• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I scooped Hades and a few other games up in the Epic sale - so far World War Z and Hades are my main plays (WWZ is a great squad game, really scratching my L4D itch), but Hades has the goddamn juice to it

It's hard to explain, because I freaking hate roguelikes/'one more run' type games, but Hades is so fast-paced and polished already that I just wanna keep playing it. The boons and upgrades you get make you feel OP as hell, right until the point you don't, and then you're right back down to Square One o' Hell all over again.

The combat feels like they learned important lessons from how Transistor felt, and transferred the chaotic potential of that system over while also ramping up the speed of things, to the point where I'm basically doing 3-4 things at a time to stay alive.

Best way to explain it is the last build I had - my dashes and regular attacks knocked foes back, my special was throwing my shield at enemies Captain America style, and when the shield got back to me, it would explode for area damage. So I would basically dash all over the place while my shield bounced around enemies, attack, and then cast a spell to slow them down so they were stuck in this vortex o'doom the whole time.

Part of me wants to wait until they finish the game up so I can barrel roll through it, but a big part of me also just wants to play through everything over and over again until I'm the goddamn master of Hell

If you've played it, what do ya think of it so far?

Edit: Oh on more bit it is best on controller for me, I absolutely hated it on KB/M

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I really want to play this. I dig roguelikes and supergiants previous games so I know I'll love it. Just waiting till it comes to console I guess. My laptop can't run it. ;_;

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I too started playing due to this sale. So far I dig it but I'm a rougelike fan to begin with. It isn't doing anything new for this sub genre to be perfectly honest, but it plays well and looks nice. I'm also a fan of Bastion and Transistor (sorry Pyre, not for me), so I was looking forward to what Super Giant had in store for their fourth game. I've only played 3 hours of Hades and while the game isn't even complete, I can already tell Bastion and Transistor will remain my favorite of their games. Hades is totally competent, but it just isn't striking me as anything super special. I'm probably going to keep playing until I unlock everything available, then leave it be until the inevitable full release.

Also playing with a xboxone controller as that's my preferred method.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Hades is fucking dope.

I was obsessively playing it for like 5-6 hours and managed to beat the last boss of the last update with my last set-up.

For those curious of my general loadout I had the machine gun/grenade launcher. And I focused on getting the triple special attack which lets you shoot 3 grenades at a time, focused on getting crit damage and crit chance up, and then also got the dash reflect/dodge move. Basically just AoE'd everyone and rolled around everywhere getting minimally hit

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I too started playing due to this sale. So far I dig it but I'm a rougelike fan to begin with. It isn't doing anything new for this sub genre to be perfectly honest, but it plays well and looks nice. I'm also a fan of Bastion and Transistor (sorry Pyre, not for me), so I was looking forward to what Super Giant had in store for their fourth game. I've only played 3 hours of Hades, and while the game isn't even complete, I can already tell Bastion and Transistor will remain my favorite of their games. Hades is totally competent, but it just isn't striking me as anything super special.

Also playing with a xboxone controller on pc

I think Bastion was my favorite playing Supergiant game - Transistor had my favorite story, I kinda bounced off of Pyre, but I'm jiving a bit with what they got here

And yeah XBox One controller boi here too, it feels much better than playing the usual KB/M way

Yeah Hades is fucking dope.

I was obsessively playing it for like 5-6 hours and managed to beat the last boss with my last set-up.

For those curious of my general loadout I had the machine gun/grenade launcher. And I focused on getting the triple special attack which lets you shoot 3 grenades at a time, focused on getting crit damage and crit chance up, and then also got the dash reflect/dodge move. Basically just AoE'd everyone and rolled around everywhere getting minimally hit

Is that grenade launcher thing the gun that has a lion mouth on the barrel? I may have to try to scoop that up soon, it asks for a lot of keys for that

That loadout sounds like bullet hell though lol holy shit

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think Bastion was my favorite playing Supergiant game - Transistor had my favorite story, I kinda bounced off of Pyre, but I'm jiving a bit with what they got here

And yeah XBox One controller boi here too, it feels much better than playing the usual KB/M way

Totally agree with the reasons you like their other games. I tried kb+m just to see how it was with Hades, but when I can play with a controller I will almost always go that way. Feels good.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Is that grenade launcher thing the gun that has a lion mouth on the barrel? I may have to try to scoop that up soon, it asks for a lot of keys for that

That loadout sounds like bullet hell though lol holy shit
yeah it's the one with a rad animal for a mouth. You can basically completely ignore the regular attack unless you want to give it something like the charm or disease power up for the status effect to whoever you shoot. To absolutely wreck the trick is to focus on finding the Thor Hammer as quickly as possible to get the triple mortar/grenade. It's fucking insane lmao. Taking out crowds of people in a second.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
MUCH better than it looks in videos. Got the crap kicked out of me by what I think is the first boss, but I'm already raring for round 2.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the part I really like as well is how much dialogue and interactions there are. The world isn't just resetting, you get new dialogue every time you die and respawn and it's part of the world.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Perfect timing, I had been thinking about picking this one up since the art direction is incredible. How do you think someone who loved Bastion, but is not usually into rogue-likes would enjoy it?

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
the part I really like as well is how much dialogue and interactions there are. The world isn't just resetting, you get new dialogue every time you die and respawn and it's part of the world.

That's a good point yah - who kills you/how you die plays into the dialogue a bit, which makes things feel a lot more lived in. That is one thing they did in Pyre that mattered a lot, in terms of whether you won/lost games then

Perfect timing, I had been thinking about picking this one up since the art direction is incredible. How do you think someone who loved Bastion, but is not usually into rogue-likes would enjoy it?

I absolutely fuckin' hate roguelikes but the combat in this slaps so I can forgive it. The runs are also generally pretty short so far, at least for me. I don't like playing games for longer than an hour or two.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bastion is... unique? Even compared to Transistor, the flavor of the world is so distinct. Hades isn't much like that, though it's got a similar vibe in some of the narration.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i couldn't get into it but i don't regret my purchase either. looks like it'll be a lot of fun and production is top notch, but i can only take so many of these games after awhile

just wanted to give supergiant my support. will check back in later this year or whenever

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Finally defeated the last boss. Can't wait to see the next area they create. By far my favorite weapon is the shield, specially when you get the upgrade that lets you attack while it's flying.

Art style is amazing, the dialogues are all well done and the characters are all interesting. I feel like there is still things to discover (just unlocked the "duo" power on one of my last runs).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, any reason we don't have a Hades early access OT? Or at least I can't find it

I've enjoyed maybe like a handful of roguelikes since I've started gaming. This being one of them, and it reached the top. It's Bastion's combat with a bit of cool customization options from different power up combos from the Gods.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
gotta try it with controller (the one for my pc is in a box cuz we moving so gotta find it). Its been pretty damn great but I agree M&K is not the way id reccomend to play it.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Would buy 2 steam copies. Unfortunately thats not possible so I have to buy other stuff. Game looks great tho.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Came in expecting a very different Hades...

Aaaaah... Spoiler alert!
Kid Icarus Uprising for those unsure.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
So I scooped Hades and a few other games up in the Epic sale - so far World War Z and Hades are my main plays (WWZ is a great squad game, really scratching my L4D itch), but Hades has the goddamn juice to it

It's hard to explain, because I freaking hate roguelikes/'one more run' type games, but Hades is so fast-paced and polished already that I just wanna keep playing it. The boons and upgrades you get make you feel OP as hell, right until the point you don't, and then you're right back down to Square One o' Hell all over again.

The combat feels like they learned important lessons from how Transistor felt, and transferred the chaotic potential of that system over while also ramping up the speed of things, to the point where I'm basically doing 3-4 things at a time to stay alive.

Best way to explain it is the last build I had - my dashes and regular attacks knocked foes back, my special was throwing my shield at enemies Captain America style, and when the shield got back to me, it would explode for area damage. So I would basically dash all over the place while my shield bounced around enemies, attack, and then cast a spell to slow them down so they were stuck in this vortex o'doom the whole time.

Part of me wants to wait until they finish the game up so I can barrel roll through it, but a big part of me also just wants to play through everything over and over again until I'm the goddamn master of Hell

If you've played it, what do ya think of it so far?

Edit: Oh on more bit it is best on controller for me, I absolutely hated it on KB/M

I just bought this game myself, I have been playing the crap out of Dead Cells so this sounds right up my alley..

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I absolutely fuckin' hate roguelikes but the combat in this slaps so I can forgive it. The runs are also generally pretty short so far, at least for me. I don't like playing games for longer than an hour or two.

Bastion is... unique? Even compared to Transistor, the flavor of the world is so distinct. Hades isn't much like that, though it's got a similar vibe in some of the narration.

I've enjoyed maybe like a handful of roguelikes since I've started gaming. This being one of them, and it reached the top. It's Bastion's combat with a bit of cool customization options from different power up combos from the Gods.

Cheers all, will give it a try :)

Oct 25, 2017
Hades is my favorite game in the last 6 months. Already beat it several times, finished off the new zone they added on my second attempt

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to try it but I'm waiting on it to be more content complete first. Don't really feel like dropping into an early access game.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Would buy 2 steam copies. Unfortunately thats not possible so I have to buy other stuff. Game looks great tho.
You can just wait, you will have to pay more, but when the game goes out of Early Acess, it will go to Steam and other stores as well.

Anyways, kinda curious to check this one out, particularly since people who hate roguelikes/roguelites seem to love it, and has a guy who spent more than 100 hours playing Binding Of Isaac, and a lot of hours on Enter The Gungeon, and Spelunky, and Nuclear Throne(though not as much), and Monolith, and Wizard Of Legend and Steredenn amongst others, a roguelite from Supergiant seems awesome.

It also seems to have more of a focus on story, but then again, i thought roguelikes did that since the 90's with ADOM, Dead Cells also changes things depending on your actions, and Caves Of Qud also has a big story with various fixed places, named characters and books to read, i thought roguelikes that focused on story weren't anything new, though not all apparently involve time travel with different deaths leading to different dialogues, i will admit that.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I am enjoying my time with it, but it has been kicking my ass. Love the art style and gameplay.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, game feel is way above any other roguelite.
Just beat it, Shield OP tbh

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah, it's great. And as said by others, M+KB is really bad, and Shield's block is way too good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What's the best ShieldBoi loadout? I feel like the explosion one when it comes back is hella important, as is the being able to attack while it's flying around one

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What's the best ShieldBoi loadout? I feel like the explosion one when it comes back is hella important, as is the being able to attack while it's flying around one

Won a run because of an upgrade that increased it's dash attack damage and dealt damage in a larger area. I basically just dashed in and out while attacking. Having Athena's dash helped a lot.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Guh, I want to play this now but I also want to wait for the full release to play it on ps4/switch if they happen.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It feels fucking perfect. Few games manage to feel that good on a controller. Destiny, Dead Cells, Forza Horizon 4 to name a few... The Rumble is perfect and everything feels so snappy. It's a goddamn joy to play.

Love it. Best purchase in a long long time.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's one of the best feeling games I've played in a long time (since DOOM 2016 probably), just the way you move and attack is so smooth and responsive.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm definitely a SuperGiant fan. Loved Bastion, enjoyed Transistor, and was very pleasantly surprised by Pyre after some initial skepticism. Their games have a level of commitment, joy, and polish that other Indies could learn a thing or two from.

I'm all in for Hades - once it ships on consoles.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah put a few hours into it myself because it was on sale. It's great. Highly recommend it for only $10 even if it is early access right now.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I love Supergiant's games, but I need this on console.

Also, yeah, World War Z is really good.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How is kbm vs controller? I prefer kbm.
Edit. Didn't see above comment. So bad....

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really liking it. Bought it two days ago and I've played way more than I should, I don't want to burn out before more gets added but I can't stop playing it. Just beat the "last" boss (assuming it is going to go further by the time it is out of early access) and its so good.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even in its current state, Hades is terrific. It really feels like a proper evolution of Bastion's combat with how crazy faced paced yet mechanically intuitive it is. The production values are incredible, as Supergiant games have always been. The art design is gorgeous, and the writing and voice work is perfect.

I don't know when this is estimated to be finished, but there is certainly GoTY potential here. I honestly feel like I stole it by paying only $7

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Best world-building I've experience in a while. Insane how much style the game has.

I started in February and the game has evolved so much already.