• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.6%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 192 19.4%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 218 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 190 19.2%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

syncyes

Oct 27, 2017
I think my save got corrupted on Switch :( game crashed at the end of a run and now attempting to load the save results in a consistent crash.

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
Man the writing tone on Dead Cells did not match the game atmosphere at all and really puts me off from playing it, way too much forced and out of place humor. All the Supergiant games have excellent writing\presentation\atmosphere.

That is why I also can't get into Isaac and EtG. They are just weird in game universes to me.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Very good in handheld imo, good resolution and a solid FPS.
It's great in handheld. Looks crisp and performance holds up well. If you're planning on getting it primarily for handheld, it's absolutely worth it.
Just beat the 2nd boss. Really loving it on Switch.

I've mostly played it on handheld, but I played a run docked. I vastly prefer handheld. The art and colors really pop on the Switch screen and it runs well.
Looks fantastic in handheld mode and runs like butter (thus far)

Well damn, I guess I'm buying it today.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, traded my first titan blood for a bunch of darkness. Didn't realise it had another use.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Ummmm whats going on with widescreen support? It only gives me the highest resolution then stretches everything?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, traded my first titan blood for a bunch of darkness. Didn't realise it had another use.

You'll be able to trade it up from ambrosia, with other stuff in a limited offer, buy it from Charon at a hefty price, or even get some from fishing, so no biggie.
But don't do it again >:O

Ummmm whats going on with widescreen support? It only gives me the highest resolution then stretches everything?

What do you mean? Got a screen cap?

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I only dipped my toe into Dead Cells, does it have a compelling story?

Hades is the first rogue-like-lite whatever that I have stuck with to the point that I completed a full "run". I attribute that to the awesome writing and voice acting that helps to give a sense of progression even at times when I felt like I had stagnated a little bit.

I managed 2 runs last night, having done like 5 in early access, and am very looking forward to progressing these story lines further. Steam playtime is something like 34 hours :D

Dead Cells has an interesting story but it's pretty slapstick with the violence. It's also punishingly hard, especially after you get through the first iteration of the game. That took me 20 hours or so.

Overall Hades beats it in most aspects, except for the pick up and play part. Dead Cells is streamlined more where in Hades a lot of the ambiance comes from your conversations. Someone on Kotaku said it's like a visual novel + roguelike; I think that's accurate.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I played for a good 5 hours last night.

It plays like all the best parts of Transistor and Bastion were blended together with a dash of Ambrosia. I love Greek mythology and I love roguelikes.

I will say that I don't really understand the heat mechanic in Hell Mode, but I feel it'll be explained better later.

I also love Charon and I've given him all my nectar so far.

Oct 27, 2017
UGH the Minotaur and Theseus fight. Pretty annoyed that the variant where there's a Minotaur fight earlier in the level doesn't result in him not taking part in the final boss.

Do I just have to git gud now? I spent all my titan blood on the spear and I assume I can't get anymore until something happens, or I get through this boss. Anything else I should be doing to try and get stronger?

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was also suffering from the resolution until I output the Switch to 720p. As you mentioned, upscaling to 1080p and then 4K was resulting in an overly blurry image. Adjusting to 720p and letting my TV handle the upscaling improved things substantially (my Panasonic TV does have one of the best upscalers on the market, however, so results may vary).

Still not perfect, but completely playable now compared to the mess before.
Yeah I might go that route. It's just kind of annoying having to switch it to 720p for this game and then back to 1080p for others. I did the same thing with Xenoblade Chronicles: DE, though.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely right.

The one perhaps not entirely intuitive thing is that dash attack effects naturally only apply to dash attacks, while attack ups also apply to dash attacks. In general anyway. So, for example, Artemis' crit on attack will also let dash attacks crit.

I think I read there are few anomalous upgrades, and something like a Daedalus hammer upgrade to attack will often only modify regular attacks. The upgrade descriptions are usually pretty unambiguous about what they apply to though.
Thanks for the reply.

I really like this game a lot so far, and the trove of unlockables leave me always wanting for more. Almost beat second "real" boss.

Quick question : Can I equip multiple keepsakes or just the one ?

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
UGH the Minotaur and Theseus fight. Pretty annoyed that the variant where there's a Minotaur fight earlier in the level doesn't result in him not taking part in the final boss.

Do I just have to git gud now? I spent all my titan blood on the spear and I assume I can't get anymore until something happens, or I get through this boss. Anything else I should be doing to try and get stronger?

Keep leveling up the mirror buffs, as they help quite a bit in general. Also, experiment with the different keepsakes - some might seem like the buffs are almost unnoticeable, but they really add up. As far as this fight in particular:
I always focus on the minotaur first, as he keep rushing you. In his normal 3 hit combo, the first two swings hit everywhere except behind him, so dodge there and hit him for that sweet backstab damage, then dodge to the side to avoid that jump attack then ends the combo. You can lure him away from Theseus, who then will only occasionally throw a spear, which you get warning for with the targeting symbol on you 2 seconds before he attacks. Once the minotaur is dead, switch to focus on Theseus, who is less of a problem, you just have to attack him while he's walking around and can't block.

Main thing is to avoid triggering Theseus' halfway point before the minotaur is dead - if you accidentally trigger that, the whole thing becomes much harder.

Best of luck!

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

I really like this game a lot so far, and the trove of unlockables leave me always wanting for more. Almost beat second "real" boss.

Just one at a time, but you can purchase an upgrade that allows you to switch between biomes.

Oct 27, 2017
Keep leveling up the mirror buffs, as they help quite a bit in general. Also, experiment with the different keepsakes - some might seem like the buffs are almost unnoticeable, but they really add up. As far as this fight in particular:
I always focus on the minotaur first, as he keep rushing you. In his normal 3 hit combo, the first two swings hit everywhere except behind him, so dodge there and hit him for that sweet backstab damage, then dodge to the side to avoid that jump attack then ends the combo. You can lure him away from Theseus, who then will only occasionally throw a spear, which you get warning for with the targeting symbol on you 2 seconds before he attacks. Once the minotaur is dead, switch to focus on Theseus, who is less of a problem, you just have to attack him while he's walking around and can't block.

Main thing is to avoid triggering Theseus' halfway point before the minotaur is dead - if you accidentally trigger that, the whole thing becomes much harder.

Best of luck!

So basically, considering where I am and what I've done so far... I just need to git gud 😜

I have my mirror pretty leveled up, and I managed to get the Minotaur dead and then died to Theseus unfortunately.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
This is the first roguelike/lite I've played that actually makes me look forward to dying. The character interactions and general goings-on in the hall are just so good that death doesn't seem like too much of a punishment.

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Has happened to me with TWO save files already.
Pretty bummed, lost like +10h already.
Reinstalling game to see if it gets better, doubt it though.

Hey, I'm very sorry to hear this -- we're actively investigating what might have happened here. It probably feels even worse knowing the issue is rare. We don't know this for sure right now but one possible work-around is just to quit out after X hours of play if you happen to have been playing for many hours in a row (or just left the game running). But that is just a guess right now.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Hey, I'm very sorry to hear this -- we're actively investigating what might have happened here. It probably feels even worse knowing the issue is rare. We don't know this for sure right now but one possible work-around is just to quit out after X hours of play if you happen to have been playing for many hours in a row (or just left the game running). But that is just a guess right now.

Awesome to hear you're looking into it!
I'm on vacation this week so I have had some pretty long sessions, gonna restart the game every now and then to see if I can get a third file that doesn't break :(

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Bought it and completely forgot about 3d all stars. This game is so good. I could not put this game down, it is crack in digital form.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I feel like Athena's Dash Deflect is one of the best boons in the game so far. It completely trivializes the first boss at least, and helps a lot in the second world.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first roguelike/lite I've played that actually makes me look forward to dying. The character interactions and general goings-on in the hall are just so good that death doesn't seem like too much of a punishment.

My experience exactly! I'm always looking forward to seeing new interactions, so I don't even mind. I don't think any other rogue-like makes the phase in between runs so worthwhile.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
How much of a slow down? Is it major or like dips to 50fps?
I haven't tried it myself, but on Reddit I read mixed opinions. It seems mostly ok, but there are noticeable drops when the action gets intense. Plus the resolution in dock mode seems to be pretty soft. I'll personally wait a bit, maybe after a patch or two.

Oct 25, 2017
BRO
The Elysium boss storyline advanced and they learned a new attack <o>

I believe it's a contractor upgrade where you can have a small amount of urns in each zone contain coins. They turn gold (or a different color)
Some urns with coins are blue, you'll know when you see them!

Besides that;
Just started and game is absolutely amazing.

Quick question is there any reason to destroy the pottery and statues around each room? Are there hidden coins or health or anything?
Dusa's keepsake also gives any broken furniture a small % chance of dropping health. Don't really recommend it tbh

What are some booms and upgrades people enjoy?
Artemis' Support Fire
Dio/Zeus duo Scintillating Feast
Demeter or Aphro on attack/special
Zeus double lightning
Artemis/Ares duo, which makes your build become a cast spamming monster doing infinite damage (ok not really but STILL)

Combos really REALLY depend on the weapon/aspect. For instance, Both special upgrades for the bow (+ shots, + dmg per consecutive hit) + Aphro for big % modifier on special + Chiron Aspect + Ares on attack (damage on the down time between specials).

Spend that darkness on the mirror, learn their patterns, don't be greedy, remember to use your Call if you got one. If you like Spear, try to get Athena on the special; if you get the timing down Theseus own spear throw becomes free damage for you. Remember that Asterius always attacks on 3s unless he does the charge, so avoid that damage and hit him after. Also note that while Theseus is aiming the spear, he cannot block.

One of each type (you'll know when you unlock it). The common keepsakes can be switched between areas after buying a Contractor upgrade.

I feel like Athena's Dash Deflect is one of the best boons in the game so far. It completely trivializes the first boss at least, and helps a lot in the second world.
It used to have like 3 or 4 times the current range lol
It was the best boon ever before, now it's still pretty good but I don't think it's necessary for all builds.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Played my first post-1.0 run; since I was rusty I went for a 0-heat run (for the spear, which conveniently I was missing two bounties at 0 heat), and finished it. Without going into spoilers, I absolutely loved everything after the Hades fight.

3 upgraded boons means its just the next 3 skills in the 1 god selection (not next 3 god selections). ariadne from chiron works the same way - just 1 random boon in 3-selection will be better rarity.
so if you RNG'ed into a boon of a god you dont really want, you just got a rare or an epic of something that is useless to you.
its not really a good deal compared to rarity improval of what you already have or indeed +1 level to 4 of them if you got lucky in tartarus to have that many

i should clarify, when i tried ariadne i got 2 commons and a rare.
when i tried euridyce nectar i got 3 rares and then commons again.

that was long time ago, pre "night" update. but i dont think things have changed. if boons are upgraded on pickup i'd be glad to be wrong but i think i would've noticed that. not sure, never picked those things again ever since

I had a chance to finally test this, and the above is wrong indeed. I got Euridice's nectar, which showed as a boon with 3 charges. After selecting the next god boon (all three options were rare or above), it still got two charges left. So it indeed consumes one charge per boon you get, not per boon shown to you.I'm 99% certain Ariadne's Thread works the same, only it only upgrades one.

It does, however, decrease his health in the boss fight, which is great. He lasts considerably more than Theseus otherwise. :)

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
does the game run on a surface pro 6 (with an i5 from 2018)? i googled it but could not find anything (only that my specs are barely the minimum requirements).

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be able to trade it up from ambrosia, with other stuff in a limited offer, buy it from Charon at a hefty price, or even get some from fishing, so no biggie.
But don't do it again >:O

What do you mean? Got a screen cap?
I have a alien ware widescreen 2k monitor. It only gives me a few resolution options. I choose the highest one and it stretches the game out?

Oct 28, 2019
does the game run on a surface pro 6 (with an i5 from 2018)? i googled it but could not find anything (only that my specs are barely the minimum requirements).

It plays but I'm not sure the framerate will be good enough

youtu.be

Intel HD Graphics 620 l Gameplay l HADES

Antes que nada digo que los programa que ocupo para grabar es FRAPS, Bandicam o a veces el programa de Microsoft Recorder (Windows 10)Así que si ven unos peq...

This is on the same IGP with a i5-7200U instead of your i5-8250U but that won't be much better. The clip is of a 1 year old build so it might run a bit better + the recording software ate a couple of frames away as well.

Always a 2 hour refund window on Steam.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
It plays but I'm not sure the framerate will be good enough

youtu.be

Intel HD Graphics 620 l Gameplay l HADES

Antes que nada digo que los programa que ocupo para grabar es FRAPS, Bandicam o a veces el programa de Microsoft Recorder (Windows 10)Así que si ven unos peq...

This is on the same IGP with a i5-7200U instead of your i5-8250U but that won't be much better. The clip is of a 1 year old build so it might run a bit better + the recording software ate a couple of frames away as well.

Always a 2 hour refund window on Steam.
thanks. then i will just wait and hope for a fast ps4-5 or xbox release.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Got up to the surface for the first time but the boss beat me. I unfortunately bought the anvil right before not knowing it takes away a weapon improvement. And I kinda relied on that weapon improvement...

Anyway, this is pretty fun. I don't really like the shield or spear, but bow and sword are cool. The next weapon is available for purchase now but I lack the keys right now. One more run...

Oct 27, 2017
Was considering this for PC (gaming laptop, RTX2070, i7) or Switch. Does it play better as keyboard and mouse or on Switch?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
BRO!! Went dark on this & now it's out on SWITCH so I can stop being jealous of the cool rogue lite everyone was talking about.

I did one run & I'm in fucking love.
Been playing this over 3D All Stars when I saw it in the Eshop :P

thanks SG.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I love about this is you can save and exit relatively painlessly without restarting a run. There are a handful of good roguelites out there that sometimes I wanna just play for 15 minutes and not have to complete a run and just come back later that day. Feels like most of the ones I stick with let me save exit.

May 9, 2018
Played for 7 hours so far. I echo complements about this being a Roguelike that I don't get annoyed by very quickly. It's not a cheap game at all.

...although I echo the complaints about Thesus/Minotaur though. Did 3 attempts with different weapons with no luck, so will have to think on better strategies though.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all having a hard time with the Elyseum bosses:
practice dodging the spinning slashes, there's more of that coming on your next boss
746044926944608307.png

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Lost to Theseus and Minotaur with Shield.

I really love using shield. It can block, charge. Amazing weapon.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

Best of luck!

This is some great advise for the fight.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
How long does it take to beat Hades? Is there a true ending?
Anything from 20 to 50 minutes. Yes.

This is very misleading. This is how long it takes to do and maybe even finish a run. But I've put in more than 14 hours and feel like I'm just getting going. Definitely unlocked a good amount and fought the boss once or twice but still haven't finished it nor am I anywhere near seeing all the content, weapons, abilities, dialog etc.