• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
VYsSogq.jpg

My luckiest run so far.

I got 3 Zeus's boons in a row, and 4th one give me Zeus's legendary in Tartarus. Got cold fusion in Elysium. The run was a breeze. I just kept shooting and dash cuz I had infinite ammo. Not sure if the triple bomb stack, but I shot myself thrice anyways LOL.

Met Hades for the first time with gun and won.

I think this is my fave weapon and build so far. Sorry Chaos.

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
So apparently if you fight the Bone Hydra enough times...

EihUqEQWsAEW5F1

...Zagreus decides to start calling it "Lernie" and the name above its health bar changes.

I love this game.

Mar 23, 2019
I'm at 29 runs with 11 wins and at the risk of sounding obnoxiously braggy...I think the game is too easy, and I wanna say it's mostly because of how the dash works.
It just gives too many i-frames. You can upgrade to 2 dashes via the mirror, and a hermes upgrade can give up to 3(? only ever found the +2) dashes more. Add the athena dash deflect and you are invincible simply spamming dash. And the thing is, i can very much force at least athena to appear via keepsakes. hermes is less likely to give that specific boon but pops up fairly regularly in general i feel.
I would compare it to Enter the gungeon, where dodging is something very deliberate, something that in many cases you should avoid doing to not accidentally dodge into another attack. In Hades, though, I am dodging CONSTANTLY. And it works out a lot of the time.
Another smaller factor in difficulty is the abundance in health upgrades and heals. Another thing EtG did better.

Now you might say there are two solutions here: I could just not pick up the dash boons I mentioned, right? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think voluntarily not picking up the best items I can find is something that I should have to do in a roguelite.
The other thing is heat. Admittedly I've only gone up to 2 heat for now as it takes forever to get all the bounties with whatever weapon is thirsty atm. But looking over the list, I dont think they fix the problems I have with the gameplay at the moment. Some definitely look fun and I will probably go for another couple of runs to see what else changes, but I don't see it changing significantly how well my usual build performs. And again, I can almost always force that build via keepsakes.

man, I did not expect to feel down on this game this quickly. Sorry, just my thoughts right now. Maybe it'll come back around.

Pump up the heat and see how it goes. I would recommend adding "extreme measures" to make the bosses more difficult. Put "forced overtime" to 40% and enemies will move and attack 40% faster. Max "benefits package" which gives enemies with armor other traits, which can be quite challenging depending on your build. "Middle Management" will make the elite fights tougher.

Those alone should make the runs more difficult. If thats not enough, you can make the enemies deal more damage, make your healing less effective, or add more enemies. They changed the "tight deadline" but if you set to 5 minutes you have to beat hades within 20 minutes game time, so that will force you to move quicker.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I think we all can agree on the following:

-Best dash is Athena's followed-up by Hermes.
-Best cast is Dyonisius
-Best weapon is gauntlets and worst is the Railgun (although it has the best special)
-Poseidon is the worst Boon
-Fuck Satyrs
As far as base weapons go, the sword is by far the worst for me. Each weapon has at least one top tier aspect though. Except maybe the Sword, which has 3 equally ok aspects. But bow has Chiron, Rail has Eris, Spear has Guan Yu, Fists have Demeter and Shield had Chaos though not sure how the nerf affected it.

I'd be careful about writing off certain Gods as they synergise better with some weapons than others. Poseidon is fantastic on anything that hits hard and slow because it gives a raw damage up plus a chance at extra damage from wall slams. Spear throws (especially Guan Yu) benefit a lot, as does the rail bomb, etc. It's in similar to stuff like Ares, who is largely useless on weapons that hit rapidly due to doom not stacking natively. Each God has some aspects they are just God-tier with. Same for Dionysus, you wouldn't take Dionysus on a sword special but you absolutely would take poseidon. But you wouldn't take poseidon on bow special and you absolutely would take dionysus.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Question on gifts to receive, I'll spoiler this just in case. Second zone.

What's the general consensus on the preferred Eurydice gifts to receive?

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Anyone able to help me, I'm doubtful this is tied to Hades, as it is appears to be happening to some degree on my desktop, but has been most noticeable in-game...

I'm getting a weird "flicker/darkening" effect whenever anything moves. Static screens don't have an issue, but any movement results in the effect in the below video.

I can deal with it, but it is incredibly distracting. I'm using the following monitor/hardware/settings;

MSI Optix MAG322CQR
MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
16GB DDDR4 RAM

Running at Native rez, with HDR off, G-Sync/Freesync on, Refresh rate is 165hz and VSync enabled

Have tried running at 60hz, wth everything off and still seeing the issue... Is this something anyone can help with, or... is it down to the monitor?

Edit - So I watched the video embedded there, and you can't see the effect, but following the link and watching it there you can... I'm really not sure what is doing it, it doesn't seem like a monitor issue, but a setting somewhere that I can't figure out (I've sent back two different monitors because I thought this was a monitor issue)

Edit2 - Added an offscreen video... So probably is monitor settings somewhere, any advice appreciated though.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Edit - So I watched the video embedded there, and you can't see the effect, but following the link and watching it there you can... I'm really not sure what is doing it, it doesn't seem like a monitor issue, but a setting somewhere that I can't figure out (I've sent back two different monitors because I thought this was a monitor issue)

Yeah, I can't see it. Do you have something like an adaptive contrast or brightness setting turned on maybe?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone able to help me, I'm doubtful this is tied to Hades, as it is appears to be happening to some degree on my desktop, but has been most noticeable in-game...

I'm getting a weird "flicker/darkening" effect whenever anything moves. Static screens don't have an issue, but any movement results in the effect in the below video.

I can deal with it, but it is incredibly distracting. I'm using the following monitor/hardware/settings;

MSI Optix MAG322CQR
MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
16GB DDDR4 RAM

Running at Native rez, with HDR off, G-Sync/Freesync on, Refresh rate is 165hz and VSync enabled

Have tried running at 60hz, wth everything off and still seeing the issue... Is this something anyone can help with, or... is it down to the monitor?

I honestly don't see the effect you're mentioning in that video.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Question on gifts to receive, I'll spoiler this just in case. Second zone.

What's the general consensus on the preferred Eurydice gifts to receive?

I usually get the 2 boon increased rarity one because by asphodel, I'm pretty sure what base boons I want. If I have a really good starting boon configuration, I'll get the 4 increased rarity chance for future boons bonus.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

MSI Optix MAG322CQR
MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
16GB DDDR4 RAM

Try a different overdrive-mode on your monitor.

Last edited:

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Finally finished my first run. I don't feel like I'll be able to do it again. I cheesed the 3rd and 4th bosses with the shield that was modified to shoot a spike instead of the charge rush move. Just block and shoot in corner like a coward till I escape hell.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah, I can't see it. Do you have something like an adaptive contrast or brightness setting turned on maybe?
I honestly don't see the effect you're mentioning in that video.
You guys are fast. My best runs so far were around 40 minutes.

Try a different overdrive-mode on your monitor.

I've had to make an offscreen video... Which does suggest a monitor issue, I guess. I've set it to try Fast/Fastest/Normal in response times, and can't find any adaptive contrast/dynamic contrast settings so a bit stuck.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Athena's dash thing where it automatically reflects projectiles is amazing. I want it all the time.

Finally had my first complete run. Took a while! Even though I was reliably getting to the final boss, I didn't have the fight down and I kept getting dropped.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

I've had to make an offscreen video... Which does suggest a monitor issue, I guess. I've set it to try Fast/Fastest/Normal in response times, and can't find any adaptive contrast/dynamic contrast settings so a bit stuck.

Yeah, this looks like overshot/inverse ghosting which occurs with high response times.

Go to your monitor`s settings and change the overdrive/ lower the response time.

overdrive1lkjq.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can upgrade to 2 dashes via the mirror, and a hermes upgrade can give up to 3(? only ever found the +2) dashes more.
You can get +3 :)
One suggestion would be using the alternate dash power from the mirror, instead of not using extra dashes.
And, honestly, there's enemy modifiers you haven't seen at all that are... problematic, to say the least lol

I did have the Elysium boss down to probably 2% health on my last run, just got careless and rushed in to get him down and ended up dying instead. So I'm close.

What artifacts are people using?
It's pure preference (and I usually swap between 2-3 during runs to reap benefits). When in doubt, I recommend Myrmidon Bracer or Broken Spearpoint; both are solid defensive options with the latter helping a lot against bosses.

Is there any benefit in starting a new save for v1.0?
Gameplay-wise, nope. You do get to see things in the "proper order" and pacing, so to speak.

Also - there's ROMANCE options??? That's super juicy!!
There's polyamorous romance :D

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That is Ashley Barrett, she sings the songs in all of Supergiant's games, sometimes together with composer Darren Korb. If you like this you should check those out.

Ashley Barrett is great.

YUlI9.gif

Man, I played Bastion, bought Transistor and barely touched it (will probably get it on Switch-- I got it on PS4), and never even got around to Pyre. But they seem to kill it with music.

i hope we get a patch. bigger font and menu size and hopefully a "zoom in" button. as it is right now, i hurts playing this game. this is the first time in my 30 years as a gamer that this happens.

Yeah it does get pretty small, I need my glasses to play this lol.

I know, I know. Slowly working on turning it up. I feel compelled to play whatever weapon is thirsty so heat progress is a little slow. Maybe I should skip ahead on one and see how it goes.

Yeah I love playing with the hungry weapon as well, it adds to the thrill lol.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
YUlI9.gif

Man, I played Bastion, bought Transistor and barely touched it (will probably get it on Switch-- I got it on PS4), and never even got around to Pyre. But they seem to kill it with music.

Yeah it does get pretty small, I need my glasses to play this lol.

Yeah I love playing with the hungry weapon as well, it adds to the thrill lol.
Any chance I get to recommend Pyre, I take. Pyre is a game unlike any other with characters you learn to love, an imaginative story, unique gameplay, and (quite possibly) the best soundtrack I've heard in an indie game.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Any chance I get to recommend Pyre, I take. Pyre is a game unlike any other with characters you learn to love, an imaginative story, unique gameplay, and (quite possibly) the best soundtrack I've heard in an indie game.

Man, I missed it because it probably came out around a time when I wasn't playing games as much.

I am definitely going to grab it on Steam. Shame it isn't on Switch though which has become my secondary indie game machine.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah, this looks like overshot/inverse ghosting which occurs with high response times.

Go to your monitor`s settings and change the overdrive/ lower the response time.

overdrive1lkjq.jpg

Yeah, I've tried lowest & highest of those. I think it is down it being a VA monitor and it being relatively dark in the places where it is happening... The inverse ghosting is gone on text at least when it's on lowest settings.

Thanks for the help, but looks like I'll be looking for an IPS to replace this!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I've tried lowest & highest of those. I think it is down it being a VA monitor and it being relatively dark in the places where it is happening... The inverse ghosting is gone on text at least when it's on lowest settings.

Thanks for the help, but looks like I'll be looking for an IPS to replace this!
You`re welcome. Try changing other monitor settings and maybe you`ll find a result more pleasing to your eyes.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't know which weapon to play next, I cleared all the range/defensive weapon, but I'm so bad at close range.

I was so afraid of the rat in Styx, and the thought that I have to fight them close range is nauseating.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`ve bought Hades back then when it was released on Steam Early Access because it was bundled with Pyre at a discount. As someone who does not enjoy rogue likes/lites, I thought, I´d play Hades for an hour and switch to Pyre, but I´ve never got around to to play it and Hades became one of my favorite games of this gen.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I`ve bought Hades back then when it was released on Steam Early Access because it was bundled with Pyre at a discount. As someone who does not enjoy rogue likes/lites, I thought, I´d play Hades for an hour and switch to Pyre, but I´ve never got around to to play it and Hades became one of my favorite games of this gen.

Hard to say I blame you. Anything SuperGiant is gold in my eyes.

Crooked Rain

Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't know which weapon to play next, I cleared all the range/defensive weapon, but I'm so bad at close range.

I was so afraid of the rat in Styx, and the thought that I have to fight them close range is nauseating.
If you just pick whichever weapon has the bonus darkness and gems each run, you won't have to think about which weapon to pick next.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So that ending is 100% setting up

Hades, Zag, Persephone, and the Underworld vs. the Pantheon

right?

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
So I started this last night on Epic Game Store and I'm having a blast, but the resolution of everything seems really low? I'm playing on a 4K TV and the game claims it's running at max resolution, but text looks really low res and the art doesn't seem crisp.

I changed to lower resolutions and didn't know much of a difference and I checked the settings file and it claims to be running at 4K, but the text on screen tells me otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah I saw the epilogue after the credits too. lol
Ah, I didn't really read it that way then. The only issue was Demeter catching up and instead they have created seasons. The rest of the Pantheon pretty much doesn't care (and most of them either avoided Demeter during most of the story or disagreed with her), with some of them post epilogue mentioning vising more frequently or trusting in Perspehone. Ares even jokes (?) about living in the Underworld to get more savvy about killing lol.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So what is everyone's favorite weapon + boons combinations?

I tend to favor Poseidon and Dionysus most of the time. I feel like Ares shows up the least for me but I dunno if he's just rarer overall or not - I still haven't been able to get him a Nectar.

Just had a really great run with the gun weapon, which I think is my favorite at this point. Had the rocket upgrade armed with Artemis' critical boon, plus extra speed on the regular attack + Zeus' lightning. Combined with Deflect Dash and Dionysus' Hangover Cast I pretty much obliterated everything at a distance, unfortunately the third boss got me again (although I killed one of them which is the best I've done so far).

Gun -> Spear -> Fists -> Bow -> Sword -> Shield for me I think right now, in terms of which weapons I like using. It's hard to go back to the Bow after getting used to the rapid fire of the gun.