• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.7%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 217 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 189 19.1%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh shit.

Switch performance is good docked and in handheld? And it has in-game achievements too right? Hmm

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit.

Switch performance is good docked and in handheld? And it has in-game achievements too right? Hmm
Framerate seems good (keeping to 60 most of the time but dipping a bit in hectic battles).

It's the resolution that concerns me. Every direct-feed video of the game running in docked mode looks sub-720p across the board. Even the UI elements, character portraits, menus, etc. seem to be rendering at that lower resolution.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Framerate seems good (keeping to 60 most of the time but dipping a bit in hectic battles).

It's the resolution that concerns me. Every direct-feed video of the game running in docked mode looks sub-720p across the board. Even the UI elements, character portraits, menus, etc. seem to be rendering at that lower resolution.
Oh no. Will wait for a patch or the PS4 version then

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty misleading of Supergiant to use PC footage in their Switch launch trailer, IMO.

Look at the resolution/clarity difference between the trailer and the Switch gameplay footage below:

I hope that somehow every single video is misrepresenting the game's image quality, as I haven't played the game yet myself. I just think that's very unlikely, however, and that low-res is an absolute dealbreaker for me. It's crushing because I was so excited to double-dip on this for Switch.

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA

Hey, the Switch version of Hades does not have in-game Achievements in the way that it does on Steam (since the equivalent platform-specific feature does not exist). There is an in-game system called the Fated List of Minor Prophecies that's similar to an Achievements system and that of course is in both versions.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, the Switch version of Hades does not have in-game Achievements in the way that it does on Steam (since the equivalent platform-specific feature does not exist). There is an in-game system called the Fated List of Minor Prophecies that's similar to an Achievements system and that of course is in both versions.
Oh, someone from Supergiant!

Would you mind clarifying what resolution the game is running at in docked/handheld? I know that's often a sensitive subject, but in this instance I think transparency would be really helpful. All of the video footage I've seen of the Switch version so far looks to be running at sub-720p most of the time in docked. Is that the case, or is this just a video compression thing happening across multiple videos?

Or perhaps is there some really intense compression at play here that's being applied to virtually every asset in the game, including UI elements?

Please don't take my harping on resolution as an attack on your teams' efforts bringing this to Switch. It's just an important factor in whether or not I buy the game a second time, and as of right now it's a bit unclear.

From a Supergiant mega-fan, thanks for all that you and the team do! I've purchased all of your games multiple times each.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I know it doesn't have platform achievements cause lol Nintendo but glad to hear the in-game achievement system is here. Thanks!

What's the resolution/fps for handheld/docked?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the bow has the furthest push back of any weapon with Tempest Strike. Get that, Flurry shot an those 2 wall damage boons then things get really crazy. Bonus if you can get Poseidon's legendary

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit the game is fucking amazing, and looks and runs great portable (cant speak for docked, I don't do docked).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to get back health? Like is there an item or pick ups on the ground you can get to get some health back?

Im probably too early still and havent seen anything yet that looks like it could be some sort of healing item. I did get an upgrade that heals 1 point whenever I enter a new room, but thats not much lol.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to get back health? Like is there an item or pick ups on the ground you can get to get some health back?

Im probably too early still and havent seen anything yet that looks like it could be some sort of healing item. I did get an upgrade that heals 1 point whenever I enter a new room, but thats not much lol.
Yea, they look like actual food. Some are drops, some you buy from the well, some from charon himself. There's also two mirror peeks with healing properties that you can choose between

kid_zomb

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Would you mind clarifying what resolution the game is running at in docked/handheld? I know that's often a sensitive subject, but in this instance I think transparency would be really helpful.

Hey, yes, the game is 720 undocked and docked, targeting 60fps.

As a frame-rate-sensitive player myself, I can say the game will not necessarily maintain 60fps in all situations. But it should stay there the vast majority of the time (except when things get really gnarly with your character build and the particular encounter). Hopefully it will not be a source of distraction or even noticeable but I know how it is wanting that 60fps locked down cold. Hope you enjoy the game if you get a chance to check it out.

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As a frame-rate-sensitive player myself, I can say the game will not necessarily maintain 60fps in all situations. But it should stay there the vast majority of the time (except when things get really gnarly with your character build and the particular encounter). Hopefully it will not be a source of distraction or even noticeable but I know how it is wanting that 60fps locked down cold. Hope you enjoy the game if you get a chance to check it out.
Thank you to everyone at SG for making such a wonderful game. Def put more time into this the last two years than any other game by far

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So excited to finally play this! Love Supergiant and all they've done. I hope the final episode of the noclip documentary on Hades development drops soon.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you so much for clarifying this point!

So that explains why people playing in handheld think it looks native res (because it is) whereas in docked it looks blurry as a result of scaling up to 1080p (and then again to 4K on most modern TVs).

I'm gonna have to really think long and hard about whether or not to double-dip on this. Since I have the PC version running at 1080p 144hz and play my Switch 50/50 docked and handheld, I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach the image quality reduction in docked mode. Then again, native res in handheld sounds great. Hmm...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the response. Do you guys have any plans to port to PS4? If not I'll just pick it up on the Switch but if so I may wait.

kid_zomb

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Thank you to everyone at SG for making such a wonderful game. Def put more time into this the last two years than any other game by far

Right on, thank you in turn for your support. I hope you enjoy the v1.0 update -- we tried to save the best for last with this one. It was really interesting to figure out the answer to "how do you properly end a game you're supposed to be able to play endlessly".

kid_zomb

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Do you guys have any plans to port to PS4? If not I'll just pick it up on the Switch but if so I may wait.

We've been completely focused on this launch and the platforms the game is now available on. While we don't have immediate plans for additional platforms, we haven't ruled anything out. If you're familiar with our past games, we've brought them to different platforms over time, as the opportunities presented themselves and made sense to us. Appreciate your understanding on this -- I wish we could just magically bring our games to every platform under the sun all at once and have each version be immaculate, but the reality is it's intricate work that requires dedicated focus, especially for teams of our size (~20 people).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
We've been completely focused on this launch and the platforms the game is now available on. While we don't have immediate plans for additional platforms, we haven't ruled anything out. If you're familiar with our past games, we've brought them to different platforms over time, as the opportunities presented themselves and made sense to us. Appreciate your understanding on this -- I wish we could just magically bring our games to every platform under the sun all at once and have each version be immaculate, but the reality is it's intricate work that requires dedicated focus, especially for teams of our size (~20 people).
Makes sense, thanks for the candid response.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow, 1.0 stealth launched? This week keeps giving!

Right on, thank you in turn for your support. I hope you enjoy the v1.0 update -- we tried to save the best for last with this one. It was really interesting to figure out the answer to "how do you properly end a game you're supposed to be able to play endlessly".

I honestly can't wait to see how you answered that question (tonight or tomorrow), because it's one I've really been wondering leading to release, hahah.

I also wanted to express how much I love this game, but I don't know how to do that without sounding like I'm exaggerating for your sake, so I'll just reference my first post in the thread.

Finally got this in the Epic Store sale + $10 discount. I've been addicted to it ever since, so much so that I've already beaten it. :D It's taken around 30 runs.

I want to give it a rest until the next update drops... but I simply don't feel like playing anything else. The Heat mechanic is nice and I want to get the companions and weapon alts (and unlock the remaining talents), so that's something.

This game is love. This game is life.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Jumped in and accidently played almost 4 hours :s

I was failing the first area then the first area boss a bunch of times, then I decided to try the bow, got some lucky boons (shooting quickly instead of power shot, shots putting Doom on enemies, split shot and tons of damage etc) that basically carried me straight to the 3rd area :p

Then made it there again with the sword, but haven't even seen the boss there yet. Great game, and the constant feed of unlocks is addictive as heck.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
For all the things this game does incredibly well, the main one for me is how amazing they are at contextualizing the roguelike mechanics. The story justification for you dying and coming back to life plus all the narrative bits between each run is so fun and well-realized and just something I've never seen done before in such a compelling way.

I haven't even beaten the first boss but I can see myself getting obsessed with this game.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
only about 30 minutes in & I'm enjoying it a lot. Have not run into any technical issues either

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't touched the game in 4 months. Jumped back in to find I already had a run in progress in the first floor +8 Heat lol

So anyways I beat it and got my 35th clear. The ending is great.

Edit:
Y'all killed it. I was wondering the same thing and the way you worked it in was great. I'm 85 runs into the game and I'm definitely coming back for more. Was really pleased how it was contextualized.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For all the things this game does incredibly well, the main one for me is how amazing they are at contextualizing the roguelike mechanics. The story justification for you dying and coming back to life plus all the narrative bits between each run is so fun and well-realized and just something I've never seen done before in such a compelling way.

I haven't even beaten the first boss but I can see myself getting obsessed with this game.

Yeah, it's so perfectly fitting in this game.

Another game where it works well is Into the Breach. An event causes a timeline split into an infinite number of them, so every time the war against the bug is decided (either by victory or defeat), each of your pilots jumps back to the start of a new timeline, with you, as the player, selecting which one to follow (i.e. which pilot to keep for the next run). It even factors into the story, as, canonically, the advanced technology for your mechas is created from plans brought back, developed and iterated over multiple timelines.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, got up to the final boss on my 4th run on a fresh account (using Varatha with the range daedalus hammer, only got Aphrodite attack boon, so I was never going to do good damage). I didn't realize before how much I came to rely on the mirror stuff - now I got enough keys and darkness for the recharging magic, which fits my style much better, so we shall go again!

I just noticed we have at least one of the Supergiant staff in here, so - Thank you! I really love this game, especially after being able to see some of the behind the scenes stuff through the NoClip series. Can't wait until I reach the ending to see how these years of development pay off!

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the third area, playing on Switch. LOVE it, best gameplay from Supergiant so far. Tried 4 weapons and Spear is probably my fav but all of them felt great to play with.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a patch on Epic store, played it around an hour ago. Any idea what it did?

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it an hour ago, now I'm ready to play.
PC players one question please : do you recommend gamepad or KB+M ? (I'll eventually try both but trying to see if there's a consensus)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
PC players one question please : do you recommend gamepad or KB+M ? (I'll eventually try both but trying to see if there's a consensus)

I prefer the gamepad for sure. But I hear KB/M is good as well. Since I started with gamepad and played a lot of it like that, I've grown more accustomed to it, so that's probably why I stuck with it over KB/M when I did try that. The game itself does recommend gamepad, but see what feels more natural to you.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Generally I think it's designed more for gamepad, but there are some later weapons that work better with KB+M. Personally I just stuck with KB+M (with some button remapping), and now that's just what I'm used to.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
What's Next?
We put everything we've got into v1.0 of Hades! As always around our game launches or Major Updates, we'll be monitoring this launch closely to ensure it's as problem-free as possible for all players, deploying patches as needed to address any issues. Once we're sure things are in a good spot, our small team will be taking a break to recharge, and plan what's next. Looking further ahead to 2021 and beyond, we'll be excited to say more about what's in store for us just as soon as we're ready.

Very keen to hear what the dev's have planned for 2021, especially if it's more Hades. I'd like to see more diversity within biomes.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I already have it on PC but might get it for Switch. Feels like a good "chill out in bed" game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to get to the ending on my fourth go at it on my fresh save! Feel pretty good about that! That was very cool. Though, I'm guessing there's more to it yet.. Really interested to see what's next.

Still don't have the Codex though. Seems like it might take a few more attempts before he'll offer it according to the wiki. Wonder if the entries will catch up or not. I thought having to redo stuff would be a bit of a drag, but I love the voice cast so I don't mind going through lines I've heard before, and it's still great fun even when you're not yet super powerful.

Also, I'm just now taking note of how the game introduces the different gods and mechanics to the player. It does a really good job of not overwhelming you with mechanics, trinkets, etc. because there are lot of layers to it once it's all unlocked.

Last edited: