• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Had to work up to beating the final boss again post release; seems like they made it considerably harder than it used to be! My last run was bow + chiron aspect + lots of bonuses to special damage; the bosses never stood a chance.

Question about the post game :

Should I just keep beating the game, or is there some secret stuff I should be looking for during/between runs? So far I beat Hades and met Persephone twice and got unique dialogue each time, so I guess I'll keep doing that until it stops.

Great game. Probably one of my favorites of the year, even though I spent more time with it in 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
Should I just keep beating the game, or is there some secret stuff I should be looking for during/between runs? So far I beat Hades and met Persephone twice and got unique dialogue each time, so I guess I'll keep doing that until it stops.
You need to keep doing that for more eight times to see credits. In the mean time, there's a crapton of side stories and quests if you keep talking to everybody you can between runs (or during runs, in the case of Sisyphus, Eurydice, etc) and gifting them nectar.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Wow what a lovely game! It's absolutely gorgeous on Switch in handheld mode.
I never liked roguelites (Except Downwell and Into The Breach but they're special and different) and dungeon crawlers, but the world building, characters, dialogs, gorgeous artstyle, satisfying combat, the story intertwined with the gameplay loop, it all comes together for the first time IMO. I think it might be a small revolution in the roguelite genre.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Bought it on a whim back when the Epic Store had the $10 off deal that was infinite and boy I am glad I did. Started playing yesterday.
So damn good.
Furthest I went was to the second boss.
Any tips?

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Finally won with bow. I wanna cry.

Wondering what weapon should I use next? Any crazy build in this version?

When can I get companion?

Escaped 3 times and still locked.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Not a fan of roguelikes tbh but Supergiant might convince me otherwise as The Game Kitchen did with Blasphemous.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How does the game run on Switch?
Any problems? The game does render a fuck ton of stuff on screen at times.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is it really the first rogue-lite to have a persistent story? Rogue Legacy 1/2 don't count.
Children of Morta has a persistent story. It is about family bonds and keeping your home from harm. So the exact opposite of Hades. It is a great game. It is more like Diablo. There are different levels and biomes you have to clear like in a traditional ARPG campaign. You don't have to clear the same set of levels like in Hades.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The way this game structures its story is fascinating. Seems like every character has a succession of exchanges that build off each other, but then there are convos that trigger only when you've done certain things, like Meg acknowledging you met Chaos, or Artemis commenting on the bow when you equip it. And then it would seem there are more elaborate story scenes after a certain number of runs... or maybe after unlocking X number of weapons or reaching Y number of chambers or achieving Z amount of character growth? I don't know the trigger variables, nor do I particularly want to know, for fear of spoiling the magic. The effect is marvelous, though - a story that truly seems ever-growing.

Yeah that's quite something and indeed has that "technology indistinguishable from magic" sentiment. It's going to win a few awards for this aspect alone.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm at 29 runs with 11 wins and at the risk of sounding obnoxiously braggy...I think the game is too easy, and I wanna say it's mostly because of how the dash works.
It just gives too many i-frames. You can upgrade to 2 dashes via the mirror, and a hermes upgrade can give up to 3(? only ever found the +2) dashes more. Add the athena dash deflect and you are invincible simply spamming dash. And the thing is, i can very much force at least athena to appear via keepsakes. hermes is less likely to give that specific boon but pops up fairly regularly in general i feel.
I would compare it to Enter the gungeon, where dodging is something very deliberate, something that in many cases you should avoid doing to not accidentally dodge into another attack. In Hades, though, I am dodging CONSTANTLY. And it works out a lot of the time.
Another smaller factor in difficulty is the abundance in health upgrades and heals. Another thing EtG did better.

Now you might say there are two solutions here: I could just not pick up the dash boons I mentioned, right? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think voluntarily not picking up the best items I can find is something that I should have to do in a roguelite.
The other thing is heat. Admittedly I've only gone up to 2 heat for now as it takes forever to get all the bounties with whatever weapon is thirsty atm. But looking over the list, I dont think they fix the problems I have with the gameplay at the moment. Some definitely look fun and I will probably go for another couple of runs to see what else changes, but I don't see it changing significantly how well my usual build performs. And again, I can almost always force that build via keepsakes.

man, I did not expect to feel down on this game this quickly. Sorry, just my thoughts right now. Maybe it'll come back around.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished a run! The shield is a great choice for the final boss. You can completely negate so many mechanics with the ability to block.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
I am at around 40 runs and have 1 wins. There is a spectrum of player's abilities and results.

edit: well i won after writing this and apparently fewer run so I should be honest.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2017
I've killed Hades once with each weapon, but there's still a standard keepsake I'm missing (the last one on the list). I've met and gifted Patroclus and Thanatos . Whose keepsake I'm missing?

Naru

May 11, 2019
The only thing I don't like so far are shielded/armored enemies. It just makes it tedious.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I've killed Hades once with each weapon, but there's still a standard keepsake I'm missing (the last one on the list). I've met and gifted Patroclus and Thanatos . Whose keepsake I'm missing?

You should compare what you have with a keepsake lists if you're just missing one but based on the 2 people you quoted in spoiler, maybe you're missing
Eurydice

Oct 25, 2017

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I feel like I've made a ton of progress in the last day or so. Almost every run I managed to clear. I also just beat
Charon
for the first time. I got my first companion, I have 3 secret aspects now (
Gilgamesh
is insanely powerful).

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
This is absolutely incredible. Not too far in yet, just beat first area maybe 3 times. It like its listening to me though. Everytime I've been thinking of something I'd love to see added in it appears on the next run. So polished and feels like a real evolution of run-based games. New high bar.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm at 29 runs with 11 wins and at the risk of sounding obnoxiously braggy...I think the game is too easy, and I wanna say it's mostly because of how the dash works.
It just gives too many i-frames. You can upgrade to 2 dashes via the mirror, and a hermes upgrade can give up to 3(? only ever found the +2) dashes more. Add the athena dash deflect and you are invincible simply spamming dash. And the thing is, i can very much force at least athena to appear via keepsakes. hermes is less likely to give that specific boon but pops up fairly regularly in general i feel.
I would compare it to Enter the gungeon, where dodging is something very deliberate, something that in many cases you should avoid doing to not accidentally dodge into another attack. In Hades, though, I am dodging CONSTANTLY. And it works out a lot of the time.
Another smaller factor in difficulty is the abundance in health upgrades and heals. Another thing EtG did better.

Now you might say there are two solutions here: I could just not pick up the dash boons I mentioned, right? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think voluntarily not picking up the best items I can find is something that I should have to do in a roguelite.
The other thing is heat. Admittedly I've only gone up to 2 heat for now as it takes forever to get all the bounties with whatever weapon is thirsty atm. But looking over the list, I dont think they fix the problems I have with the gameplay at the moment. Some definitely look fun and I will probably go for another couple of runs to see what else changes, but I don't see it changing significantly how well my usual build performs. And again, I can almost always force that build via keepsakes.

man, I did not expect to feel down on this game this quickly. Sorry, just my thoughts right now. Maybe it'll come back around.

I mean, you are still only playing with 2 Heat. There are a couple of conditions which definitely impact your main concerns:

-Enemy attacks & Movement Speed (with attacks happening more often, there is a higher chance you will get hit between dashes)

-Reduced Time (Since you have a 11/9/7min limit to beat each region means you can't just keep dashing away, but rather kill the enemies as fast as possible).

-Special Enemies Properties (Many of them change the way enemies attacks, which again can make them hit you more often)

If you are finding the game too easy, crank up the heat to 15 and see if you still enjoy or if the issues with the gameplay are gone.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017

how. just how.

I probably have 20-30 runs and I've made it to the Elysium boss twice.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Only Heat 2? Come on dawg lol.

I think the game is pretty generous once you get the dodging and movement down you can beast.

But the challenge is there if you seek out out.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Whoever they got to sing this has an incredible voice. Love the melody that plays with it. In case you didn't know this game has an incredible soundtrack.

I mean, you are still only playing with 2 Heat. There are a couple of conditions which definitely impact your main concerns:

-Enemy attacks & Movement Speed (with attacks happening more often, there is a higher chance you will get hit between dashes)

-Reduced Time (Since you have a 11/9/7min limit to beat each region means you can't just keep dashing away, but rather kill the enemies as fast as possible).

-Special Enemies Properties (Many of them change the way enemies attacks, which again can make them hit you more often)

If you are finding the game too easy, crank up the heat to 15 and see if you still enjoy or if the issues with the gameplay are gone.

The enemies attack faster is completely fucking my shit up. It's crazy how much it changes the game lol.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i bought a switch lite for this. the game is everything i hoped for but sadly, playing on the small screen is giving me massive migrane attacks :(
everything is just too small. i have no issues with mario odyssey, fast rmx or the snes games. but after 5 minutes of hades, i need to lay down.

sucks, because the game is freaking brilliant.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the dash is as good as it is. The evade is OP as heck in Souls as well, but the fun is in executing and the feelgoods of pressing buttons. If you need the timings to be tighter, there's that heat condition that makes progressively faster. Maybe that ramps up the challenge enough for those who want it. Enabling the time limit will also eliminate being able to cheese stuff at a distance. I am personally a big fan of cheese so that's staying on for me 😸

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
i bought a switch lite for this. the game is everything i hoped for but sadly, playing on the small screen is giving me massive migrane attacks :(
everything is just too small. i have no issues with mario odyssey, fast rmx or the snes games. but after 5 minutes of hades, i need to lay down.

sucks, because the game is freaking brilliant.
Hopefully we get accessibility options that address this. Sorry you're having those issues... It truly is a lovely game.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I was about to buy the game and saw that the support for Ultrawide is simply putting wallpapers on the side... ehhhhh not really the best approach in my book tbh.

I might go for the Switch version instead

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever they got to sing this has an incredible voice. Love the melody that plays with it. In case you didn't know this game has an incredible soundtrack.
That is Ashley Barrett, she sings the songs in all of Supergiant's games, sometimes together with composer Darren Korb. If you like this you should check those out.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we get accessibility options that address this. Sorry you're having those issues... It truly is a lovely game.
i hope we get a patch. bigger font and menu size and hopefully a "zoom in" button. as it is right now, i hurts playing this game. this is the first time in my 30 years as a gamer that this happens.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I think we all can agree on the following:

-Best dash is Athena's followed-up by Hermes.
-Best cast is Dyonisius
-Best weapon is gauntlets and worst is the Railgun (although it has the best special)
-Poseidon is the worst Boon
-Fuck Satyrs

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

I always play reduced time, but when I played the special enemy perks one I didn't notice a difference except for the elysium soldiers that explode into many balloon thingies.
I will absolutely play around with more heat stuff, but I am getting a little fatigued right now. 24 hours of playtime will do that in such a short time.

Only Heat 2? Come on dawg lol.

I think the game is pretty generous once you get the dodging and movement down you can beast.

But the challenge is there if you seek out out.

I know, I know. Slowly working on turning it up. I feel compelled to play whatever weapon is thirsty so heat progress is a little slow. Maybe I should skip ahead on one and see how it goes.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long while since I played and there are many news gods and boons.

Is there a good place to check out example builds / combos? Or which weapon upgrades are best? There's a lot to take in coming back.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

-Best cast is Dyonisius
-Best weapon is gauntlets and worst is the Railgun (although it has the best special)
-Fuck Satyrs

If you really hate Satyrs, Poseidon on cast (or anything but call, really) and any combination of typhoon's fury, breaking wave or second wave will make that entire area cake as you yeet Satyrs across the map and back several times. He has some of the best boons for that zone imo.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so two things...

1. It took me 16 tries to get through a run. But I got through another run right after the first and my build was nearly the same. First time was with a shield and the second was with a bow but on both runs I had...

• Cast: Crystal Beam - This thing is amazing if you like to play ranged. You can set these down and let them do all of the work. Especially since they were modified with chill, rapid cast, and instant returns.

• Dash: Athena's dash. It's a lifesaver.

• Call: Poseidon's Aid. Also a lifesaver and with a few upgrades I was able to do a ton of damage to the bosses.

With that setup I was able to play very passively and focus on learning the moveset of the final boss. I like how it feels like the story is just beginning even after finishing two runs.

2. I haven't lost to Theseus & Asterius a single time since I discovered the red shade. I cannot let them down.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, you're not alone! I was thinking the same with everyone posting their wins at 10-20 runs. I've not made it past Elysium's boss either yet at 21 attempts.
I did have the Elysium boss down to probably 2% health on my last run, just got careless and rushed in to get him down and ended up dying instead. So I'm close.

What artifacts are people using?

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Got to Hades on 23 run, I don't know how... had triple dash, hangover and a pretty good cast but my special and attack were weak. Got to 2nd form on final boss but his adds did (couldn't do enough dmg fast enough). I went into it with not much health initially and 1 death defiance. Hermes dash made it nearly impossible to get hit by Hades, but like I said his adds did most of the dmg.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

-Best cast is Dyonisius
-Fuck Satyrs
Agreed on everything except for the cast and weapon. The railgun is insane when you change it to a shotgun with daedalus' hammers and even more so if you upgrade the special to rapid fire multiple shots. I consider the spear the weakest weapon by far, mostly due to its special.

I also prefer the Athena cast over Dynonisius.

But yes. fuck Satyrs.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I S U C K at this game but I'm having a lot of fun anyway! After like 15 tries with only getting half-way through the 2nd world I caved and turned on "God Mode".
I think I barely understand what's going on but I love the art, the character designs, and the gameplay.

Also - there's ROMANCE options??? That's super juicy!!