• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first clear last night with this.

XrDFeD3.jpg

It was a weirdly "fair" run so I didn't think I was actually geared up to properly clear. Was pretty much just pure attack damage + causing weak on attack with no other flair to it, but I can feel the fundamentals improved enough to handle everything. The best synergy I got was Hermes giving 13 gold per room entered, which procs like crazy in the final area.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not loving the gun after my first run with it but I didn't exactly get a very good build going so I'll give it a few more runs.

I wish we could remap reload to just moving the right analog stick in any direction since it isn't used for anything (as far as I know) and it would be quicker than clicking it in.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
are the seeking-arrows that change(titan blood) the special of the bow worth it? For (mini)bosses surely but the lack of aoe must be noticable elsewhere.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Hades really does mix the action bits with downtime really well. The action gameplay is super streamlined like you said, but it also has the conversational bits that serve as welcome breathers for the action and don't take too much of your time at any given moment. There's merit to games that have a dedicated focus on combat, but I often feel like people don't acknowledge how fatigue inducing a game solely based on combat is. A lot of the best action games out there usually have a mix of intense action and small acts of downtime.

Totally. Without the story, lore, characters and dialogs, the combat would get tiring more quickly between runs but I Iike the game doesn't waste time with exploration and scavenging like in most roguelites.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Well after I posted saying I hadn't made it past Theseus, my next run I made it to
Hades
! So that was exciting. Got my ass kicked back to the House with about an inch of his health left, but still, feels like good progress!

Chiron? At least 5 bows (level 3?) and go for +4 upgrade hammer.

What do you mean by 'at least 5 bows'? Artemis boons?

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Well after I posted saying I hadn't made it past Theseus, my next run I made it to
Hades
! So that was exciting. Got my ass kicked back to the House with about an inch of his health left, but still, feels like good progress!

What do you mean by 'at least 5 bows'? Artemis boons?

Upgrade it to level 3 so your special shoot at least 5 arrows.

Just realized I typed bows instead of arrows.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
What's the trick with the Shield? For damage output, looks to be one of the worst options there. You need to get close to the enemy and it barely does from the beggining like 38 per hit, with each hit displacing the enemy further so it's not easu to get a fast multi attack. Some people here recommend it with the Doom boons but wouldn't those work better for the bow or the spear?
I mean, Doom as far as I understand, works great when you get the combo boon that applies Doom with your regular attack and the one that stacks Doom for each time you attack the enemy. So, in my mind, this would work better with weapons that allow for quick consecutive attacks like the spear or the bow with the modifier that allows you to quick attack just pressing the regular attack buttom in exchange for not being able to charge your bow.

I am still stuck on the Theseus fight so maybe the Shield is all about the last boss.

I don't know, I got just one run with the shield and couldn't see its potential.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I am having a really hard time defeating
Hades

The fact that he can resurrect himself to full health is driving me nuts.

Everything else prior to that battle is a cakewalk. The first three bosses I have absolutely no problem with. I swap between gauntlets and sword and shield between playthroughs.

Any tips?

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
What's the trick with the Shield? For damage output, looks to be one of the worst options there. You need to get close to the enemy and it barely does from the beggining like 38 per hit, with each hit displacing the enemy further so it's not easu to get a fast multi attack. Some people here recommend it with the Doom boons but wouldn't those work better for the bow or the spear?
I mean, Doom as far as I understand, works great when you get the combo boon that applies Doom with your regular attack and the one that stacks Doom for each time you attack the enemy. So, in my mind, this would work better with weapons that allow for quick consecutive attacks like the spear or the bow with the modifier that allows you to quick attack just pressing the regular attack buttom in exchange for not being able to charge your bow.

I am still stuck on the Theseus fight so maybe the Shield is all about the last boss.

I don't know, I got just one run with the shield and couldn't see its potential.

The Shield is wonderful for blocking projectiles. This comes to play with the Hydra and Theseus fight. Blocking and then bull rushing is amazing to block and then close the gap to get in a few hits.

Am I supposed to, like, ever use Cast?

Definitely. There are boons in play which, when using cast projectiles on an enemy, the damage is increased by a substantial amount.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that accidentally held down A for too long when upgrading a weapon for the first time and had it pump every Titan's Blood into one attribute of one weapon?

I couldn't find a way to undo or erase upgrades (like with the mirror). I had no idea it was doing it, I truly don't think I pressed the button multiple times...

Is there anything that can be done about this? Some way to undo it I have yet to unlock? It took me like 15-20 hours to get those five Titan Bloods considering it's just a Darkness reward on most runs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The Shield is wonderful for blocking projectiles. This comes to play with the Hydra and Theseus fight. Blocking and then bull rushing is amazing to block and then close the gap to get in a few hits.

I'll give it more tries... however I think I am spending too much time with the regular enemies by how little time consuming they are for with my spear or my bow.

I never had a problem with the Hydra fight since it has been on of the easiest ones for me. Problem so far has been arriving to the Theseus fight with enough health.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give it more tries... however I think I am spending too much time with the regular enemies by how little time consuming they are for with my spear or my bow.

I never had a problem with the Hydra fight since it has been on of the easiest ones for me. Problem so far has been arriving to the Theseus fight with enough health.

Try not to focus too much on the combat boons when choosing doors. Try and get the treasure one's as well, the one with the gems.

Why? Because at the start you can renovate your house and dungeons and a couple of them have rest rooms between dungeons to regenerate your health.

Final boss for Elysium is giving me a massive headache. Any advice?

Focus on the bull first. He has a very simple attack pattern (2 strikes forward, 1 jumping attack backwards) and a stance pause before hitting you with the heavy attack.

Keep dashing between the collums when the other guy has you focused with his arrow. That way you won't get hit.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. There are boons in play which, when using cast projectiles on an enemy, the damage is increased by a substantial amount.

Okay, then that's as I understood it, but I guess I still don't get it...

I can't help but find it hugely inconvenient even with the mirror upgrades and boons. Like, I can never justify the long-term or single-run investment. The mental math doesn't compute and it feels like I'm missing something.

Say I upgrade to 2 Cast, um, gems and upgrade them so they increase the damage in an enemy by 50% or whatever. I have to throw the Casts just to enable the 50% damage buff, on just two enemies at a time, then have to be sure I go retrieve it quick or I can no longer use that function. Now, I could get a boon that increased damage by a couple points and added a status effect but, once again, I can only active it by throwing it into certain enemies, keeping track of them, and actively focusing on them until they die or I can never retrieve the Cast (til I clear the room). And if that enemy dies across the room because of a status effect like doom or revenge or because the range on my weapon is crazy long, I have to go track down where they dropped it and pick it up manually.

Meanwhile, I could have selected a Boon that upped my Attack by say 50-100% and added a status effect (and the like). Then I could rip and tear around the map hitting a dozen enemies several dozen times, avoiding traps and attacks without having to chase down my Cast or focus all my attention on one particular enemy til I get it. It just doesn't seem economical.

I feel like every other attack/action is useful "out of the box", but Cast only gets good if you invest Darkness and get lucky with Boons, and taking those Boons would have sacrificed Boons that are more powerful/adaptable/applicable in more situations.

Please no one be upset, I know I am wrong. The game design of Hades is too meticulous and pristine for one of its central functions to be so out of balance, so I am clearly just still missing something.

Can you or someone explain exact scenarios in which focusing on Cast would be more useful throughout a particular run than Attack, Special, or Dash? This is not an aggressive question, I genuinely want someone to teach me how to use it hahaha. I've probably played 30 hours of this game and I don't want to go any further ignoring an entire core feature of the gameplay if it is a balanced and exciting as the rest.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, then that's as I understood it, but I guess I still don't get it...

I can't help but find it hugely inconvenient even with the mirror upgrades and boons. Like, I can never justify the long-term or single-run investment. The mental math doesn't compute and it feels like I'm missing something.

Say I upgrade to 2 Cast, um, gems and upgrade them so they increase the damage in an enemy by 50% or whatever. I have to throw the Casts just to enable the 50% damage buff, on just two enemies at a time, then have to be sure I go retrieve it quick or I can no longer use that function. Now, I could get a boon that increased damage by a couple points and added a status effect but, once again, I can only active it by throwing it into certain enemies, keeping track of them, and actively focusing on them until they die or I can never retrieve the Cast (til I clear the room). And if that enemy dies across the room because of a status effect like doom or revenge or because the range on my weapon is crazy long, I have to go track down where they dropped it and pick it up manually.

Meanwhile, I could have selected a Boon that upped my Attack by say 50-100% and added a status effect (and the like). Then I could rip and tear around the map hitting a dozen enemies several dozen times, avoiding traps and attacks without having to chase down my Cast or focus all my attention on one particular enemy til I get it. It just doesn't seem economical.

I feel like every other attack/action is useful "out of the box", but Cast only gets good if you invest Darkness and get lucky with Boons, and taking those Boons would have sacrificed Boons that are more powerful/adaptable/applicable in more situations.

Please no one be upset, I know I am wrong. The game design of Hades is too meticulous and pristine for one of its central functions to be so out of balance, so I am clearly just still missing something.

Can you or someone explain exact scenarios in which focusing on Cast would be more useful throughout a particular run than Attack, Special, or Dash? This is not an aggressive question, I genuinely want someone to teach me how to use it hahaha. I've probably played 30 hours of this game and I don't want to go any further ignoring an entire core feature of the gameplay if it is a balanced and exciting as the rest.

One aspect of the sword retrieves your casts from enemies they're embedded in when you use a sword special. i just cleared Hades with one heat using that, having boosted cast massively, and getting early on a powerful cast boon. the gameplay loop was cast, cast, cast, special, cast, cast, cast, special, repeat.

the game is set up so flexibly that you're bound to run into a strong cast build. just keep going.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Try not to focus too much on the combat boons when choosing doors. Try and get the treasure one's as well, the one with the gems.

Why? Because at the start you can renovate your house and dungeons and a couple of them have rest rooms between dungeons to regenerate your health.

Yeah, that's what I was doing in my first ten runs. I got gems, keys and dark crystals to get more modifiers in the mirror and new rooms with health fountains. In fact, in my last run I unloked the second pact of death in the mirror that should make things easier.

So, right now, I am looking for a sucessfull run and I am starting to focus more in the boons and their sinergies to see if I can get one. In previous runs I was experimenting more and unlocking things.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
One aspect of the sword retrieves your casts from enemies they're embedded in when you use a sword special. i just cleared Hades with one heat using that, having boosted cast massively, and getting early on a powerful cast boon. the gameplay loop was cast, cast, cast, special, cast, cast, cast, special, repeat.

the game is set up so flexibly that you're bound to run into a strong cast build. just keep going.

Whooooaaaa, interesting............ I actually practically never use the sword (only when it has a darkness boost) since it's my least favorite weapon, so I was doubly unaware of their potential synergy there.

Thank you for explaining. I'll dedicate a run to just fucking around with Cast and not worrying about how far I get.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whooooaaaa, interesting............ I actually practically never use the sword (only when it has a darkness boost) since it's my least favorite weapon, so I was doubly unaware of their potential synergy there.

Thank you for explaining. I'll dedicate a run to just fucking around with Cast and not worrying about how far I get.

Yea the cast isn't usually a major part of my arsenal, but this particular aspect of the sword basically nudges you into attempting a cast run, so I went with it. Think I had a Duo boon with Poseidon and Demeter that made it really fucking powerful too, ripped through Hades. Anyway good luck!

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
What cast build ends up being good?

I've only beaten hades 4 times now, only with knuckle, shield, bow, gun. I don't think ive ever really used my cast or picked at cast power it just feels so cumbersome, which I know is my fault for not using it ha.

Is there a good weapon/boon combo i should look out for to practice cast more?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started a new game, last time I played was early access. Hats off to such an incredible game, it has been improved so much.

I'm loving the bow at the moment, melts the first two bosses. How do I unlock aspects? Also I wish gifts were easier to come by, I rarely get any.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone's curious, here's what happens if you somehow kill the last boss and die at the same time. Spoilers, obviously. Everyone in the house acted like I'd won too, and it even popped the victory screen (you see it briefly at the end). But no Titan blood or ending dialogue. Weird one.

are the seeking-arrows that change(titan blood) the special of the bow worth it? For (mini)bosses surely but the lack of aoe must be noticable elsewhere.
If you mean Chiron aspect where the special seeks the last enemy hit with the primary, it's IMO one of the top 3 aspects in the game. It's basically easy mode, especially if you get penetrating arrows off a daedelus hammer.

How do I unlock aspects?

Skelly will give you a hint, but

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hades is currently the best rated game on Opencritic this year, above even TLOU2. How good is it really?

If I didn't like either Bastion or Transistor, is there any chance I'd like it? With those games I loved the music and visuals, but never quite got a hang of the gameplay and just kept pushing through with a poor understanding on what I actually should be doing.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Focus on the bull first. He has a very simple attack pattern (2 strikes forward, 1 jumping attack backwards) and a stance pause before hitting you with the heavy attack.

Keep dashing between the collums when the other guy has you focused with his arrow. That way you won't get hit.
Thanks for the advice, will report back if I manage to beat them

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on the God's Legacy vs. God's Pride mirror upgrades? Not really sure which one is more worthwhile.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
What cast build ends up being good?

I've only beaten hades 4 times now, only with knuckle, shield, bow, gun. I don't think ive ever really used my cast or picked at cast power it just feels so cumbersome, which I know is my fault for not using it ha.

Is there a good weapon/boon combo i should look out for to practice cast more?

Zeus and Demeter cold fusion is really good.

Nov 3, 2017
Are Demeter boons significantly more rare than everyone else? After being introduced to her I haven't seen her pop up since and it has been at least 3-4 runs.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is currently the best rated game on Opencritic this year, above even TLOU2. How good is it really?

If I didn't like either Bastion or Transistor, is there any chance I'd like it? With those games I loved the music and visuals, but never quite got a hang of the gameplay and just kept pushing through with a poor understanding on what I actually should be doing.
Do you like games like Dead Cells? It is different, but in the same genre as Dead Cells.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Rolled on Credits with 31 escape attempts making that a almost
1/3% run success rate
Love the game and still more to do!

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I feel like I just found the secret to the bow. If you use the special where he fires a volley of like 10 shots at a point blank range, it's basically a shotgun and deals massive damage to a single enemy! So great!

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
What's the method of getting more centaur blood after getting the initial one for each weapon? I'd like to try out the different aspects, but I'm frozen with indecision.

Too bad you can't try before you buy.

edit: woops, titan blood I mean

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Does anybody have any tips for the butterfly miniboss in Elysium? That destroys my good runs more than the actual boss does by taking out most of my health/death defiance.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Achilles seems to have disappeared on me, checking the book he's full red hearts with the exception of a "locked" final heart - but he seems to be absent from the house for the last several clears

Trying to unlock a couple of these final weapon aspects before I start attempting extreme measures 3/4

Largest heat clear is only 5 - some of those modifiers look daunting

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I need to figure out how to get a good build for the fists. I literally just saw the doom stack boon for the first time... but it's on a run where I never got doom on my attacks.