• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Demeter is my go to boon.

Love Dionysus combo with her, but Ares aid at full gauge is insane. You're doing damage and being invisible for 6 is great, but I don't like the rest of his boons.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I swear they've changed all the timings on Hades and dodge I-Frames. It's fucking me hugely right now. That damage wave he kicks on phase 2 hits me mid dodge every time even though I know it's coming. Spin keeps getting me too and I had that down for ages.

Also just killed hades and died on same frame, which is bizzare. Had the victory screen while I was climbing out of the pool, which is just what I wanted on a pretty frustrating run in general. Everyone' is talking as if I won the run but I didn't get to see the ending, so I probably just missed a big chunk of dialogue. Grr.

they changed the invincibility frames to cover the entire animation of the dash, but they did that a while ago. Hades' hit box as always been sort of funky (his laser beams just do whatever they want), but I don't think they've changed anything about the fight for a while.

Do know that his animation speeds won't always be constant, chill and hangover can impact it, adamant rail upgrades too, as well as certain heat parameters.

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the Loyalty Card was kept after dying...
Talk about a lot of hard work for nothing.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it sucks to die with a particularly cool combo and know you'll probably never see it again.

I made an ice shotgun bow with flurry + twin shot so I was doing double damage while also slowing down enemies. It made Theseus and Asterius pretty fun and I managed to get to Hades phase 2... I think I need to grind out more darkness for death defy though. There's just too much shit for me to keep track of.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Theseus. If you stand right in front of Theseus you can keep baiting him into his spin attack, which you can easily dodge by dashing through him as soon as you see the circle. Then he's open from his back. Rinse and repeat.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Hit me up with your best Adamant Rail Keepsake + Aspect + Boon combo. My least favourite weapon but I want to experiment a little bit.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Hit me up with your best Adamant Rail Keepsake + Aspect + Boon combo. My least favourite weapon but I want to experiment a little bit.

With the adamant rail, it's all about the Daedalus upgrades. If you get the spread and the rocket launcher, you're looking at insane damage before you even apply boons.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game is fun. I've done about 30 loops and I'm still running into new stuff. I think my favorite combo i've found so far is using the Shield with doom on both the special (with a bonus to number of enemies it bounces to) and doom on the attack. If i manage to get a good damage number upgrade on them I just shield dash around lobbing my shields, being practically invincible and the room just cleans up.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, one question: is there a mechanic in place to eventually let you bypass earlier stages and bosses? If not, I can see this getting old quickly.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Got my first clear, and it wasn't even close. The combination of Boons and upgrades I had for my Spear were just off the charts. I was a DPS monster.

ffCEFBu.jpg

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, got some good work in today. Had my first successful run with the spear, and since then have consistently been making it to the final boss but no second win yet. That means I'm finally getting
the weapon upgrades
too. Starting to see how people are pouring so much time into this game.

Even after kicking his ass several times Theseus is still a huge prick. Someone tell me he gets his one of these times.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
With the adamant rail, it's all about the Daedalus upgrades. If you get the spread and the rocket launcher, you're looking at insane damage before you even apply boons.

Yeah, just cleared a run with Adamant Rail and the rocket launcher, that thing is insane. The biggest setback to the weapon is how the special works launching the projectile upwards instead of straight, when you get this Deadalus upgrade it's another playstyle entirely. Had it with a decent Doom and it was great.

Anyone here knows if there is any pattern in how new dungeon related renovations unlock? Are there key renovations I should pay attention to in order to unlock more? Currently I have some that
add further benefits to existing rooms like +20 coins in jewels room, etc. They cost a few diamonds each. Are there important ones I could be missing by not progressing one of these?

Oct 25, 2017
Chiron Bow goes brrrrrrr and Doom goes instagib
unknown.png

unknown.png

Extreme Measures bosses didn't stand a chance, Pom is stupid good and Aphrodite Call turns bosses and elites on training dummies.

Guys, one question: is there a mechanic in place to eventually let you bypass earlier stages and bosses? If not, I can see this getting old quickly.
No

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I enjoyed this one:

PMY3mQn.jpg

Crits, crits, crits! Had +attack speed from Daedalus and the rocket special. Support fire is so fun on the rail. Lots of stuff flying around. Here, I also had a boon (from Zeus, I think?) that gave some percentage extra attack damage for 15 seconds after your call as well as a boon that sped up the gauge. Stacking that with the aspect's buff was pretty neat. Nothing special with the keepsake. I got lucky here but usually I'd grab Artemis' at the start at least.

Last edited:

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Got my first escape :) Acorn + Athena's Aid + Call recharge over time meant I was basically invincible for majority of fight, damage itself wasn't anything special.

Love the game.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
This game is sooo good. I'm still having difficulty defeating the minotaur and the spear guy though, even with God mode at + 28%

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this a little tonight on PC. I def suck. The first boss I fought whooped my butt. Might have an easier time if I grab my PS4 controller or Switch Pro controller maybe.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game so far, BUT...

(On Switch)

Died to the Minotaur, game crashed while loading, and now crashes every time I try to load the save.

So that sucks. Tried a complete power down, no dice.

What do you think the odds are that a patch will let me play that save file?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The amount of new dialogue and story beats I'm still running into is insane.

It's so well written and performed that even when I die and don't upgrade any permanent attributes I still feel like I'm making progress.

Gonna be playing this one for a while. Phenomenal stuff and easily Supergiant's best.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Greatly enjoying so far, Supergiant can do no wrong. I have done about 9 runs so far. Can consistently get through the first two areas without too much fuss, but getting my ass kicked by the third area's boss (how my last four runs ended) which is a definite difficulty spike, for me at least lol.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review:

For the longest time, I've had a dutiful respect for the work of Supergiant Games that never pushed over into outright admiration. The complete control of their craftsmanship was inarguable, conjuring up beautiful sci-fi fantasy worlds like no other developer of their modest size. But the act of actually playing them kept me at a remove. The combat was, at best, serviceable; a vehicle to get the players into the unique atmosphere. Hades feels like a direct response to that, with fantastic, addictive combat to match the rest of the package. It's the developer's most complete game, in more ways than one.

Hades is a rougelite dungeon crawler, in the vein of Dead Cells or the Nephalam Rifts from Diablo 3. While you always progress through the same set of biomes and boss fights, the room to room navigation is randomized with unpredictable combination of enemies, traps, and prizes. You play as Zagreus, son of the titular Hades, wanted to escape Hell and reach the surface for the first time in his life. It won't be easy; as enemies get progressively more difficult as the journey moves up and death means starting all the way back to square one.

Now a rougelike style game, with its randomized chaos and lack of forward progress as you repeat the same sections again and again hoping to inch further than last time, doesn't seem like an ideal fit for Supergiant and their narrative focused agenda. Quite brilliantly however, the entire concept of death and rebirth has been worked into its story of Greek gods and goddesses. There are dozens of memorable characters, each one supplied excellent illustrations, witty writing, and strong voice acting, with a seemingly endless amount of interactions for players to encounter on their many journeys. Each time you die, you start back over in a hub area ruled by Hades himself, which always changes with familiar and unfamiliar faces drifting in and out with their own sense of history. Dying never feels like a waste, because even after dozens of runs, you'll still find new bits of story and character. You'll want to keep playing because you want to know more about this world and its many inhabitants.

You'll always want to keep playing because, as I mentioned earlier, the combat absolute whips ass this time around. Choosing one of six primary weapons, players will slowly but surely acquire a randomized build throughout each run by combining Boons(Gifts from the Gods) with other temporary upgrades that can be found in the field or bought in the shop. You may start off a bit weak, but soon enough you can turn into a damage-dealing demon of death. Every run has its own potential for fun. Maybe this time you'll be like Captain America teamed up with Thor, blocking and throwing your shield around, chain lighting ricocheting off walls. Perhaps you prefer the Iron Gauntlets, dashing around with Shoryukens and flying kicks, combining Buffs/Debuffs on your enemies. Every room is a chance for an explosive, screen shaking action scene, walls and structures clattering and breaking apart. It can be a very challenging game, Hades, but there are permanent upgrade systems alongside its temporary ones so you always feel like you're making progress. There's few things more satisfying in gaming this year than finally getting past a brick wall boss fight using a combination of acquired skills and strategy.

And on top of all that, Hades has progressively added more and more content to keep players busy ever since it launched in Early Access in 2018. There are so many currencies, build possibilities, weapon masteries, NPC romancing, and random specialized events that makes every run unique. Its an incredibly polished product, snappy and beautiful and intelligently designed right down to the menu UI. It feels like a labor of love for Supergiant Games, and their enthusiasm translates wonderfully down to the player. At last, the twin strands of combat and story are on equal footing, delivering a rewarding, thrilling action RPG that's hard to put down. Its the developer's best title to date, and one of this year's clear GOTY contenders.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is amazing, not that shocked 'cause it's Supergiant but wow! Up with with my favorite roguelikes Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells but the Lore in this is so interesting and well done.

I've only done 4 or so runs but I loved the bow, it felt a lot easy being at range. I got through Meg after losing her with the sword and tore through until the Hydra got me. I think I got lucky with upgrades too, I was dashing all over the place and reflecting anything and everything.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Played a couple hours last night. First 4 tries I kept dying at the first boss. Then got the upgrade that drops your health but gives you like +2 HP with every hit which made the game so much more enjoyable. Got to Theseus and the Minotaur but then died :(

Anyone remember which upgrade that was? Also, does the starting over thing mean you have to beat the whole game in one sitting?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Did the developers ever say they will add more content in the future?

Just curious even tho the game has a lot of content in it already.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Got my first escape :) Acorn + Athena's Aid + Call recharge over time meant I was basically invincible for majority of fight, damage itself wasn't anything special.

Love the game.

Been playing since this post, and got to the surface another 5 times straight after, no deaths.
I dunno what made so much easier, something in the mirror, the higher chance for rare boons? Good thing the Heat system is there.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aspect of Gilgamesh with the right Boons is basically the Crissaegrim of this game. It is insane how it mows everything down.
Poseidon Attack and dash with additional pushback and wall splat damage
Zeus + Poseidon Duo with lightening on pushback with extra lightening strike chance
with Hermes extra dashes.

You become a blender. I probably will never see a run like that ever again.

It took me so long to get Aspect of Gilgamesh.

Last edited:

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Died to the Minotaur, game crashed while loading, and now crashes every time I try to load the save.

So that sucks. Tried a complete power down, no dice.

What do you think the odds are that a patch will let me play that save file?

Hey, first off, we're very sorry to hear you ran into this. Paraphrasing the following info from a post I made on Reddit, as we want to make sure to address any cases of this we hear about. We've been investigating this issue ever since we started hearing scattered reports, and are now actively testing a solution.

A few notes:
- Far less than 1% of our players have run into this and it's only on the Nintendo Switch version (knowing it's very rare may make it feel even worse to encounter; we sincerely apologize)
- We suspect the source of this issue is a specific combination of Mirror of Night Talents. To reduce the already-very-low chances of this issue, please be sure to have at least one rank of every available Talent (don't go all-in on some while skipping others)
- If you wish to continue play before this issue is resolved, please start on a new save slot instead of deleting the one that won't load
- We suspect our fix may make it so you will be able to resume play from the save slot that currently does not load

We really appreciate your patience as we get to the bottom of this and will do our best to get you back to playing without interruption ASAP. While we believe we're close to a fix, the insidious nature of this type of bug is that setbacks can happen in the testing, and deploying patches on the Switch is not an instant process, so we don't have a good ETA right now other than "as soon as we possibly can".

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple hours last night. First 4 tries I kept dying at the first boss. Then got the upgrade that drops your health but gives you like +2 HP with every hit which made the game so much more enjoyable. Got to Theseus and the Minotaur but then died :(

Anyone remember which upgrade that was? Also, does the starting over thing mean you have to beat the whole game in one sitting?

Sounds like a Daedalus Hammer upgrade for the Stygian Blade called Cursed Slash.

And yes, you will always start at the beginning upon death, but there is new content to explore after every run.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
- We suspect the source of this issue is a specific combination of Mirror of Night Talents. To reduce the already-very-low chances of this issue, please be sure to have at least one rank of every available Talent (don't go all-in on some while skipping others)
I've definitely been getting an issue on Switch where if I enable the alternate modes of certain abilities (I think the first, second, third and fifth if I'm remembering correctly) the game will instantly crash when I press B to exit the menu.

Also, on a completely separate note, do you know of any plans for a Supergiant Games artbook? Because man, I would definitely love one that covers the games you guys have put out so far.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just started this on Switch. Debated long and hard between Switch and PC - ultimately knew I'd get more time in if I went handheld... and it looks and runs great but DAMN is it hard to track on the Lite's tiny screen.

Anyway - just did four runs. That fourth run I died to the first boss, so yeah, I suck. But I wasn't paying that close attention. Anyway, any early game tips? Is there any persistence between runs where I oughta focus on something first - I'd rather chase being overpowered, so let me know if there's a OP combo of something, please.

Oct 25, 2017
Aspect of Gilgamesh with the right Boons is basically the Crissaegrim of this game. It is insane how it mows everything down.
Poseidon Attack and dash with additional pushback and wall splat damage
Zeus + Poseidon Duo with lightening on pushback with extra lightening strike chance
with Hermes extra dashes.

You become a blender. I probably will never see a run like that ever again.

It took me so long to get Aspect of Gilgamesh.
The rapid fire dashes with Zeus gave me the chance to play a dumbass build based around dropping lightning while going through the enemy while slashing which was amazing:
unknown.png

It might be my new favorite aspect.

Just started this on Switch. Debated long and hard between Switch and PC - ultimately knew I'd get more time in if I went handheld... and it looks and runs great but DAMN is it hard to track on the Lite's tiny screen.

Anyway - just did four runs. That fourth run I died to the first boss, so yeah, I suck. But I wasn't paying that close attention. Anyway, any early game tips? Is there any persistence between runs where I oughta focus on something first - I'd rather chase being overpowered, so let me know if there's a OP combo of something, please.
Buy more health and dodges on the mirror, the rest will come with practice.