• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Honestly, it seems like a bit of waste of time to use anything but shield atm. Just got the
gun
. Maybe that'll be more useful.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Used it once, never again, similar with the lance. Im sure theres a god loadout that makes them inctedible, but stopping for an attack in this game always make you feel like you are in a huge dissadvantage.
Bow is what I used to finally beat the 3rd boss. IIRC I had the no-charge powerup + chance of crit from Artemis, chance of lightning strikes from normal attacks as well as dash + lightning from Zeus (and the chance to double cast lightning). I basically rapid-fired my way through lol.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Well I just jumped back in for the new update after not playing since early Feb (damn where did those months go?) and I'm loving the new biome. I stupidly started my first run with healing turned 100% off so I eventually succumbed to defeat on the duo boss in the latest biome. Art is beautiful as ever. New enemy types are cool but damn are there even more projectiles than before... Deflect seems like a necessity.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I got it, the $10 off was too much to pass on. My computer seems to handle 60 FPS at 1080P unless there is specifically the big guys with the maces then it drops to 30 or lower. Probably going to drop the resolution down, the Meg fight has too many drops. My biggest reason for wanting to wait was I was afraid I wouldn't be able to run it smoothly. I plan on upgrading for Ori 2 but that's a ways away so I've been stalling.

Did beat the Meg fight although after that I lost to her 3 times. I had a couple Epic upgrades for the shield when I did win and they were absurd, one did chain damage for 35 and other did explosion damage for 70 if I caught it, so she just melted. Lost that round on the halfway point boss on the next world.

Seems fun so far, not as fun as Bastion or Transistor to me because of he rouguelite nature and RNG in getting good powers. Will play here and there and slowly progress. As usual the presentation, art, and music is top notch. Has a really strong "one more run" pull to it.

Shield seems the best so far.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get into these kinds of twitchy rogue-likes, but holy heck am I addicted!

I got stuck on the second boss for a long while but if you have deflect on your attack and can stop and chill out it's not so bad!

Agree that the shield is the only weapon that really shreds ATM. It's got range + melee and the upgrades are great

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the amount of stuff that changes in the game is crazy! There so much little content:

It blew my mind when like the 20th time you get to Meg it's not Meg but one of her sisters. There's a chance you could never even see that content!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
No it really is OP, blocking and bull rush make you impervious to front attacks, any frontal attacks. You can literially stand in front of bosses and zip back and forth, you can play it super safe too. The runs I've done recentlynit doesn't really matter what boons I've gotten I can take out Theseus.

Mmm. You know the funny thing, i never use bull rush hahaha. Even when I added the 400% to armour on one of my latest runs I never remembered to use it lol
As i move so fast hitting everything, and I wasnt sure when you stand with the bull rush if you get hit in the shield you actually shielded

Bow is what I used to finally beat the 3rd boss. IIRC I had the no-charge powerup + chance of crit from Artemis, chance of lightning strikes from normal attacks as well as dash + lightning from Zeus (and the chance to double cast lightning). I basically rapid-fired my way through lol.

Yeah, seems like Artemis would work really good with the bow. Will probably use it when we start having acvhivements, so it forces me to use it and discover that type of powers.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
This game is wonderful. It's so fucking good that I don't even know where to begin. I told myself I'd play a little bit and then zoned out for two hours straight, working my way up to Meg only to get pummeled into the dirt by her. Now I'm at the point where I know how to build myself on the way to her so that I steamroll her without difficulty, but damn it all if this isn't one of my favorite indies in years.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Reading the topic seems far from optimal that you have only one good weapon (the shield) with the other being mediocre or just unusable because the game is too fast paced...

Multiple viable build is why i play this type of game...

Can someone explain me the weapon situation right now?

Both bastion and transistor are full of viable builds...

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the topic seems far from optimal that you have only one good weapon (the shield) with the other being mediocre or just unusable because the game is too fast paced...

All of the weapons are viable.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The Sword is really great too. Everyone is just saying that the Shield is OP, not the only good weapon.
Although everyone seems to dislike the bow.

Oct 25, 2017
shield is fine

sword is probably the strongest weapon in the game (the special is insanely op)

rail is alright, spear is ok with hammer upgrades

bows sucks butts

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
hades.jpg

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely getting this when it comes out on PS4 or Switch. Supergiant can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Shield is absolutely not the only viable build. I beat the game with the gun/grenade launcher and had a fairly easy time as it's great for crowd control.

Just build what you want.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
So is the full game there as of today?

I was just gonna pull the trigger when it came to Steam and out of Early Access but I didn't want to play something incomplete. Really excited for it though so I don't know!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
buyed.

thanks for the topic mr. bronson, it was the push i needed.

also thanks for all the people who responded to my "build" question.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let's discuss how iconic the Explosion When Your Shield Returns To You power is

I call it the Bronson Bomb

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
So is the full game there as of today?

I was just gonna pull the trigger when it came to Steam and out of Early Access but I didn't want to play something incomplete. Really excited for it though so I don't know!

The game is not complete (3 of the 4 biomes available, 5 of the 6 weapons, 7 of the 8 gods), but I would say it provides a complete experience already. Game is packed with content and is highly replayable. Incredibly well-written and developed characters.

Complete full-version won't launch in 2019 and there is no announced release date for next year either.

If you want to wait for the full game because you want to see the developer's vision fully materialised that's fine, but if your concern is lack of content of polish, I think you should buy it right now.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Really enjoying it, and I'm having a hard time not burning myself out on it before it's released.

Not to detract from the mechanics conversation, but Hades is voiced by Logan Cunningham, right? Am I the only one thrown off by how different he sounds in normal dialog and when he's narrating something? I'd thought the narrator was someone else entirely, but Zag always responds to Hades.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
managed to get to the end of the content available as of now (triple bomb gun build is op)

anyone knows what the hell does it mean when hades appears before some runs and a word flashes on screen?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I got this game because of this thread. It's fun stuff, Supergiant are great at what they do. Died on the last boss.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Had my best run yet. Finally beat Megaera and then made it all the way to the second boss. Had little health so didn't last long, but was a fun run.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the story and characters. Almost passed on the game because the Greek mythology framing is a huge turn-off for me, but by golly, they've actually made it work.

The voice acting is just so... unvideogamey. There's so much nuance and energy in these performances that you just don't get from your usual cutscene-driven shot-reverse-shot conversations. The silly characters are bursting with life and the more serious ones have the kind of elegance that you can only really find in From Software games these days.

The game part also great, obviously. Sword is by far my most consistent weapon (it pretty much guarantees a clear unless I manage to screw up my build in some terrible way), followed by the shield (I don't enjoy abusing the block, so I usually go full Captain Spamerica with it). Bow and gun feel way too boon-dependent right now, so I find myself abandoning runs if I don't get a powerful combo by the time I reach the hydra because a bad ranged build can take forever to kill a boss.

Also, Bouldy is best boy.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Thanks to everyone in this thread who recommended the game. Bought it today, and loving it! Gameplay is very polished already, dialogue is fun, and it is as pretty as all their other games.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this today after buying it early on in the sale. Patch notes are insanely detailed, and it's just encouraging to read through. Played for the first time and only got to the 7th room, but I'm really impressed with this. Visuals are stunning, I like the VO/humor, and controls feel really tight. I can see myself dumping a lot of hours into this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This game is amazing. I want to say it's my favorite Supergiant game so far (extremely high bar), but I don't want to get ahead of myself. It's polished for an unfinished game and the amount of dialogue is breathtaking. It has a well considered gameplay loop that somehow makes seeing the same rooms over and over again tolerable. It has some kinks to work out, as well as some balancing to do, but on the whole this is a great buy for anyone who's a fan of the genre and/or their games