• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Developer Supergiant's Hades wasn't only a game released this past year that was universally loved among critics (check out our very own Hades review for ample proof of the fact) — it also managed the Herculean task of garnering unanimous praise among Steam user reviews as well. In fact, Hades was so well-loved on Steam that it topped the list of best-reviewed Steam games of 2020.

The mythology-steeped roguelike garnered 99% positive reviews after 105,009 votes, with the exact ranking being determined by the Steam 250 algorithm, which comes to a conclusion on a game's position after factoring in both the number of votes it received and the percentage of positive reviews.
www.retbit.com

Hades tops the list of best-reviewed Steam games of 2020

According to the Steam Best of 2020 algorithm, Hades tops the list of best-reviewed Steam games of 2020. See why and which other games made the list.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's based on the rankings of the steam250 website. The top 10 for 2020 fyi is:
  1. Hades
  2. Factorio
  3. Phasmophobia
  4. Helltaker
  5. Half-Life: Alyx
  6. The Henry Stickmin Collection
  7. Risk of Rain 2
  8. Deep Rock Galactic
  9. Persona 4 Golden
  10. Satisfactory

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
It's based on the rankings of the steam250 website. The top 10 for 2020 fyi is:
  1. Hades
  2. Factorio
  3. Phasmophobia
  4. Helltaker
  5. Half-Life: Alyx
  6. The Henry Stickmin Collection
  7. Risk of Rain 2
  8. Deep Rock Galactic
  9. Persona 4 Golden
  10. Satisfactory
Surprised that ULTRAKILL is not there, it's at 99% positive reviews. Maybe because it's on Early Access?

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that ULTRAKILL is not there, it's at 99% positive reviews. Maybe because it's on Early Access?
It's pretty close to the top 10 actually (no.12), it misses it for just 0.03 points
Edit: The url for those that want to check the list themselves
steam250.com

Top 150 best Steam Games released in 2020

Helping you find good games on Steam: impartial games rankings compiled from Steam gamer reviews.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
I played this for about 30 minutes before I stopped. It wasn't bad, just didn't have time to play any longer. Is the first 30 minutes representative of the game in general? Does something special happen later on? Because aside from the voice acting and the art, I wasn't impressed?? I'm playing it later this week to try and finish it since I'm actually off and have some free time finally.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played this for about 30 minutes before I stopped. It wasn't bad, just didn't have time to play any longer. Is the first 30 minutes representative of the game in general? Does something special happen later on? Because aside from the voice acting and the art, I wasn't impressed?? I'm playing it later this week to try and finish it since I'm actually off and have some free time finally.
As long as you didn't hate it or anything, I'd play for a few more hours to see if the gameplay loop clicks for you. The general moment-to-moment gameplay is the same, but a lot happens beyond the first 30 minutes.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The game is still opening up new ways to play after 30 hours. There's systems upon systems in terms of gameplay that keep it consistently fresh.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Hades deserves it, it's a modern classic. Most roguelikes can get stale once you've gone through the gameplay loop a few times, but Hades just keeps getting better.

It's one of those games that doesn't really do all that much that's new, but it executes on them superbly.

I legit had chills when

I beat Hades for the first time, met mom, and then died right away. Most games would just "congrats!" and be done.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is very good so it's well deserved.

Also very happy to see OMORI in the top 50 even though it's been out for only 6 days. Please go buy and play OMORI, it's one of the best games of the year.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserves
Hades is to roguelikes what Hollow Knight was to metroidvanias
Hollow Knight desperately needs a better color palate.

Top 25 rated games for reference
jY0jsHX.jpg
Wow. I didn't know that. Number 2?!?

Anyway, there's a lot of shock and awe around here lately, but Hades was a cheap little game I bought for the Switch that runs at a low resolution on TV and yet it's still more fun than anything else I played this year. I'm a believer.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this game blew up for them, Supergiant deserves it. Their games have always been successful and good but this definitely seems to have reached a new level.

Transistor was my 2014 GOTY and Hades is at LEAST top 3 for me this year so it's safe to say that Supergiant is one of my favourite developers.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it non stop for like a month and a half now and even though I've done basically everything but finishing off the renovations I cannot put it down.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see this little Switch game finds success on PC.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. This is like Hollow Knight where at some point while playing it early on you know it's going to be a classic.