• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Second run down with bow this time - turns out the flurry shot maybe isn't that great. This time I had a ton of crit+ boons, the upgrade that makes powershot easier to time, a faster attack from Hermes, and triple shot and I was wrecking everything just by spamming.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently on one of my most enjoyable run : first time with spear, triple attack, Athena's attack & dash, Poseidon's call, 30% dodge and movespeed on Lambent Plume, +20% attack speed...
Then Tiny Vermin !?

Let's just say if I still played sword at this point, this would've been a TERRIBLE fight.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
On one run I had invested heavily in the "spear hits 7 targets" skill and was basically able to just mash dodge and spear throw for every encounter. I cleared about 6 bosses in a row doing this. Before I had only cleared 3.

ryan-ts

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently on one of my most enjoyable run : first time with spear, triple attack, Athena's attack & dash, Poseidon's call, 30% dodge and movespeed on Lambent Plume, +20% attack speed...
Then Tiny Vermin !?

Let's just say if I still played sword at this point, this would've been a TERRIBLE fight.
Tiny Vermin is a run destroyer.

I had 3 Death Defiance stored up and some strong boosts heading into the Temple of Styx. I made it to Hades with one left and eventually lost :(

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't managed to complete a run yet. Currently at 28 attempts.

My last run was so close on the last boss. Had a good combo with a triple dash from Hermes and Blade Rift dash with Ares along with the bow. Even went in with all my Death Defiance. Just made a few ill advised moves and that was it.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
...I definitely can tell the quality of the game and everyone raving about it made me try to get over my apprehension of Roguelikes, but for the life of me I'll never understand the appeal of repeatedly attempting the same content until you reach a perfect run and losing all but slivers of progress. What's the deal with Roguelikes that so many indies are in that genre now?
I see Roguelikes as a continuation of Arcade games.

Arcade games are almost exactly the same each time, so when you make more progress on average, you know you're getting better at the game and learning its patterns. Arcade games were pretty much enough to kickstart a whole medium, so there's definitely appeal here!

A Roguelike expands on this by removing the pattern memorisation - you know you're getting better at the game mechanics and not just rote memorisation due to the randomisation of the challenge. Because the core elements are the same between your first run and your hundredth, any progress you make is due to you improving at the game. The trouble with a more "pure" Roguelike (Rogue, Spelunky) is there's no guarantee you will ever make it to the end, and for many people, that's OK.

A Roguelite* kind of takes a step back, it gives you permanent upgrades or unlocks between runs both to kind of guarantee that with persistence you'll eventually make it to the end, and also to ensure you get new mechanics over time as you play, rather than overwhelming a new player with everything. The downside is that it often feels like there's an element of necessary 'grind' to it as the end-content is balanced around having unlocked various things from failed runs. When you fail, you're unsure if it's because you need to improve at the game, or just because you lack the necessary unlocks.

I think the super clever thing that Hades does is for players who don't enjoy the core loop of replaying content solely to get better at it - now there are story hooks so that dying doesn't become a "waste of time"** but a key to unlock the next part of the story.

The reason so many indie devs gravitate toward roguelikes is because they're super fun to work on with unique challenges, they provide endless gameplay, they're quite popular, and there's still a lot of room in the... genre(?) for innovation!

*The distinction between Roguelike/Roguelite is pretty weak but it sort of makes sense for what I wanted to explain
**I don't think restarting an arcade game/roguelike is a waste of time, especially if it was enjoyable.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Yooooooo, I beat Meg! Was my... 7th(?) attempt. Is that about normal or do I suck?

The art is sooooo good. Loving the combat. I unlocked the shield as my first weapon... good call?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really wanted to get this on Switch, but the comments about the blurry resolution and framerate put me off. Is that including docked mode?

Wonder if there's any chance this will be a PS5 launch game?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Finally beat my first run with a rapid-fire, ice rocket railgun. Any recommendations on what weapon aspects to focus on unlocking and upgrading? Titan blood feels like too much of an investment to experiment all that much - I already regret unlocking the shields thinking it would give me the third aspect for unlock.

as someone who has no idea what this means... can you explain a bit?

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Game is better than I thought honestly, I like Pyre and Transistor but didn't expect the combat to feel as good as it does. And I know it's a Rougelike but the way story is presented doesn't really feel like one.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got whacked by Theseus on my 4th ever run and it seemed like that's gonna be my ceiling lol. I rarely beat rogue lites, but I'm loving this

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Megara and escaped Tartarus, died in the next area.

...I definitely can tell the quality of the game and everyone raving about it made me try to get over my apprehension of Roguelikes, but for the life of me I'll never understand the appeal of repeatedly attempting the same content until you reach a perfect run and losing all but slivers of progress. What's the deal with Roguelikes that so many indies are in that genre now?
I do feel that the incremental progress of the roguelite style fundamentallly loses what makes the try-try-again aspect of traditional roguelikes so compelling. Especially in games like Brogue, Nethack, Caves of Qud, Cataclysm, even Spelunky, the skills and experience earned between runs is knowledge and understanding of how systems can work together. And then rolling with the unexpected possibilities that can happen and using that knowledge to adapt and improvise. Also in those games, every attempt is so drastically different that it feels like anything can happen, and anything can be overcome if you have the knowledge and the wit

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Had a set of mostly nice runs and was able to get a 3 win streak. Also got my first completed run with any heat. What do people like to add first generally? I went with +15% health and didn't really notice the difference. Seems like the crystal heart would be another pretty easy one.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exclusive access is the best boon and getting it on the first floor. bruh

Oct 25, 2017
So, I triggered the final quest for the epilogue, and a quick hint:
Boons from Charon do not count toward it
Trial of Gods boons do count (at least the first one you pick)

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I managed it on my next run with the Exagryph! Man that was satisfying to finally accomplish. Unlocked the Pact so now working on running through again to try and get some more blood to unlock more of the weapon aspect upgrades.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe they've added a story even so long after the credits just to allow the player to use Chtonic Companions in the last boss fight. Fuck, Supergiant, why are you so good.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Got to the Bone Hydra using the Adamant Rail. Almost beat it but the second set of heads finished me off.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Wasn't a fan of Bastion / Transistor whatsoever, but finding myself enamored with Hades.

Made it to the final boss
's Second Phase
but lost with a few hits to go.

Turned on God Mode (no shame) and hopeful to have it done and dusted shortly.

Will keep playing until i'm powered up enough to remove God Mode and then jump into the 'real' game.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
Just got the game and on my third run I beat the first two bosses for the first time and died against the third. Is that abnormal? I felt like I got some really fortunate rng potentially

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot believe I just lost at the fricking Hydra after getting an "all future boons will be epic or above" Duo early on. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Granted I was playing with the sword, which I'm not super great at at this point, but still.

Man. As much as I enjoy it, this game has a tendency to make me so frustrated with myself. 😅 I really need to start getting cleaner with my runs / better at avoiding unnecessary damage.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Are there more regular boon drops as you get further? I can beat Meg pretty regularly now... But I usually only have 1 or 2 boons by the time I die.. Also, does it matter who drops them or the weapon you're using?

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
First escape on my 12th run I think, once you get all those extra lives it was bound to happen I guess. Terrific game.

Long range weapons allow you to sidestep so much of the enemy mechanics though, it'll be tough for me to escape with a short range weapon I think.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there more regular boon drops as you get further? I can beat Meg pretty regularly now... But I usually only have 1 or 2 boons by the time I die.. Also, does it matter who drops them or the weapon you're using?
Boons from gods are the same no matter which weapon you use although some of them benefit certain weapons more than others. The hammer item provides weapon-specific upgrades.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
finally got all the weapons unlocked, the Assault Rifle (forget the name) is pretty hilarious. Only played one run with it but I took the thing that makes the special Bomb 5 weaker bombs. Hilarious and very effective.

I also used my first greater call, very cool. Artemis basically ended the hydra

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
finally got all the weapons unlocked, the Assault Rifle (forget the name) is pretty hilarious. Only played one run with it but I took the thing that makes the special Bomb 5 weaker bombs. Hilarious and very effective.

I liked the
conversation with Achilles after you first use it. Basically going "could you imagine if this weapon wasn't one of a kind?"

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So, to be clear - as I'm playing through I may as well go ahead an attempt to unlock all the weapons right away, correct? Resource constraints won't really come until later once everything is unlocked, yes?

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I see Roguelikes as a continuation of Arcade games.

Arcade games are almost exactly the same each time, so when you make more progress on average, you know you're getting better at the game and learning its patterns. Arcade games were pretty much enough to kickstart a whole medium, so there's definitely appeal here!

A Roguelike expands on this by removing the pattern memorisation - you know you're getting better at the game mechanics and not just rote memorisation due to the randomisation of the challenge. Because the core elements are the same between your first run and your hundredth, any progress you make is due to you improving at the game. The trouble with a more "pure" Roguelike (Rogue, Spelunky) is there's no guarantee you will ever make it to the end, and for many people, that's OK.

A Roguelite* kind of takes a step back, it gives you permanent upgrades or unlocks between runs both to kind of guarantee that with persistence you'll eventually make it to the end, and also to ensure you get new mechanics over time as you play, rather than overwhelming a new player with everything. The downside is that it often feels like there's an element of necessary 'grind' to it as the end-content is balanced around having unlocked various things from failed runs. When you fail, you're unsure if it's because you need to improve at the game, or just because you lack the necessary unlocks.

I think the super clever thing that Hades does is for players who don't enjoy the core loop of replaying content solely to get better at it - now there are story hooks so that dying doesn't become a "waste of time"** but a key to unlock the next part of the story.

The reason so many indie devs gravitate toward roguelikes is because they're super fun to work on with unique challenges, they provide endless gameplay, they're quite popular, and there's still a lot of room in the... genre(?) for innovation!

*The distinction between Roguelike/Roguelite is pretty weak but it sort of makes sense for what I wanted to explain
**I don't think restarting an arcade game/roguelike is a waste of time, especially if it was enjoyable.

Is it really the first rogue-lite to have a persistent story? Rogue Legacy 1/2 don't count.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
I was supposed to go on a run today....I probably shouldn't of booted up this game before that happened...

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

'tis done
but also not really

Oct 28, 2017
I'm grinding through the endgame and on high heat I find myself defaulting to a cast build pretty much every single time. It's just too demoralizing to lose a run that I keep playing it safe.

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game,

Can you provide cliffs on what this entails without "spoiling"?

I recently finished my 10th run and saw the credits
Less than what you'd expect, tbh. To put it in vague terms, the character from the credits makes an effort for the whole family. I've honestly no idea why they decided to name this quest as an "epilogue" (or make it an achievement) and put it behind so many runs after the credits, specially when it's not anymore climactic than what you've already saw.
Doing it also allows you to maximize bonds with Demeter after meeting her a couple more times and see even more story events regarding the changes in the status quo. I am still unable to maximize my bond with Persephone, which I imagine is locked behind more story scenes with her.

tl;dr if you are looking for extra closure, the epilogue won't give you any, any story beats not solved are still not solved

Last edited:

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Is the framerate a stable 60 on Switch or does it tank frequently? I'm tempted to buy the game now that it's 20% off on the e-Shop but I don't think I'll be playing it in the immediate future so it might make more sense to wait, maybe let them release a patch or two and then buy it.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really the first rogue-lite to have a persistent story? Rogue Legacy 1/2 don't count.
Probably not! But from the games I've played it seems to be the best integrated mainly due to the enormous quantity of dialogue (as well as the quality) so every time you do a run you hear a whole bunch of new stuff- definitely setting a new standard for roguelike narratives.

I do feel that the incremental progress of the roguelite style fundamentallly loses what makes the try-try-again aspect of traditional roguelikes so compelling. Especially in games like Brogue, Nethack, Caves of Qud, Cataclysm, even Spelunky, the skills and experience earned between runs is knowledge and understanding of how systems can work together. And then rolling with the unexpected possibilities that can happen and using that knowledge to adapt and improvise. Also in those games, every attempt is so drastically different that it feels like anything can happen, and anything can be overcome if you have the knowledge and the wit
Yeah I agree with this in general, though I'm definitely enjoying Hades a lot. I think you could even incorporate a similar narrative structure in a 'stricter' roguelike!

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Had a set of mostly nice runs and was able to get a 3 win streak. Also got my first completed run with any heat. What do people like to add first generally? I went with +15% health and didn't really notice the difference. Seems like the crystal heart would be another pretty easy one.
My first heat was indeed +15% health and won that one with only a little harder effort.

Next two I used the heat that made boss encounters more complex with added mechanics. Each addon only effects one boss (One makes furies more difficult, two makes furies and hydra more difficult etc)
And having two actually gives a heat gauge of 3. Haven't tried 3 (make Elysium boss more difficult, as well as furies and hydra) but imagine it would give 5 or 6 heat gauge.

Think that's the best one, because it makes everything exactly the same, except add new mechanics to bosses, which is what I want anyway to keep it from going stale.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm at the point where I can consistently get to the final boss (barring some bad luck with butterfly balls) but not yet at the point where I can consistently beat it.

It feels good. I can feel my character getting stronger and my skills getting better. It's such a nice ramp

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the point where I can consistently get to the final boss (barring some bad luck with butterfly balls) but not yet at the point where I can consistently beat it.

It feels good. I can feel my character getting stronger and my skills getting better. It's such a nice ramp

Is there multiple final bosses or just the one? Debating about getting this. Is there enough variety that even if you beat the final boss you'll want to keep running?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there multiple final bosses or just the one? Debating about getting this. Is there enough variety that even if you beat the final boss you'll want to keep running?
There's only one. Beating ___him doesn't mean you are even close to finishing the story though. You'll want to keep running because there are a lot of stuff to see between runs.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Is the framerate a stable 60 on Switch or does it tank frequently? I'm tempted to buy the game now that it's 20% off on the e-Shop but I don't think I'll be playing it in the immediate future so it might make more sense to wait, maybe let them release a patch or two and then buy it.
In my experience, it drops below 60 pretty infrequently and when it does it hasn't lasted very long or gotten me killed.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Guys, I already know the characters involved in the first 4 legendary keepsakes, but there are 2 more, and I was wondering if they are a spoiler in any way? If not, who are these last 2 legendary keepsakes so I can start giving them the nectar already?

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I already know the characters involved in the first 4 legendary keepsakes, but there are 2 more, and I was wondering if they are a spoiler in any way? If not, who are these last 2 legendary keepsakes so I can start giving them the nectar already?
There's more than that, actually. I imagine the 2 you know are Meg and Than.
The other ones in the house are Dusa and Skelly
I somehow misread your post.
The other one outside of the house is technically Sisyphus
The last one is finishing Achilles sidequest

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The way this game structures its story is fascinating. Seems like every character has a succession of exchanges that build off each other, but then there are convos that trigger only when you've done certain things, like Meg acknowledging you met Chaos, or Artemis commenting on the bow when you equip it. And then it would seem there are more elaborate story scenes after a certain number of runs... or maybe after unlocking X number of weapons or reaching Y number of chambers or achieving Z amount of character growth? I don't know the trigger variables, nor do I particularly want to know, for fear of spoiling the magic. The effect is marvelous, though - a story that truly seems ever-growing.

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

I am friends with EVERYBODY. Now I can finally go back to Suikoden.

The way this game structures its story is fascinating. Seems like every character has a succession of exchanges that build off each other, but then there are convos that trigger only when you've done certain things, like Meg acknowledging you met Chaos, or Artemis commenting on the bow when you equip it. And then it would seem there are more elaborate story scenes after a certain number of runs... or maybe after unlocking X number of weapons or reaching Y number of chambers or achieving Z amount of character growth? I don't know the trigger variables, nor do I particularly want to know, for fear of spoiling the magic. The effect is marvelous, though - a story that truly seems ever-growing.
No joke: almost everything you do or equip or carry is commented by at least two characters. And undoing stuff is commented too. And sometimes those conversations trigger a chain of ministories for that character, or between them and someone else. It's absolutely bananas.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
Just started this after hearing so much praise from pretty much everyone. Really liking it so far, addictive as hell to keep progressing. Supergiant manages to bring a unique touch to their games with their story, dialogue and voice acting and I think it excels in Hades (I now think I should eventually pick up Pyre). Hoping to eventually escape the underworld but so far only managed to reach the second boss.