• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 14, 2018
There was a better game released this year(though it technically also released on 2019), but congrats to SG! I've been a fan since Transistor. Sometimes I still listen to the tracks with Ashley Barrett.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
+ DOOM ETERNAL fans

:(
we can't leave out the 13 Sentinels fans either
d54849e3e4d02295_tumblr_mefqllD2EK1rmpdvlo1_400.gif

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. I still wish there was attention paid to Animal Crossing by the games media, but hey.

I mean, ACNH had its time in the sun but I think a lot of people became disillusioned with the game over time. I spent several hundred hours with it and it was great for the early months of quarantine, but the underwhelming post-launch support and them not putting out substantial QoL fixes for the game's flaws soured a lot of people on the game and look back on it less favorably. Also doesn't help that 2020 was just loaded with great games. It was always going to be an uphill battle for AC to win GOTY even with its popularity. Especially with Hades getting so much momentum.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I imagine the threads for this game winning game of the year awards will be a lot more positive than the the last of us part 2 ones lmao.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a great game, but I thought Risk of Rain 2 was more fun to play as far as roguelikes (Also had a killer soundtrack.) Hades has a great narrative and story structure though, I'll give it that. Wish I could somehow merge the two experiences together, then it'd be game of the year. Congrats to Hades nonetheless. It has no real faults and is a very well rounded game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Well-deserved. Nice to see a game that isn't just "let's ruminate on violence for the seven millionth time" win.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the team on this one. I need to get around to playing this game at some point with all the hype behind it.

That said, I hope this is enough to quiet the "only story driven cinematic games win awards" crowd.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Pretty good game. I made it all the way through to the end pretty quickly though and never had any itch to jump back in and keep repeating the experience with all the different weapons. Seems like a lot of people liked it though.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Hades is one of those games that is basically near-flawless from a design standpoint. You might dislike what it's trying to do, but it definitely fully achieves what it's going for. Definitely a masterpiece and well deserving of this award

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Congrats to the team on this one. I need to get around to playing this game at some point with all the hype behind it.

That said, I hope this is enough to quiet the "only story driven cinematic games win awards" crowd.

To them Hades is just getting awards because "obligatory indie game"

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Deserved. Still salty the game won everywhere EXCEPT for the Game Awards lol
(Not trying to instigate fights or anything, just explaining)
That's because it isn't winning everywhere , the game is getting a lot of GOTYs but TLOU2 is still the 1st place by a good margin, then you can understand why it wont at TGA, although Hades also deserves the prize in my opinion(both are my GOTY).
https://www.resetera.com/threads/2020-media-awards-season-tracking-and-discussion-thread.320668/

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Well-deserved! Though I have mixed feelings about how this put SG on the map when I feel like Transistor is a superior product by far. Then again I actually did spend 60 hours playing it despite it being a genre I despise so that definitely speaks to the sheer quality of its execution.

Nov 9, 2017
It's really fun at first. Once you get good enough beat Hades the game becomes a cakewalk though. I cleared it four or five times in a row even with upping heat levels and just put it down.

Jan 10, 2018
Pretty good game. I made it all the way through to the end pretty quickly though and never had any itch to jump back in and keep repeating the experience with all the different weapons. Seems like a lot of people liked it though.

Do you mean the end where you defeated the final boss for the first time or the actual end where the story was resolved?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Ayyyy

Hades is great and is a fairly unique take on the rogue-like genre. They earned the hell out of a GOTY, nominations and an award itself.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
It really didn't grab me, did maybe 10 runs a month or two before it left early access. Roguelike/lites continue to be absolutely not my thing.

I can see all the ways it's well crafted though and people like it so congrats SG.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why indie? BOTW 2 works.
if you take out the cinematic part, the games that get the most awards every year are 3rd person action adventure games (which includes zelda). that's also going to be the case this year, but i'm just happy that finally the big sites are giving the award to a game in another genre.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
if you take out the cinematic part, the games that get the most awards every year are 3rd person action adventure games (which includes zelda). i'm just happy that finally the big sites are giving the award to a game in another genre.

I think it comes down to what the critics play.

Disco Elysium won best RPG against Outer Worlds on TGA, but only the later runned for GOTY lol

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
(Not trying to instigate fights or anything, just explaining)
That's because it isn't winning everywhere , the game is getting a lot of GOTYs but TLOU2 is still the 1st place by a good margin, then you can understand why it wont at TGA, although Hades also deserves the prize in my opinion(both are my GOTY).
https://www.resetera.com/threads/2020-media-awards-season-tracking-and-discussion-thread.320668/
Huh, interesting. I feel like I've barely seen TLOU2 mentioned as a serious GOTY contender at least in most of the outlets I follow.