• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
So, I've reached the final boss in Elysium thrice already - spear, bow and sword but they have stomped me each time lol.

Any tips how to beat them? Should I aim for some specific builds?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I did not like Bastion or Transistor. Both are good games and heavily stylized. Should I give this game a try or stay away?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Wow, I failed in defeating Meg like 6 times and then, once I defeated her, I made it all the way to the end of the next "word", defeated the boss of that on my first try and made it halfway trough the third world, I was defeated by what I assume was a mid-boss for that world. I made a lot of progress in only one run!

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have any permanent upgrades or does everything go back to 0 with every death
Yes there are tons of permanent upgrades. In the early game, you'll usually be heading in to each run in a stronger position than the last. It'll take a long time to unlock all the upgrades so there's a nice sense of progression there.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I just got jammy (and considering I barely scraped past Elysium's boss with 3HP left, maybe indeed) but reaching boss Hades on my fifth run seemed a bit sudden. That said he kinda kicked my arse, or at least his mooks did.

This was my first spear run and while I wouldn't say I found the weapon that fun, it was certainly reliable.
Triple strike flurry was a funny thing but I also feel like the damage output wasn't as insane as I'd hoped from the gimmick.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Wow, I failed in defeating Meg like 6 times and then, once I defeated her, I made it all the way to the end of the next "word", defeated the boss of that on my first try and made it halfway trough the third world, I was defeated by what I assume was a mid-boss for that world. I made a lot of progress in only one run!
Second boss is less mobile, makes it easier

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I did not like Bastion or Transistor. Both are good games and heavily stylized. Should I give this game a try or stay away?

If the thing you didn't like about them was the combat then yes. This one plays better than their other games, combat feels very good, weapons are fun, abilities are fun.

It's a rogue like though so a lot of re-running through the game but I feel I definitely make better progress the more I play unlike some other games like this where I feel I hit a peak.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I just got jammy (and considering I barely scraped past Elysium's boss with 3HP left, maybe indeed) but reaching boss Hades on my fifth run seemed a bit sudden. That said he kinda kicked my arse, or at least his mooks did.

This was my first spear run and while I wouldn't say I found the weapon that fun, it was certainly reliable.
Triple strike flurry was a funny thing but I also feel like the damage output wasn't as insane as I'd hoped from the gimmick.
I had my first successful run with the spear yesterday. Triple strike flurry with stacking doom and increased damage after a longer delay was ripping through the later rooms. Also had the Athena dash and the Ares/Athena duo that inflicts doom on every reflect. Zeus on cast (which was pretty useless tbh) and Athena's call, which I used for the tougher moments in the Hades fight. Only needed one death defiance. Congrats on reaching Hades on your fifth run though, that's really good.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018

Neither one of those games really stuck with me despite appreciating their style, but Hades is my favorite game of the year AND probably my favorite game of this type overall. Definitely go for it.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious. Is there some kind of damage cap applied to Hades during his boss fight? His health pool feels similar between when I have lesser or greater dps builds. If that's the case I think it's kinda shitty, but I could be wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
I hardly ever use Cast. Anyone else? Maybe I should put some Darkness into additional charges, but right now I'd rather upgrade my Special, Dash or Attack before considering Cast.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious. Is there some kind of damage cap applied to Hades during his boss fight? His health pool feels similar between when I have lesser or greater dps builds. If that's the case I think it's kinda shitty, but I could be wrong.
I've seen people getting over 3k so I would say no.

I hardly ever use Cast. Anyone else? Maybe I should put some Darkness into additional charges, but right now I'd rather upgrade my Special, Dash or Attack before considering Cast.
Check the last two pages =p

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Tch. Almost. I got the final boss to half of his HP on his second phase. In typical boss fashion I wasn't aware of his tells so I took a lot of unnecessary damage. Same with the mini boss of the 4th stratum. Next time should be different.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Okay what's everyones most annoying regular enemy? My vote goes to those poison spitting assholes in the last area. Reflecting it back into their stupid face always feels good.

Butterfly Spheres if I'm on a melee build. And the Butterfly Sphere mini-boss thing too. That is just a ridiculous fight

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Okay what's everyones most annoying regular enemy? My vote goes to those poison spitting assholes in the last area. Reflecting it back into their stupid face always feels good.
For me it's satyrs followed by the fucking pink butterfly ball things in Elysium. I don't know why but they annoy the shit out of me on some runs.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I just lost over 5 hours of progress....WTF why? It said it saved less than a minute ago when I quit. God even the achievement I have...yet the game says I don't. The fuck happened

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
What are everyone's favorite aspects? The fists aspect of Zagreus maxed out gives me 15% dodge chance, and if I bring Hermes feather and also get Hermes boon for increased dodge, I always beat the final boss with all my lives.

Oct 25, 2017
i bet the elysium boss for the first time yesterday -- felt great. i accidentally had a great kit for styx (poseidon attack that pushes enemies back plus oops-all wall damage) but didn't realise how poison worked so ended up dying to it. oh well.

this game is fucking amazing.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just got to the Elysium boss and needed like... ten more seconds.... but died before wining. Damn.

But man this game really gives you a great sense of progression and seeing your abilities and reflexes improving.

amazing game so far. Possibly my second favorite of the year afterP5R.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Anyone knows the theme song that plays in Elysium boss battle? I tried listening to the King and the Bull on Youtube but I could swear that's not it, the part I recall at least is not there.

Triggs

May 3, 2019
What are everyone's favorite aspects? The fists aspect of Zagreus maxed out gives me 15% dodge chance, and if I bring Hermes feather and also get Hermes boon for increased dodge, I always beat the final boss with all my lives.
I'm convinced the Chiron bow is the best weapon in the game. I've been steadily raising heat levels and have not even felt challenged with it yet. It needs a full commitment though, it's not great at just one level but is fantastic fully upgraded.

Hidden sword aspect is just a blast to use too.

Aug 18, 2020
Picked up this game before the sale ended and wow -- y'all weren't kidding. What a treat.

Saw some good folks recommending the shield but it's just not clicking for me. Is there something I'm missing?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced the Chiron bow is the best weapon in the game. I've been steadily raising heat levels and have not even felt challenged with it yet. It needs a full commitment though, it's not great at just one level but is fantastic fully upgraded.

Just had my fastest run with Chiron at 16. Dionysus + Aphrodite on it is bonkers good.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
So, I've reached the final boss in Elysium thrice already - spear, bow and sword but they have stomped me each time lol.

I'm right there with you, brother.
Have the feeling that my average damage output is quite low in the third area in general. Myself, I prefer the spear right now.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hydra is such an laughable easy boss.

Gun is kinda boring. Think I've had most fun with Fists and swords. Got my first win at Run 18 with Sword. Actually easy after not dashing every where and Athena's cast deflect makes a lot of encounters rather easy lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I find it far funner than those two.

I thought Bastion was boring (loved the art though). I haven't finished Transistor but was liking it some.

I say give it a go then request a refund if it doesn't click.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right there with you, brother.
Have the feeling that my average damage output is quite low in the third area in general. Myself, I prefer the spear right now.
It's a common wall, if you search the thread there were a lot of people sharing advice and their strats against them :)

Picked up this game before the sale ended and wow -- y'all weren't kidding. What a treat.

Saw some good folks recommending the shield but it's just not clicking for me. Is there something I'm missing?
Shield is the safest weapon in the game because of the blocking while still doing good damage. Some of its aspects are insanely good.

With that said, if it doesn't click for you, it doesn't. Particularly I suck with both shield and rail, and find shield in general super boring and unsatisfying.

All of the 4th aspects are really fun (though I don't care for shield's)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

How do you get the hidden aspects for weapons? Do you have to upgrade them to their max before the 4th option opens?

Triggs

May 3, 2019

I highly recommend focusing Asterius down first. When Theseus hits half health he'll call on the gods to make a bunch of AoE effects, and you do not want to have the Minotaur running around for this. Make sure to keep an eye on Theseus though and use the pillars to your advantage to block his spear throws. I also like to save my own call for the back half of Theseus's health to burst him down quick.
I actually think it's really clever that they put Asterius solo as a possible mid boss. It creates a fairly safe environment to learn his attack patterns. Eventually you'll just be used to dealing with him in the actual boss fight.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
First win at 21 runs, using Nemesis sword. Was not expecting to win honestly, but grabbed the lifesteal hammer upgrade in Elysium and was able to get to the final boss with all my Death Defiances. Still was very close, because I'm not very used to that fight (nor am I very good at the game)

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I've made it to the boss of Elysium on my 8th run. I feel like I need to pay more attention to the specific builds I'm going for. I often just choose what feels right in the moment out of my choices, but I feel like i'm missing out on good synergies

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it, I thought I had Hades that time. I had a fist run with chill, doom, lightning + jolted (with boon that doesn't remove jolted when triggered). I had Hades down to about 5% health and then he got me with his flame attack. So close, but so far. That was easily my best run. He think I would have had him if I had had any kind of reflect. I was also probably too aggressive with Zeus call.

Oh and finally met Thanny boy... on run 26.