal, which I think is the best, allows you to keep dealing damage while you hide (super useful on last boss).

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Demeters Crystal also makes the second boss die so fast you basically spend the entire fight in the adds phase. Because it doesn't move much it's health just vanishes.

I've yet to manage to get the Demeter Artemis duo combo going though which is a shame as that looks really fun and strong.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My save on switch crashes the game on load. Guess I'll wait for a patch

They released a patch just a little while ago that was supposed to address this. See below. Maybe check (manually) if there are any updates available.

Hey, a few players in this thread ran into an unfortunate issue with their save data on the Nintendo Switch version of the game. A new patch is up that should resolve that issue, so thank you again for your patience. If you don't get an auto-update notification, you can force the update by doing the following:
- highlight the Hades game icon on the Switch's home screen
- press the + button
- select Software Update > Via the Internet

Hope this gets you back into it.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Well 40 hours in and still no better at the game. I just don't understand how in every single match against hades I get hit by every single thing, how is it possible to not even get slightly better, I guess my reflexes are just that terrible. I might have to stop playing this just for my own health I really hate these sort of these games.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
I really hate that the bosses get harder before I even finished a single run. I wasn't good enough to finish it normally, but now I have to do it in "Hard mode"? Well thank you...

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Well 40 hours in and still no better at the game. I just don't understand how in every single match against hades I get hit by every single thing, how is it possible to not even get slightly better, I guess my reflexes are just that terrible. I might have to stop playing this just for my own health I really hate these sort of these games.

i get hit a bunch as well so here's some boons to shoot for to make it a little easier
- hermes multi dash
- athena deflectors (preferably on dash)

these two save my bacon every time

I really hate that the bosses get harder before I even finished a single run. I wasn't good enough to finish it normally, but now I have to do it in "Hard mode"? Well thank you...

if you're talking about stage 1 (or stage 2) they're not harder... just different. The stage 1 varients have different attack patterns (and probably use projectiles more than Meg) but you can do basically the same avoid, dash in, attack, dash out strats and get pretty far.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
if you're talking about stage 1 (or stage 2) they're not harder... just different. The stage 1 varients have different attack patterns (and probably use projectiles more than Meg) but you can do basically the same avoid, dash in, attack, dash out strats and get pretty far.

Never died on the Stage 2 Boss before but died in his third form. Much harder for me, couldn't just dodge the shockwave and spam Y like before, because everything was on fire.